Muslim Balkanisation in the Balkans, 1800+

Grey Wolf

Donor
I am looking to do is to have the Balkans be, er, Balkanised by MUSLIM entities split off from the Ottomans, but acknowledging a vague relationship of suzerainty, like Algiers, Tunis, Tripoli and Egypt are doing in Africa. This can be mixed with Montenegro, of whatever size, and Ragusa.

There were in OTL quite a few governors [sic] who became de facto independent rulers at the start of the 19th century - Ali of Janina is probably the most famous, but there were several contemporaneous to him.

I am looking to do is to have the Balkans be, er, Balkanised by MUSLIM entities split off from the Ottomans, but acknowledging a vague relationship of suzerainty, like Algiers, Tunis, Tripoli and Egypt are doing in Africa. This can be mixed with Montenegro, of whatever size, and Ragusa.

There were in OTL quite a few governors [sic] who became de facto independent rulers at the start of the 19th century - Ali of Janina is probably the most famous, but there were several contemporaneous to him.

It can happen but I can't see them lasting very long. If Serbia is independent, why would they accept a Muslim overlord?

Grey Wolf

Donor
It can happen but I can't see them lasting very long. If Serbia is independent, why would they accept a Muslim overlord?

Well, Serbia's independence was hardly a given. I remember studying at uni, which is a long time ago now, but am pretty sure Kara George pretty much lost first time around.

Well, Serbia's independence was hardly a given. I remember studying at uni, which is a long time ago now, but am pretty sure Kara George pretty much lost first time around.

Had Revolutionary Serbia accepted the terms of Ičko's Peace without the wormtongue that was Russia promising full independence rather than de facto independence, Karađorđe and co. would've 'won' in 1806/07. Being convinced to renegade on those terms, and join the Russians in their war (to be used as cannon fodder), was what ultimately brought their downfall, leading to tired forces, and a tiring of Karađorđe and his post-1807 shadow revolutionary government.

And even with his failure, the Ottomans just made things worse by enacting retribution within the region, inspiring the unsuccessful rebellion of Hadži-Prodan and the successful Second Serbian Uprising.

To avoid Serbia even doing anything to rebel against local administration of any sorts, you have to maintain the status quo of 1793 to 1799/1801, before the Dahije began to terrorize the Sanjak of Smederevo. Either don't allow those janissary corps to return to the sanjak, or avoid Hadji Mustafa Şinikoğlu Pasha's assassination in a way that makes him find out they were involved, leading him to organize a force to bring justice and restore order, with the help of the Serbs. Maybe even do something about Osman Pazvantoğlu, since he was affiliated with the Dahije and was similarly pardoned by the Sultan's decree as them by 1799.

Grey Wolf

Donor
I suppose the question is how to break them off but not bring them back? Egypt might be an example - first the Mamelukes, then Mohammed Ali and his successors, still acknowledging Ottoman suzerainty but independent in many ways.

Longevity and successful succession? Ali Pasha of Janina managing to hand over to one of his sons? Perhaps he dies a bit earlier while his realm is still strong and his son makes good on the succession?

Bosnia-Hercegovina seeing the rebel Muslim ruler become semi-leigimised, and then being succeeded?

In OTL of course the Ottomans were happy to hand the Morea over to Egypt, or at least to Ibrahim, if they helped defeat the Greek uprising, so that could be another route? It could be like a sub-kingdom of Egypt in that it is ruled by the heir all the time, so when the heir becomes ruler of Egypt their heir then becomes ruler of the Morea?

Bosnia-Hercegovina seeing the rebel Muslim ruler become semi-leigimised, and then being succeeded?

Assuming a scenario where Hadji Mustafa Şinikoğlu Pasha not only lives, but brings justice to the Dahije (and potentially Pazvantoğlu), you've taken some of the steam out of the revolt that Husein Gradaščević did OTL. Of course, the main cause of the revolt was the proposed Tanzimat reforms, since local aristocrats and Janissaries stood much to lose.

Assuming a scenario akin to OTL, even if Gradaščević succeeded in his plans of an autonomous Bosnia Eyalet (perhaps being pardoned in the same way Osman Pazvantoğlu was, having even been named a pasha in the Rumelia Eyalet), if the proposed Tanzimat reforms went as proceeded, the Sultan would've turned his eyes to Husein such as they were turned to Ali Pasha, since this balkanisation stood opposite of the goal of a centralizing government (which Hadji Mustafa stood for, effectively).

Honestly, if there's something I really want to figure out, is the OTL chronology of Rumelian Beylerbeys - Hadji Mustafa had been named Vizier of the Sanjak of Smederevo (aka the Pashalik of Belgrade) in July 1793, and was later named Beyleybey of the Rumelia Eyalet in the summer of 1797. Ali Pasha, alongside his Pashalik of Yanina, was apparently named Beylerbey of Rumelia on two occasions, in 1802 and 1804, based on the source used on Wikipedia. Wikipedia has a massive gap in terms of who comes before and after Hadji Mustafa, with Ahmed Kamil Paşazade Hakkı Paşa (son of Vezir Hakkı Mehmed Pasha?) supposedly being the Rumeli vali in January 1796, according to the footnote placed. And even if we managed to identify who came to power when, apparently, the title of beylerbey of Rumelia was also apparently being awarded as an honorific rank by the end of the 17th century, alongside the actual holder of the provincial post (who may or may not be referred to as vali), even to officials unrelated to the provincial administration, such as the chief treasurer.

Last edited:
Actually, I kept on thinking "what might assist in this process you would want to achieve, something that goes against the Tanzimat?", and I realized - Mustafa IV. So, if I may propose a preliminary timeline:

* early 1797 - the military expedition of Hüseyin Küçük Pasha succeeds at conquering the Pashalik of Vidin, but fails to capture Osman Pazvantoğlu
** Prince of Wallachia Constantine Hangerli remains in power and doesn't get executed, as Küçük doesn't use him as a scapegoat for his failings OTL - make of that what you will
* summer of 1797 - Hadji Mustafa Pasha is appointed beyleybey of Rumelia Eyalet, and leaves the Sanjak of Smederevo for Plovdiv, to assist Küçük against Pazvantoğlu
* by early 1798 - the forces of Mustafa, Küçük, and the locals (Serbs, Bulgarians, etc.) defeat the fleeing Pazvantoğlu and his Janissary allies (including the OTL Dahije)
** for his efforts, Hadji Mustafa Pasha, alongside being the Smederevo Vizier, is maintained as beyleybey/vali for his exemplary work against the rebel forces
** Pazvantoğlu is likely executed, possibly the same for the Janissaries that helped him, getting liquidated
* Peace is restored in Rumelia Eyalet - the Serbs find rule under Hadji Mustafa rather acceptable, Hadji Mustafa remains a close collaborator with Selim III, continues centralization efforts
** elsewhere in Ottoman Balkans, eyes are locked on what's going on - Ali Pasha, the aristocrats of the Bosnia Eyalet, whoever is in the Silistra Eyalet, those in the Romanian principalities - Selim III is attempting to centralize authority, and reform the military
** meanwhile, the Napoleonic Wars happen as OTL
* 1806 - as per OTL, perhaps even emboldened by TTL developments, the Russo-Turkish War begins
* 1807 - the beginning of the Ottoman palace coups OTL
** Selim III is deposed by Janissaries led by Kabakçı Mustafa, replaced by his cousin, the newly named sultan Mustafa IV
** Kabakçı Mustafa is de facto ruler of Istanbul, Grand Vizier Keçiboynuzu İbrahim Hilmi Pasha is replaced with Çelebi Mustafa Pasha
** perhaps beyleybey Hadji Mustafa Pasha's rule indirectly led to Kabakçı Mustafa having greater forces TTL?
* Rusçuk derebey Alemdar Mustafa's counter revolt in 1808 is subverted - Alemdar, Çelebi and compatriots are killed, Selim III and OTL Mahmud II are murdered - Kabakçı and Mustafa remain unopposed in the capital
** Kabakçı Mustafa is named Grand Vizier, with deputy (sadaret) Köse Musa Pasha, the district governor in Istanbul
* Brief respite in the war with Russia due to the Treaty of Tilsit
* Status update on the Balkans:
** Silistra Eyalet and the Romanian Principalities: war frontier, occupied (directly/indirectly) - Scarlat Callimachi (Moldavia) supposedly stood alongside Selim
** Rumelia Eyalet: most likely under beyleybey Hadji Mustafa Pasha if he maintained his usefulness to Selim III, if not then someone akin to him; likely opposed to what happened in Istanbul
** Bosnia Eyalet: sigh of relief upon hearing what happened in Istanbul, İbrahim Hilmi Pasha is named the Bosnia vali by the Sultan in December 1807, with the banner of Herzegovina attached
** Pashalik of Yanina: Ali Pasha is very cautious, but intrigued by the happenings in Istanbul
** Morea Eyalet: I don't know...
* War continues with Russia later in 1808 - Mustafa IV and Kabakçı Mustafa try to figure out what to do with the Russians coming
* Mustafa IV sends out an ambassador to France to maintain their alliance (as per OTL)
* Ali Pasha tries to look towards the British (as per OTL)

Now, whether Hüseyin Küçük could've taken Vidin, I don't know, but this set of events seems convenient in permitting that Muslim Balkanisation you so wish. I'd suggest doing a lot more research, figuring out what parties are involved where (Hurshid Pasha and Ibrahim Bushat Pasha, as examples), checking many sources, identifying how titles functioned, were handed, and what the hierarchies are, if you really want to try and execute your ideas.

Last edited: