Most Badass Plane of WW2

Imo, it's got to be the P-47. Definition of bad ass has to be the guy who can take on all comers with both capability and confidence. The Jug has massive firepower, speed, range, sufficient agility and in bubble marks visibility and superb crew protection.

One thing the P-47 had over the P-51? The R-2800 engine. That engine was so well designed and reliable that it could take punishment and still bring the aircraft home. If a P-51 took an engine hit? The pilot either went skydiving or went in with the aircraft.

The R-2800 was also on the F6F, F4U, and the P-61.

When saying "Badass" it to me indicates something about perception and not necessarily capacity.

In this context I'm not in doubt that the "Price" must go to Ju87 StuKa. No other plane made as big an impression and it to a large degree has become THE symbol of WWII, even the sound of it has its own iconic status. Like if somebody in a few second has to illustrate WWII you will most likely see a clip of StuKas going into a dive and hear the sounds of their sirens.

This is IMHO not changed by the StuKa's weaknesses showing up soon, any plane or piece of equipment will reveal weaknesses as development goes on. But the StuKa before that achieved to be seen as the main contributor to Germany's stunning victories from 1939-41.

You will of course not need much knowledge to know that it was more complicated than that, but if you asked a Polish refugee, a French Poilou or a British sailor they would be very likely to elevate the StuKa into something very "Badass".

Exactly, much better explained than my nomination.
And for its role, looking a bit like a vulture isn't hurting at all.

And as was written a while back, the Me-262. Must be so spooky being up against something that's completely different tech and outclasses you.

Beyond the obvious choices here. There is a converted airliner that played the role of cargo, transport and bomber. A bit of everything except that of a fighter. Eventually becoming one of the most awesome ground attack airc
Z
raft. The humble Douglas C-47 Dakota.

I first thought you menat the Tante JU (JU 52 :D)

The Sturmovik is the most badass because not only was it functionally superior to the Stuka, but it also often had a tailgunner who was from the penal battalions. The pilot had a parachute and a nice armored cockpit but the gunner had only his machine gun to defend himself.

The Sturmovik is the most badass because not only was it functionally superior to the Stuka, but it also often had a tailgunner who was from the penal battalions. The pilot had a parachute and a nice armored cockpit but the gunner had only his machine gun to defend himself.

It also died a lot more than just about any other aircraft in WWII.

It was a case of Awesome but Impractical, not as much so as the Me 163, but still not really practical given the brief life of the engine, and the shortage of fuel.

First off damn you for linking to Tv Tropes as I needed to get stuff done today. Second off i'll take the B-17 for 500 Alex. Nothing in the war could take more punishment and still bring the crew back home.

First off damn you for linking to Tv Tropes as I needed to get stuff done today. Second off i'll take the B-17 for 500 Alex. Nothing in the war could take more punishment and still bring the crew back home.
I'll second the vote for the B-17, but I'm taking it a step further.

Proved to be totally worthless in actual combat, but for sheer awesomness, I've got to go with the gunship version of the B-17, the YB-40.

First, you take the already awesome and indestructible frame of the B-17. Get rid of all that silly bomb carrying stuff.
Then, you slap on more .50cal turrets, loading the thing up with: "...18 (or more) × .50 in (12.7 mm) Browning M2 machine guns."

A B-17, looking like a friggen porcupine of death is about the most badass thing I can image. :cool:

yb-40_zps810dae07.jpg~original

Wellington-bomber-fire-damage-595x301.jpg

'Zoaka' brought her crew home from Bremen with damaged wireless, rudder and flaps, no navigational equipment and looking like that.

Stuka is the most badass because it was angular, ugly and scared the bejesus out its opponents.
The only other airplane half as ugly was its stable-mate, the Junkers Tri-Motor which railed scary Fallschirmjagers onto defenders cowering in their fortresses.

Thunderbolt or Corsair. Big, heavy, fast radial engined monsters that could take it on the chin and had no problems dishing it out.