No W-An Alternate 2000s TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
BUSH KILLED IN CAR CRASH EN ROUTE TO REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION

CNN, August 1, 2000

Texas Governor and Republican Party Presidential Candidate George W. Bush died last night in Philadelphia after his limousine was T-Boned at an intersection by a drunk driver in a pickup while en route to the Republican National Convention. Bush was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 1:30 AM.

Bush was expected to win the candidacy at the convetion. His death has cast the convention's outcome into doubt.

Last edited:

bookmark95

Banned
BUSH KILLED IN CAR CRASH EN ROUTE TO REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION

CNN, August 1, 2000

Texas Governor and Republican Party Presidential Candidate George W. Bush died last night in Philadelphia after his limousine was T-Boned at an intersection by a drunk driver in a pickup while en route to the Republican National Convention. Bush was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 1:30 AM.

Bush was expected to win the candidacy at the convetion. His death has cast the convention's outcome into doubt.

My guess is the nomination would go to John McCain, since he was the runner up.

After that, I don't know. Would the GOP be strengthened by the death of a promising politician, or would it be weakened by the Republicans not getting the candidate they wanted?

My guess is the nomination would go to John McCain, since he was the runner up.

After that, I don't know. Would the GOP be strengthened by the death of a promising politician, or would it be weakened by the Republicans not getting the candidate they wanted?
Frankly, I would think that McCain's moderate image along with public sympathy following Bush's death will result in McCain winning a relatively comfortable victory in 2000. :)

MCCAIN NOMINATED BY RNC

New York Times, August 3, 2000

After four nights of voting, the Republican National Convention has nominated John McCain as the Republican candidate for the presidential election. McCain's nomination comes on the heels of the death of George W. Bush. Bush had been expected to win the nomination before his untimely death in a traffic accident en route to the convention. McCain's nomination was an accident-he had actually formally withdrew from the race in March, and had released his convention delegates to Bush before the latter's death.

For his running mate, McCain has selected Richard Cheney, former Secretary of Defense under President George H.W. Bush.

Last edited:
GEORGE W BUSH LAID TO REST

Wall Street Journal, August 5, 2000

George W. Bush, the late Governor of Texas and 2000 Republican Presidential Candidate hopeful, was laid to rest today in the state capital of Austin. Attending the funeral was Bush's father, former president George H.W. Bush, his mother Barbara, his brothers Jeb, Neil, and Marvin, his sister Dorothy, his widow Laura, and his daughters Jenna and Barbara. A surprise guest was incumbent President Bill Clinton. Clinton attended in a show of sympathy towards his former political rival.

He was the best the GOP could come up with after Bush bit the dust.

McCain withdrew because he knew he could not win nomination and did not want to disrupt GOP unity. That all changes with Bush's death and he takes the nomination. He could easily beat Gore in general election and than you have the AHC of the McCain Presidency 2001-2005 which was somewhere else in this section.

FIRST PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE HELD IN BOSTON

Washington Post, October 3, 2000

DRUNK DRIVER RESPONSIBLE FOR BUSH'S DEATH ATTEMPTS TO ESCAPE PRISON

New York Times, October 3, 2000

23-year-old Craig Hartigan of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the man who caused the death of George W. Bush in a drunk-driving accident, was wounded yesterday when he tried to jump the fence of the Philadelphia County Jail. Hartigan, having been held without bond since the accident, attempted to take advantage of a disturbance in the prison yard to make his escape. Unfortunately for him, an eagle-eyed guard spotted Hartigan attempting to climb the fence and shot him once in the back.

Commenting on the incident, Bush's brother Marvin said "If I were that guard, I would've shot the chump in the head. He made a willful decision to drive while intoxicated, knowing full well he could kill somebody."

Last edited:
McCain wins. Gore still does not use Clinton as he should have. McCain is more articulate than Bush. There is no DUI scandal. McCain is a war hero not a draft dodger. He wins Florida without a recount. He wins the popular vote. He wins the states Gore won by less the 1 % of the vote: Wisconsin, Iowa, New Mexico and Oregon. So Electoral College totals would have been: McCain 401 Gore 237.

USS FORRESTAL MUSEUM INC. CLOSER TO GOAL

Baltimore Sun, October 8, 2000

The supercarrier USS Forrestal is one step closer to being preserved as a floating museum, according to the organization dedicated to saving her.

The USS Forrestal Museum Inc. has noted a sharp increase in donations towards their goal. This has been attributed to the candidacy of John McCain, who served on Forrestal in the Vietnam War in the late 1960s.

McCain wins. Gore still does not use Clinton as he should have. McCain is more articulate than Bush. There is no DUI scandal. McCain is a war hero not a draft dodger. He wins Florida without a recount. He wins the popular vote. He wins the states Gore won by less the 1 % of the vote: Wisconsin, Iowa, New Mexico and Oregon. So Electoral College totals would have been: McCain 301 Gore 237.

Surely you meant this?

I do not think he'll win by such a large margin, but it will be more decisive than OTL.

Of course, considering how close it was OTL, it will be a very different campaign; McCain may very well lose.

MCCAIN ELECTED 43RD PRESIDENT

New York Times, November 8, 2000

The American people have spoken-John McCain has won the presidential election, carrying 34 states and winning 301 electoral votes.

If Hartigan was a person who aided or abetted 9/11, the terrorist attack might be butterflied away.. And America might benefit in the end...

None of what I've heard or read concerning about 9/11 says anything about a Craig Hartigan. It was just a name I made up on the fly for someone who may or may not exist IRL.

I, John McCain, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

John McCain's inaugural oath, January 20, 2001.

Status
Not open for further replies.