Monarchy in Czechoslovakia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any way that a monarchy could be put in Czechoslovakia after WW1 and be able to keep it? Also, once Czechoslovakia breaks up, what would the name be of the two countries and who would keep the monarchy in that event?

The reason i ask is because i hear that there is a lot of monarchists in the Czech parliament and it got me thinking.

I really doubt it. Given the lack of a surviving native Czechoslovak royal family. Although props for originality.

I really doubt it. Given the lack of a surviving native Czechoslovak royal family. Although props for originality.

Thanks. What is original, if you dont mind answering?

Any native Czech aristrocratic family, surviving members of the old Bohemian royal family?

Thanks. What is original, if you dont mind answering?

Any native Czech aristrocratic family, surviving members of the old Bohemian royal family?
There always were some Czeck but also Slovak aristocratic families even if not surviving royal family. But, hey, you need to start somewhere. Today royal families were not always roayal. Look at Jean Bernadotte, king of Sweden. I am not even sure, if he was from aristocratic family.

Slightly off the wall, but how about Crown Prince Rupert of Bavaria.

The downside -- possibly fatal, but might not be if his candidacy is delayed for a year or two -- is that he was a German. The upsides are that he was an able and honorable man, that having a German monarch might help with integrating areas with substantial German populations, and that he had an actual, if disputed, claim to the Bohemian throne as the heir of Frederick the Winter king.

The Dutch and Belgian lower houses were very low on male members; I'd say those are out.

That's an understatement. Between 1890 and 1967 there weren't any male members of the House of Orange-Nassau. THere weren't very many women either. Queen Wilhemina and her daughter (& heir) Princess Juliana were the only two members of the House in 1919.

Well he's also King of the Slovaks, he just calls the area where they live Upper Hungary. But I agree it would be a bad idea. It would probably just be King X of the Czechs and Slovaks, Prince of Schwarzenburg, Duke of Krumlov, and Margrave of Moravia.

How about:

By the Grace of God, Charles IV, King of Bohemia and of Slovakia, Prince of Schwarzenburg, Duke of Krumlov, and Margrave of Moravia?

Sorry for the necro, but this is interesting. :D

Fun fact : Štefánik was at first a keen supporter of the idea of a post-WWI Slovak monarchy with some royal figurehead from abroad as head of state (similar to what the Finns and Lithuanians wanted to pull off). However, in the second half of the war, he abandoned the idea and embraced the Czechoslovak concept.

I like the suggestions given so far, including the rulers of Bulgarian and Bavarian Royal family as rulers of Czechoslovakia. However, the Schwarzenbergs ruling as Czech kings would probably result in their first Charles being called "Charles V" instead of "Charles IV", in order to not be confused with Charles IV. of House Luxembourg, the Czech king from the 14th century.

My suggestion : Maybe the successor state could offer refuge to Karl and Zita Habsburg after they were kicked out of both Austria and Hungary ? :D Maybe Karl decides to not tempt fate one last time and retires to Czechoslovakia as its new ruler, instead of trying yet another futile attempt at retaking the Hungarian throne ? Ergo, he doesn't end up on Madeira and maybe doesn't die as soon as in OTL. ;) Just a wackier idea.

Incidentally, there was a recent Czech allohistorical mockumentary about Czechoslovakia becoming a monarchy in the interwar period. Their choice of monarch was really weird and not all to plausible, though : One of the younger members of the British royal family (I forgot which).

My suggestion : Maybe the successor state could offer refuge to Karl and Zita Habsburg after they were kicked out of both Austria and Hungary ? :D Maybe Karl decides to not tempt fate one last time and retires to Czechoslovakia as its new ruler, instead of trying yet another futile attempt at retaking the Hungarian throne ? Ergo, he doesn't end up on Madeira and maybe doesn't die as soon as in OTL. ;) Just a wackier idea.
Well Habsburgs were not so popular after WWI ended. They could be probably accepted in Slovakia, but in Czech lands it could prove to be difficult. Masaryk will need suddenly change his anti Habsburg propaganda to pro Habsburg one. Basically in that case even defending Czech and Slovak territorial disputes again Germans, Hungarians and Poles could prove difficult. Also what about Karl federalization attempts from October 1918? How would it look in Paris, London and Washington, if Czechs and Slovaks first refused Karl proposals, didn't even try to work out some deal and later offered him the throne?

Hmm if we're pondering Habsburgs why not Franz Ferdinand's son Maximilian his mother was Czech, iirc he spent a fair amount of time in the country growing up, and as added bonus hes barred from the Austrian line of succession which should prevent the remote possibility of an awkward situation down the line if ever the monarch should be revived in that country.
On the down side hes young 16 or so in 1918 and well hes a Habsburgs even if not one in name.

Hmm if we're pondering Habsburgs why not Franz Ferdinand's son Maximilian his mother was Czech, iirc he spent a fair amount of time in the country growing up, and as added bonus hes barred from the Austrian line of succession which should prevent the remote possibility of an awkward situation down the line if ever the monarch should be revived in that country. On the down side hes young 16 or so in 1918 and well hes a Habsburgs even if not one in name.

That's a fascinating iea, haven't thought of that one ! :)

But yeah, he would probably be seen as too young - and therefore not too fit to rule in the problematic post-war years that lay ahead.

I plan on having a Monarchial Czechoslovakia in my TL, ruled by a branch of the House of Hohernzollern, is a situation where A-H collapses (CP Victory Scenario), could the Germans come in and install a member of the House of a Hohernzollern on a newly created Czechoslovakian throne?

I plan on having a Monarchial Czechoslovakia in my TL, ruled by a branch of the House of Hohernzollern, is a situation where A-H collapses (CP Victory Scenario), could the Germans come in and install a member of the House of a Hohernzollern on a newly created Czechoslovakian throne?
Maybe on Czech throne, but you have to find reason, why would Germans go to conflict with Hungary over Upper Hungarian which is today Slovakia. As it is, huge number of Slovak served in A-H army but even with creation of Czechoslovakia there was not huge amount of volunteers for war against Hungary at the time. People were tiered with war and as such wanted just to return to their farms amd go on with theirs life.

Hey there, sorry for resurrecting this old thing but this is a very interesting subject :) Made a map and arms for a possible Romanov Czechoslovakia. The map is a true work of fiction but the arms are plausible.
It's based on some Russian propaganda during WWI in Czechia. Leaflets with the following were distributed:
"Czechs and Moravians!
We, the Tzar of the great Slav empire come with actions. We shall free you from under the German boot for you are the star of the western Slavs, the home of culture and prosperity. I shall not forget that to the renowned and famous Czech Kingdom belongs not only upper and lower Lusatia but also the poor and downtrodden Hungarian Slavia.
Tzar Nicholas II. "

Here's the map based on that :)
romanov_czechoslovakia_by_soaringaven-d83vnqq.png

Realpolitik

Banned
There is no Czech royal line in 1918. All the local royal families are German, and that goes against the entire point to begin with.

Not only that, but the Germans and Hungarians will probably be even more difficult to control with a Czech "king" so soon after the Hapsburgs. Living under a "Saisonstaat" Slavic monarch would really upset them.

Incorrect. There are plenty of minor Czech noble houses who would theoretically be eligible for the throne and have more legitimacy than any foreign house. That said, you were right that perhaps a Czech noble would have trouble controlling the Germans. On the other hand, other countries have accepted foreign rulers without a problem. The British line is German (Windsors = Saxe-Coburg-Gotha ), so was the Greek one. And the Swedish king is originally French.

I have a number of Czech friends, quite a few of the would like to see the country renamed Bohemia, and wouldn't mind having King Karel as head of state. So, you maybe able to have a new, old, monarchy.

Then those "Czech friends" don't know much :D Perhaps you should tell them that in Czech, we don't have the word "Bohemia". That's a word with Germanic and Latin origins. In Czech, we have always used the word "Čechy" (=Czechia). Even historically, we were Království České (=Czech Kingdom) while the world called us the Kingdom of Bohemia. The only people that have ever called us Bohemia are Anglophones and Germanohphones ;)

But the monarchy is something I would very much welcome, having lived a large part of my life in a Kingdom. With either a Czech noble on the throne or perhaps a Habsburg.

What we're all sort of in waiting for here is an assumption to the spotlight or something like a coronation, right angels, well those are mysterious. Quite right, designs on thrones are so very pretty. The crown will prevail as long as nobility live and those in need are receiving, those in charge are giving. I'm guessing you're not looking for some dude or lady in a special chair wearing a funny hat to dictate nonchalant what's up? It is what it is. Love you more... I wanna know what it is and where it's at as much as anybody. Life is going on all around us. What if nobility was one of us, all of us, strangers in the night, heading home afterwards? We are who we are, like it or not, ready or not. Love conquers all. Rock on, party on!

Thanks again. I'm guessing that what we're waiting for is some assumption in a spotlight or some coronation in glory, well, that's mysterious. Designs on the throne are so very pretty. The crown will prevail. As long as nobility lives in the hearts of those that are working and playing the game, keep hope alive. Hope springs eternal. If what we're looking for is some dude or lady wearing a funny hat in a special chair dictating whatever then, what's up? I'm guessing we all wanna know what it is and where it's at, so there we go. What if our monarchy was one, many, or all of us, just strangers, making a living, making our way home... Rock on, party on! :cool::p:cool::cool::love::angel:o_O:evilsmile::happyblush

Status
Not open for further replies.