Of lost monkeys and broken vehicles

Interesting to note, the "West Germany" and "East Germany" labels, especially as part of the "East Germany" was about Upper Silesia, which Im pretty sure becomes part of Poland in OTL. . .

Quick Question: the city that was linked up too on the MAR 7th, was that Mostar or somewhere else?

Interesting to note, the "West Germany" and "East Germany" labels, especially as part of the "East Germany" was about Upper Silesia, which Im pretty sure becomes part of Poland in OTL. . .

Quick Question: the city that was linked up too on the MAR 7th, was that Mostar or somewhere else?
I think you might be reading too much into that, war has not ended so it's still Eastern part of Germany.

Now that we're nearing the end of the war in Europe I can only imagine the arguing that's going to ensue at the peace conference...
In Paris or here? :angel:
Could Tehran spare a few troops to the Burma frontline?
Oh they certainly have the troops available. But what Teymurtash gains from sending Iranian boys to die off in the jungles of Burma? Particularly since he has reasons to worry about the post war future. The British have fostered both a Hashemite kingdom of Arabia and Kurdistan. Out of necessity true but both British clients are a potential danger. And if this isn't bad enough the Soviets remain an existential threat up north.
Also, with the now expanding kamikaze threats to their navies, could the US press into service sooner the Bearcat, Tigercat and Fireball? And the FAA could take some to supplement their possible introduction of Seafang?
Aside from Seafang the other three aircraft are following the OTL timetables, no discernible reason their development would had accelerated. The changes in Allied aircraft development compared to OTL all had some specific reason behind them.
The bridgehead in Cologne seems to be a major butterfly. I wonder whether the WAllied advance will be more rapid than in OTL.
Not really certain if it is better or worse for the western allies. Remagen is close by geographically but is not in a built up city...
So the Germans hit Hohenzollern bridge with everything...including jet bombers. Either I'm missing something, or Germany has managed to start serial production of Jet powered bombers. Its not gonna matter , Germany has barely a month left at this rate. But still, interesting...
Arado Ar 234B counts as one...
If it's that militarily important to them they might press prototypes into active service. I think that this was done at one stage with a photo reconnaissance version of the Spitfire OTL.
III/KG 76 with Ar 234 was used against the Remagen bridge OTL so no real difference here.
The jet bomber was an actual plane which saw combat IOTL:

And TTL thanks to Wever the Luftwaffe is somewhat better off... though that is more than counterbalanced by that 10% increase in Atlantic convoys capacity between the larger Greek merchant marine, the early Free French control of Dakar and the Irish participation in the war...
Either that or Lascaris is referring to the ME 262 which thanks to Hitler constantly changing his mind on what he wanted the plane to function as, could be counted as a bomber
Not certain how much earlier Me 262 could had actually entered service. As it was it took 23 months from first flight to entering service which is not that extreme a period. Bell P-59 took just as long. Meteor 16 months. Vampire 30.
If the Wallies don’t pick up the pace in Italy they’re gonna end the war on the wrong side of the Alps, at least if they have any hope of having a western Allied Austria and maybe participating in the liberation of Prague.
That is certainly a risk. Although one should note that TTL they are advancing from the south as well...
It’s nice to see the Allies avoid one of the bigger embarrassments in Switzerland though. I’m not sure it changes much but it’s nice all the same.

The big change though is definitely the Wallied breakthrough in cologne. That’s definitely gonna create butterflies. I wouldn’t be surprised if V-E day was less than a month away ITTL. Which should help save some more Jews. Honestly I’d love an index when the war is over that shows the OTL numbers compared to TTL number of victims by country if you’re up to it @Lascaris .
By the OTL timetable you are about 6 weeks from the end anyway. Now getting that bridge in Cologne is only better if you don't have some SS divisions dug in in Deutz willing to fight to the last. Not that they won't get crushed but it would get a bit of time.

Yup. At some point should learn not to write at 4 in the morning. But noo.
I think you might be reading too much into that, war has not ended so it's still Eastern part of Germany.
Well it is at the moment is it not? :angel:

Welp it's more about the mad dash into Germany rn anyways, so I think things would be more about where the Americans get to and how much the Soviets could conquer/liberate before the end.

And TTL thanks to Wever the Luftwaffe is somewhat better off... though that is more than counterbalanced by that 10% increase in Atlantic convoys capacity between the larger Greek merchant marine, the early Free French control of Dakar and the Irish participation in the war..
Speaking of which, Wever IMO is getting life imprisonment or the rope due to how one could argue that his command of the Luftwaffe and culpability in war crimes in the major theatres of the war through bombing civilians means that the Soviet judges will be pushing for his head at Nuremburg (especially as he is standing in for Goering due to his death and Raeder got life while Keitel and Jodl ended up hanged). It also doesn't help that the Luftwaffe was the most Nazified of the three branches of the Wehrmacht as well due to Goering's role in setting it up.

And TTL thanks to Wever the Luftwaffe is somewhat better off... though that is more than counterbalanced by that 10% increase in Atlantic convoys capacity between the larger Greek merchant marine, the early Free French control of Dakar and the Irish participation in the war...
Oh, I like to see Irish fighters over Western Europe - either Mustangs or Thunderbolts :D

Part 166
Slovakia, March 25th, 1945

The Soviet 2nd Ukrainian Front and the Romanian 1st and 4th Armies launched a new offensive to liberate Brno and Bratislava.

Iwo Jima, March 26th, 1945

After five weeks of fighting the island was finally cleared of Japanese defenders. A handful of Japanese holdouts would still fight on the last not surrendering till 1949.

Yugoslavia, March 26th, 1945

Sarajevo was liberated by the Yugoslav 3rd Cavalry division and local NOVJ forces. The defending German and Croatian forces had not quite collapsed completely, just yet and were even inflicted noticeable casualties on the attacking troops. But they had lost already nearly 30,000 men in three days of fighting with entire units disintegrating under the massive Allied assault.

Buenos Aires, March 27th, 1945

Argentina finally declared war against Germany. The event would be barely noticed...

East Prussia, March 28th, 1945

The Soviet 3rd Belorussian Front completed the destruction of the German 4th Army. The same day with further bad news from all fronts and US forces capturing Wiesbaden in the west Hitler would sack Heinz Guderian from command of the OKH. The sacking would not change the bleak German prospects, with the Soviets capturing Danzig on March 30th.

Okinawa, April 1st, 1945

The US III Amphibius Corps and XXIV Corps begun landing on the island under the cover of a massive naval force that included 44 aircraft carriers, 5 of them British and 20 battleships, 4 of them British.

Austria, April 2nd, 1945

The Soviet forces of the 2nd and 3rd Ukrainian fronts were by now directly threatening Vienna. On April 4th the Soviets would liberate Bratislava in Slovakia. By April 7th they were engaged in heavy Urban fighting against the II SS Panzer Corps defending the Austrian capital.

Italy, April 3rd, 1945

The night sky was lit up by the fire of thousands of guns as the three Allied armies in Italy launched their long anticipated spring offensive, pushing towards Gorizia, Trieste and the Brenner pass. The German forces and a handful of Italian collaborators, Roberto Farinacci's "Italian Social Republic" was little more than a shadow with nearly all of Italy liberated and the Italian provisional government fielding over 123,000 front-line troops in addition to air and naval forces and about 200,000 troops in rear area duties on the Allied side, fought back hard but given the disparity of forces the outcome shouldn't be much in doubt. The Allied 15th Army Group had over 1,187,000 million men, Americans, British, French, Italian, Greek, Irish and Brazilians available facing a little over 532,000 Germans.

Norway, April 3rd, 1945

Not much heavy fighting had taken place since the Swedish army had made its way on the Atlantic cutting Norway and the German forces in half. Both the Swedish and the Germans knew it was just a matter of time for German supplies to run out. It had taken more than many had hoped much to the discomfort of Norwegian civilians in the north of Norway, the tens of thousands of German soldiers there had had little qualms to let Norwegians starve if it would keep them fed but this had only prolonged things. German forces in Norway surrendered.

Istria, April 3rd, 1945

The Greek 13th Marine Infantry Regiment hit the beaches. As soon as the marines had secured the beachhead the II Infantry Division would follow them. Nearly the entire Allied amphibious lift capacity had been removed from the Mediterranean to support operations against Japan. But between landing ships of the Hellenic Navy and what few British ships Churchill had managed to keep in the Mediterranean there was just about enough for a divisional seized landing in support of the main offensive. After all if the Allies were short of landing ships, they were not short of naval firepower. The battleships Lorraine, Roma, Italia and Salamis along several cruisers were available to deal with German coastal artillery and strongpoints...

Moscow, April 5th, 1945

The Soviets renounced the 1941 neutrality pact with Japan. With the war in Europe still underway the the Soviets forced in 1942 and 1943 to reduce their forces in the Far East even more than what they had done in 1941 to cover the needs of the Anatolian front, this mattered little at the moment. But the war in Europe by now would be ending sooner rather than later.

Italy, April 6th, 1945

Trieste was liberated by the 1st South African Armoured Division. The Germans were still offering strong resistance but by now had to consider the possibility of the Allied offensives in Italy and Yugoslavia converging on them...

Off Okinawa, April 7th, 1945

HMS Lion and HMS Anson had turned to intercept Yamato on news that the gigantic Japanese battleship had sortied and the head of a Japanese squadron to attack the Allied landings. But the hopes of the British captains they would get to engage would be dashed as Yamato would come under attack by the aircraft of fifteen aircraft carriers and get sunk by them.

Yugoslavia, April 10th, 1945

The previous day advancing Allied forces had linked up with the Yugoslav Partizan forces in Split. Now it was the turn of Zagreb to be liberated, or captured depending on whom you asked. The next day Allied forces would reach Sibenic, on the 12th liberate Bihac and on the 14th Zara, promptly proclaimed to be Zadar by the Yugoslavs.

Warm Springs, April 13th, 1945

President Roosevelt died at age 63. Vice President Harry Truman would be inaugurated president in Washington the same day.

Germany, April 15th, 1945

The British 21st Army group had stopped its advance eastwards 200km from Berlin under orders from general Eisenhower turning instead northwards to secure Bremen and Hamburg. At the same time twin Soviet offensives under marshals Zhukov and Koniev respectively were developing against Berlin from the East. That the two marshals worried more about who would reach Berlin first than the Germans said enough of the German situation.

Austria, April 16th, 1945

Moroccan and Greek troops of the French 2nd Army secured the Brenner pass from the Germans. Three days later Allied forces would secure Innsbruck and continue their advance north towards Munich.

Yugoslavia, April 18th, 1945

Allied forces advancing from Italy linked with forces advancing north through Yugoslavia at Ljubljana. The previous day the British 8th Army had secured Fiume, Yugoslav and Greek forces of general Katsimitros Adriatic Army Detachment would reach it on the 19th, the same day that the Greek II Infantry Division would clear the last German defenders from Pola. The divisions of Slim's 10th Army and the Greek 1st Army were already racing northwards into Austria, Graz would fall to the Polish 2 Dywizja Strzelców Pieszych on April 20th, as the Yugoslavs royal army and NOVJ alike were clearing the remaining Croatian army forces that had been cut off by the Allied advance. Not everything was well for the Allies though as tensions had arisen between the Yugoslavs and the Italians over the control of just liberated Istria...

Germany, April 20th, 1945

Berlin came under Soviet artillery fire. It would take four more days for the Soviets to completely encircle Berlin.

Feels like Yugoslavia in her entirety will end up in the Western camp post war, previous agreements be dammed.

I wonder if this Italy will keep more of her navy and will have a stronger military presence in whatever post war western alliance based on her performance post armistice.

Trieste was liberated by the 1st South African Armoured Division.
The previous day the British 8th Army had secured Fiume, Yugoslav and Greek forces of general Katsimitros Adriatic Army Detachment would reach it on the 19th, the same day that the Greek II Infantry Division would clear the last German defenders from Pola.
Not everything was well for the Allies though as tensions had arisen between the Yugoslavs and the Italians over the control of just liberated Istria...
I'd suppose that given that British/Commonwealth forces were the ones that liberated it (along with the Greeks ones) that they would prove to be key for that whoever that Churchill 'd decide to support on any post war deals/negotiations over the future of Istria...

I'd suppose that given that British/Commonwealth forces were the ones that liberated it (along with the Greeks ones) that they would prove to be key for that whoever that Churchill 'd decide to support on any post war deals/negotiations over the future of Istria...
Personally I feel like Zara/Zadar and the Dalmatian islands are going to be the reward of Yugoslavia while the majority of the mainland Julian March will stay Italian. I imagine the Italians with try to trade the some of the rural/border areas in the Julian March that were more Yugoslavian ethnically to keep the city of Zara/Zadar which was more Italian ethnically. I don’t know if the Yugoslavians would take that deal though.

Moroccan and Greek troops of the French 2nd Army secured the Brenner pass from the Germans. Three days later Allied forces would secure Innsbruck and continue their advance north towards Munich.
If the Italian Front forces are racing towards Munich, then the NWE forces that originally were tasked for Lower Bavaria, can advance through Franconia towards Bohemia earlier on.

What is the status of the soviet advance in Austria ?

If the Italian Front forces are racing towards Munich, then the NWE forces that originally were tasked for Lower Bavaria, can advance through Franconia towards Bohemia earlier on.

Austria, April 2nd, 1945

The Soviet forces of the 2nd and 3rd Ukrainian fronts were by now directly threatening Vienna. On April 4th the Soviets would liberate Bratislava in Slovakia. By April 7th they were engaged in heavy Urban fighting against the II SS Panzer Corps defending the Austrian capital.

Currently fighting for Vienna, which I assume will take a while to clear.

1st - Will the Sweden also invade Denmark, as OTL planned? (https://codenames.info/operation/radda-danmark/)
2nd - Did the US made the 101st Infantry Battalion (Separate), made up to Austro-American? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/101st_Infantry_Battalion)
No reason they don't...
Feels like Yugoslavia in her entirety will end up in the Western camp post war, previous agreements be dammed.

I wonder if this Italy will keep more of her navy and will have a stronger military presence in whatever post war western alliance based on her performance post armistice.
Yugoslavia has also a massive, well armed communist army in contact with Soviet controlled territory. Italy has certainly had a more credible military performance...
Good progress. Looking forward to the end of this war!
Me too!
That is going to be... how to put it politely? Interesting to behold.
Personally I feel like Zara/Zadar and the Dalmatian islands are going to be the reward of Yugoslavia while the majority of the mainland Julian March will stay Italian. I imagine the Italians with try to trade the some of the rural/border areas in the Julian March that were more Yugoslavian ethnically to keep the city of Zara/Zadar which was more Italian ethnically. I don’t know if the Yugoslavians would take that deal though.
The Yugoslavs, of united can likely win a war with Italy at the moment. Of course none of the great powers would want it to reach that stage and it cannot be taken for granted they will be united.

I pretty much doubt that. First there are political considerations to take into account. Then there is the fear just like OTL the Germans would try to establish an Alps redoubt.

Part 167 Finis Germaniae
Germany, April 20th, 1945

Nuremberg was captured by the US 7th Army, which then turned its advance southwards towards Munich. The next date the German forces encircled in Ruhr would surrender to the Anglo-Americans with 317,000 Germans going into captivity. On the 22nd the 7th Army would cross the Danube.

Austria, April 20th, 1945

Graz, was liberated by the 1st Polish Corps. By now the roads getting clogged by the Allied divisions racing north and the thousands of German soldiers surrendering was more of a problem than the continuing German resistance.

Burma, April 22nd, 1945

The towns of Taungoo and Oktwin were taken by the British 14th Army. The British advance continued.

Croatia, April 22nd, 1945

Over a hundred thousand men of the army of the collaborationist Independent State of Croatia had been cut off by the Allied advance the previous week. As the Greeks and British had continued to advance northwards the Yugoslav armies, communist and royalist alike had turned on the collaborationist forces. Now the last remnants of the NDH forces had been forced to surrender. Individual Croatian conscripts who had defected or thrown down their arms and deserted could hope to escape without very many questions asked. More hardcore or unlucky ones...

Berlin, April 24th, 1945

The German capital was by now completely surrounded by Soviet forces.

Bavaria, April 25th, 1945

The French 3e Division Blindee entered Munich with the Greek VII Infantry Division following closely behind. The next day French and Greek troops would liberate the Dachau concentration camp.

Austria, April 26th, 1945

Advance elements of the British 10th Army reached Vienna, already cleared of German troops by the Soviets. Not unsurprisingly general Slim had already made certain to switch the advance of his two Polish Corps further west with the New Zealand Corps being the one to link up with the Soviets. After all the Kiwis were less likely to spring world war 3 before world war 2 was over...

French-Swiss border, April 26th, 1945

The French border guards looked in some suprize at the old man coming over the border. Few of course could fail to recognize him. Philippe Petain, former head of Vichy France would be immediately arrested.

Austria, April 28th, 1945

The German Army Groups C and E or their remains anyway surrendered unconditionally to the Allies. The final offensives in Italy and Yugoslavia had cost the Allies nearly 42,000 men. They had been far costlier for the Germans and their collaborators. Back in late March when the Allied offensives in Italy and Yugoslavia had begun the two German army groups had about 885,000 soldiers in Wehrmacht formations between them. Fewer than 570,000 were still on the rolls five weeks later.

Berlin, May 2nd, 1945

Polish soldiers, raised the Polish flag, over the Berlin Victory column. Resistance in Berlin was over, crushed by Soviet and Polish troops. Hitler had committed suicide two days earlier follower by Goebbels a day later after the Soviets had refused his attempt to negotiate. Over two thousand Germans and 81,000 German soldiers had died in the battle for Berlin. By now the territory under German control was limited to Denmark, Czechia, a tiny sliver of Austria to the north of the Danube and a rapidly dwindling strip of Germany between the Elbe in the west and the line of Soviet advance in the east, plus a few isolated pockets of resistance across Europe...

1713560279600.jpeg

Polish flag raised over Victory Column, courtesy Wikipedia

Burma, May 3rd, 1945

Montgomery's troops took Rangoon.

Reims, May 4th, 1945

General Eisenhower after the surrender of army Groups C and E and the surrender of German forces in Norway had ordered that no more partial surrenders of German forces should be accepted fearing it could affect relations with the Soviets. Thus the Germans, now under Donitz following Hutler's death had been forced to negotiate a general surrender, with German representatives signing the unconditional surrender of Germany.

Athens, May 6th, 1945

Athenians, were awoken at dawn by bells ringing all over the city. It was Easter day. But unlike a few hours earlier, when the bells had rung to celebrate the resurrection, now they were not ringing to celebrate the Greek Orthodox Easter but the new of the end of the war. The Germans had signed their instrument of surrender overnight. The war was over. In Europe at least...

Thessaloniki, May 13th, 1945

The IX Infantry division and its soldiers Christian and Jewish alike had reached Linz in Austria by the time of the German surrender. Now it was back in Thessaloniki and after parading through the city was releasing thousands of its reservists back to their homes. The Greek army had peaked at about 625,000 men by V-E day. Now it was time for its soldiers to get back to their homes. It was about time after five years of war...

Damascus, May 16th, 1945

Syrians were not happy. They had good reasons not to be happy. The mandate of Syria and Lebanon had been quick to proclaim for Fighting France back in 1940. But that had been a French affair. What mattered to Syrian nationalists was that their country was a French colony in all but name and the French had gone out of their way to mutilate their country with their support of Lebanon, an Alewi state and the Kurds. Tensions had been kept under a lid during the war. But now with fighting in Europe over and the French army having about 22,000 men spread all over the mandates, Constantinople and Annatolia the lead had blown open. Literally as violent demonstrations begun in Damascus and French troops opened fire on the demonstrators. The next day the violence would expand to Aleppo...