Plausibility check: Prussian-Russian minority exchange

This is mostly caused by my rooting for plausible candidates for becoming healthy and sizable blobs, and only slightly enhanced by the obnoxious quality I perceive in Polish nationalism, which among other things, makes me have the least amount of sympathy for Poland (and Czechia) among all victims of Nazism (Jews and homosexuals get the greatest). Two feelings of mine get mixed here, my sentiments about blobs and the judgement that Germany got a rather unfair (and harmful to Europe and the world) deal out of the World Wars in general and in comparison to say Russia.

Czechslovakia was the only democracy in Central Europe in the 30s, and it treated its Germans well. They deserved much better treatment than they got. Poland had quite a bit of unpleasantness before and during WWII, but that doesn't excuse the treatment they received--let alone being "obnoxious."

Russia won. Victors get what they want, and considering what Germany did to Eastern Europe I don't think any of us are in a position to contest that.

True, but sincerely, I very much prefer an EU-like integration to arise with rather more initial military cohercion and the tragedies of WWII, Nazism, and Communism, be avoided or contained in the long term.

Our EU is still an half-baked open question in my book: I'll define it a clear success when quasi-federal strong supranationalism with fiscal, foreign policy, and security integration is achieved, too. For now, I'm biting my nails for the outcome of the Treaty of Lisbon, which makes the pie only mildly better backed, hoping that no yet more loony populist demagogue clown or bloody electorate of tiny country in nationalist moral panic or willing to vent frustrations for their own national government on innocent EU gets in the way.

I do believe that the EU is possible because of US/NATO military hegemony, so I guess we're largely in agreement here, except that I don't see why we have to be in such a hurry. The EU is what it is and it has to follow its own trajectory. It's too successful to self-destruct at this point.

Here's something you'll probably agree with: I think the EU should admit Turkey and then start working its way around the Mediterranean. The Middle Sea should be a bridge, not a border.

Genocide always sucks but sincerely I think that in the long term, if Native Americans had been assimilated instead of being killed or left alone in their Stone Age lifestyle, their lot and the overall outcome fro the world would have been better. I think pretty much the same for Mexicans or Caribbeans assimilated by a more successful Manifest Destiny, some years of cohercion buy centuries of prosperity and democracy. As for Canada, I deem that 1774-1815 events that left it politically separate from the other British colonies and fostered the development of separate national consciousness were an unfortunate wrong turn of history. The less nations history lets develop, the better.

If you think the Indian cultures could have been assimilated under manifest destiny then I'm afraid you don't understand the concept. A U.S. that absorbs the indigenous peoples is one of a remarkably different character from OTL's.

I would love this alternative scenario. Something like that makes up Brazil's national narrative. There's a lot of ugliness it glosses over, but the end result is a nation where everyone is Brazilian, not simply those whose ancestors came from the Old World.

Hitler got inspiration, true, but if a madman gets the wholly loony idea that his nation can do to 100 million modern Europeans in 10-20 years what European colonists did to 10 million Stone Age Native Americans in three centuries, it's very hard to cast blame on the colonists.

*shrug* In the end, results matter, not original motivation.

I don't blame them for Germany's lebensraum, I blame them for America's lebensraum. Genocide in the name of racial superiority isn't wrong when it's impractical, it's always wrong. The result is millions dead and cultures destroyed. It's troubling that you don't see a problem with this.

As an European, I'll go and state that the world is a much better, prosperous and safer place, with an America that did it, and hence I very much prefer to live in such a TL. Again, it would have been better if the natives had been brought kicking and screaming into modernity instead of killed.

We are still powerful enough to save you in the twentieth century if we don't make it to the Pacific coast.

A PoD that makes Rome successful must perforce remove the instability. Rome was remarkably enlightened and tolerant and successful at productive integration without long-term cohercion and no more brutal than any other civilization of its age. If it had unified Europe and the Middle East for good, in due time it would have in all likelihood evolved to a more liberal socio-political framework, and Western Eurasia would have been spared a truckload of wars, and got much better and earlier economic and cultural development (sparing the Dark Ages in all evidence gives mankind some centuries of technological and cultural acceleration).

Fair enough. It might also mean that Rome goes and wipes out New World peoples sooner as well. But you'd call that a good thing, wouldn't you?

No worse than the other rulers of Europe in his age. It is exceedingly unlikely that Napoleonic European Empire would have reamined authoritarian in the very long term.

So very true.

O hai agreement about WWI

I want political fragmentation rooted out and America, Europe, Asia, Africa, and ultimately the world get as close as possible to unity. The means are irrelevant, as long as they don't give scumbags like Hitler, Himmler, Mao, Pol Pot, Kim, Lenin, or Stalin a free rein, and no more cohercion than a decade or two of military rule or so. As long as cultures are not an obstacle to that, let them be. IMO, however, globalization is showing that having a gazillion different cultures is largely overrated and mankind can thrive nicely with far less diversity.

One thing the people on your list have in common is an obsession with unity at any cost.

The beauty of globalization culturally is not that it destroys cultures, which alas it sometimes does, but that it lets cultures influence one another and create new and beautiful things of their synthesis. A globalization between three world-spanning empires rather than two hundred nation-states would be hideously boring.

Rome had better potential for tolerance than Islam even at its heyday and a Rome that remains united and strong and conquers Germania, Mesopotamia and Persia has practically everything Islam had in its golden age and much more besides. I find your statement untrue.

I don't recall the Muslim empire feeding its Christians and Jews to lions for sport.

He wasn't exactly a liberal, but then enither was Metternich. He also made some talk about being too old for personal government during the Hundred Days. And his states brought real revolutionary measures like the Code and the emancipation of Jews. I can't see any ways in which Napoleon's Europe would be worse than Metternich's. It would very likley be better.

And IBC, personally as Ive said in the Napoleon in Russia thread, I consider Napoleons fall fortunate for Europe. For one thing it ended 20 years of nearly unbroken war, and Napoleon bleeding the French, German and Italian populations white of manpower. And then theres the aspect of francofication politics... at least Metternichs system allowed Europe to develop towards freedoms and democracy in a saner, less violent way.

I must confess I don't know as much about Napoleon as I should. I acknowledge that he had his moments and Metternich his flaws. But choosing between those two I'd go with Metternich. He was one year away from a century of unbroken European peace, no small feat. No offense, but you guys loved war back in the day.

This is mostly caused by my rooting for plausible candidates for becoming healthy and sizable blobs, and only slightly enhanced by the obnoxious quality I perceive in Polish nationalism, which among other things, makes me have the least amount of sympathy for Poland (and Czechia) among all victims of Nazism (Jews and homosexuals get the greatest). Two feelings of mine get mixed here, my sentiments about blobs and the judgement that Germany got a rather unfair (and harmful to Europe and the world) deal out of the World Wars in general and in comparison to say Russia.

Every Pole and Czech child signed Versailles, spat in the face of a German neighbour, and so deserved to die?

Susano, I recomend we withdraw to some easy-going non-lunatic thread about Napoleon.

Genocide always sucks but sincerely I think that in the long term, if Native Americans had been assimilated instead of being killed or left alone in their Stone Age lifestyle,

"Stone age"?

As for Canada, I deem that 1774-1815 events that left it politically separate from the other British colonies and fostered the development of separate national consciousness were an unfortunate wrong turn of history.

Y'know who else believes in "wrong turns in history"? Communists!, that's who!

As an European, I'll go and state that the world is a much better, prosperous and safer place, with an America that did it, and hence I very much prefer to live in such a TL. Again, it would have been better if the natives had been brought kicking and screaming into modernity instead of killed.

"Kicking and screaming"?

Seriously, you need to read a book about this.

(sparing the Dark Ages in all evidence gives mankind some centuries of technological and cultural acceleration).

There basically were no "Dark Ages". Its a historical term derived from past values that's stuck around by momentum, but let's think about this. Much of the Mediterrainian basin came under Arabo-Islamic civilisation which any fool can see was more vibrant than late Rome, unless of course he's biased. And then in Germany or Russia, we have not terribly many sources, whereas previously, these pre-state societies had provided us with pretty much no written sources. Some areas were more prosperous, some less prosperous. Its a bleak field if you study Latin and Greek, which the people who coined the term did (remember, for the longest time a Viking saga wasn't considered to be worth mentioning as a source).

I want political fragmentation rooted out and America, Europe, Asia, Africa, and ultimately the world get as close as possible to unity. The means are irrelevant, as long as they don't give scumbags like Hitler, Himmler, Mao, Pol Pot, Kim, Lenin, or Stalin a free rein, and no more cohercion than a decade or two of military rule or so. As long as cultures are not an obstacle to that, let them be. IMO, however, globalization is showing that having a gazillion different cultures is largely overrated and mankind can thrive nicely with far less diversity.

I missed the bit where the internet was causing all the Poles and Czechs to die.

Rome had better potential for tolerance than Islam even at its heyday and a Rome that remains united and strong and conquers Germania, Mesopotamia and Persia has practically everything Islam had in its golden age and much more besides. I find your statement untrue.

What MRig said. You seem to wilfully blind to the achievments of Arabo-Islamic and subsequent civilisations.

Eurofed

Banned
You don't consider Istanbul to be in Europe? I actually consider the entire Mediterranean area part of "political Europe", and really, the peninsula is only considered its own continent because of politics.

It is more than a little forced to assume a country is "European" because a little slice of its territory is, the same way Spain isn't "African" because of Ceuta and Melilla. Having said that, I'm more than willing to deem Turkey an "honorary European" country and welcome it in the EU because I think that they deserve it politically and the social and cultural differences, although some still exist, have grown sufficiently thin.

True, Europe is deemed its own continent because of a geographical convention, but the sociopolitical and cultural reasons are deep-rooted in history and if accepted, Anatolia has always been part of Asia. The Mediterranean has been a cultural unity in ancient time, but it has been largely if not entirely broken since the expansion of Islam and the divide has only slightly healed, except for Turkey. Geographically, neither Asia Minor nor North Africa are European.

IMO Turkey is a special case and it has grown fit to be welcome in the EU (after it relents on Cyprus) because of the path it has done since the World Wars. The rest of the Mediterranean is not even remotely close to that standard, except for Israel (which might enter the EU tomorrow, except for its territorial dispute with Palestine, and it clearly deserves the political exception just like Turkey). Morocco, if it keeps on its recent path, could grow to be another Turkey in 20-30 years, but for now it is not really fit, and the rest of North Africa is way worse. Maybe Tunisia may become another good candidate in the far future, like Morocco.

Anyway, as an aside comment on the future enlargement of the EU, Croatia is pratically done, now that the Bay of Piran dispute is apparently settled, Island shall be quick-jumped to follow very close on its heels if its electorate doesn't get Euroskeptic cold feet at the last moment (always a very real possibility with these pesky Scandinavians). They are clearly the first next row of enlargement.

About the Western Balkans, officially the next stage, I think there are going to be little problems to welcome Albania, Macedonia (once that silly naming dispute with Greece is settled), and Montenegro more or less at the same time as Turkey or slightly after. They are the second next row of enlargement with Turkey.

Moldova most likely shall join by default when it eventually reunifies with Romania, they are practically little more than a Romania's East Germany where the Communists remained in power for long and roadblocked reunification. Ukraine deserves a place in the EU even more than Turkey even if socio-economically Kiev is less compliant to EU standards than Istanbul. They are the third next row of enlargement.

Serbia, Bosnia, and Kosovo are a no-no until the reciprocal lingering nationalist disputes are apparently settled for good. Similar problems block the potential candidacies of Armenia, Azerbajian, and Georgia. And it is to be hoped that Norway eventually relents its bullheaded isolationism some day after all its neighbors join the EU and the Eurozone. Oil is not forever. Same reasoning with Switzerland, since its status as a tax haven is growing more and more precarious. They are "likely one day, but too fuzzy to say when" potential candidates.

An hypothetical candidacy of Morocco (and Tunisia) would only be fitting well after enlargement to Turkey and Eastern Europe is completed.

I've also read that the only differences between Turkey and the Ottoman Empire is the area it covers and the lack of a king, all the other institutions are the same.

Hmm, I think this is rather exaggerated.

Susano

Banned
Yeah, IBC, I was about to comment why you bothered with those multiquote posts ;)

Now, I say we relocate some Australian aborigines in desert camps, take away their children and deny them any freedom of movement in order to bring them kicking and screaming out of the stone age... or hey, we could also relocate some Amerindian tribes in order to civilisy their lands using white settlement, no genocide involved in that! The respectivbe government should have done that, that would have been so much for the good of the indigenous people...

...wait, they did? And the results were not so good? Why, I never...

(Though I think its fair to call everything between the final breakdown of Western Rome an dthe Carolingian Renaissance, maybe even until the Ottonians in Germany, a Dark Age. I mean, it was rather much a complete social and political breakdown for all territories north of the Alpes, with the llocal rulers being little less than warlords...)

"Stone age"?

The First Nations were Neolithic (New Stone Age) at the time of discovery. People like Tecumseh's brother The Prophet wanted to abandon European ways and go back to 'traditional' ways. That meant, in part, giving up European trade goods and farming styles.

Most 'Indian' nations traded for their metal tools, and never got into smelting, so, in context, "Stone Age" is probably technically correct.

Although, also in context, it sure SOUNDS like an insult.

The First Nations were Neolithic (New Stone Age) at the time of discovery. People like Tecumseh's brother The Prophet wanted to abandon European ways and go back to 'traditional' ways. That meant, in part, giving up European trade goods and farming styles.

Most 'Indian' nations traded for their metal tools, and never got into smelting, so, in context, "Stone Age" is probably technically correct.

At least he didn't call them cavemen.

Eurofed, you should read "Remarks Concerning the Savages of North America" by Ben Franklin. I read it last night and it made me wish I'd used stronger language re: your comments about the original residents of my continent. The influence of the Six Nations described by Franklin would do a lot of good for the world if they were still around, or would according to people who believe in learning from other cultures. Alas, they had to be exterminated for "unity."

Eurofed

Banned
Czechslovakia was the only democracy in Central Europe in the 30s, and it treated its Germans well. They deserved much better treatment than they got. Poland had quite a bit of unpleasantness before and during WWII, but that doesn't excuse the treatment they received--let alone being "obnoxious."

Nobody ever deserves human rights abuses, period. Having said that, you may still have more or less sympathetic victims of an atrocity. My greatest sympathies go to the Jews and homosexuals, which were utterly innocent and blameless, then to the peoples of the USSR, who were trapped in a tragic loss-loss choice between two genocidal regimes as overlords, and least of all to the Poles and Czechs, that gave a significant contribute to Versailles merry trampling on the self-determination of Germans, which in turn fed the rise of Nazism mightly.

Having said that as well, if we talk about what everyone "deserved" in Central Europe, nobody certainly deserved Nazism nor Leninism-Stalinism. Just to use a quick and easy PoD, hand me a TL where a stray bullet claims Caporal Hitler, a sane neo-Wilhelmine regime is the next most likely outcome of Germany's 1930s crisis (if you remove Hitler and hence Nazism but leave Versailles and the Great Depression into place, saving Weimar would typically require nullifying either by much more difficult, complex, and wide-ranging PoDs, even if there is the ever popular Strasemann lives PoD), it strongarms Czechia and Poland in giving back their ill-gotten gains in Sudetenland and the Corridor (Danzig and the pre-1919 German majority areas in southern West Prussia that formed a viable land connection between Pomerania and East Prussia) then leaves them alone, sane Germany helps contain Stalin (or lends an large contribution to defeat him when he goes on an expansionist rampage) and it gradually spreads its economic influence over Central Europe by peaceful means as old animosities die out (or as a result of fighting anti-Soviet WWII), fostering economic development to everyone's benefit. That's more or less what everyone "deserved" (well, Hungary deserved some serious border revision as well, but that's another matter). If this turmoil somehow also would end into a Polish-Lithuanian confederation, and/or a German-Czech confederation, it would have been in the long-term benefit of all parties, for economic and strategic reasons.

Russia won. Victors get what they want, and considering what Germany did to Eastern Europe I don't think any of us are in a position to contest that.

Might makes right rules the world in the end, very true, but even so, you may make a value judgement about how a settlement may be in the greatest long-term benefit of everyone involved, or not. Germany did not "deserve" to be cut back to anything more than the pre-Munich borders minus East Prussia, just like a Russia that had lost WWII would not have "deserved" to to be cut back to anything more than the Brest-Litovsk/1991 borders. Anything more was/would be harmful overkill, and hence "unfair" in a utilitarian sense.

I do believe that the EU is possible because of US/NATO military hegemony, so I guess we're largely in agreement here, except that I don't see why we have to be in such a hurry. The EU is what it is and it has to follow its own trajectory. It's too successful to self-destruct at this point.

A political trajectory (say the EDC/EPC gets off in the early 1950s, or Britain does not join in the 1970s) where the "Carolingian" core of the EU gets a clear federal imprint from the start, before the Euroskeptic would-be stonewallers get a veto right, and the Euroskeptic periphery are left free to get a looser confederal association, and join the core at their own pace if ever, would be much superior to the current state. It is my fondest hope that sooner or later the EU returns to such a more efficent tiered framework, which would be much better for all parties involved.

Here's something you'll probably agree with: I think the EU should admit Turkey and then start working its way around the Mediterranean. The Middle Sea should be a bridge, not a border.

Very true about Turkey (as soon as Northern Cyprus is given up), and true in the very long term, but honestly the only other non-European country that is fit to join the EU before the next generation is Israel (as soon as a sensible "Clinton Parameters" peace is signed with Palestine). Morocco is still decades away from the level of Turkey, the rest of North Africa is not remotely at the same level (well, maybe Tunisia may grow close in time) and anyway Ukraine deserves to join later than Turkey, but well before any other non-European country. There is also the very real concern that admitting any North African state creates a large land border with the remaining basket case area of the global community, subsaharian Africa, with all the illegal immigration mess that would arise.

It may be done, but it's still very far away in the future.

A U.S. that absorbs the indigenous peoples is one of a remarkably different character from OTL's.

I would love this alternative scenario. Something like that makes up Brazil's national narrative. There's a lot of ugliness it glosses over, but the end result is a nation where everyone is Brazilian, not simply those whose ancestors came from the Old World.

I think we are in full agreement about this. When I talk about a more successful "Manifest Destiny" USA as a preferable outcome, it must perforce be rather more inclusionist than early OTL, or it would never go that way. This would not only include the native peoples but propel the USA on a trajectory where it's willing and able to integrate Latin America as an equal partner instead of a quasi-colony. Imagine a Latin America which enjoys First-World status and democracy as a result of USA integration since late 19th-early 20th century, and there is no Chavez, Castro, Pinochet, Somoza, or Videla because everyone is voting for their US senators and governors. I cannot be regard this as a huge improvement for the world.

I don't blame them for Germany's lebensraum, I blame them for America's lebensraum. Genocide in the name of racial superiority isn't wrong when it's impractical, it's always wrong. The result is millions dead and cultures destroyed. It's troubling that you don't see a problem with this.

I see the big problem about the millions dead, but if I'm given the tough choice between no America and OTL, I have to deem the latter is in the overall greater benefit of the world. The existence of the USA makes a big improvement for many more people than the natives in continental US. Having said that, a USA that integrates native peoples is far better.

We are still powerful enough to save you in the twentieth century if we don't make it to the Pacific coast.

Bah. This is very questionable. And it is rather more plausible to imagine a PoD that makes Americans more willing to integrate the natives from the start than one that makes them have a change of heart when they are mid-way across the colonization fo the continent. Besides, why the Sioux and the Apaches would deserve the break that the Mohican and Seminoles never got ?

Fair enough. It might also mean that Rome goes and wipes out New World peoples sooner as well. But you'd call that a good thing, wouldn't you?

Rome had a very consistent record about successful assimilation of peoples and cultures, and only resorted to (admittably very harsh, but consistent with standards of its age) "scorched earth" counterinsurgency when it was faced with bullheaded continuing resistance to its rule, and only used force to the degree necessary to accomplish conquest. They never ever practiced genocide or even discrimination for racist reasons, to them every people and culture was equal once politically integrated, and they only suppressed cultures and religions that became a real public order or national security problem. There is no reason whatsoever to assume that a Roman conquest of the New World would have treated Sioux or Taino any different from Gauls or Britons. At most, it is very likely that they would found the Aztec bloodthirsty religion abhorrent, and gone to all ends to wipe it out, but frankly, is the world a worse place if a religion based on human sacrifice is wiped out ?

The Native Americans would have been treated as equal members of Romanitas the moment thay had accepted it, more or less.

One thing the people on your list have in common is an obsession with unity at any cost.

What they truly have in common is that they built regimes that had no foreseeable chance of keep standing in the long term without ongoing extreme brutal cohercion, and practiced gratuitous mass atrocities for no better gain than fulfilling lamebrained political theories.

The beauty of globalization culturally is not that it destroys cultures, which alas it sometimes does, but that it lets cultures influence one another and create new and beautiful things of their synthesis.

To a degree. There is also a strong element of Darwinist competition when different cultures come into contact, with various degrees of two-way synthesis/hybridization and one-way assimilation/substitution being into play. This is a process that has always been true in history, but globalization greately magnifies the process. However, a civilization like Rome practiced a balance between synthesis and assimilation that was rather close to what would happen spontaneously, when peoples and cultures were integrated into a greater political unity. In that, it was not radically different from modern globalization.

A globalization between three world-spanning empires rather than two hundred nation-states would be hideously boring.

Who bloody cares ? I would trade much greater and earlier world peace and efficiency in dealing with global problems like the environment centuries early for 180 less cultures any day. The sum total of human cultural creativity remains the same whether it's expressed through 3 different outlets or 200. Movies, novels, etc. get written anyway. Besides, some degree of cultural diversity may survive within the empires, only what feeds separatism and hampers administrative and economic unity needs to be suppressed.

I don't recall the Muslim empire feeding its Christians and Jews to lions for sport.

Muslim empires exterminated rebels with the same ruthless efficiency that has been the standard till the late 20th century. The lions were nothing different from public execution of criminals and rebels, which was used to amuse and intimidate the masses and make justice a public show as recently as late 19th century pretty much everywhere (e.g. public hangings in the Old West). Unfortunately for them, Jews under Rome had a knack for making their national religion a rallying banner for bloodthirsty rebellions, and got the scorched earth treatment that rebels got in any ancient empire, accomplished with Roman efficiency, but enjoyed tolerance the moment they gave separatism up. Christians under Rome looked and sounded like subversives that refused proper allegiance to imperial authority and threatened public order. In part, this was the result of an unfortunate tragic misunderstanding; in part, given the atrocities that Christians enthusiastically practiced when they got the upper hand, one may regard Rome's attempt to snuff them out as foreknowledge of the danger they represented.

E.g. if Rome had colonized the New World instead of Christian Europe, the native peoples would have been spared a lot of bloodthirsty intolerance. The Romans would have just suppressed the religions that were dangerous to public order (the Aztec one) and left the others be.

I must confess I don't know as much about Napoleon as I should. I acknowledge that he had his moments and Metternich his flaws. But choosing between those two I'd go with Metternich. He was one year away from a century of unbroken European peace, no small feat. No offense, but you guys loved war back in the day.

If Napoleon had won, the wars would have ceased and peace ruled on the continent just the same, but Napoleonic rule was comparatively more liberal and enlightened.

Last edited:

Susano

Banned
Your idealist view of the Roman Empire has absolutely no backing whatsofuckingever in reality. It was one of the most brutal civilisations in Europe - which is one reason they managed to conquer most of it. Of course, technological advances were also part of it, but lets say so, Greece never did it, right? And if you think that atrocities and genocides are right in the case of "bullheaded resistance" you better leave this site as quickly as possible.

And the USA made live better for billions? Well, for a start, it very greatly contributed to make the live of several hundred millions in Latin America miserable. The American Revolution was a positive ideological impetus for the world, but the existance of the USA overall had a negative impact.

Eurofed

Banned

Technically, you had civilizations like the Maya/Inca that were an uncanny mix of cultural/technological areas where they had developed to Bronze Age level (e.g. sociopolitical organization, astronomy) and others where they were Neolithic and nothing more. You also had the even uncannier Iroquois special case where they had progressed to Early Modern socio-political development and remained Neolithic in everything else. Then you had all the other tribal cultures that were Neolithic thoroughout. It is debatable whether the former group more properly belonged in the Bronze Age or Neolithic classification (I'm not really going in the task of classifying the Iroquois, given their extremely uneven path of development) since they were an hybrid, but the latter had stagnated in the Neolithic level they were since the time of the migration in the Americas. Neolithic was part of Stone Age, so it's technically correct to describe use the latter term to describe the former.

Now, my statement was used to mock the huge lamebrained logical leap the Nazis made in assuming that the practicality (even worse than the morality, since there is no worse evil than gratuitous or stupid evil) of doing similar very nasty things to X Bronze Age/Neolithic people in three centuries and to ten times X Industrial Age people in a couple of decades to an even extreme scale was the same. I utterly fail to see where the insult for the Native Americans lies in that.

Last edited:
And the USA made live better for billions? Well, for a start, it very greatly contributed to make the live of several hundred millions in Latin America miserable. The American Revolution was a positive ideological impetus for the world, but the existance of the USA overall had a negative impact.

What? How so? Please back this up. America proved that a democratic and liberal republic could work.

No, first of people didn't think like that at the time. Beside that what minority problems? Linguistic identity meant a lot less at this time, hell the creators of modern Czech nationalism was German speaking, much of German aristrocracy spoke better French than German, millions of people whom identified as Germans spoke other languages. You try to put a 1914 way of thinking down over 1814 people it don't works.

Yeah, its weird stuff, it always seems to work that way.
The Finnish nationalists were Finnish-Swedes, the Irish nationalists English-Irish.

Eurofed

Banned
It was one of the most brutal civilisations in Europe - which is one reason they managed to conquer most of it.

Oh, please, the standard of brute force that Rome practiced for conquest and suppressing rebellion was the absolute standard for its age worldwide, in any land, culture, and climate. Any ancient culture and civilization did the same if it got the upper hand, Rome was only more efficient in applying the same methods. If you rebelled to any premodern ruler, better hope that you were successful, or brutal mass reprisals would be the price to pay.

If anything, Rome was actually rather moderate in using brutal force to ensure allegiance for its age. Military efficiency was but the least important tool in its arsenal of expansion, in the long term, albeit the one that made possible everything else. The moment a people accepted its rule, it was started on the path to becoming an equal member of the Empire.

If you wish a civilization that was really brutal for the standards of its age, sterile beyond military efficiency, and sustained itself by nothing more than cohercion and bloodthirstiness, look to the Assyrians. And yo and beyond, the Assyrians crumbled to historical obscurity the moment they weakened, Rome has left an indelible imprint on history and was admired and held as a model by all civilizations that were influenced by it. So ?

Of course, technological advances were also part of it, but lets say so, Greece never did it, right?

This is laughable. Greece was not any more pacifist than Rome, only less successful. If anything, Greek culture held an element of racist exclusivism (there were superior peoples and first-class citizens, themselves, and inferior peoples and second-class citizens, everyone else, and it was a blood thing, nothing you could do about it if you had not the right ancestors) that was utterly extraneous to Rome, once you got to be a Roman citizen, you and your descendants were equal to every other Roman citizen. This was also mirrored in the way Greece and Rome practiced slavery, the descendants of an ex-slave always remained second-class citizens in Greece, the children of an ex-slave had legal equality in Rome.

And if you think that atrocities and genocides are right in the case of "bullheaded resistance" you better leave this site as quickly as possible.

Given that the ethical standard that condemned "scorched earth" counterinsurgency only emerged anywhere in the world in late 20th century, I think that holding ancient civilizations to it is self-righteous, pointless, and useless morality masturbation.

Everyone practiced colonialism and imperialism when the USA did it if they got a chance, if it had not been the USA in LA, it would have been some other European great power, and if some Latin American country had risen to great power status, it would have practiced them in their continent and beyond.

Last edited:

Eurofed

Banned
At least he didn't call them cavemen.

Don't be silly. I am not even sure at the moment whether any culture ever survived in historical times that was below the Neolithic level, why I would ever say such an ignorant thing ?

Eurofed, you should read "Remarks Concerning the Savages of North America" by Ben Franklin. I read it last night and it made me wish I'd used stronger language re: your comments about the original residents of my continent." Alas, they had to be exterminated for "unity".

And indeed it was a tragedy that the Iroquois were largely exterminated instead of assimilated. It is certainly a sensible and correct assumption that the Iroquois Confederation had reached such a level of development that they could have been assimilated in the American political experiment as equals, more or less, from the start, had some things turned differently (specifically, if the tribes had sided with the Patriots during the American Revolution). The assimilation of the Iroquois would have provided the early USA a precedent by which they could have embraced a much more integrationist view of native peoples. This is indeed one more "wrong turn" of history, which could have made the USA, and the world, a better place had things turned differently. Besides giving a path to relatively quick integration for Native Americans that were already, or willing to become, farmers like the settlers, which would have substantially cut down the overall suffering and injustice for North American natives, it would have greately lessened racist feelings towards the Latin American natives as well. That would have made the USA willing to integrate young Latin American republics in their political experiment as equals, which would have made both Americas a much better place.

and least of all to the Poles and Czechs, that gave a substantial contribute to the rise of Nazism with their Versailles merry trampling on the self-determination of Germans.

Having said that as well, if we talk about what everyone "deserved" in Central Europe, nobody certainly deserved Nazism nor Leninism-Stalinism. Hand me a TL where a stray bullet claims Caporal Hitler, a sane neo-Wilhelmine regime is the next most likely outcome of Germany's 1930s crisis, it strongarms Czechia and Poland in giving back their ill-gotten gains in Sudetenland and the Corridor
Your talk about right to self-determination is certainly interesting in context of your willingness to give it to Germans but forbid to Poles, who were majority in the Corridor. I wonder what inherent moral right or law decides that while Germans deserve self-determination, the "Slavs" don't.

And considering the record of Wilhelmine Germany in treatment of minorities(Herero Genocide, Kulturkampf, expulsion plans in WW1), or its willingess to use forced labour, or policies like Schrecklichkeit I see a war in Central Europe sooner or later.

Germany did not "deserve" to be cut back to anything more than the pre-Munich borders minus East Prussia,
Allied documentation from Postdam and Yalta is freely available. If you want I can offer links. In all discussions you will find realistic and quite sane reasons for stripping Germany of industrial potential of Silesia which in pre-war contributed to it rearmament and willingness to establish a better defensive border in the Eastern border. The only issue which was discussed with attention was Lower Silesia, but the rest of the border would look the same.

Eurofed

Banned
Every Pole and Czech child signed Versailles, spat in the face of a German neighbour, and so deserved to die?

Neither the children nor the fathers deserved to die, really nobody deserves atrocities, but the murder victim that is grabbed while it is strolling down the road deserves more sympathy than the one that assaulted or verbally abused the killer beforehands.

"Stone age"?

Neolithic (which is part of Stone Age) with partial development to Bronze Age in some cases, if you prefer.

Y'know who else believes in "wrong turns in history"? Communists!, that's who!

Our TL is the best of all possible worlds ? I think Voltaire would have something to say about that.

"Kicking and screaming"?

It is certainly conceivable a PoD which makes American culture willing to accept all natives as equals that embrace (or on their own are close to) American lifestyle and accept American settlers in their midst, without blood-based racism, but it seems very naive that even with this change, all or even most tribes would accept assimilation without some initial cohercion. Nonetheless, the change would greately improve their lot and make the early USA a rather better place.

There basically were no "Dark Ages".

Was the socio-political and economic breakdown of Roman Europe between 400 and 1000 CE a fantasy ?

Much of the Mediterrainian basin came under Arabo-Islamic civilisation which any fool can see was more vibrant than late Rome,

Pretty much any PoD that makes Rome survive as a meaningful continent-spanning civilization must remove the causes of the late stagnation, which butterflies away Islam and Arab expansion. If Rome is a success, Islam never is, nor needs to be, and Rome is everything that Islam was and more besides, so your point is moot.

I missed the bit where the internet was causing all the Poles and Czechs to die.

You are trying to make a strawman argument by the confusion between ethnic diversity and cultural diversity.

Last edited:
Proposal: I nominate this thread for preservation as a Site of Special Scientific Interest, as it contains two banned Hurgans.

As a total side argument, many esteemed historians would say yes.

ZING!

I found the Eurofed's theories troubling. And it doesn't even have anything to do with Poland.

Indeed. But I do think there's a reason why Poles and Czechs are on the worst end of both his timelines and his rhetoric. Even if it is all about his anti-everyone ideology, Germany's position as a big ole' country at the centre of Europe seems to have tinted his views of it and its neighbours, a bit like how some orthodox Marxists began to indulge in good old "buorgoise nationalist" Russophilia.

To say nothing of his views on Rome...

Last edited:
Eurofed, technological progress actually increased after Rome fell. For much the same reason that China didn't industrialize until it was shoved down their throat.