Party Like Iraq's Tsar (totally, dude)

This has to go a ways back, because this means Russia has to beat the Ottomans, Persians, and the British if it takes long enough (the British empire disliked both the idea of Russia getting an outlet to the meditarranean, and Russians in Mesopotamia threatenes the lifeline to india.

Russo*-Ottoman Union!

Now, this might sound like crazy talk, but let's backtrack a little (actaully, a lot). Most of southwest Russia was dominated by Islamic states, like Astrakhan, the Golden Horde, and Kazan. Should one of these subdue the others and take the place of OTL Muscovy, we could very well see a Muslim-dominated Russia. They might not bother with the northern reaches, so Novgorod and Pskov will probably survive.

Now, Russiya (yeah, I know it woudn't be Arab, but I just have to call it that) will be perpetually struggling against the Christian (most probably Orthodox) countries of Eastern Europe. In the south, the Ottomans are having the same problem, even though this will later be the reason for their expansion.

In the early 1500s, both Russiya and Turkey are relatively small states, and constant war with the Christians of Eastern Europe will drive them to have close relations. Think royal marriages at first, but eventually they'll engage in a Russo*-Ottoman Union. Maybe even eventually welding into one state.

*- Not actually Russia. This 'Russiya' would be mostly populated by Tartar and Kazanian peoples. Kazan may just stick, but if it has explanded like I said it would, than they might well settle on a new name.

The First Russo-Persian War (1722-23) resulted in large gains for Russia, and alliances with the Georgians and Armenians. These gains were the southern coast of the Caspian Sea. The gains were given back to the Persians in order to get the Persians into an anti-Ottoman alliance. Let's say those gains aren't returned. With those gains in hand, then the Russians have a better base from which to launch further attacks.

With control of the southern coast of the Caspian Sea, the Russians get more involved in the Persians' war for the Peacock Throne. Catherine gets directly involved in the war, and decides to support one of the claimants, placing a Russian puppet on the Peacock Throne.

When Catherine dies, Russian support immediately ends, and the puppet is overthrown. Under Alexander I the Russians take more interest in the Persians, and once again start intervening in Persia. Alexander I's war against the Persians (1818-1823) Once again puts a Russian puppet on the Persian throne. The Russian move is opposed by the British, who support their own candidate, and the Peacock Throne remains contested. Meanwhile, the Russian wring territorial concessions out of their puppet, extending their territory, but fatally weaken him, and the British candidate defeats and executes his Russian rival.

The Russian-British rivalry continues, but with the Russian control of more territory in the Caucus and with control of the entire Caspian Sea litterol, the Russians push into eastern Anatolia, taking control of Armenia by the mid-19th century. With this base, as the Russian rivalry with the British grows the Russians look for a warm water port, they decide that Basra is the perfect place to get one. The Russians go for Basra, and successfully get it from the Ottomans. The result of all this rivalry in Persia is that formal annexation by both the British and Russians is increased. Ultimately the Russians control a lot of territory, and the British end up as the formal protectors of the Shah, with a similar relationship to the Indian princes. The Russians get Basra, but in the process the British end up with control of the Straight of Hormuz, so control of Basra is rather pointless.