Prussia recieves Orkney and Sheltand off Denmark in 1863

Quite a lot for the few weeks it would take for the British to gather an invasion force and take them.

Hell wouldn't the Home Fleet just be able to shell the islands into submission if they really wanted to? They'd be one of the first targets in the war, and I doubt the High Seas Fleet would feel it really worth their time attempting to sortie over it.

TFSmith121

Banned
The Prusso-Germans certainly have an interest in the

What might the trade-offs be in the falling dominos of the German Confederation acquiring all or most of Denmark and it's possessions?

As you folks have noted above, IF the Germans acquire improved access to the North Sea - and especially beyond - that would likely get the British directly involved. If the British demand the Faroes and/or Iceland/Greenland be denied to the Germans, what could have been the "sweetener" in the deal for the Germans? The Quid Pro Quo....

At this point in time, the British & Prussians/Germans weren't the mortal enemies of the 20th century, so I assume that some horse-trading would be possible.

The Prusso-Germans certainly have an interest in the Baltic exits and Scandinavia (whether through direct control or proxies/allies); the British certainly have an interest in the Faeroes, Iceland, etc (if only to deny them to any continental power).

The divide seems pretty obvious. Tough for the Danes, but oh well. The British didn't get too worked up over the rights of the Cypriots, nor the Germans those of Hanover.

In the Nineteenth Century, the great powers generally worked things out to their benefit; small powers dealt with it or got crushed.

Best,

The Shetlands and Orkney were given to Scotland as part of a dowry, because Denmark couldn't pay the cash. So Denmark would need to be able to pay that dowry in order to hold the islands.

And why would Prussia want those islands? The whole point of Prussia invading Denmark was to unite Schleswig-Holstein to Germany. Orkney and the Shetlands aren't German, so why would Bismarck bother trying to control them, while also conquering central Europe?

The OP should be tried at The Hague for willful and malicious attempt to genocide butterflies :D
I'm still scratching my head as to why the British wouldn't just capture and keep the islands during the Napoleonic Wars, the same way that they captured and kept Heligoland.