PODs for a United Europe

scholar

Banned
Speaking for myself (Tangerine's argument may diverge from mine here) the point is that the Yellow River provided a base to form a large "Chinese" state around which would serve as a base for unification. The Rhine for instance not so much.
You're only talking about the intial formation of the Empire. This is just not true anymore, and it hasn't been since the time of the Warring states Period in the 400s B.C. Most large states that form in the north do not form because of the Yellow River, in fact the Yellow River is unimportant to that aspect and just one thing of many. To be honest the reason why I'm giving you guys such a hard time with this i because you are basically stating that the reason why France is united is because of Meuse or the Rhine, when we know this isn't true.

Not that China, as a whole, is dependent on the Yellow and Yangtze for food and thus he who controls the rivers, controls the food supply.
China's not just not dependent on it, its that the Yangze river was irrelevant towards the initial formation of China. It served virtually no purpose except for distant outposts and small cities. The Yangze was a river surrounded by swamps and hostile lands. It took thousands of years to tame them, deforest them, and allow for farmland to be useful there. You're only looking at the rivers now and using their purpose now to fill in what it was thousands of years ago. That just doesn't work.

I have to go now, I'll get back to the rest in a while.

To be honest the reason why I'm giving you guys such a hard time with this i because you are basically stating that the reason why France is united is because of Meuse or the Rhine, when we know this isn't true.

You are right, but not as right as you might hope: the Meuse and Rhine were not relevant to French state formation - the reason that Gaul was united under "France" was the agricultural wealth of the Seine valley - it gave the local rulers the wealth, manpower and feudal warrior class necessary to extend control over their neighbors to the south and west.

Actually, the North China plain was not dominated by the Yangze river. Which is why I'm having such a hard time with this. The Yangze river is surrounded my mountains, swamps, and jungles. And, the actual food we get out of it is directly related to this debate. If you are arguing that it is the best agricultural areas in the world, it actually matters if this was true in the past. It was not. Especially the Yangze, until the age the Empire of Wu, and even then it wouldn't be fully utilized until until the Northern and Southern Dynastic period. SO... it is extremely relevant.

You're focusing on one facet of my post and blowing it out of proportion... I never said that the Yangtze was itself crucial to China's agricultural wealth in antiquity. I'm very willing to believe that this was mostly due to channels and smaller tributaries and rivers. Nor was it important in the early periods of Chinese history. In pre-Han times the Yangtze was indeed the border between China and the unconquered southern hinterland, and not especially valuable yet. However, this is not relevant to my argument that the entire region, the flat, well-watered expanse of agricultural land stretching from above the Yellow River alluvial plain as far south as the Yangtze, was a breadbasket for China. My original argument was that it was a breadbasket far exceeding in productivity Northwestern Europe, which it undoubtedly is.

Also, as an off-point, that map of the Shang polity clearly shows a focus on the Yellow River alluvial plain and its direct surroundings... How does that not support the argument that the Yellow River contributed directly to the birth of Chinese civilization?

scholar

Banned
You are right, but not as right as you might hope: the Meuse and Rhine were not relevant to French state formation - the reason that Gaul was united under "France" was the agricultural wealth of the Seine valley - it gave the local rulers the wealth, manpower and feudal warrior class necessary to extend control over their neighbors to the south and west.
True, but I doubt you would Blame Napoleon's Empire on the Seine Valley.

China has hundreds of valleys, each fertile, and dozens of powerful important rivers.

You're focusing on one facet of my post and blowing it out of proportion... I never said that the Yangtze was itself crucial to China's agricultural wealth in antiquity. I'm very willing to believe that this was mostly due to channels and smaller tributaries and rivers. Nor was it important in the early periods of Chinese history. In pre-Han times the Yangtze was indeed the border between China and the unconquered southern hinterland, and not especially valuable yet. However, this is not relevant to my argument that the entire region, the flat, well-watered expanse of agricultural land stretching from above the Yellow River alluvial plain as far south as the Yangtze, was a breadbasket for China. My original argument was that it was a breadbasket far exceeding in productivity Northwestern Europe, which it undoubtedly is.
I took one facet, because that was one thing I was really irritated by, and I meant to get to the rest of your post later. Now I'll just try to see if I can do that with just this post.

I have no real objection to that. My arguments have been based on the two rivers, the Yellow and the Yangze, were not the only reasons why China formed and that the agricultural production from those lands were minor to all of the other channels and rivers. The Han and Huai rivers had food production that would dwarf the Yellow and Yangze. My arguments have been that the plain in northern China was not a homogenous plain. There were hills, mountain ranges, rivers, and such blocking the paths of empires that expand. Sili and Bing provinces were filled with mountain passes, poor land for food production, and were dominated by cavalry to the north and armies on defense in the south. Now both had enough farmlands to be self sufficient, but it's not exactly "booming". Liang was a vast swath of poor lands, dotted forests, and mountains on all sides. Dominated by cavalry. In Yi cavalry is worthless in the hundreds of mountain passes, some incredibly narrow, protecting everything. The moutains themselves isolate Yi, or most of modern day Sichuan, from the rest of China. The lands below the Yangze, and around the Yangze, were harsh swamps, thick jungles, disease ridden, and having mountains and hills there as well. This is why I was arguing with you.You oversimplify China far too much.

Also, as an off-point, that map of the Shang polity clearly shows a focus on the Yellow River alluvial plain and its direct surroundings... How does that not support the argument that the Yellow River contributed directly to the birth of Chinese civilization?
I have no quarrel with how the Shang grew up around the Yellow River. My arguments have been that what created it did not automatically make it easier for it to take over everything in sight. That the lands directly from the Yellow River existed for trade, transport, and military purposes uniting an otherwise disorganized people. They still got most of their agriculture from lesser rivers and channels.