Retrospective US Presidential Election: 1856

Vote in the 1856 Retrospective US Presidential Election!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I say Pierce gets exonerated. His kid died before his eyes right before taking office; do you expect anyone to have a good term after that? Andrew Johnson was average in my opinion. Warren Harding had scandals, but he fixed the economy in barely a year; doesn't that count for anything? What did Coolidge do that gets him anywhere near this list? If anything he should be near the top.

Pierce gets my sympathy for the tragic death of his son but I don't think that excuses his signature on the Kanas Nebraska Act. Civil rights measures. Andrew Johnson vetoed civil rights measures. Cooldge did not enact any progressive reforms.

I say Pierce gets exonerated. His kid died before his eyes right before taking office; do you expect anyone to have a good term after that? Andrew Johnson was average in my opinion. Warren Harding had scandals, but he fixed the economy in barely a year; doesn't that count for anything? What did Coolidge do that gets him anywhere near this list? If anything he should be near the top. And Andrew Jackson was totally badass! :cool: Cleveland, overall, was really good. His first term was perfect, and his second term was marred by a recession that wasn't his fault. So......Hayes wasn't "great," but he really wasn't bad; I can't think of a major reason that would make him terrible? I personally like Tyler. Love Bush :D
Franklin Pierce: Kansas-Nebraska Act. Let's undo the 1850 Compromise in four years trololol! That doesn't have anything to do with his kids.
Andrew Johnson: If Jim Crow is good, sure.
Warren Harding: The most personally incompetent man to hold the office, his tenure was marked by a depression and then a pseudorecovery that would crash in 1929 due to his and his successors' policies.
Calvin Coolidge: Continued Harding's policies even when he realized that there would be a Depression coming. At least he would've vetoed Smoot-Hawley.
Andrew Jackson: Yes, he was badass. But he was also genocidal against the Indians to the point he broke the Constitution by going against the Supreme Court, and enough of an economic fool to destroy the Bank, which caused random Depressions until Wilson's Federal Reserve fixed that.
Rutherford B. Hayes: Sold out civil rights and actively crushed workers' rights.
John Tyler: Vetoed the restatement of the Bank, ensuring there would continue to be random Depressions until Wilson's Federal Reserve. Such a non-Whig in practice he was expelled from the party.
George W. Bush: I don't love him, but I am personally fond of Van Buren for some reason. :)

But you like Strom Thurmond and supply-side, so I didn't expect that we'd see eye-to-eye. :p Maybe about James Madison, he was a really terrible wartime President.

I say Pierce gets exonerated. His kid died before his eyes right before taking office; do you expect anyone to have a good term after that?

No, I don't expect it, which is why he should have resigned from office. Of course, newly-promoted President King would die a month and a half after inauguration, making way for President Atchison. Interesting stuff.

Love Bush :D

You have lost any respect I would have had for you. :p

Stolengood

Banned
At the very least, Harding pardoned Eugene Debs; that's more than Wilson ever did, and at the very least should get him bumped a few places back on the list.

Also, he certain wasn't a fascist like Coolidge... :p

This is fucking hilarious.

Sigged.
He just wanted to be left to his books and vivisection of small animals.
Seriously, I'm not sure if even Dred Scott-pushing Buchanan would do that.

To be fair, Madison kind of tried conscription...

At the very least, Harding pardoned Eugene Debs; that's more than Wilson ever did, and at the very least should get him bumped a few places back on the list.

Also, he certain wasn't a fascist like Coolidge... :p

Well Harding was probably the most personally incompetent President ever, even more than Pierce and Buchanan I think.

Coolidge, a fascist? Fascists are many things, but they aren't boring. :p

No, I don't expect it, which is why he should have resigned from office. Of course, newly-promoted President King would die a month and a half after inauguration, making way for President Atchison. Interesting stuff.

On Different Worlds someone wrote a TL where Pierce died int
the train crash President Acheson gives so much support to the filli usteres a d the Ostend Manifesto tha war with Spain breaks out. The US Wins the war and takes Cuba abd Puerto Rico,but not the Phillipines. There was amazing butterfly potential in that TL.For example I asked since there won't be a Spanish American War in 1898, what happens to the political careert of Theodore Roosevelt?

Stolengood

Banned
HE'S BEAT WASHINGTON'S PERCENTAGE RECOOOORRRRD!!! :D

------------------------------------
*leads I Like Ike-esque "pah-pah" parade as theme song blares*

(one-two, one-two, one-two-one...)

Fremont indeed, Fremont indeed,
Fremont is what our country needs;
From Western shores of Californ'
To Eastern waters, late forelorn...

Who'll re-establish
Our great forefathers' creeds?
Vote in Fremont, and Liberty
To final vict'ry speeds!

(marching drum break; one, one-two-three, one-three-four...)

The greatness of our land, at late
Has wilted at the root;
We'll need a man who knows the way,
And not some empty suit.

A way, a lone, a last, a-loved
Along the river run...
Will lead him back to Washington,
Our noble native son!

Fremont, Fremont, the champion
Of all our people's rights;
Fremont, Fremont, the just and strong,
No doe caught in the lights!

He'll lead us through, through thick and thin,
And then, when he has done,
He'll loose the reigns; what more remains?
-- For John Fremont has won!

I dunno, I heard Antonio Salazar was a pretty boring dude. (An economics professor? Really?)
Salazar was so conservative that fascism is too liberal for him.

The way he brought in the military to break the police strike as governor? That's fascisistic.
Yes it is, but he also was quite the non-racist, but that doesn't make him a civil rights hero. Quite the opposite, with not crushing the second KKK and all.

The closets we had to a fascist POTUS was Woodrow Wilson, and some economic reforms + authoritarianism + segregationism isn't really fascism at all. Even if he did want to be Philip Dru.

Have we already accepted the fact that the Southern states will not cast their electors for Frémont?

Yes, my assumption here is that almost none of the slave states hold popular elections but instead are like pre-CW South Carolina in OTL. The electors can cast their votes however they want, and in this case, they'll be heavily favoring Buchanan, despite his poor showing here. Fremont will still win the EV, of course.

Fremont is approaching the record for the most total votes that any candidate has received so far. The current leader is TR with 104 in '04. So even if Fremont finishes with a lower % than Washington's 85.09% in 1792, he still could break at least one record.

Stolengood

Banned
Yes it is, but he also was quite the non-racist, but that doesn't make him a civil rights hero. Quite the opposite, with not crushing the second KKK and all.

The closets we had to a fascist POTUS was Woodrow Wilson, and some economic reforms + authoritarianism + segregationism isn't really fascism at all. Even if he did want to be Philip Dru.
What about Jackson, or -- can't believe I'm saying this -- Lincoln?

Stolengood

Banned
Jackson, then? But Lincoln suspended habeus corpus; I love the man, but there's a reason that's never been done either before or since... :(