Other terms for "Republic"

Hmm...how about Old English "Folcrice" (which in modern English would be something like Folkrick for folk-realm), equivalent to German Volksreich?
Sounds like Swedish "folkrike", but that's not really a real word. Although it wound kind of mean a realm ruled by the people.

The early medieval Norse referred to their popular governing assemblies as "Things" (same meaning as in modern English), and the traditional meeting places as "Thingsteads". I could see "Thingstead" coming to refer to states governed by Things. Or perhaps "Thingdom" or "Thingate" or "Thingric" (by analogy with "Bishopric").

Veche for Slavic countries. The word is inherited from Proto-Slavic větje, meaning 'council' or 'talk' (which is also represented in the word "soviet", both ultimately deriving from Proto-Slavic verbal stem of větiti 'to talk, speak'), which means that in ATL where the Poles or other slavic peoples give birth to the modern republic it might be known as a 'Soviet' ;)

demokratia.

The Greek word was demokratia, the origin of the English word democracy.

It's a combo of demos - people - and kratia - kind of rule.

Yay, classical TLs - normally I'm pretty clueless about language. The only bit I ever got out of my Latin class was pronunciation.

Veche for Slavic countries. The word is inherited from Proto-Slavic větje, meaning 'council' or 'talk' (which is also represented in the word "soviet", both ultimately deriving from Proto-Slavic verbal stem of větiti 'to talk, speak'), which means that in ATL where the Poles or other slavic peoples give birth to the modern republic it might be known as a 'Soviet' ;)

That's a good one.
And reminds me of the greek word that may have influenced its formation: synodos meaning council, assembly.

Hmmm syncracy?

I'm going to go with something here;

"Popular" and "Leadership"

not a "republic" but a "Popleaship".

That's a good one.
And reminds me of the greek word that may have influenced its formation: synodos meaning council, assembly.

Hmmm syncracy?

I think it would likely evolve as OTL with Synod. It's sounds better anyway.

Interestingly, i would think of a very alternate meaning of Autocracy, as "auto-governance" of a people.

"Polarchy", the govern of the city, as a state, could work too.

I think it would likely evolve as OTL with Synod. It's sounds better anyway.

Interestingly, i would think of a very alternate meaning of Autocracy, as "auto-governance" of a people.

"Polarchy", the govern of the city, as a state, could work too.

"Poliarchy" actually exists in English as a technical term in political science, meaning that power is shared among several groups if I understand it correctly.

Pragmanthropon?
(Same as Latin, but in Greek)
Similarly, you could have donemunicipy for democracy.

Wolfpaw

Banned
How about just Nation? Its not brashly anti-monarchist, has connatations of a unity of purpose, and could fit most any kind of government. Plus, it has historical usuage to mean both people and state: the Nation of Israel.
This runs into trouble in countries that are not nation-states.

Folkthingi for Iceland, maybe.

But just to explore any actual historical examples:

There are concepts for a popular governing assembly in Slavic too, medieval Veche and cossack Krug, but they aren't commonly used as government forms.

Of the definite medieval republics of Russia, Novgorod and Pskov both called their states after their cities with no further qualifiers (Sovreign Great Novgorod, and Great Pskov). The Hlynov settlers called their arrangement a "volnytsa", "free association", something commonly used by freebooters of all sorts.

Cossacks of course had their "voiska" (Hosts) and the Hetmanate.