On the shoulders of Apollo

Archibald

Banned
This TL has been on hiatus for 18 months now and I have lost will to continue it.
Here's the complete list of missions for that TL. I can provide details to anybody interested.

Untitled_zps8qiflfmq.png

This TL has been on hiatus for 18 months now and I have lost will to continue it.
Here's the complete list of missions for that TL. I can provide details to anybody interested.

Untitled_zps8qiflfmq.png

Why don't you continue your observations? You show a ten years realisations program by fuel consomption. Are you aware of alternative research projects
by other means of energy propulsion ?
You should continue that project yourself, it's very promissing and right on the target.

Archibald

Banned
As mentioned in this TL first post, this was an atempt at a coherent flight program based on various technical documents - and planetary windows.

The L-class Apollo are orbital mapping missions carrying a KH-7 spy satellite from the NRO.

The low Earth orbit program is drawn from various proposals for Skylab and joint flights with the Soviets.

There are a Venus flyby, a landing on Eros using a Lunar Module, and a triple planetary flyby (Earth > Mars > Venus > Earth) in 1977-78.

In 1969 Von Braun planned a Mars trip with an Earth departure on November 12, 1981; landing on August 9, 1982; Venus flyby on February 14, 1983; and Earth return on August 14, 1983.
I used these dates for a landing on Phobos, not Mars. Interestingly, Eros and Phobos have a very similar mass (6.69×10-15 kg and 1.0659×10-16 kg respectively) and gravity field, so the 1975 trip to the asteroid can be considered a dress rehearsal for Phobos.

After 1980 focus shift to a Mars landing, with flight test program of the MEM spanning from 1981 to 1985. This part is largely inspired by Stephen Baxter Voyage novel. There's a also a Rockwell document from 1968 describing the flight test program of the Mars Excursion Module.

Last edited: