Nice Reference Site(s)

Thande

Donor
Interesting map of potential nuclear targets in the US--not sure how accurate it is...

nuclear-USSR-what-if1.gif

Thande

Donor
Ah, that's very useful! Is there one for Europe, China and the USSR?

Not to my knowledge I'm afraid. I did once transfer a list of suspected Soviet nuclear targets in the UK to a map though. Memo to self, in the event of a nuclear war, avoid Lincolnshire (it's all the airbases). TURNSTILE (also known by other code names) is the UK alternative seat of government in a bunker complex under Wiltshire.

attachment.php

Can you find one for central Europe (both western and eastern parts of it) ?

I desperately need something like that for my Protect and Survive spinoff involving Czechoslovakia.

Not to my knowledge I'm afraid. I did once transfer a list of suspected Soviet nuclear targets in the UK to a map though. Memo to self, in the event of a nuclear war, avoid Lincolnshire (it's all the airbases). TURNSTILE (also known by other code names) is the UK alternative seat of government in a bunker complex under Wiltshire.

Aw man, that ain't right. I'M FROM LINCOLNSHIRE.

Thande

Donor
Sweet looking map, Thande. Where did you find it?
The first one just through google image search; the second one I made myself.

Can you find one for central Europe (both western and eastern parts of it) ?

I desperately need something like that for my Protect and Survive spinoff involving Czechoslovakia.

Unfortunately I don't think there was ever a definitive list for that. It would depend on the type of WW3 for instance. One example which would affect Czechoslovakia (but probably not anything like what would happen in P&S) is the British late 1960s plan for preventive nuclear warfare to halt Soviet conventional attacks on Western Europe while trying to prevent an escalation:
nuclear-war-prevent.jpg

Unfortunately I don't think there was ever a definitive list for that. It would depend on the type of WW3 for instance. One example which would affect Czechoslovakia (but probably not anything like what would happen in P&S) is the British late 1960s plan for preventive nuclear warfare to halt Soviet conventional attacks on Western Europe while trying to prevent an escalation:

Thanks anyway. :) My preliminary list is guesswork as well and concrete info is hard to come by even now, when most Cold War civil defence stuff has been declassified.

Thande

Donor
A crudely recoloured map I made of Chinese viceroyalties (Chinese viceroys or 'Zongdu' are also known as governors-general in some sources) based on the map of Qing provinces given above. I'm not 100% certain on all the information here as some sources give conflicting info, so do speak up if you know better.

Qing_Dynasty_1820.png

Qing_Dynasty_1820 2.png

Interesting map of potential nuclear targets in the US--not sure how accurate it is...

some picks are probably rather random, because i would expect that the missile farms on the Wy/Ne border/Mt and Nd also would be a target in a limited exchange (seems like logical target for a soviet megaton warhead). Especially in a soviet first strike scenario.

On that nuclear note, has anyone ever seen a target list for Canada?

PS: One thing that jumps out at me about the US map is why nothing aimed at the Sioux Locks? It might have something to do with being right on the border, but it's a not insignificant bit of infrastructure that could be put out of commission very easily, and seems more worthwhile than a lot of the urban centre overkill, especially in a 2,000 warhead scenario.

Thande

Donor
Good Lord, that projection makes the USSR look terrifyingly close.

Well, it was. The style of map they use on the UN flag also makes it clear--there are maps in the Times Atlas of World History showing how both sides' missiles would have arced over the North Pole to strike each other in the event of nuclear war. It's not at all clear how close the US/Canada and USSR are on a traditional map, and the missile trails over the North Pole look rather distorted on those, as seen in WarGames for instance.

WarGames-1.png