Nineteen Twenty-Four: The Rise of the Progressives

August 6th, 1915
Ford Completes 1 Millionth Model T
The Ford Motor Company built its one millionth Model T. The all brown car ....
IOTL Ford painted the Model T black for no other reason than the color dried faster than the others available at the time. Maybe he found a quick-drying brown paint?

He also required his engine manufacturers to ship the engines in high-quality wooden crates which were carefully disassembled and used to make the floorboards. Crafty fellow, Henry Ford.

IOTL Ford painted the Model T black for no other reason than the color dried faster than the others available at the time. Maybe he found a quick-drying brown paint?

He also required his engine manufacturers to ship the engines in high-quality wooden crates which were carefully disassembled and used to make the floorboards. Crafty fellow, Henry Ford.

He developed a quicker drying brown paint. The brown helps mask the dust from the roads. The Lincoln Highway is nearing completion, but that's only one mostly two-lane road compared to the hundreds of thousands of miles of dusty, muddy dirt roads.

He also used the wood scraps to make charcoal (Kingsford brand).

He really was crafty; he certainly still has a part to play.

Hmm. I wonder how much land America is going to annex from Mexico this time…

Also, arsonist Rudolph Hess and sharpshooter Teddy Roosevelt. Hell yes!

Hmm. I wonder how much land America is going to annex from Mexico this time…

Also, arsonist Rudolph Hess and sharpshooter Teddy Roosevelt. Hell yes!

The United States' and Mexico's borders will not remain the same.

That is but a taste of what I have planned for this wacky world. I'm not going for anything like ASB, but there will be some more funny, ironic, etc. moments.

This is one of the uniquest "timeline" TLs out there!

Thanks! I have more things planned.

I'll have a short update tonight. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring some of my materials (mainly senate election stuff) back from my apartment, so I won't get to the election until sometime next week.

EDIT: I'm hoping to have more regular updates through the end of September, which is when I have to go back to school full time.

Last edited:
10: Slogging through 'Sixteen

Author’s note: I realized that I never made it clear that the Entente (minus Russia) declared war on Mexico. It should be assumed that they did so shortly after the American declarations of war in February.

March 3rd, 1916
Skirmish at Chetumal
British colonial troops from British Honduras near Chetumal, Mexico, but withdrew awaiting reinforcements from the Caribbean.

March 14th to March 19th, 1916
Amphibious Attacks on Baja California
American Marines stormed southern Baja California and captured two of the major towns of the region, Loreto and Cabo San Lucas. La Paz was taken five days later, securing the peninsula for the Americans. However, the relatively poor state of the American army would mean that any further progress would be hard to come by until more troops could be trained and equipped.

March 24th, 1916
Mexico effectively Blockaded
The capture of the Baja Peninsula combined with British and French control over much of the Caribbean meant that even the small US Navy, with some British support, could prevent German ships from reaching Mexico and vice-versa. Japanese ships would help tighten the blockade, especially on the Pacific coast. By the end of April, only limited shipping was able to take place in the Bay of Campeche.

April 4th, 1916
Walton wins in New Mexico
William Walton, the appointed Democrat, won the special election for New Mexico’s Class One Senate seat. The seat had become vacant after a train crash killed Thomas Catron and Missouri Senator William J. Stone. Walton defeated Republican Holm Bursum and Progressive Washington Lindsey and will remain in office until March 4th, 1917, unless he is elected to a full term in November. Stone’s former seat will continue to be occupied by Xenophon P. Wilfley until November, when a special election will be held.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
April 4th to April 26th, 1916
Boers defeated at Cape Town; Retreat North and Join with Germans
The Boer rebels were driven out of Cape Town by British forces who forced the Boers to retreat to the North where they made another stand at Piketberg. Although their attempts to fend off the British at Piketberg were mostly unsuccessful, the Boers bought enough time to retreat in a more orderly fashion and for the guerillas who had remained behind British lines to rejoin their fellow Boers. By the end of April, the Boers had retreated to Springbokfontein where they met with German troops under Victor Franke.

April 24th, 1916
Louis Brandeis Confirmed as Supreme Court Justice
Louis Brandeis was confirmed in a close vote to replace Joseph Rucker Lamar in the United States Supreme Court. Brandeis is thought to have been chosen by President Wilson as an effort to improve labor relations (which had soured after the Ludlow Massacre) ahead of the presidential election to be held this November. His nomination was heavily opposed by most Senate Republicans, with the notable exception of Robert La Follette, Sr.

April 25th to April 30th, 1916
Easter Rebellion
Irish nationalists revolted against the British in the largest Irish rebellion in over a century. The rebels were quickly overthrown and the few leaders that survived the rebellion itself were executed by the end of May. While the rebellion itself was a failure, the British brutality would only serve to increase support for an Irish republic.

Last edited:
News

I had forgotten to add in the results of the New Mexico special election; those have now been added to the previous post. I hope to have another update sometime this weekend.

End

I have decided to quit writing this timeline. I still like the general idea, but writing about all of the details and trying to keep track of everything in the war was just a pain. However, I will be incorporating elements from it (along with the list of presidents that I had planned) into a new timeline.

I have decided to quit writing this timeline. I still like the general idea, but writing about all of the details and trying to keep track of everything in the war was just a pain. However, I will be incorporating elements from it (along with the list of presidents that I had planned) into a new timeline.

Sorry to see this end. But it will be interesting to see where you take your next one :).

Best of luck on the new timeline, I'll be there to read it when you do release it.

I totally get you...:)

Final Words on this TL

Sorry to see this end. But it will be interesting to see where you take your next one :).

Thanks! The first half of the first update will be quite familiar.

Best of luck on the new timeline, I'll be there to read it when you do release it.

Thanks! The first chapter is almost ready.

I totally get you...:)

Yeah; it just wasn't fun to write. It was interesting to read about, but it was tedious to try to keep track of every major battle on four major fronts.

And on that note, here is my new timeline: https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=321307