Northern Star, a timeline with a united Scandinavia

1404:
Gerhard, The Duke of Slesvig and Count of Holstein dies. He leaves three minor sons and a wife. Queen Margrethe I acts fast, and with surprising ease manages to get King Olav IV appointed as the guardian of the three minors. She then launches a reduction in Slesvig also; real estates are acquired both as security for loans and as ordinary transactions.

The Province of Falsterbo is bought back, and with it the lucrative Scania Market.

Looking forward to see how you handle the troubles in Slesvig.;)

Sorry but Im planning the quite opposite. IMHO the key to succes is to stay the hell out of Germany and keep Icland as a key initial stepstone for a maritime power. Baltic and parts of Russia, yes. But Germany is a definite no no... :)

hey man im liking your TL, above all it seems very plausible. I agree to you on that, the scandinavians must avoid land struggles in the HRE. But some decades later the muscovites will take novgorod, after series of wars. I think that between these wars could be the great moment to stablish the boundaries between Nordland and Russia, attacking novgorod and negotiating the borders following the rivers between the lakes (but leaving a small portion of shore to novgorod, as the lack of baltic shore would incite rage in the future russia). So nordland would embrace the whole of scandinavian peninsula, including kola, karelia, kexholm and so. The few natives could be easily scandinavised.
Another idea is that some old-norse feeling could fasten and ease the mentality of a united scandinavia among the folk; it would be nice if there would be a prince (non heir) that, like Infante Henrique de Portugal, would be fascinated with navigation. Here this prince would be fascinated with the old norse sagas and so, would travel to Iceland, and perhaps visit Greenland. This prince could give, like occurred in Portugal, the fuel to start the exploration of the atlantic, to open navigation schools, and to gain the interest of the population, and so to strengthen the country. This could be of course a seed of the future colonization of canada, and perhaps some caribbean isles. And, recovering the old writings in Iceland, would be possible to adopt a stardard written language for the country, based on these writings, this would unite and strengthen the scandinavians even more, and open way to (possibly) a great education system in the future.
This was the way that Italy (Firenze) and Germany (Luther) adopted their written langages just after their unifications.
Well waiting you to write more, youre very plausible, thats why I think that your TL is going so good.
(perhaps in your TL whole spain would unite too, including portugal, around 1500. just like in the kalmar union, it was because the early death of a portuguese prince, heir of both portugal and spain, that spain did not fully unite. there was too the idea of unification among the folk and among a great part of the nobility. think about:))

Looking forward to see how you handle the troubles in Slesvig.;)

Yes, I have not quite decided yet. I have a few possibilities, but I do not want things to speed up too mutch

hey man im liking your TL, above all it seems very plausible. I agree to you on that, the scandinavians must avoid land struggles in the HRE.

Thank you for your kind words. Feedback is apreciated. Bot possitive and negative.

But some decades later the muscovites will take novgorod, after series of wars. I think that between these wars could be the great moment to stablish the boundaries between Nordland and Russia, attacking novgorod and negotiating the borders following the rivers between the lakes (but leaving a small portion of shore to novgorod, as the lack of baltic shore would incite rage in the future russia). So nordland would embrace the whole of scandinavian peninsula, including kola, karelia, kexholm and so. The few natives could be easily scandinavised. Another idea is that some old-norse feeling could fasten and ease the mentality of a united scandinavia among the folk; it would be nice if there would be a prince (non heir) that, like Infante Henrique de Portugal, would be fascinated with navigation. Here this prince would be fascinated with the old norse sagas and so, would travel to Iceland, and perhaps visit Greenland. This prince could give, like occurred in Portugal, the fuel to start the exploration of the atlantic, to open navigation schools, and to gain the interest of the population, and so to strengthen the country. This could be of course a seed of the future colonization of canada, and perhaps some caribbean isles. And, recovering the old writings in Iceland, would be possible to adopt a stardard written language for the country, based on these writings, this would unite and strengthen the scandinavians even more, and open way to (possibly) a great education system in the future.
This was the way that Italy (Firenze) and Germany (Luther) adopted their written langages just after their unifications.

Have you been hacking into my pc and looked at my notes :eek: :D

Well waiting you to write more, youre very plausible, thats why I think that your TL is going so good.
(perhaps in your TL whole spain would unite too, including portugal, around 1500. just like in the kalmar union, it was because the early death of a portuguese prince, heir of both portugal and spain, that spain did not fully unite. there was too the idea of unification among the folk and among a great part of the nobility. think about:))

Again I thanks. I most certainly will continue. Hopefully a new update during late next week, but Im a bit hung up in RL activities right now. Sorry

So if I'm getting this correct....

Olaf IV is king of the Kalmar Union but he is the King (personally) of Denmark?

Then what does Queen Margarethe rule?

&

Wouldn't Olaf IV be considered "High" King - technically? - or is that just a British term?

So if I'm getting this correct....

Olaf IV is king of the Kalmar Union but he is the King (personally) of Denmark?

Then what does Queen Margarethe rule?

&

Wouldn't Olaf IV be considered "High" King - technically? - or is that just a British term?

Olav is the king of Norway, king of Denmark and king of Sweden. He is also king of the union wich in addition to the three kingdoms include the Atlantic provinces and the Duchy of Finland. Regarding Slesvig Olav would rate as the feudal lord of the Duke of Slesvig, ATM Holsteinian nobolity.

Margrethe is the mother of Olav, and has no other "de jure" powers than beeing mother :D . De facto she runs quite a bit of her sons show.

Sorry, I can see that I should have been clearer about that :eek:

:)so here are some points:
-the border between scandinavia and the HRE (and future germany) must be clearly and early defined, in order to avoid future attritions with that country. you should bring slesvig soon to scandinavian hands, and left clear that holstein is german, and slesvig is norse. this means that olav must break the ties between these fiefs, and, again, clearly establish the borders. to make it he of course will need to subjugate the nobles of slesvig, which are linked to the holsteins ones. after that scandinavia should avoid at the maximum land struggles in the HRE
-when the teutonic order collapse, it will be the time to take estonia, along with its isles.
-in the future, a friendly germany would be useful (and maybe necessary) to hold down russia. this is why the scandinavians could take advantage on diplomacy, in order to influence which state will be the dominant one. after the reformation, will be a good chance to choose a protestant state (brandenburg or other?) to approach and help, and influence the scene.
but beware the thirty years war! the best would be only diplomacy, and some local and effective militar operations. england too could be an ally
-the competition with scandinavia as early american explorer could be a factor in order to approach portugal and spain, rather than be struggling for the new lands. see this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afonso,_Infante_of_Portugal
if the habsburgs do not reach spain, perhaps the netherlands would not unite and quit the HRE, and would never build a independent country, rather would be part of future germany. perhaps france would join the colonial race earlier too.
you are free to comment these ideas. best wishes to your History :D

:)so here are some points:

-the border between scandinavia and the HRE (and future germany) must be clearly and early defined, in order to avoid future attritions with that country. you should bring slesvig soon to scandinavian hands, and left clear that holstein is german, and slesvig is norse. this means that olav must break the ties between these fiefs, and, again, clearly establish the borders. to make it he of course will need to subjugate the nobles of slesvig, which are linked to the holsteins ones. after that scandinavia should avoid at the maximum land struggles in the HRE

That's a must. Getting involved in Germany would screw with the nobles' loyalties and interests.

-when the teutonic order collapse, it will be the time to take estonia, along with its isles.

Probably a good bit of the rest of the Baltic, too.

-in the future, a friendly germany would be useful (and maybe necessary) to hold down russia. this is why the scandinavians could take advantage on diplomacy, in order to influence which state will be the dominant one. after the reformation, will be a good chance to choose a protestant state (brandenburg or other?) to approach and help, and influence the scene.

Why not the netherlands, as you mention later.

but beware the thirty years war! the best would be only diplomacy, and some local and effective militar operations. england too could be an ally

It would probably be best if they stayed on the sidelines, intervening only when necessary.

-the competition with scandinavia as early american explorer could be a factor in order to approach portugal and spain, rather than be struggling for the new lands. see this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afonso,_Infante_of_Portugal

That would be interesting.

if the habsburgs do not reach spain, perhaps the netherlands would not unite and quit the HRE, and would never build a independent country, rather would be part of future germany.

I love this idea! Assuming the Dutch still build their colonial empire and assuming they still have it when Germany is formed, this will make it much richer.

perhaps france would join the colonial race earlier too.

Only if they could gain a foothold in India or the Indies, the Americas were pretty much Anglo-Spanish property from the beginning.

you are free to comment these ideas.

Hope you don't mind that I commented..

best wishes to your History :D

Same here, keep going!

New chapter

1402:
By now the Atlantic Trading Company routinely trades on the Atlantic Provinces. More sporadic trading is done to the north, but contact is established with the Pomors. The activity of the company is not insignificantly increasing the trade activity in Bergen, both from Union and League merchants. The Royal Scandic Trading Company is still a small enterprise, but trades regular on all Union cities with trading privileges. The Leidang ships are also gaining experience and numbers.

In Finland a low level conflict is continuously fought against traders and settlers from Novgorod. The fighting takes form in piracy and raids from both sides.

1404:
Gerhard, The Duke of Slesvig and Count of Holstein dies while battling the peasants of Ditmarsken. He leaves three minor sons and a wife, the Duchess Elisabeth. His brother Henrik, the bishop of Osnabrück, claims parts of the two fiefs. Queen Margrethe I acts fast, and with surprising ease manages to get King Olav IV appointed as the guardian of the three minors. Henrik’s attempt to take pieces of Slesvig and Holstein fails.

The Province of Falsterbo is bought back, and with it the lucrative Scania Market.

1405:
With King Olav IV as guardian to the heirs of Slesvig and Holstein, Queen Margrethe I launches a reduction in Slesvig also; real estates are acquired often as pawns but also as ordinary transactions.

1406:
A ship from the Atlantic Trading Company makes its first run to Greenland, and regular contact is re-established.

1407:
The Duchess of Slesvig becomes increasingly worried about the amount of land Queen Margrethe I has acquired. In August she comes to terms with Henrik and together with other nobles from Holstein they break the peace.

1409:
The continuous hostilities in Slesvig are a cause of concerns to both parties, and in April a convention with most nobility in Slesvig and Holstein takes place. After a poor defence from the bishop of Osnabrück, the Duchess is made responsible for the outbreak of hostilities and is forced to make huge reparation. As she cannot raise the money, she instead has to pawn Flensborg with its strategic important castle.

In late July the hostilities in Slesvig is resumed, after the Duchess have received new support from the nobility in Holstein. Flensborg is lost before the crown can take advantage of it and the war continues mostly with sieges and scarcely any battles.

1410:
A second daughter is borne to King Olav IV. She is named Synne Olavsdotter.

The Battle of Grünwald marks the beginning of the end for the Teutonic Order.

1411:
In February a peace treaty signed between Poland-Lithuania and the Teutonic Order ending the Polish-Lithuanian-Teutonic War. King Olav IV is present and raises claims to Estonia and Gotland. While claims to Estonia are little adhered to, the claims to Gotland are acknowledged. A ransom is tough required, a condition King Olav IV flatly refuses.

1412:
With both sides little willing to commit, the conflict in Slesvig comes to a temporary end. The Kolding agreement returns the status quo from the 1409 convention. This leaves most of northern and central Slesvig either as crown estates or in the hands of friendly nobles. As a security against future crown ambitions, Birgitta Olavsdotter is betrothed to Duchess of Holstein’s oldest son, Henrik. The marriage is to take place after a five years truce.

With Flensborg once again in royal hands, the royal family enters the town. But with the return of peace to Slesvig, the crown is handed a loss of another kind: Within a few days after arriving in Flensborg, the mother of King Olav IV, founder of the Kalmar Union, Queen Margrethe I dies, 59 years old.

Let's not get carried away here. India or the Far East would be really pushing a fine TL into ASB status, likewise conquering the British Isles.

You CAN be reasonable and still have some amazing changes in the world. At least, that's what I've heard.

Possible changes:

1) The Little Ice Age is unavoidable and renders Greenland useless for settlement purposes, although a single fortified base could be justified. Nonetheless the Scandinavians have a shred of awareness regarding North America with grape vines and huge trees perfect for ships and so forth. Have an effort made to shore up Iceland, perhaps it becomes the holding of a loyal but less prominent family willing to settle for the title of earl with an unusual degree of independence?

Independent lords might be especially eager to expand westward.

Once the great fishing resources off of Canada/New England are found it is certain that the Scandinavians will follow. Circa 1630 Plymouth had less than 300 people but more than 10,000 were off the coast most of the year. Once the Scandinavians find such a valuable item(food and trade) they inevitably start trading with the natives and settlements will be sure to follow.

Since it is believed these fishing grounds were being used by 1472 have the date advanced by 20-30 years. By 1460 the king becomes sufficiently aware as to start to encourage trading on a larger scale, no doubt a few people have already set up shop, the fishing fleet being something of a captive market when the choice is purchase X or go all the way back to Europe for X.

Once the Puritans got going they were able to successfully go to 10,000 people in less than 5 years so why not a New Scandinavia by the early 16th Century and a quarter of a million people by 1600?

Hmm, if the Native Americans get hit by the European diseases a generation earlier they MIGHT offer more resistance to the Spaniards...alternately the Aztecs and Incas might not be such glittering prizes.

2) Going eastward the Republic of Novgorod was an old trading partner doomed to fall before Moscow. How about a little support or simply have a fairly large area including the Kola Penninsula being absorbed? Likewise when the Teutonics go down, the Scandinavians should be there.

Incidentally the Poles absolutely hated the Teutonics and with very good reason. Perhaps if Kalmar actually helps the Poles a long-term relationship might spring up?

3) Bear in mind that to a large degree Holland was, quite ironically, the sole long lasting creation of Philip II and the Duke of Alva. Without the Hapsburgs and the effects that several generations of war had on Holland there is every reason to believe that Holland would be a very different place, or, more likely, a scattering of many smaller places. No colonies for Germany-to-be but that just leaves a vacuum to fill, doesn't it?;)

Let's not get carried away here. India or the Far East would be really pushing a fine TL into ASB status, likewise conquering the British Isles.

You CAN be reasonable and still have some amazing changes in the world. At least, that's what I've heard.

Possible changes:

1) The Little Ice Age is unavoidable and renders Greenland useless for settlement purposes, although a single fortified base could be justified. Nonetheless the Scandinavians have a shred of awareness regarding North America with grape vines and huge trees perfect for ships and so forth. Have an effort made to shore up Iceland, perhaps it becomes the holding of a loyal but less prominent family willing to settle for the title of earl with an unusual degree of independence?

Independent lords might be especially eager to expand westward.

[I]With the re-establishment of Regular supply ships... the Eastern settlement probably gets a longer life....but agreed thaat once things get so bad that the Western settlement has to be abandonned they will move back to Iceland or even Norway....others will congregate for a while in the Eastern Settlement. As conditions worsen someone will go looking to see if the tales of Vinland are true...once rediscovered, say in the '40's or 50's most of the Eastern settlement will re-locate to Vinland (where ever anyone thinks that actually is ....for now we will say northern Newfoundland and the straits of Belle Isle, but anywhere on the Island will do) That leaves only a small fortified outpost to supply the ships plying between the waters of Iceland and Newfoundland. The whole expedition is likely to be the idea of Greenlanders returning to Iceland and drumming up support there for an Icelandic voyage of re-discovery.

[/I]
Once the great fishing resources off of Canada/New England are found it is certain that the Scandinavians will follow. Circa 1630 Plymouth had less than 300 people but more than 10,000 were off the coast most of the year. Once the Scandinavians find such a valuable item(food and trade) they inevitably start trading with the natives and settlements will be sure to follow.

Since it is believed these fishing grounds were being used by 1472 have the date advanced by 20-30 years. By 1460 the king becomes sufficiently aware as to start to encourage trading on a larger scale, no doubt a few people have already set up shop, the fishing fleet being something of a captive market when the choice is purchase X or go all the way back to Europe for X.

Once the Puritans got going they were able to successfully go to 10,000 people in less than 5 years so why not a New Scandinavia by the early 16th Century and a quarter of a million people by 1600?

Isn't that pushing the population a bit...Scandinavia doesn't have that many people to populate the place...though I suppose they could recruit colonists from the Hanse cities

Hmm, if the Native Americans get hit by the European diseases a generation earlier they MIGHT offer more resistance to the Spaniards...alternately the Aztecs and Incas might not be such glittering prizes.

It will be the Eastern Woodlands (particularly in the NE...but the SE as well as it filters out from the areas of first contact. )peoples who get hit first...and we are talking probably a century ahead of Otl here... I am not sure that the deseases would spread so rapidly from that area to the Mesoamerican cultures....How much contact was there actually between these areas? Would the desease vectors actually die out before they travelled that far. The whole Dawnland and lower St. Lawrence could be decimated...but would the Scandinavians be able to emigrate and fill the gap before the natives recovered ( would the incentive actually be there...probably only sparsely settled trading outposts at best...... on the coast probably they will be more densely settled....... but not in the interior above Montreal or beyond the Appalachians. A hybrid Scandinavian version of the Metis say. Though I espect the Huron/Iroquois peoples will still be predominant.

2) Going eastward the Republic of Novgorod was an old trading partner doomed to fall before Moscow. How about a little support or simply have a fairly large area including the Kola Penninsula being absorbed? Likewise when the Teutonics go down, the Scandinavians should be there.

Let them offer protection to the Grandmaster of Livonia instead once the Grandmaster of the Teutonic order becomes a vassal of the Poles. Kurland and points north, ends up in some kind of relationship with the Scandinavians that way.

Incidentally the Poles absolutely hated the Teutonics and with very good reason. Perhaps if Kalmar actually helps the Poles a long-term relationship might spring up?

This would actually be a good avenue to pursue....if your looking to contain the future growth of Russia into the Baltic region at both of their expense. Mind you that is along way off... The time of the troubles will be soon enough to consider options like this...but who is to say they occur now.

3) Bear in mind that to a large degree Holland was, quite ironically, the sole long lasting creation of Philip II and the Duke of Alva. Without the Hapsburgs and the effects that several generations of war had on Holland there is every reason to believe that Holland would be a very different place, or, more likely, a scattering of many smaller places. No colonies for Germany-to-be but that just leaves a vacuum to fill, doesn't it?;)

Ironic that the most enduring legacy of the most Catholic king of Europe was Protestant Holland. Without either of these people or someone like them to pursue a similiar agenda... Then Calvinist Holland most assuredly does not exist, remains as Duchies and counties within the bloated mass of the HRE in central Europe. The wars of religion could still prove very interesting to be sure, and are likely to have an entirely different dynamic.

Last edited:

I agree, so then these native civilizations would not fall so easy to a handful of spanish conquerors. This could lead to greater preservation of the culture of these peoples, and even to a resistence against european domination.
I agree to take these territories, but the poles would not be good long-term friends, they would have been a terrifying influence to scandinavia. And after the reformation the relationship with a very catholic Poland would decay fast. The best for the scandinavians would be keep away from the polish magnates. After all, they too would have wished annex these parts of livonia we are talking about.
As you can read above, my idea is exactly that the netherlands would not unite and, therefore, not quit the HRE. Without the spanish habsburgs, the dutch mentality that lead to the unification of the area and its independence would never appear as occurred in real history. austria alone, having these provinces, would not manage to secure these lands after the reformation. the most plausible would be that the region return to the feudal status that preceded the burgundys purchase of the region. therefore, none dutch colonial empire here.
If the scandinavians could have the upper hand on the destruction of the TO, the new protestant state of Grand Master Albrecht von Hohenzollern could embrace kurland, aswell of east prussia, while scandinavia take estonia and part of livonia. thus, if the electors of brandenburg gain control over this region, like occurred in real history, brandenburg would become somewhat subject to scandinavia, and much stronger than real brandenburg in this period. this state, with a long-term relationship with scandinavia, could become dominant in the german scenario, and this would become favourable to the scandinavians.

congratulations oddball, you really can make it appear as if one's reading a history book. your parsimony is evident, in this modest bite on slesvig territory.
now olav is on his own. it appears that the following years will not bring great conflicts, as Erik of Pomerania isnt there to start the war against the hansa.
novgorod has to wait a bit more. maybe its time to internal reforms, or even to look westward, to an eventual rediscovery of vinland and markland. once it has started, it will be fast to expand the norse maps.

Fyrwulf

Banned
A Kalmar timeline, goody! I'd really like to see some resolution to the Schleswig-Holstein thing, as my family descends from nobility in the southern part of that Duchy. IIRC, the head of the main branch of the Larsen family (I think he was a count, but I've never dug that deep) had a first cousin that was the daughter of the Duke of Schleswig-Holstein that married the Danish crown prince (and later king.)

Frankly some level of Danish influence in Germany is unavoidable because I know for sure that the Larsens (that is, the branch I'm descended from) had some fairly deep trading contacts with the League.

1412:
With both sides little willing to commit, the conflict in Slesvig comes to a temporary end. The Kolding agreement returns the status quo from the 1409 convention. This leaves most of northern and central Slesvig either as crown estates or in the hands of friendly nobles. As a security against future crown ambitions, Birgitta Olavsdotter is betrothed to Duchess of Holstein’s oldest son, Henrik. The marriage is to take place after a five years truce.

I hadn't thought of this solution to the problem. Very well thought.

?Would there be Protestants? This is going to Butterfly the heck out of the HRE. there may not be a Martin Luther. or a John Calvin.

and If there is someone like, they may not be as lucky to have the Noble protectors that ML & JC had.

How can there not be Protestants? The reasons for the schism are all still there but there is a factor to consider. The greatest Catholic powers, France and the Hapsburg Empire, remained true to Catholicism because they already had so much power that the Pope didn't dare not to compromise with these nations when it mattered.

If Kalmar becomes sufficiently powerful to force concessions without a break...

I have some strong doubts as to a stronger Brandenburg ever really being a good neighbor to Sweden. What about the king of Kalmar replacing the king of England in a marriage involving Hanover? The northwest quarter of Germany becomes part of Kalmar.

For a change in Holland simply have the infamous Duke of Alva butterflied away, or perhaps just his presence in Holland. Without his atrocities perhaps more sensible Spanish leaders can negotiate a settlement.

I have some strong doubts as to a stronger Brandenburg ever really being a good neighbor to Sweden.

Why? Remember, there will be no Sweden as state, and brandenburg was that hostile to sweden because of the latter's forcible purchase of parts of pomerania. think, if scandinavia acts fast when albrecht declare itself protestant and flee to prussia, the TO would have no time to prepare itself, and scandinavia could assure the gain of estonia and parts of livonia. this makes much sense, if protestant ideas gain foot in scandinavia this early, as really occurred in real history, albrecht would really be seen as an possible ally. for that reason, albrecht's favourable recommendation on the end of TO would be good to the scandinavian securing of these new lands, and he could gain kurland to make it representative. the poles of course wouldn't like this, so they could have the eastern part of livonia. once they hate the TO, they would be satisfied. and the most important, due to the protestant linkage between scandinavia and albrecht, he would ask for protection to scandinavia, and not to the poles, who were catholic and only accepted that to weaken the TO. this means that prussia-kurland would be partly subject to the scandinavian crown. so if the hohenzollerns of brandenburg gain this state by royal marriage, like occurred, they would became partly subject to scandinavia, and if scandinavia not show interest in annexing brandenburg's lands, it could lead to a long-term relationship, reinforced by the protestant faith.

Dont worry, Im not going in the "megalomainiac empire" trap. Rest asured :D

Filling vacuums could be interesting enough, but competitions and alliances is IMHO equaly fun... :p :D