Of Koopa's and Kremlings Redux

I know you haven't been focusing on the political background of this TL, but there's been no mention of the 9/11 attacks that I've noticed, so presumably a Perot presidency has butterflied those.
It's been retconned. Gotta keep up to date with these things.

Nuts & Bolts is averted, hurrah hurrah. :D It seems like Nintendo is set to be a true goliath ITTL with its Pixar acquisition and given the fact that the creative energy behind the iPod and other successful latter-day Apple products is on its side.

It could be that I'm thick and have missed something, but it sounds like the PlayStation never took off ITTL. What ever happened with that? (All this sadly means that Spyro, one of my favorite series of all time, never comes to be. :( I'm at least mollified by the fact that Crash has seen a later, but still successful launch.)

I know you haven't been focusing on the political background of this TL, but there's been no mention of the 9/11 attacks that I've noticed, so presumably a Perot presidency has butterflied those. Do you suppose that this will mean the Call of Duty franchise (if it even exists; and if not, similar mass-produced FPS games) will either remain focused on the World War Two era or end up being less massively successful (or both)? The recent COD games which have seen such massive success with the late-childhood and early-teen demographics seem mostly to have found their roots in recent Middle Eastern conflicts, so presumably a TL where those didn't happen would greatly affect the genre.

Its been retconned, and this TL and my other TL in my siggie will merge when it gets to around 2016 in the tl and moves to future history

(I also have plans for a TL starting with a Carter re-election and an alternate video game era of the 80s and beyond)

It's been retconned. Gotta keep up to date with these things.

Your correct

I have my tl plans on my desktop now so hopefully I can update then, any recomendations, I plan to do a piece on the handheld systems and then on Microware and SNK.

While Perot was retconned, MS getting dissolved didnt, some of the older things did happen with the economy.

Ask and ye shall receive
Insomniac Games

Insomniac Games was founded into 1994, but did not complete their first game until 1996, Disruptor, a very good Doom like game for the Sega Neptune.

The game sold fairly well, and in 1998, Samsung-SNK would purchase a 40% stake in Insomniac as well as pay for several projects, including a game for the SNK arcade board, Disaster, a arcade light gun game similar to Sega-Namco's Time Crisis series, the game was later ported to the SNK Millenium.

The next game was Disruptor 2, releasing at the launch of the SNK Millenium Systems and was about the fight against the inter planetary cartels attempting to create a narco galactic order.

The game also featured a good online component, and was seen as a mixture of Perfect Dark and Doom. The game was the major FPS of the SNK IPs since they did not have many other IPs that were FPS or TPS.

While the studio had three teams, one made arcade games and ports of said games to consoles, the Disruptor/ FPS team and the Spyro team which made SNK's other platformer, Spyro the Dragon which released shortly after the Millenium's launch along with Disruptor 2.

In 2002, SNK-Samsung purchased the remaining 60% making them a full first party studio while they were developing an arcade style racer, Spyro 2 and Disruptor 3 as well as supporting Naughty Dog's development.

Naughty Dog
After releasing Crash Bandicoot in 2001, Crash 2 was released in 2002 as the first was actually completed in 2001.

After Crash 2, the Platformer team developed Jak and Dexter (2004) while the second team developed the game Uncharted which released in 2004 as a collaboration between Insomniac and Naughty Dog.

Jak and Dexter 2 would release in 2005 o decent sales but would ultimately miss sales projections leading to the studio going back to working on Crash and co developing Resistance with Insomniac Games.

Last edited:
AN UPDATE, FINALLY AFTER SO LONG.

well going sane, nice update if short(is Neptune, not saturn, niptick) show us Samsung-SNK picked the pieces of what was Sony in OTL and they're pretty more improved with First Party Studios, and Imsoniac is the most popular here,XD.

Nice update, both studio will improve, did S-S have studio in europe too?

Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
This makes me very, very happy. :) Also good to see that without the contracts with Universal Interactive that happened IOTL Naughty Dog and Insomniac get to keep their flagship titles.

This makes me very, very happy. :) Also good to see that without the contracts with Universal Interactive that happened IOTL Naughty Dog and Insomniac get to keep their flagship titles.

Yea, next update will be on their European studios I think then there Japanese stuff.

Anything you want to know about Microware's studios? (They own Atari and Midway among other things)

Midway​
After releasing Mortal Kombat 5, the studio decided tehy wanted to take a different route for their next game and instead, Microware managed to create a DC Vs Marvel game.

While the game had similar gameplay to Mortal Kombat, it did not feature the blood and gore of the series, but did keep up a revised version of fatalities just with a changed name.

Roster:

Marvel
Blackheart
Cable
Captain America
Colossus
Cyclops
Doctor Doom
Gambit
Hulk
Iceman
Iron Man
Juggernaut
Magneto
Marrow
Omega Red
Psylocke
Rogue
Sabretooth
Sentinel
Shuma-Gorath
Silver Samurai
Spider-Man
Spiral
Storm
Thanos
Venom
War Machine
Wolverine (Adamantium Claws)

DC
Superman
Batman
Deathstroke
Green Lantern
The Joker
Aquaman
Green Arrow
Wonder Woman
Batgirl
General Zod
Lex Luthor
The Flash
Harley Quinn
Nightwing
Hawkgirl

The game's graphics were rendered in 3D and were praised as being better than Nintendo's Tekken 3 or Sega's Virtua Fighter 4.

While Mortal Kombat 5 featured more realistic graphics, many though including the developers it lacked the feeling, the comedic nature of violence in the first three games and the 2.5D graphics that made it a unique fighter.

In Mortal Kombat 6, the studio went back to 2.5D graphics and went back to the comedic level of violence without being overly realistic and having the same old ridiculous plots that make Tekken's plots seem sane.

Cruis'n 2: Global Challenge would also release on the Xbox, it was well received by fans of the series, the game also was featured on the Xbox based arcade board Chihiro.

This game received DLC after the Xbox Live DLC marketplace was pushed and included additional courses and cars.

The Chihiro had several major games from Midway including:
-Marvel Vs DC
-Mortal Kombat 5
-Ultimate Mortal Kombat 6
-Halo: The Covenant Survival
-Gauntlet Dark Legacy (Similar to OTL)
-Halo: Operation Broken Storm
-Unreal Tournament
-Cruis'n 2: Global Challenge
-Rush 3

Halo: The Covenant Survival is a light gun horror game released on the Chihiro and Xbox and was reviewed extremely well by horror genre fans but proved decisive among Halo fans.

Halo: Operation Broken Storm is a shump similar in style to Radiant Silvergun and was released on the Chihiro and Xbox and was received well by fans of shoot em ups and Halo fans.

After the market failure of Pitfall 3D, Pitfall went back onto the drawing board and went back to its roots.....

Pitfall: Far Cry was released in 2004 and co developed between Crytek and Midway and released to great reviews and good commercial success beating expectations.

While originally an Atari IP, Midway handled the IP after the disastrous Pitfall 3D.

Next update Atari.....

Pretty Interesting in the DC vs Marvel (make far more sense that the crossover with mortal kombat, at least both franchise can make a solid T game rather a dumble down mortal kombat) and seem Midway take that Hole left with Capcom Collapse, a shame that will never happen like OTL but at least we were able to wait like 8 year more for Injustice

Nice Mortal Kombat is giving more Care, specially now as exclusive, well, i would need a Xbox like OTL(please Energizer, give me to me,xd)

That Chihiro(well Midway were japan fanboys and they would wanted the arcade have appeal in japan) have nice games, those Halo Spin off looks interesting and fun to play, would be interesting to see it.

So Pitfall not sucks? that is good.

nice update, you show how Microware means business here, pretty good

Atari
While Midway handled Pitfall and Gauntlet, Atari was tasked with creating new IPs or creating licensed games.

Microware scored a major victory early on in 2001 when they gained the Tom Clancy video game license.

Atari Montreal was created from talent scalping of Ubisoft as the company generally declined, especially after Ancel's departure from Ubisoft to join Atari France.

Tom Clancy games would be released near annually from the studio including starting with Splinter Cell and Patriot's which released respectively in 03 and 04.

Due to the state of Atari when Microware bought them, they were in dire need of new blood and new studios, fortunately Midway could handle many of Atari's IPs as they already had been, but Ubisoft's decline was Microware's gift.

Atari Scotland
Another major studio of Atari was Atari Scotland, led by RollerCoaster Tycoon and Transport Tycoon creator Chris Sawyer. This was one of Microware's only studios to make games for both the consoles and for the Windows OS as their games needed mouse and controller support.

The Xbox Tycoon Pack would Include Transport Tycoon Ultimate and RollerCoaster Tycoon Gold and was one of the first games on the system to use a keyboard and mouse.

Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 and Transport Tycoon released after the launch of Xbox Live and allowed DLC's and custom rides and attractions, scenarios to be shared over the service.

Due to the entangled state of affairs between Atari and Infogrames Interactive, Microware also purchased Infogrames Interactive for two reasons, to be able to fully control Atari and to have access to the wide variety of IPs that they had assembled over the previous few years.

Gremlin Graphics: One of the studios that became part of Atari, mainly created Atari Golf for both the Xbox and Chihiro and more importantly rebooted Dark Fusion, the 1988 platformer into a metroidvania crossed with a shoot em up platformer.

Dark Fusion: New Millennium released in 2004 to good sales matching expectations set by Microware and was received well by the gaming press.

Ocean Software (Now Atari England) was mainly responsible for the licensed Hasbro games that came from the Infogrames buy out, but did occasionally make their own game such as Operation Reich Fall, a game similar to Operation Wolf, with full lightgun support and online leader boards.
The game released on both Chihiro and the Xbox.

Microware incidentally purchased Firaxis in the convoluted deal, but Microware decided it was better to have them be independent of Atari like Bungie, Blue Fang and Ensemble Studios, but they will be covered at a a later time.

Atari France
Due to Ubisoft's flailing finances, Rayman was sold to Microware in 2004 and Rayman 3 would release on the Xbox in 2005 and Beyond Good and Evil released in 2003 led by Ancel.

Other Atari Studio's

Legend Entertainment:
Was re tasked with making more adventure and TPS games such as Unreal 2 which released in 2004 on the Xbox and the studios earlier game the Wheel of Time was ported to the Xbox and a sequel was released in 2005.

Both games beat expectations and cemented one of the notions of the Xbox as for better of worse the SBox for strategy, simulation and shooting.

Humongous Entertainment was tasked with making children games and mainly educational ones on PC/ Xbox as well as some family games.

Atari Reflections: This studio was working on an ambitious GTA clone focused on a Orwellian future as well as several other prototypes which would turn the studio into a cash cow for Microware.

The game released in 2004 to rave reviews under the title 1984: Watch Dogs a game focused on hacking and fighting a corrupt government in an open world set in Chicago. The game would go on to be a best seller on the Xbox breaking 1 million season in its holiday season.

Wow, Atari did get a massive Overhaul(with Ubi suffering, jejeje like an inverse from OTL) and with the those pc studio still keeping their minor games in pc and other becoming full microware, was pretty fine.

Sbox even early, well again Xbox as western was, the genre are pretty similar to those.

That would be a watchdogs i would gladly play, the new premise and maybe without otl issue(far weaker grapically but smother gameplay) would be a killer

Excellent update buddy, the Timeline have come more and more amazing keep there

so for a quick break from 1st Parties we look at a Japanese third party that is thriving on its own

Koei
While other companies were bought out or absorbed into 1st Parties, Koei decided to internalize talent on its own and not depend on petty console exclusive deals opting to instead be a rare mutliplatform publisher.

Among their notable acquisitions were From Software and Grasshopper.

In 1998, Bandit Kings 2 was released for the Neptune and 64 and was a bit different than the 1st, while still focusing on in depth strategy, combat and better visuals greatly helped the game reach its full potential.

Dark Souls (similar to OTL) released in 1999 and proved very financially successfully for Koei

Genghis Khan 2: The sequel to the SNES game returned in 1998 for the Neptune, Nintendo 64 and PC.

The series would continue and lead to it becoming a major force in the PC strategy world against Firaxis and Paradox Interactive.

Bladestorm: A strategy action game released in 2000 on Neptune and Nintendo 64 with a later PC version was centered on combat and strategy in the Hundred Years War, as you lead a mercenary band throughout the course of the war. A sequel Bladestorm 2 would later release on all four consoles and PC in 2004.

Dynasty Warriors: This game would lead to many many sequels and spin offs, but at its core is a fighting beat em up between multiple armies in a specific location sometimes historical sometimes fictional.

First Release 1997
Platforms: N64, Neptune, PC

Liberty or Death 2: Bondage of Slavery
A sequel to the simulation strategy game Liberty or Death, this game focuses more on strategy as one leads either the CSA or USA army in pivotal campaigns or new campaigns the player launches. The game also featured a remake of the original.

Released in 1998, Platforms Neptune, N64 and PC

Grasshopper made several mystery games most importantly "The Silver Case" series which started in 1999 for all systems and PC.

Pretty Interesting Koei, being the swizetland of japan developers and a rare PC developers, their stategy will give interesting benefits, specially when smaller publisher/dev like disagea, and others come into the play

Wayforward Technologies​

IGN Developer/ Publisher Information

Wayforward Technologies: Wayforward is an interesting studio that was established in 1990 to focus on licensed games which it did well and eventually branched out to original IPs during the SNES/ Genesis generation with two new IPs, Shovel Knight for the SNES and Shantae for the Sega Genesis.

titleimagejpg-e20e4b_800w-610x457.jpg

Shovel Knight was seen initially as a clone of mega man but quickly proved that it was unique game with unique digging mechanic that set it apart from other platformers of the time

Shovel Knight 2 released a year after the first in 1993 and Shovel Knight 3 in 1994

Shovel Knight 64 was a gorgeous N64 2.5d platformer which many said blew away Megaman 64 an irony considering that Shovel Knight was originally seen as a knock off of Mega Man.

Shantae released on the Sega Genesis in 1992 to great reviews as a good solid platformer that the genesis lacked that was focused on traditional platforming instead of speed and other gimmicks.

shantae-gba.jpg

The game was a critical and financial success that led to Shantae 2 Risky Revenge being greenlight and a Sega Game Gear game as well as leading the way to Shovel Knight as another original IP. Shantae 3 released in 1994 and Shantae 4 released on the Sega Neptune as a 2d platformer that set the bar for platformers on the Sega Neptune in terms of graphics.

Over time, Wayforward has received contracts from several first parties including Sega Gunstar Heroes Aurora, Nintendo for Waluigi Land (Nintendo Dolphin) and a handheld Contra game for SNK for their handheld.

So Here Wayforward did broke the NES and jumped to SNES quickly, pretty nice, the studio have a missed oportunity in OTL and here starting directly to game was pretty rad, nice with shovel being SNES and Shantae SEGA, and nice jab to sonic by the way, xd.

Should add wondermomo line here, as sega own namco and would like to used that IP

Pretty nice buddy so you're back, hope not so long wait now,XD

General note on my TLs and lack of updates, been having severe allergy issues and been pretty miserable (getting new meds soon hope they help)

Anyways here is an update inspired from me playing Advance Wars

Nintendo OS
After Nintendo had bought the remnants of Apple's patents and IPs, it was speculated that they would go into developing an operating system and surely enough they would, Nintendo OS 1.0 Released in 2004 with the basics such as an office program, internet browser, video plug ins and other normal computer apps.

More notably was Nintendo's launch of the Virtual Console games on both Nintendo OS and the Nintendo Dolphin as well as a set of strategy games coming to both systems as well, the Advance Wars/ Battalion Wars Series to compete with RTS and turn based strategy games as well as later on releasing their own simulation esque games.

The Virtual Console hosted the library's of games older than one generation than the current console/ handheld. The unified account of this service was lauded by gamers as future Nintendo consoles used the Nintendo OS, the virtual console and select other games had cross buy features.

To the surprise of many analysts, the OS became quite popular as it blended gaming and work easily and united consoles and computers.

In research and development, Nintendo planned to capitalize on this sentiment with a new device, the Nintablet a tablet with game buttons and a d pad that would play handheld games, Nintendo Computer Games and traditional apps like a word processor and spreadsheet editor......

Interestign pretty interestying(nice use to my idea i comment in other topic,xd)

Is Nintendo OS compatible with Dolphin(like OTL PS2 was able to run linux) and if dolphin still use IBM part should be easier, as Apple before 2003 still use IBM powerpc as main CPU.

and the Accoutn based VC, that would rock, keep your retro game in the pc and console and play when you want.

Bleemcast

By 2003, SNK had managed to gain a decent foothold in the Japanese market, deeply disturbing Sega. At the same time, the small company Bleem! discovered that a commercial emulator that could emulate the Millennium on the Aurora would be much easier than expected. This was due to both systems having very similar architectures and since the Aurora was released later on, thus having better specs. Bleemcast, nicknamed by the codename of the Aurora, the Dreamcast and the company's name (As the developers did not think Dreamauroa sounded like a decent name).

At release, the compatibility list included nearly every game hat had been released so far for the SNK Millenium and immediately started a lawsuit between Bleem! and SNK-Samsung. In the background, Sega financed Bleem!'s legal team and in the end prevailed over SNK-Samsung and the product was declared legal to the detriment of SNK as not only did Bleemcast play their games on the competitions system, it rendered them in better visuals and in many cases higher or more stable frame rates.

In 2004, Sega purchased Bleem! for an undisclosed amount of money and eventually included Bleemcast with the Sega Aurora Hard Drive Expansion pre installed along with Phantasy Star Online 2, the game's flagship title.

Jejejejejee, that OTL was a interesting issue(as Sony at the time already bought other emulator group, Connetix, but here that would not exist) and bleem was pretty interesying using the direct disc(thus bypassin US legal hole that emulator are legal, rom/iso aren't), heck that would be interesting how unfold