New Horizons

OBAMA: IT'S NOT MY TIME
February 10th, 2007, CNN.com

xinsrc_092080522133773424351.jpg

Illinois Senator Barack Obama ended speculation today over a potential presidential run in 2008 by stating his intention not to seek the Democratic nomination for President. "I've considered my options carefully, and I've come to the conclusion that this is not my time to run for President of the United States," Obama stated in an MSNBC interview aired this morning. "As for any future runs, I won't rule anything out." Obama has been the subject of speculation ever since his prime time speech at the Democratic National Convention in 2004, where he gave the keynote address. Announced candidates for the Democratic nomination include Delaware Senator Joe Biden, former First Lady and New York Senator Hillary Clinton, Connecticut Senator Chris Dodd, 2004 vice presidential candidate and former North Carolina Senator John Edwards, former Alaska Senator Mike Gravel, Ohio Congressman Dennis Kucinich, New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson, and former Iowa Governor Tom Vilsack. Currently Hillary Clinton maintains a double-digit lead in national and state-by-state polls over John Edwards and the rest of the candidates.

Last edited:
FEINGOLD ENTERS THE FRAY
March 1st, 2007, MSNBC.com

4d288e7b1c0f2.image.jpg

Senator Russ Feingold of Wisconsin officially entered the presidential race when he announced his candidacy at a rally at the University of Wisconsin - Madison to a crowd of nearly 2,000 ecstatic supporters. Despite his statement in November last year that he would not seek the Democratic nomination in 2008, many speculate that Illinois Senator Barack Obama's decision not to run influenced Feingold to change his mind about running. "We've spent seven years fighting a costly, illegal war with no end in sight, pandered to the wealthy few with unnecessary and unfair tax cuts, and experiencing increasing economic hardship under the leadership of the current administration. We need a strong progressive in the White House to put the country back on the track to peace, prosperity, and progress. That's why I've decided to run for President of the United States," Feingold said to the rally crowd, slamming President Bush immediately for Iraq, the 2003 tax cuts, and increasing fears of a recession brought on by the housing bubble. Initial polling indicates Feingold is in the single digits, well behind frontrunner Hillary Clinton and other better known contenders such as John Edwards.

POLLS SHOW CLINTON, GIULIANI LEADING DEM AND GOP PACKS
April 16th, 2007, POLITICO

hillary_clinton_021809.jpg
rudy_guiliani-300x300.jpg

The latest Gallup poll released Monday shows New York Senator Hillary Clinton with a double-digit lead in the race for the Democratic presidential nomination, well ahead of former North Carolina Senator John Edwards and recent entrant Russ Feingold. Edwards is the only other candidate polling in the double digits, hovering at 18 percent. Feingold trails with 9 percent, followed by former Iowa Governor Tom Vilsack at 6 percent. Rounding out the bottom tier are Connecticut Senator Chris Dodd and New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson at 4 percent each, followed by Delaware Senator Joe Biden at 3 percent and former Alaska Senator Mike Gravel at 2 percent. 13 percent of registered Democratic voters have not indicated support for the listed candidates, preferring minor candidates or are simply undecided.

Hillary Clinton: 41%
John Edwards:
18%
Russ Feingold:
9%
Tom Vilsack:
6%
Chris Dodd:
4% l Bill Richardson: 4%
Joe Biden:
3%
Mike Gravel:
2%
Undecided/Other:
13%

On the Republican side, former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani holds a narrow lead over former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney and Tennessee Senator Fred Thompson, polling at 24 percent, 20 percent, and 18 percent, respectively. Former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee is the only other candidate polling in the double digits, pulling in 11 percent of registered Republican voters.

Rudy Giuliani: 24%
Mitt Romney: 20%
Fred Thompson: 18%
Mike Huckabee: 11%
Sam Brownback: 7%
John McCain: 6%
Tom Tancredo: 2% l Ron Paul: 2%
Undecided/Other: 10%

Last edited:
I will get an update most likely tonight covering summer '07, so the timeline can move at a faster pace to the exciting phase of the 2008 campaign. :)

Who will win the first Democratic debate? The pundits called it for Obama after his joke to Gravel about "not nuking anyone right now".
Will the pundits still declare Guliani the winner after his criticism of Ron Paul? (Will the media ignore the votes declaring Paul the winner- or the endorsement of Paul by Michael Scheuer the next day?)

GOP DEBATE: SO CLOSE TOGETHER, YET SO FAR APART
May 4th, 2007, POLITICO.com

03debate-600.jpg

The first Republican presidential debate of the 2008 campaign proved to be fairly consistent in the opinions voiced by the ten candidates who participated. The stage at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in California was heated and tense; the rhetoric spouted on Iraq was rigid and immovable, as everyone supported the war effort to a strong degree; however Arizona Senator John McCain took a stand against the Bush administration, criticizing the handling of the war. "The initial invasion was terribly mismanaged due to lack of foresight and planning. But I think we are now on the right track to making Iraq a stable democracy in the Middle East," McCain stated. McCain is running his second presidential campaign, after losing to then-Governor George Bush in the Republican primaries in 2000.

In contrast to concurring opinion on Iraq, the debate on abortion took an even sharper divide. Much of the attention was focused on New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani's refusal to back an overturning of Roe v Wade, drawing major fire from the more conservative candidates. "How can you call yourself a conservative when you can't even commit to the protection of the unborn?" charged Kansas Governor Sam Brownback. "We need a nominee who is consistent with the views of the Republican Party, and you are not that person, Mayor." While the moderator did have to ask Brownback to refrain from speaking out of turn, he did draw significant applause from the debate crowd.

The results of the debate are interesting: the candidates are effectively united behind President Bush's foreign and economic policies, yet show cracks in their supposed consensus on culture war issues. Will Giuliani continue to draw ire from conservatives, and lose his frontrunner status?

GALLUP: PRESIDENTIAL APPROVAL RATING, GOP PRIMARY POLLING
June 11th, 2007, AP Newswire

george-bush_0.jpg

Two new polls released Monday morning by Gallup indicated changes in President George W. Bush's approval rating and the race for the Republican presidential nomination in 2008. The President's approval rating took a hit after suffering a defeat when the Senate voted to reject cloture on the Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act, which Bush strongly supported. Only 32 percent of Americans approve of the President, down from 35 percent last week; 65 percent disapprove, up from 62 percent last week; 3 percent of those polled voiced no opinion.

Meanwhile the Republican primary race indicated major shifts in support for the candidates. Rudy Giuliani has lost his coveted frontrunner status following heavy criticism from conservative opponents over his abortion stance at last month's debate in California, and is currently tied with Mitt Romney with 19 percent apiece. Support for Sam Brownback has surged in the past month as the conservative base seeks out a suitable candidate, at the expense of Fred Thompson and Mike Huckabee. Brownback has won acclaim the base for his fiery and aggressive attack on Giuliani's abortion stance at the California debate, and is within striking range of frontrunner status.

Rudy Giuliani: 19% l Mitt Romney: 19%
Sam Brownback: 16%
Fred Thompson: 15%
Mike Huckabee: 10%
John McCain: 8%
Ron Paul: 2%
Tom Tancredo: 1%
Undecided/Other: 10%

FEINGOLD: PATRIOT ACT UN-AMERICAN
July 8th, 2007, CNN.com

ds_17061_exclusive1_v6.jpg

Wisconsin Senator and Democratic presidential candidate Russ Feingold criticized the PATRIOT Act on NBC's Meet the Press yesterday, labeling the anti-terrorism legislation as "an un-American act that does so little to effectively fight terrorism, and so much to restrict the civil liberties of Americans". Feingold earned national attention in the aftermath of the September 11th attacks as the sole U.S. Senator to vote against the PATRIOT Act, which granted sweeping powers for law enforcement and intelligence to fight suspected terrorism on American soil. In the NBC interview, Feingold voiced particularly harsh criticism for President Bush's authorization of widespread wiretapping, which he called "a blatantly illegal invasion of Americans' right to privacy". Recent polls have shown an uprising in support for the Wisconsin senator, particularly among grassroots progressives who find candidates such as Hillary Clinton as too close to the Washington establishment.

Last edited:
Comments, criticism, suggestions regarding the last update?

Very solid work and very believable, definitely my favorite TL (that I'm currently reading on the site ... which is among like 4 or so).

I do want Hillary in 2008, though and I demand she win! :p

Can't wait for this to come out of hiatus! This is a very interesting timeline, thus far. I eagerly await seeing who will win in the Primaries. :)