Quirks you put in your timelines

I tend to be a bit of an America-wanker, so they usually end up bigger. Like the OP, I tend to give them Baja California and also Cuba a lot of the time, though.

Not exactly on topic, but, I've noticed timelines and AH stories tend to stop or be set in the year the timeline, or story, was written. When you write a timeline, how far into the future do you go?

Not exactly on topic, but, I've noticed timelines and AH stories tend to stop or be set in the year the timeline, or story, was written. When you write a timeline, how far into the future do you go?

I haven't written a timeline, but if I did, it would be up to the current level of technology, whether that's in the past or the future. Otherwise you just get into science fiction...

Attention to Zanzibar. And Zeppelins. Ideally Zanzibari Zeppelins. Zebra-striped.

Hahaha, nice. Pics or gtfo...

I'm so ADD that I have trouble finishing anything (I realize this is a common problem here and nothing whatsoever to be ashamed of...) that is worthy of this board, but:

For some reason I like rectifying tragic love stories. i.e. Maximilano y Carlota will never ever be separated in one of my TLs if the POD permits. They deserved to live happily ever from a personal perspective, in spite of all the French Intervention bullshit.

I also like "evil bad-guy" nationalist Austria as opposed to the overdone German version.

Mild to moderate Serbia/South Slav-wank.

Finding a happy medium between OTL's rate of technological progress and steampunk. Not even close to Vernian, but slightly better than reality. This keeps it interesting and realistic.

Generally speaking I like legitimizing the "Rule of Cool" by meticulously making an unlikely event as plausible as possible.

And perhaps my biggest quirk of all time: I'm obsessed with combinations. Expect religious movements or forms of governments that combine elements of ideologies which at first glance seem traditionally incompatible. People too. Combining different OTL people into semi-recognizable analogue characters is something I think about pretty much all the time and will never not use in one of my TLs.

Redemption, in that I tend to pick someone in history who went down a dark path and create a circumstance wherein they can avoid it. They don't necessarily become "good guys," but they still turn out better than in OTL. In Falling Towards Earth, this is what happens with Mussolini, who never allies with Hitler.

In any timeline where something resembling the Cardwell-Childers reforms take place, the 26th (Cameronians) will be amalgamated with the 94th (Scotch Brigade), and the 71st (Highland Light Infantry) with the 90th (Perthshire Light Infantry). I'm not even Scottish- I just think it's neater! Historically, all the mergers were a bit of a mess:

26th (Cameronians) + 90th (Perthshire Light Infantry) = Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)
88th (Connaught Rangers) + 94th (Scotch Brigade) = Connaught Rangers
71st (Highland Light Infantry) + 74th (Highland) = Highland Light Infantry

Some claim that the trauma of 1881 led to the Cameronians choosing to go into "suspended animation" rather than be amalgamated in 1968.

EDIT: Also- though this is post-1900- the 44th Parachute Brigade has an extremely good chance of either surviving defence cuts or being reformed soon after them.

Last edited:
I try to inject psychology, Murphy's Law, logistics, human capacity for sheer dumbassery, and averting alternate history tropes entirely if they just exist for tropemaking's sake into my ATLs. Thus my ATL's events can happen and be relatively hum-drum and chaotic in themselves and transformed into mythology-making later on, and thus also some of the ATL states can make mistakes based on ideas of what other states might do, as opposed to what they rationally would be able to do. If people in OTL do show up later on they have completely different fates depending on how closely related to the POD everything is, while I emphasize and deconstruct the ideas of both Great Men and Great Abstractions.

I always tend to marry heiresses in order to create empires in my timelines, I think my interest in Eleanor of Aquitaine made me so but I hate powerful men who just take advantage of the heiresses and marry them just for the land.

I like to make up alternate car companies :)

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Hah, me too.

1. Always loved a good Ameriwank.
2. A more influential Canada without a connection to London.

Canada:
1. Liberal Alberta/Conservative Ontario, as a total switcharoonie from real life.
2. British Columbia almost always gets renamed.
3. Saskatchewan: If the province keeps it's original name, it's dominated by conservatives. If it's Assiniboia, it's pretty liberal.
4: Manitoba will always have at least one major city other than just Winnipeg.
5. Evangelical Nova Scotia.
6. Newfoundland: Always has a few nutters here & there.
7. Alberta & Manitoba: Je parlez français ? Alberta, will, at some point, have a significant French-speaking minority and so will Manitoba in most cases.

America:
1. At least one Southern state other than Florida & Louisiana always gets liberalized to a degree at some point.....usually Tennessee.
2. Texas rarely, if ever, stays completely intact.
3. Ohio almost always gets a real noticeable conservative streak at some point.
4. At least 2 southern states have majority Afro-American populations; usually Arkansas & Georgia, but I've done N. Carolina on occasion, too. =)
5. In most non-wank cases, the U.S. does get the 3 northernmost Mexican states outside Baja(Sonora, Chihuahua, Coahuila), but nothing else.

Europe:
1. Russian Empire doesn't survive. Ever.
2. In the case of a rise of the Soviet Union, it isn't Germany that gets split in half, after WW2......

Russia is always totalitarian and powerful. I like Ameriwanks too, but I'm really a Russowanker at heart.