Retrospective US Presidential Election: 1872

Vote in the 1872 Retrospective US Presidential Election!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hear hear!

I'm going to have to disagree with you on Jefferson, Evan. He was an awful President, his only achievement (Louisiana Purchase) not inline with his priciples.

Of course its Jefferson. Hes a liar and a hypocrite, so that shouldnt surprise anyone.

James Black in a protest vote for a true liberal. In our Progressive world, his prohibition wouldn't be able to get passed anyway.

Japhy

Banned
I thought about voting Prohibitionist but all the information I could find about him said he was involved in the Temprence, no mention of opposition to slavery or support for women's suffrage or public education. As much as I dislike Grant's friends corruption and his incompetence, his support for civil rights is most important. To my great relief, this is my last Republican vote.

Thats Tragic considering that there are several more, Pro-Civil Rights, Pro-Civil Service Republicans running in the next few years: Hayes, Garfield, and Harrison.

But if voting party line is most impotant, have fun voting for someone like Hancock, who returned power to Confederates.

Japhy

Banned
Really? From Wikipedia O'Conor seems to have been heavily into "States' rights", opposed fighting the Confederacy, and provided counsel to Jefferson Davis after the war. From what has been said here, I think the progressive alternative to Grant is probably the Prohibition Party, despite their core plank being a failure in hindsight.

No you're right, O'Conor was a terrible racist as well. I was thinking of the 1896 Conservitive Democratic Split and the fact that then John Palmer wasn't highly racist. :rolleyes:

O'Conor in 1860 declared that Slavery Is necessary under the word of God. He's a Doughface though and though though admittedly the Strait-Out Democratic Platform of 1872 Isn't as terrible as the Liberal Republican betrayal of Civil Rights. That said, it is my mistake ( :eek: I feel like an idiot) and if this site wants to consider itself to be Liberal the Prohibition Ticket should be the leading opposition to Grant.

That said, it is my mistake ( :eek: I feel like an idiot) and if this site wants to consider itself to be Liberal the Prohibition Ticket should be the leading opposition to Grant.
Entirely agreed. I was looking forward to the third parties reaching major status in this era; I'm quite disappointed in us for following party labels lock-step.

Japhy

Banned
Entirely agreed. I was looking forward to the third parties reaching major status in this era; I'm quite disappointed in us for following party labels lock-step.

Hopefully the Greenbacks will do rather well. I'm considering voting for Ben Butler in spite of his Lost Cause smearing and poor performance during the war.

Stolengood

Banned
Protest vote for Woodhull; however, if that's not allowed, before the voting ends I'll put one in for Black.

Gee, it has certainly been a while since the pre-1900 series has had any close elections. Not since Van Buren vs Smith in 1848, I think. Grant is winning here with around 65% and everyone since Winfield Scott in '52 has managed to win with 65% or higher of the popular vote.

Do you think that things will get more competitive in 1876 for Hayes vs. Tilden vs. Cooper?

Gee, it has certainly been a while since the pre-1900 series has had any close elections. Not since Van Buren vs Smith in 1848, I think. Grant is winning here with around 65% and everyone since Winfield Scott in '52 has managed to win with 65% or higher of the popular vote.

Do you think that things will get more competitive in 1876 for Hayes vs. Tilden vs. Cooper?
Yes, it will get more competitive there, but not with Cooper.

People don't revere Tilden or Hayes like they do Lincoln or Grant.

Remember folks, the Greenbacks are the party for workers rights, fair wages, ending child labor, amd equal rights for all. No prohibition plank either :p

If you want to avoid US Presidents using federalized state guards to shoot striking workers, vote Greenback. If your cool with all the stuff that happened in the Gilded (Shit) Age, vote for anyone else.

Yeah, but Lincoln is revered by all Americans. Fremont's the one before him, and Grant's the one after Johnson, so...

Sometimes you have to compromise to get a decent canidate into office.

Now is NOT the time for compromise. Vote Greenback, Turquoise. There the party that stands for YOUR principles the best, and at ALL!

Sometimes you have to compromise to get a decent canidate into office.

Now is NOT the time for compromise. Vote Greenback, Turquoise. There the party that stands for YOUR principles the best, and at ALL!
I'll reserve my vote for a few days in. I don't want to throw it away on a candidate that lost quickly.

I've decided to vote for Prohibition as I 1.) Dislike child labor and 2.) Like universal suffrage.

Let's just get Prohibition out of the way so we don't have to deal with it later.