Philip Augustus of France

WI: He had died on the Third Crusade and his son also dies in infancy. Would the French impose Salic Law? Who would his successor be?

Philip Augustus had no younger brothers. His father, Louis VII had several brothers, of which only the youngest, Peter of Courtenay, had legitimate descendants. Peter's son (Peter II) was alive at the time of the Third Crusade and would have had the best claim to the French throne.

In OTL, Peter II was briefly the de jure Latin Emperor of Constantinople (1216-17), but was captured by a rival Balkan ruler en route to his empire. He died in captivity.

At the time, France was nominally an elective monarchy like the HRE. Functionally, it had been hereditary since Hugh Capet: each King would arrange the election of his eldest son as junior co-king during his own lifetime, so the son would automatically succeed upon the father's death. I'm pretty sure that it was Philip Augustus who dropped the pretense of elections and formally adopted hereditary succession.

I'm not sure when exactly the elections were abolished. If after our POD, then there's definitely an election. If before, then reverting to elections is still pretty likely, but it's not automatic.

Even during the period when elections were more than mere formalities, the candidates were always close relatives of a recent King through either blood or marriage, so I'd expect the only candidates to be cousins or brothers-in-law of Philip.

I can't find any info on who the electors were: all the nobles of France, or just those above a certain rank, or an even smaller privileged set of electors. Anyone have specific information or ideas on where to look?

Bee said:
His father, Louis VII had several brothers, of which only the youngest, Peter of Courtenay, had legitimate descendants.
You're actually forgetting Robert of Dreux, a younger brother of Louis VII but an older brother of Peter of Courtenay, who had legitimate issue. In fact, the House of Dreux was still around by the time of the Hundread Years War. Besides, Robert I of Dreux was a rather important figure in Philippe Augustus' early reign and his son Robert II fought several times by Philippe's side (most notably at Bouvines).

If Philippe dies on the Third Crusade and Louis VIII dies young, then it's Robert II of Dreux who is the senior Capetian and heir by Salic Law.
Maniakes said:
At the time, France was nominally an elective monarchy like the HRE. Functionally, it had been hereditary since Hugh Capet: each King would arrange the election of his eldest son as junior co-king during his own lifetime, so the son would automatically succeed upon the father's death. I'm pretty sure that it was Philip Augustus who dropped the pretense of elections and formally adopted hereditary succession.

I'm not sure when exactly the elections were abolished. If after our POD, then there's definitely an election. If before, then reverting to elections is still pretty likely, but it's not automatic.
Philippe Augustus is definitely the one who put an end to have the son of the French King crowned as a junior King. He was the last King crowned as such (in 1179, one year before his father's death) and his son was the first crowned King only after his father's death. However, he didn't really abolish the election: he had simply become too powerful for his nobles to oppose. Let's not forget that during his reign, he crushed the Plantagenêts, greatly increased the siez of the Royal Dosmaine, took full advantage of the fact he was at the head of the feudal hierarchy of France and basically turned his Kingdom into the strongest Kingdom of its time after Bouvines.

That being said, when he went on Crusade, he wasn't that powerful yet. In fact, he was still pretty weak though he had started reforms that would eventually make him what he became. So, if he dies on Crusade and his son dies young, I'm pretty sure the nobility would revert to Election for Kingship.
Maniakes said:
Even during the period when elections were more than mere formalities, the candidates were always close relatives of a recent King through either blood or marriage, so I'd expect the only candidates to be cousins or brothers-in-law of Philip.
If we take Salic Law, the first candidate would be Robert II of Dreux, Philippe's 1st cousin. He isn't that powerful and Salic Law is a concept that would was first used in 1316 OTL. That being said, I believe he can make a case and eventually find supporters of his rights as the senior male Capetian.

But then, we have to account for Philippe's half-sisters (the daughters of Louis VII and Eleanor of Aquitaine), who were married into the strong Blois-Champagne family. The eldest, Marie, had been married to Henri I of Champagne, while the youngest, Alix, was the wife of Theobald V of Blois, brother of the former. Considering the cadet branch would likely follow the senior one, I guess that mean that the candidate of the Blois-Champagne family would be Marie's son, Henri II of Champagne. In my opinion, he would probably be the one to end up on the throne in these conditions, simply because the Blois-Champagne were in a very strong position.

Philppe had two other half-sister (the daughters of Louis VII and Constance of Castille), but they wouldn't be considered. Marguerite, the eldest, was sterile and she was the wife of Belà III of Hungary. The other daughter, Adèle, is unmarried at the time: she should have been the wife of Richard Lionheart but he broke his engagement with her.

As for Philippe's direct sister, Agnès/Anne, she is in Byzantium. She was first married to Alexios II Komnenos, then to his uncle Andronicus I when the latter overthrowed the former. Andronicus has been overthrown by the time of the Crusade and Agnès/Anne will never leave the Empire.

One last candidate does have to be considered though: the most powerful vassal in the realm, namely Richard Lionheart. He holds the Western half of France (being Duke of Normandy & Aquitaine, as well as Count of Anjou, Maine & Tourraine) and he could probably be able to become King of France by right of conquest. Sure, he has no direct bloodlink to the last King (or a very thin one people won't care to remember) but he could be able to sit on the throne if he wanted. Besides, the Capetians themselves also had no direct bloodlink to the Carolingians when they were chosen, so it could make a good precedent for Richard to use. That said, I'm not sure he would consider the possibility of taking the crown of France: after all, the Blois-Champagne candidate would be his nephew (since he is a grandson of Eleanor of Aquitaine, Richard's mother). Besides, he is already King of England and strong enough not to care about his liege for his French lands.
Maniakes said:
I can't find any info on who the electors were: all the nobles of France, or just those above a certain rank, or an even smaller privileged set of electors. Anyone have specific information or ideas on where to look?
Matteo said:
The were 12 peers : 6 were the most important vassals of the king, and 6 were the most important bishops.
Here are the peers at the time of the Third Crusade:

Richard Lionheart, as Duke of Normandy AND Duke of Aquitaine.
Henri II, Count of Champagne.
Hugues III, Duke of Burgudny. Considering he died in 1192, it could also be his son, Eudes III. Member of a junior branch of the Capetians, but they apparently had differnt attitudes towards France: Hugues III was very aggressive, was Eudes III was more friendly. It also seems to me that Hugues III fought by Richard's sides during the Crusades, but that was after Philippe's departure OTL.
Raymond V, Count of Toulouse. Since he died in 1194, it could also be his son Raymond VI. Raymond V's wife and Raymond VI's mother was Constance, sister of Louis VII and thus Philippe Augustus' aunt. We also have to account for the Toulouse/Aquitaine feud as well and the fact Henry II (Richard's father) had forced Toulouse into Vassalization: both Raymonds could be tempted to do something about that, and this could influence their decision.
Philippe of Alsace, Count of Flanders. He died in 1191, leaving as his successors his sister Margaret and her husband, Baldwin VIII, also count of Hainaut (as Baldwin V). Margaret and Baldwin were the parents of Philippe Augustus' wife, Isabella, who was also the mother of Louis VIII. A the time, Philippe of Alsace had made Artois the dowry of Isabella, so this could play a part. Also, the succession of Flanders needed negotiations OTL.

Guillaume aux Blanche-Mains, Archbishop of Reims. A younger brother to Henri II, Count of Champagne, and Theobald V, Count of Blois.
Manasses de Bar, Bishop of Langres. Since he died in 1193, it could be his successor, Garnier II de Rochefort.
Philippe de Dreux, Bishop of Beauvais. A younger brother to Robert II of Dreux.
Rotrou de Perche, Bishop of Châlons.
Etienne de Nemours, Bishop of Noyon.
Roger de Rosoy, Bishop of Laon.