OTL Election maps resources thread

There are 4 maps at all. I first put a wrong URL and no map were showing, but somehow, now it's showing a cross and I can't remove it ! haha

For the keys, I wanted to show for each candidate where they were having their bigger and lesser successes, so I decided the following :
Frame the average score (like a 10-12% category for an average score of 11%), categorize around with 2 points categories until I corner up the extreme values.

Thande

Donor
I have now completed US general maps for 2009 and 2008. I have also updated the existing ones with some corrections, including switching to what I think is a better turnout calculation (and also one for which I can get estimated calculated values for every US election going back to 1789...)

You know things have changed a bit in US politics when you find yourself thinking 'oh I don't need to double check the blue shades of 50%/60% majority margin in these states, because obviously there aren't any' and then realise 'oh wait yes I do need to do that because this is pre 2010'.

You know things have changed a bit in US politics when you find yourself thinking 'oh I don't need to double check the blue shades of 50%/60% majority margin in these states, because obviously there aren't any' and then realise 'oh wait yes I do need to do that because this is pre 2010'.

Because the Democrats love them their supersized, super-concentrated majorities. ;)

Thande

Donor
Vote @Thande for political map-based awesomeness. :cool:
On another forum there was a joke attempt to set up a party called "Psephologists First" once which, if elected, would campaign to have all voting data as granular as possible released to mapmakers via a user-friendly website. (You can tell this is by people who make UK council election maps, can't you...)

On another forum there was a joke attempt to set up a party called "Psephologists First" once which, if elected, would campaign to have all voting data as granular as possible released to mapmakers via a user-friendly website. (You can tell this is by people who make UK council election maps, can't you...)

I mean, for UK mapping it's surely GE results that are in desperate need of being more granular.

Thande

Donor
I mean, for UK mapping it's surely GE results that are in desperate need of being more granular.
I was referring to the 'user-friendly website' part.

I saw one horror story from a bloke who said the council temp had scanned the paper returning officer's sheets and then uploaded them as BMPs. The resulting download was close to a gigabyte.

I suppose this is a "resource" more so then a map, but:
image.png

Added relevant congressional districts to the summary chart.

*drools uncontrollably*

Another one of my patented quickies - the Tokyo Metropolitan Assembly election of last May.

This is a 127-member body that serves as the regional government for Tokyo as a whole, alongside the directly-elected Governor - the special wards have quite a lot of power, but the Metropolitan Assembly exists as an oversight and planning body above them, sort of like the GLC. Similarly to the GLC in its early phase, it's elected in constituencies that are the exact same as the special wards, and the exact same as municipalities or combinations of municipalities in western Tokyo. The voting system, as with most Japanese local elections, is SNTV.

This was the worst result for the LDP since the creation of the party, and at 23 seats they were on equal footing with the Komeito. This was largely because of Yuriko Koike's new Tomin First no Kai ("Tokyo Residents First") party - and yes, that is the English word "first" in the name, it's as though Koike actually reads this thread and decided to copy the memes - which was able to challenge the LDP for its core voters instead of coming at them from the left as even the DPJ had had to do. Koike was, of course, an LDP member until the foundation of Tomin First, and the party is pretty much indistinguishable from them in actual policy (if only because the LDP is itself notoriously vague other than definitely being on the right economically and definitely being anti-communist).

The DP, meanwhile, also had its worst result ever - at five seats it was basically reduced to irrelevance - and the result directly caused the resignation of controversial party leader Renho Murata.

val-jp-tokyo-2017.png

Last edited:

Thande

Donor
Another one of my patented quickies - the Tokyo Metropolitan Assembly election of last May.

This is a 127-member body that serves as the regional government for Tokyo as a whole, alongside the directly-elected Governor - the special wards have quite a lot of power, but the Metropolitan Assembly exists as an oversight and planning body above them, sort of like the GLC. Similarly to the GLC in its early phase, it's elected in constituencies that are the exact same as the special wards, and the exact same as municipalities or combinations of municipalities in western Tokyo. The voting system, as with most Japanese local elections, is SNTV.

This was the worst result for the LDP since the creation of the party, and at 23 seats they were on equal footing with the Komeito. This was largely because of Yuriko Koike's new Tomin First no Kai ("Tokyo Residents First") party - and yes, that is the English word "first" in the name, it's as though Koike actually reads this thread and decided to copy the memes - which was able to challenge the LDP for its core voters instead of coming at them from the left as even the DPJ had had to do. Koike was, of course, an LDP member until the foundation of Tomin First, and the party is pretty much indistinguishable from them in actual policy (if only because the LDP is itself notoriously vague other than definitely being on the right economically and definitely being anti-communist).

The DP, meanwhile, also had its worst result ever - at five seats it was basically reduced to irrelevance - and the result directly caused the resignation of controversial party leader Renho Murata.

View attachment 351840
That sort of thing might work well as a set of eight small maps with simply shading for 'number/% of MPs of this party per district'.

I plan on making maps of New York's local elections and the constitutional convention vote next week. To start off, here are the towns and cities having elections for supervisor or mayor in 2017.

hLsyHm6.png

I'm not sure what color scheme I should use when I make a map of the results, since there will be many unopposed elections, candidates endorsed by both the Democrats and Republicans, and local third parties.

Since New York allows ballot fusion, it might be interesting to ignore the candidates and show the election results by each party's vote share.

I'm not sure what color scheme I should use when I make a map of the results, since there will be many unopposed elections, candidates endorsed by both the Democrats and Republicans, and local third parties.
I'd suggest purple for those endorsed by both parties, and perhaps green (or a range of colours) for local parties.