Our Fallen Heroes: The Story of an Alternate America

Introduction
NlTRBD1.png

Thanks to @SargentHawk for making the titlecard!

Our Fallen Heroes: The Story of an Alternate America

In 1783, the United States of America was still young, fresh out of a victory in the Revolutionary War. However, in that short two year span, the fledgling nation had already been tested. The economy was in shambles, exacerbated by the weakness of the federal government. Each state was deep in its own personal debt, and the Articles of Confederation had no ability to alleviate them, leaving the states to find their own ways to deal with the collapse.

Maryland was, like most southern states, close to ending their debt, but needed one last push to put it over the edge. So, the state government in Annapolis chose to impose a land tax on the citizens, requiring them to pay in gold [1]. While this was little more than in inconvenience to the plantation owners in the state, the rural subsistence farmers were outraged.

Dissent spread through the lower farming class like a wildfire, and in July an armed uprising sprung arose near the western settlement of Hagerstown. Led by Revolutionary War leader Mordecai Gist, the force was mainly comprised of farmers and war veterans who planned to gather what meager supplies they could and march on Annapolis. Despite the force’s rather small size, both the state and federal government were shocked at such an event, and in their panic, asked General George Washington of nearby Mount Vernon to intercede on the force and ask them to stand down.

On July 20th, General Washington and his token force mainly consisting of Maryland and Virginia militiamen, met “Gist’s Rebellion” outside of the town of Rockville, Maryland. The specific details of what ensued are scarce, but it is known that one of the farmers from the rebel side grew increasingly nervous, and mistakenly his musket into the General’s troops. Chaos followed, as foot soldiers on either side found themselves thrown into a conflict they were not prepared for. In the storm of bullets, few found their targets. However, one would strike true, and pierce into the General's torso, lodging itself between his ribs. He was quickly taken home to Mount Vernon, though shortly after arrival there he died. It was July 23rd, 1783 [2].

After the Battle of Rockville, the rebels returned home, disheartened by the mess they had created. The rest of the nation felt similarly, shocked by the sudden and tragic loss of their most beloved figure. Through the mourning however, some in the government also saw this tragedy as an opportunity to change the already failing Articles of Confederation. Within a few months, a new and secretive Constitutional Convention was called in Philadelphia, with many of the same big names as before drawn in. It would be here that the United States Constitution [3] would be drafted, and later ratified by all of the states.

This new constitution called for wave of new things, but the most significant was a uniting figure to head the government; the President. And with the nation’s most beloved and unifying figure gone, the field of candidates was wide. Men like John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, and George Clinton all ran for the position, but in the end it would fall to a rather unsuspecting fellow; the recently returned Minister to France and revered statesman Benjamin Franklin of Pennsylvania. Thanks to spending much of the past six years in France, Franklin was above many of the conflicts and petty squabbles of the other men, and had had no time to tarnish his sterling reputation with the issues of the day.

Due to the fact that New York and North Carolina had not ratified the Constitution at the time of the election in 1784, and Rhode Island couldn’t agree on electors to represent them [4], none of those states got a say in the election, meaning that states that may have given Clinton or Jefferson more power were left from the vote. Per the Constitution, Ben Franklin was elected to be the first President of the United States, with the runner-up John Adams as his Vice President.

It wouldn’t be until March of 1785, nearly two years after the death of Washington, that Ben Franklin would be inaugurated as President. At the age of 79 years old, he remains the oldest President to date. With the first national election complete and the Constitution ratified in all of the states, the United States of America was finally ready to step away from the Articles of Confederation, and head into a new day.

----------

[1] This is an invented tax, as well as the POD. In practice, it is an earlier and southern version of the Massachusetts state tax that led to Shays’ Rebellion.
[2] While the tax was the divergence point, this is the big deal. With Washington dead in ‘83, the shape of the nation changes forever.
[3] This would be the same Constitution written in OTL, for simplicity’s sake.
[4] These are the states than in OTL didn’t vote in 1788. I didn’t include them here because I couldn’t find how many votes they would get, and didn’t want to use 1792 numbers for 1784.

----------

So this isn't very long, and as a whole I don't think the updates will be, just to keep it manageable for myself. This could very easily get out of hand with everything I've got going on.

Anyway, this is a TL I've been working on for a little while now, that essentially started with the concept of Ben Franklin becoming the President of the US. Originally, this was going to be the election game that I ran after the one I have going now over in Shared Worlds, but I decided I could have a better time with this idea if I let it be all me. But, it will be in that general style, with an update on the President's term followed by an election update followed by a term, etc. Its going to be fairly "normal" in how it goes, so no crazy dictatorships or anything. A changed, but recognizable, US.

The early chapters are going to be very textbook-y as I work to get into a flow of how I want to write this and so I can set everything up as best I can, but as we go one I plan to have things in different styles, hopefully to lighten up the reading a bit.

But yeah, I'm just gonna start this now with the hope I can update it semi-regularly. Of course, if there is anything that anyone feels the need to point out as wrong or incorrect or whatever, please do! I have a fair amount planned out, but everything is subject to change, if someone can convince me it should be!

(Oh also, if anyone can tell me how to put in those update markers, it would be greatly appreciated!)

This is interesting. Washington dies before the constitution is created. Quite frankly, there probably should be some changes to the constitution without him as a unifying figure presiding.

That aside, Benjamin Franklin would make an interesting president, even if he's quite likely to die in office, in which case you end up with an early Adams presidency. It might be interesting to see how the United States deals with the fallout from the French Revolution in this timeline.

Also, Threadmarks are added after the post has already been made, you'll see an option at the bottom of the each post in your own thread which will allow you to threadmark it.

This is interesting. Washington dies before the constitution is created. Quite frankly, there probably should be some changes to the constitution without him as a unifying figure presiding.

That aside, Benjamin Franklin would make an interesting president, even if he's quite likely to die in office, in which case you end up with an early Adams presidency. It might be interesting to see how the United States deals with the fallout from the French Revolution in this timeline.

Also, Threadmarks are added after the post has already been made, you'll see an option at the bottom of the each post in your own thread which will allow you to threadmark it.

Thanks! And yeah, I imagine that that Constitution wouldn't be exactly the same, but at the same time Washington wasn't much of a policy maker and had a more presidal roll at the convention. I was afraid that any big changes to the Constitution would get unwieldy, but at the same time all the minute differences would be so small they probably wouldn't change much.

And yeah, like I said before, this whole idea spawned from a want to make Franklin the President. As a warning, his term isn't the most exciting and is largely mainly convergent, though his differences will certainly leave their mark.

Thanks! And yeah, I imagine that that Constitution wouldn't be exactly the same, but at the same time Washington wasn't much of a policy maker and had a more presidal roll at the convention. I was afraid that any big changes to the Constitution would get unwieldy, but at the same time all the minute differences would be so small they probably wouldn't change much.

And yeah, like I said before, this whole idea spawned from a want to make Franklin the President. As a warning, his term isn't the most exciting and is largely mainly convergent, though his differences will certainly leave their mark.

Wasn't the office of President designed with Washington in mind? I thought they left Article II more vague than the other Articles with the idea that Washington was responsible enough to define the office. Without him, maybe the presidency becomes weaker or at least more limited. Very excited to see where this goes.

1: The Franklin Presidency
aa_franklinb_printer_1_e.jpg

President Benjamin Franklin

The Ben Franklin Administration (1785-1789)
Come March 20, 1785, the United States of America had its first President. While not a landslide, Ben Franklin had taken a comfortable victory in which only Massachusetts and South Carolina had not fallen his way, going to Adams and Jefferson respectively. And the President’s first job was a deceptively straightforward one: decide how to run the country. While the Constitution created the office of the Presidency, and certainly was more strict that the Articles before it had been, it left much up to interpretation. Franklin’s first goals were to make sure that government ran as smoothly as possible, and in his mind, that meant surrounding himself with the best and brightest minds available to delegate tasks to.

At nearly 80, Franklin was old and knew it, and despite all of the strength of his mind remaining, his body was beginning to fail him. So, as a safety net should he fail in his position, the President created a comprehensive set of secretaries, to aide in the administration of the nation. There were originally four such positions: National Secretary, Monetary Secretary, War Secretary, and Chief Assistant.

The National Secretary was created with the goal in mind of representing the nation, both at home and abroad. For this position, President Franklin chose experienced diplomat and revered political figure Thomas Jefferson, the Minister to France before himself as well as a competitor for the Presidency. Jefferson was primarily chosen due to his wide knowledge of all things political, as well as his skill in diplomacy.

The Monetary Secretary was created to manage the economy, and regulate banks. The clear choice was Alexander Hamilton, an economic mastermind, driving force behind the adoption of the Constitution, and the creator of much of the system in place already.

The War Secretary was a position created to advise the President on military matters, and was meant to be filled with a General so the army could have a worm in the President’s ear and vice versa. While President Franklin was of the mind of avoiding war at nearly all costs, he knew one day it would be inevitable and put Henry Lee III as the first War Secretary.

The final position was that of the Chief Assistant, and was filled by the President’s grandson, William Temple Franklin. Temple Franklin was only a young man at the time, and had become something of his grandfather’s protege. So, upon Franklin’s ascendance to the Presidency, there was never a question of if Temple would come along. The position was created to help the President carry out his every day duties, and as the years of administration bore on, President Franklin came to rely upon it more and more.

{REDACTED} of these original four secretaries would go on to later hold the office of President themselves.

The first real question the President faced was about where the nation’s capital should be, as it had been in several cities since the end of the war. President Franklin was reluctant to leave his home, so chose the city of Philadelphia to be the permanent capital, at least for the duration of his Presidency. This left many unpleased however, as some felt as if it gave Pennsylvania added power in government, and too much prestige over other states. Some in the south demanded that a more central capital be chosen, but the President was adamant and for the duration of his Presidency lived in his private residence in Philadelphia.

After setting the foundations of the administration, the President turned his attention to some of his other goals, namely government funded institutions. President Franklin, alongside National Secretary Jefferson, was an advocate of an accessible, public education, and believed it to be an integral aspect of the republican process. With the help of Secretary Jefferson and Congress, President Franklin was able to establish the University of the United States, transforming the preexisting Academy of Pennsylvania, which Franklin had helped establish some years prior, to a government funded university. While small to begin with, it now is one of the largest universities in the nation with branches across the states.

President Franklin would also go on to found the nation’s national post service, led by the Postmaster General. Using an organized system funded by the federal government, the United States Post was highly efficient for its time, and the position of Postmaster would find itself incorporated into the cabinet in the 1810s by President {REDACTED}.

By 1788, Franklin’s term as President was reaching a close, with the nation’s second election planned for November of that year. It would be here that Franklin would establish what may have been his greatest legacy, in stepping down from office. Citing his decreasing health and the fear that he would be unable to administrate for another four years, Franklin gracefully and peacefully declined to run again. In a speech written by President Franklin, but given by his grandson and Chief Assistant Temple Franklin, he declared that the United States should never become a nation of tyranny or injustice. He denounced the growing political parties and sectional thinking, and made the assertment: “For the nation to succeed we must all succeed. For us all to succeed, the nation must succeed.” This speech, which would come to be known as ‘Franklin’s Farewell,’ is remembered by many historians to be one of the greatest of the 18th century, and in all of American history. Franklin’s peaceful resignation from office sent a serious message to not just the American people, but the whole world, that the American system can and would work.

- Transcript from a lecture from Prof. Henry Ellenson of Taft University in Port Connecticut, Erie.
----------

The first, and only Ben Franklin Administration. I got this up quick to try and sorta "complete" the introduction, but the rest of the updates won't be this fast. Some will be longer than this, some shorter, some in wildly varying styles.

Also, I didn't point this out earlier but since I'm sorta running this as an Election Game without the elections, I will be using OTL people throughout the TL. History has enough interesting characters that I don't think I have to make them up. Yeah, that sorta murders thousands of butterflies, but honestly its a lot more interesting, I think.

EDIT: Also, if anyone can tell me how to get back to default type sizing from the one in the editor it would be greatly appreciated. Default is somewhere inbetween 3 and 4.

Last edited:
Small typo...

......otherwise, that is a brilliant and detailed biography..

Haha took me a second to get it, but I see it now. Will fix, thanks!

Anyway, I'm glad you like it. Its sort of going to show the tone, where the terms will be covered rather generally though I have full intention to go more detailed into some things. I also plan to cover certain cultural aspects as we get to them.

Haha took me a second to get it, but I see it now. Will fix, thanks!

Anyway, I'm glad you like it. Its sort of going to show the tone, where the terms will be covered rather generally though I have full intention to go more detailed into some things. I also plan to cover certain cultural aspects as we get to them.

No probs.

So is it like a Biographical list of Presidents TL or will it also include other different posts as well?

No probs.

So is it like a Biographical list of Presidents TL or will it also include other different posts as well?

A bit of both. The main focus will be on the terms and it will be in chunks of usually 4 years. But, I want to detail the new states, cities, various other cultural things, etc. Sports teams and buildings and the like.

Very similar to something I was working on myself. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to let you do all the heavy lifting, instead. ;)

Very similar to something I was working on myself. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to let you do all the heavy lifting, instead. ;)

Do share. I'd be happy if you wanted to PM and discuss stuff, I'll take any ideas/suggestions/help I can get!

The Election of 1788
The Election of 1788

The peaceful transition of power from President Franklin to his successor, President Jefferson, is a distinguishing mark in American and world history. The first such event since the days of Rome, one Philadelphia newspaper declared Franklin to be the “new Cincinnatus,” in reference to the ancient Roman leader who rose to power when his nation needed him most, only to retire when his job was done.

This train of thought would become popular among the people of the young country, who began to think of themselves as the new incarnation of Republican Rome. This would manifest in 1790, when the new capital city, {REDACTED}, would be named with this in mind.

In memoriam of the American Cincinnatus, President Jefferson and Vice President Adams would would break ground on this site in 1792 to declare the location of the Franklin Monument, which was completed in 1800. Sadly, that building would collapse in the Fire of ‘46, and the building currently standing would not be completed until 1860.

Today, this monument stands as a testimony to the power of the American system, and the success of the nation’s first full election.

- Engraving on a 1968 placard, located inside the Franklin Monument

l8a6nVZ.png

THE FRANKLIN MEMORIAL IN {REDACTED}, AS IT STOOD AT ITS UNVEILING IN 1860. THE ORIGINAL WAS SIMPLY THE OBELISK, AND LACKED THE ROMANESQUE BASE.

2: The Jefferson Presidency
e64d38f3e52a2c40bd8e12b30bda4339.jpg

President Thomas Jefferson

The Thomas Jefferson Administration (1789-1793)

Jefferson Cabinet:
President: Thomas Jefferson (R, VA)
Vice President: John Adams (H, MA)
National Secretary: Levi Lincoln Sr. (R, NY)
Monetary Secretary: John Beckley (R, VA)
War Secretary: Horatio Gates (I, NY)
Chief Assistant: James Madison (R, VA)

The start of the modern party system, as we know it today, has a distinct point where we can look back and say “this is where it began.” While there had always been divisions among the founding fathers, on matters from the nature of the Constitution to the workings of the economy, it would be with the election of Thomas Jefferson over his main competitor John Adams that the first true parties in American history would take shape.

Jefferson was a firm believer in following the Constitution word for word, delegating more power to the individual states, and having the federal government be as nonintrusive as possible. Alongside the likes of George Clinton, James Madison, and James Monroe, Jefferson founded the Republican Party. With strong pro-French and anti-British leanings, the Republicans were to be the party for the yeoman farmer, and found most of their support in the south and Clinton’s home state of New York.

The new President’s primary ideological adversary would be the former Monetary Secretary Alexander Hamilton, who alongside John Jay, Charles Pinckney, and John Adams founded the Federalization Party, most simply known as the Hamiltonians, for his domineering control of all the party’s workings. The Hamiltonians held beliefs exactly opposite their Republican counterparts, with a centralized government, loose interpretation of the Constitution, and strong British ties.

During the Franklin years, both sides had gotten decent representation in the Administration, with Franklin taking a rather conciliatory stance and taking advice from both Jefferson and Hamilton. However, with Jefferson defeating John Adams in the election, the Republicans took a leading role in governance, with the only vestige left being Adams as the Vice President, thanks to his winning second place in the vote. The rest of the Hamiltonians would be swept from the cabinet, with Jefferson’s allies and ideological brethren taking their places.

However, the Hamiltonians wouldn’t find themselves without any influence. In one of the earliest acts of bipartisan deal making, President Jefferson struck a deal with Former Secretary Hamilton and the prominent Senator Aaron Burr to discuss relocating the capital out of Philadelphia in exchange for the federal government absorbing the debt of the states. After much negotiation a deal was reached, with the capital being moved just outside of Philadelphia, to a newly created “Federal District,” taken from parts of New Jersey and Delaware, at the location of Wilmington. Built just across the Delaware River from Wilmington, the capital would be placed in the newly founded city of Cincinnati, named after the legend Cincinnatus. This relocation took away much of the “undeserved” prestige from Philadelphia and Pennsylvania, and its placement in a neutral, non-state location eased many fears that one state could seize control of the whole government.

Ground would be broken on the new site in 1790, with several major sites started at once. These would include the Capitol Building, the Presidential Palace, and the the Justice Building. The groundbreaking of the Franklin Memorial would follow just under two years later in 1792, in memory of the former-President following his death in the April of 1790.

In exchange for the capital being moved out of Philadelphia, Jefferson allowed for Hamilton’s plan of absorbing the individual state debt go through, with the government taking the burden on itself. While the two had greatly different opinions on how to run a budget, with the President believing in a balanced budget while Hamilton believed in running a deficit with good credit, both could see that the federal government was more equipped to handle the debt, especially following the fiasco with Gist and the Maryland Specie Tax.

However, neither man got exactly what they wanted out of the new capital. President Jefferson had originally insisted on placing it further south, to appease those regions and so he would be closer to home. One of his options was the city of Charlottesville in his homestate of Virginia. Virginia, he argued, was in the middle of the country, and being inland, Charlottesville would not have to fear attacks from the sea, Britain’s domain. It helped that Jefferson’s home of Monticello laid just miles from the city.

Hamilton, on the other hand, pushed for a more northern city, preferring the likes of New York. It was his home, and coastal, allowing for easy access for trade. However, New York suffered all of the same problems as Philadelphia, and would be dismissed alongside Charlottesville. In the end, the two would agree to move the capital just outside of its present location in Philadelphia, to avoid the hassle of too much relocation. The creation of the Federal District was to ensure that no northern state had total control of the government, and was the only concession the South would get.

Whatever sort of alliance or goodwill was created between Jefferson and Hamilton in the dealings over the capital would not last long, as the country, and the world would be shaken to the core. 1789, Jefferson’s first year as President, would also be the first year of the French Revolution, the widescale and often violent overthrow of the Ancien Regime of France in favor of a modern, American-esque, democratic government. From the very beginning, the President was a vocal and ardent supporter of the movement, proclaiming it to be “victory for liberty.” Using his powers as President and Commander-in-Chief, Jefferson would do all in his power to aide the young republic, going as far as permitting and encouraging American men to go “aide the Revolution, as the French did for us.”

And while his support certainly earned good will with France, the British viewed things quite differently. To them, the French Revolution was dangerous, and set and even worse precedent than the American Revolution had. President Jefferson’s open and vocal support for the French put a bad taste in the mouth of many in Britain, and, combined with tensions along the American-Canadian border in northern Maine and the western territories, some within the British hierarchy called for a war with America.

However, President Jefferson’s first term in office would come to an end before any action was taken and, following the example of President Franklin, Jefferson would refuse to seek another term in office. Instead, he advocated for his political ally of George Clinton to be his successor, though in the end the pendulum would swing away from the Republicans and Jefferson’s ideas, and the Hamiltonians would get their chance to leave a mark on the nation.

- Summary of the Jefferson Administration by an AP US History student at Hancock High School in Dallas.​