No Ottoman Empire in WW1

Hashasheen

Banned
I realize this might have been discussed before and if it has, someone putting links in this thread would be cool.

But yeah, on-topic. If the Ottoman Empire had stayed neutral during the war, how would the following questions get answered:

1. How would it have affected the eastern fronts of the war, not to mention the Russian and British efforts?
  2. What would the Middle East be like after the war?
  3. Would the Ottomans have capitalized in Caucasus if Russia still collapsed?
  4. Would there have been further reforms?
  5. What about the Arabs, Kurds and Armenians across the empire? Would integration have occurred or a sense of Turkism occurred?
  6. How would the Jewish situation diverged?
  7. Would the Hashemites have remained as overseers in Hejaz and Al Rashid in Ha'il?
  8. Would the Al Saud have been conquered by the Ottomans and that territory either split between their Arab allies or merged into their territory?
  9. What of British interests in the area?
  10. But most important of all: Would alternate me still be as awesome as I?

Last edited:
If Ottoman Empire stay neutral in WW1

No Caucasus Campaign,no Persian Campaign,Gallipoli Campaign,Mesopotamian Campaign,No Arab Revolt,No Armeninan Resistance.

After the WW1 modern day Turkey,Syria,Lebanon,Israel,Palestin,Jordan,Iraq,Kuwait,Saudi Arabia,Qatar,Bahrain,UEA,north part of Yemen under control of Ottoman Empire.

May be Ottoman puppet states in Caucasus.

Ottoman Empire under dictatorship Enver Pasha may be conservaitve style reforms.

Islamism much be popular for integration.

No way to Israel.

Hashemites only Mecca Sharifs.

Sauds will destroyed.

After WW1 British will much close to Ottoman Empire for oil.

For 1), it entirely depends if shipping is allowed through the Bosporus. If yes, than the Russian economy is effectively saved (OTL it suffered tremendously when its major Baltic and Black Sea ports were cut off, and thus forced to rely on minor shipping through Archangelsk and Vladivostock).

I realize this might have been discussed before and if it has, someone putting links in this thread would be cool.

But yeah, on-topic. If the Ottoman Empire had stayed neutral during the war, how would the following questions get answered:

1. How would it have affected the eastern fronts of the war, not to mention the Russian and British efforts?
  2. What would the Middle East be like after the war?
  4. Would there have been further reforms?
  5. What about the Arabs, Kurds and Armenians across the empire? Would integration have occurred or a sense of Turkism occurred?
  6. How would the Jewish situation diverged?
  7. Would the Hashemites have remained as overseers in Hejaz and Al Rashid in Ha'il?
  8. Would the Al Saud have been conquered by the Ottomans and that territory either split between their Arab allies or merged into their territory?
  9. What of British interests in the area?
  10. But most important of all: Would alternate me still be as awesome as I?

1. The Entente would certainly have an advantage. Would they be able to win earlier? I don't know.
2. The same as pre- war
3. Perhaps, at least they'd tried to seize the Kars- Adrahan territory. And probably backed the Azeris.
4. Hopefully. I don't think the Dictatorship would survive, and some kind of Third Constitutional Era would begin in the 20s. Would it fare any better than the two earlier attempts at democratization? Who knows.
5. Could go any way. Nationalist sentiments will rise, and it's up to the Empire to try to handle both the Turks and the other groups.
6. No Israel.
7. Unless one of them are beaten by some rival. The Ottoman influence would remain quite strong though.
8. I don't think the Ottomans would want to expand into central Arabia. If the Sauds cause trouble, and the Ottomans is dragged in to protect their vassal states, they'd probably just chase the Sauds back into the desert, or crush them and give the governance of Nejd to some Arab warlord.
9. Britain would probably invest in the empire, to secure their interests.
10. Maybe

1. The Entente would certainly have an advantage. Would they be able to win earlier? I don't know.
Have to agree there; the Entente has a big boost compared to OTL, but it's not outside the realm of possibility of that a stronger, more confident Entente goes ahead with one of the really hare-brained plans for an offensive that got shot own in OTL, like Fischer's Baltic Plan.

Have to agree there; the Entente has a big boost compared to OTL, but it's not outside the realm of possibility of that a stronger, more confident Entente goes ahead with one of the really hare-brained plans for an offensive that got shot own in OTL, like Fischer's Baltic Plan.

This is true. Also, what does Ottoman neutrality mean for Bulgarian and Greek entry into the war?

This is true. Also, what does Ottoman neutrality mean for Bulgarian and Greek entry into the war?
Without the opportunity to gain land, Greece would stay neutral, but Bulgaria would probably still attack Serbia. With the OE neutral, Egypt and Sudan would remain in Empire hands following the war, and probably a deal would be struck to return those lands from British mandate.

Without the opportunity to gain land, Greece would stay neutral, but Bulgaria would probably still attack Serbia. With the OE neutral, Egypt and Sudan would remain in Empire hands following the war, and probably a deal would be struck to return those lands from British mandate.

Then the Entente still loses out in the Balkans, but the Russians won't have a Caucasus front either.

With the OE neutral, Egypt and Sudan would remain in Empire hands following the war, and probably a deal would be struck to return those lands from British mandate.

I really don't see that happening. One, for all practicable purposes Egypt had been independent from the Ottomans for over fifty years. Two, there is no way the British are going to allow any other nation to have any control over the Suez canal after they've already stationed troops there. Three, the Battle of Omdurman has already happened, the British have cemented control of the Sudan under the umbrella of Egypt and Lord Kitchner is still a powerful figure in the UK. Snowballs have better chances of surviving Hell then the OE has of getting Egypt and Sudan for just staying neutral. They're not going to get it even if they join the war on the Entente's side.

They'd still be the "sick man of Europe." Empire couldn't hold together for much longer, Arabs are bound to break away at some point. Here's how I covered it, but the exact timeline could be different. The Zionist movement might have sought some sort of accommodation with the Ottomans, or cooperated with the Arabs against them. Could expect the British to be looking for a foothold by using some faction or another as clients.

I think this is a great question. I would assume that about the Ottoman army would be a third smaller, 22 divisions instead of 36, and they would gain, or at least go for the land on the large map below.

I think they would try to occupy as much as possible, but I would have no idea how successful they would be.

map-ottoman-empire-modern.png

map-ottoman-empire-modern.png