Minerva ante portas! A Roman Scientific Revolution

ngxKpzD.jpg

What is this timeline about?
As the title explains, its about a roman scientific revolution taking place at the birth of the roman empire.
The industrial revolution will follow but much later and a bit different through the more advanced scientific knowledge present.

Sounds familiar.... Let me guess Heron's Aeopile?
Nope Heron is busy with other stuff.

Ah, now I get it a chinese sterling engine again ?
Maybe.....But first we start the electrical revolution ;)

Huh? What?
:cool:

Last edited:
The Discovery of Electriticy
The Discovery of Electricity

Herophilos the Medical Pioneer

"When health is absent, wisdom cannot reveal itself, art cannot manifest, strength cannot fight, wealth becomes useless, and intelligence cannot be applied."
Herophilus

Herophilos was born in Chalcedon in Asia Minor, 335 BC (1). Not much is known about his early life other than that he had moved to Alexandria at a fairly young age to begin his schooling. His formal medical education began under Praxagoras of Cos, who had added to Aristotelian anatomy by differentiating arteries from veins and who first measured the pulse, using a water clock (clepsydra), thus pioneering objective measurements in medicine.

As an adult Herophilos was a teacher, and an author of at least nine texts ranging from his book titled, On Pulses, which explored the flow of blood from the heart through the arteries, to his book titled Midwifery. Herophilos was the first scientist to systematically perform scientific dissections of human cadavers.

Corpses were generally considered sources of both physical and God-inflicted pollution (stoutly denied by Hippocrates), hence the traditional Greek taboo that banned human dissection. However, for a period of 40 years, Ptolemaic royal patronage permitted dissection of condemned criminals probably to expand understanding of disease and hence the repute of Alexandria as the foremost site of scholarship. After Alcmaeon (6th century BC), Herophilus was probably the first person to dissect human cadavers, numbering about 600. He believed the primary parts of the human body should be perceptible to the senses, following the principles of the Hippocratic school On the Nature of Man, probably the work of Polybus, Hippocrates' son-in-law.

Conventional medicine of the time revolved around the theory of the four humors in which an imbalance between bile, black bile, phlegm, and blood led to sickness or disease. Veins were believed to be filled with blood and a mixture of air and water. Through dissections, Herophilos was able to deduce that veins only carried blood. After studying the flow of blood, he was able to differentiate between arteries and veins. He noticed that as blood flowed through arteries, they pulsed or rhythmically throbbed. He worked out standards for measuring a pulse and could use these standards to aid him in diagnosing sicknesses or diseases.

Praxagoras, his teacher, from the school of Cos was renowned for his studies of the pulse. Herophilus supported him, maintaining that pulsation was involuntary and the result of the contraction and dilatation of the arteries caused by contraction and dilatation of the heart . But, based on his own observation, he opposed Praxagoras's opinion of the ‘cardiocentric' dictates of Aristotle. Herophilus stated that the brain not the heart was the seat of the soul. As his friend Erasistratus, "he places the dominant principle of the soul in the ventricles of the brain".

His work on blood and its movements led him to study and analyse the brain. He proposed that the brain housed the intellect rather than the heart, a return to the "encephalaocentrism". He was the first person to differentiate between the cerebrum and the cerebellum and to place individual importance on each portion. He looked more in depth into the network of nerves located in the cranium. He described the optic nerve and the oculomotor nerve for sight and eye movement. Atlhough here again Alcmaeon of Croton had done a lot of groundwork(2).

Through his dissection of the eye, he discovered the different sections and layers of the eye: the cornea, the retina, the iris, and the choroid also known as the choroid coat. Further study of the cranium led him to describe the calamus scriptorius which he believed was the seat of the human soul. Analysis of the nerves in the cranium allowed him to differentiate between nerves and blood vessels and to discover the differences between motor and sensory nerves. He believed that the sensory and motor nerves shot out from the brain and that the neural transmissions occurred by means of pneuma.

Part of his belief system regarding the human body involved the pneuma, which he believed was a substance that flowed through the arteries along with the blood. Playing off of medical beliefs at the time, Herophilos stated that diseases occurred when an excess of one of the four humors impeded the pneuma from reaching the brain.

Thales and Socrates’s Thought on Magnetism

Herophilos' discovery of electricity was inspired by two other famous Greek thinker, Thales of Miletus and Socrates of Athen.

Aristotle, the major source for Thales's philosophy and science, identified Thales as the first person to investigate the basic principles, the question of the originating substances of matter and, therefore, as the founder of the school of natural philosophy. Thales was interested in almost everything, investigating almost all areas of knowledge, philosophy, history, science, mathematics, engineering, geography, and politics. He proposed theories to explain many of the events of nature, the primary substance, the support of the earth, and the cause of change.

Magnetic iron ore could be found near “Magnesia on the Maeander” in Asia Minor. Thales himself collected such rocks. “ho magnetes lithos” or lodestone. However none of his original manuscripts detailing his observations survived to the present day. The best source we have are the writings of Aristotle:

“And Thales, according to what is related of him, seems to have regarded the soul as something endowed with the power of motion, if indeed he said that the loadstone has a soul because it moves iron. [De Anima, by Aristotle]

This was certainly an important inspiration for Herophilos and his musings about the nature of the pneuma. However even more important was the following observation Socrates made. "that stone not only attracts iron rings, but imparts to them a similar power of attracting other rings; and sometimes you may see many pieces of iron and rings suspended from one another to form quite a long chain; and all of them derive their power of suspension from the original stone"

Somehow it seemed that pneuma, magnetism or however one wanted to call this invisible force could be transported trough metal, like blood that flows trough the body.

Notes and Sources

(1) I try to keep dates, and technical terms mostly as they are used in our timeline. Evertything else would probably be too confusing in the long term. The only exception are “text” passages cited from sources written in this timeline. One example would be me quoting Herophilos.

(2) Alcmaeon of Croton experimented with live animals by cutting the nerve behind the eye to study vision. He also contributed to the study of medicine by establishing the connection between the brain and the sense organs, and outlined the paths of the optic nerves as well as stating that the brain is the organ of the mind. However, his theories were not without mistakes. He said that sleep occurs when blood vessels in the brain are filled and that waking is caused by the emptying of these vessels. He also stated that the eye contains both fire and water.

Wikipedia: Herophilos, Thales, Alcmaeon
http://www.iep.utm.edu/thales/
http://blogs.bu.edu/ggarber/archive/bua-py-25/magnetism/
http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/ElectroMagnet.htm
The Neuroanatomy of Herophilus by Pearce J.M.S.

People

Herophilos of Chalcedon (335 BCE – 280 BCE)
Thales of Miletus (624 BCE – 546 BCE)
Socrates of Athen (470 BCE – 399 BCE)

Last edited:
The Discovery of Eletricity II
The Discovery of Electricity II

Herophilos and the Study of Electric Fish

The electrogenic properties of electric rays have been known since antiquity. Painful and paralysing shocks from the catch meant that illiterate Near Eastern fishermen were the first to observe physical sequelae (numbness, pain relief) after accidental contact with either the Nile catfish malapterurus electricus, or the marine Mediterranean rayfish torpedo mamorata. The rayfish got its name from from torpere, "to be stiff or numb, to be torpid."

Indeed, Meno, in speaking to Socrates in the dialogue of the same name, says "And if I may venture to make a jest upon you, you seem to me both in your appearance and in your power over others to be very like the flat torpedo fish, who torpifies those who come near him and touch him, as you have now torpified me, I think. For my soul and my tongue are really torpid, and I do not know how to answer you. [Meno by Socrates]."

As to the torpedo ray, itself, Oppian (1) calls it the cramp-fish, saying in his book Halieutica that "in its loins it hath a piece of craft, its strength in weakness: even two rays planted in its sides, one on either hand. If one approach and touch these, straight way it quenches the strength of his body and his blood is frozen within him and his limbs can no longer carry him but he quietly pines away and his strength is drained by stupid torpor" .
Later, Oppian relates how, if caught, the shock runs through the line and rod to the hand of the fisherman, causing him to drop the tackle. "Such icy numbness straight way settles in his hand".

After hearing about just such an incident occuring Herophilos curiosity spiked. Apparently, just like in magnets, the “topere pneuma” of these fish could be transported through other inorganic substances. In this case it were these fisher’s fishing tools. He reasoned correctly that using an indirect connection, such as a wire, would allow him to target specific human body parts, certain nerves, he had already identified. Surely it would be worth the effort to study how exactly they would react to precisely controlled electric stimuli.

Herophilos, was able to cause all kinds of involuntary twitching and other muscle movements, even in test subjects/patients who’s limps were otherwise permanently paralysed. He also figured out that not all material were equivocally conductive, again just like magnets.

However his most important discovery happened when he began working with frogs, or more importantly dead frogs as test animal. Encouraged by the positive results in paralysed humans, he tried the next step, of temporary revive recently killed frogs. He was convinced that the raw power of the "pneuma topere” might breath some life back into such small animals. What made them especially enticing as research subjects was how visible and easy to reach their organs and nerves were. The fish’s electricity not only allowed dead frogs to move but it could apparently even bring to life severed limps separated from the rest of the frog’s body.

He also began studying and dissecting catfish and rays themselves:

“The cramp fish has not this stupefying quality in all parts of his whole, body but only in one particular part, and this determined or particular part is those two hooked muscles…..which unless they are immediately touched with the bare flesh, produce no effect at all; besides in touching those parts, it is necessary that the fibres of those said muscles be contracted, to produce the effect of the naked part of those who touch them. (2)” was his description of the rayfish.

While all of this was interesting, the newly gained knowledge mostly contributed to medical theory and treatment. I was another rather serendipitous discovery that would provide the initial spark for the scientific revolution or how the Roman poet and philosopher called it"the atomic age".

Dancing Frog Legs and the Foundation of Modernity

“After I had assessed the effects of the pneuma topere, I was extremely eager also to investigate possible improvements for my medical tools. Different shapes and types of metal were compiled. Frogs were prepared by fastening brass hooks in their spinal cord. A convient row of them hand outisde the pond, harboring several electric fish.

I then connected the frogs to iron wire that was supposed to conduct pneuma topere to a freshly caught ray. However I made a most peculiar observation. Behold! The same contractions and movements in the frogs occurred, as if animated by foreign animal pneuma topere. I immediately repeated the experiment in different pieces with different metals and at different hours of the day. The results were the same except that the contractions varied with the metals used; that is, they were more violent with some and weaker with others.

Then it occurred to me to experiment with other substances that were either non-conductors or very poor conductors of pneuma topere like glass, gum, resin, stones, and dry wood. Nothing of the kind happened and no muscular contractions or movements were evident. These results surprised me greatly and led me to suspect that there are some hidden residual pneuma topere inherent in the animal itself that somehow got released.

After making these observations I asked Erasistratus, a fellow Alexandrian scholar and valued colleague, - I asked him, I repeat, to offer a helping band in this experiment just as be had very kindly done in other experiments. I suggested that be hold the frog as I myself bad done before, not only for the sake of convenience, bur also that I might alter the method of experiment a little, while I struck the box again. Contrary to expectation, however, the contractions were absent. When I carried out the experiment alone as before, the contractions were produced once more.

This result led me to hold the animal in one hand, as I had done before, and Erasistratus hand in the other and to ask him either to touch or strike the box with his free hand so as to form a kind of electrical chain. To our joy and surprise, contractions immediately took place, only to disappear if we separated our hands. They reappeared if we joined our hands once again.

Although, in fact, these results seemed sufficient to indicate pneuma flowing-out, as it were, of the nerve fluid through the human chain, nonetheless we wished absolutely to confirm so significant and novel a discovery.

Thus Erasistratus and I formed a chain, not by holding bands, bur through some intermediate body, now through a glass rod (a non-conductor, and again through a metal rod (a conductor). In this experiment, we discovered to our pleasure that contractions were produced when the metal rod was used, but completely disappeared with the glass rod, and that to no purpose was the box either touched or struck even with heavy blows from a conducting body when the latter was used. For this reason we thought we had established the fact that electricity of this kind stimulates contractions, in whatever way it could bring this about.

These observations led me to the assumption that the contractions, which (as I said), were produced in frogs connecting to different metals. A fortunate chance observation, if my judgement is correct, clearly confirmed this opinion of mine. If a frog is so held in the fingers by one leg that the book fastened in the spinal cord touches a silver plate and if the other leg fails down freely on the same plate, the muscles are immediately contracted at the instant that this leg makes contact.

There-upon the leg is raised, but soon, however, it becomes relaxed of its own accord and again falls down on the plate. As soon as contact is made, the leg is again lifted for the same reason and thus it continues alternately to be raised and lowered so that to the great astonishment and pleasure of the observer, the legs seemed to dance in a joyous if a bit macabar fashion.

One can clearly see how conveniently and neatly this phenomenon can be repeated with a plate that functions as a kind of a link, producing the aforementioned pneuma topere chainwhen the free leg falls against the plate but being unable to effect this when the leg is raised from its surface. This evidence that a metal plate functions as a pneumatic toperic chain is neither obscure nor open to doubt.

One is unable to describe, however, by what means this plate excites muscular contractions and through what innate capacity (for indeed is capacity), frequent, vigorous, and even prolonged contractions are produced. These occur not only if the hook, fastened to the spinal cord, is pressed against or rubbed over the metal plate, but even simultaneously with the hook's merely touching the surface, and also if, once the hook has touched the plate, its contacts with it are somewhat altered-as when someone lightly strikes either the surface on which the animal lies, or the supports on which it rests. But so much for the kind of chain,……….” [De Pneuma Topere In Motu Muscolari Commentarius by Herophilos]

Notes

(1) This is part of Oppian of Anazarbus poem on fishing, the Halieutica. The poem is about 3500 lines and bears a dedication to Marcus Aurelius and his son Commodus in our timeline. Here things are a bit less clear, but in order to keep this timeline grounded I want to keep “real” contemporary voices wherever possible.

(2) A description by Stefano Lorenzi of the torpedo fish, written in 1666.

People

Herophilos of Chalcedon (335 BCE – 280 BCE)
Erasistratus of Ioulis (304 BCE –250 BCE)
Oppian of Anazarbus (2nd Century)
Socrates of Athen (470 BCE – 399 BCE)

Sources

Wikipedia: Herophilos, Thales
http://www.iep.utm.edu/thales/
http://blogs.bu.edu/ggarber/archive/bua-py-25/magnetism/
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/aconite/largus.html
Luigi Galvandie (1792/1953): Viribus electricitatis in motu muscolari.
Commentarius/Commentary on the effects of electricity on muscolar motion
Rosalind Park M.A., B.Sc.(2010): Catfish Remedy for Gout in Ancient Egypt
Stanley Finger: Minds Behind the Brain: A History of the Pioneers and Their Discoveries

Last edited:
That's brilliant! I suppose electricity will be known as something like pneumaticity ittl? Also, what does"topere" mean? Is it Greek or Latin?

The Discovery of Electricity III
The Discovery of Electricity III

Bacchius and the Unified Theory of Pneuma (Electromagnetism)

Bacchius was very proud to call himself a member of Herophilos House (oikia) and a follower of Herophilos newly established medical school (hairesis). And while the pupil didn’t exactly surpass his master, he certainly measured up to him. As soon as he witnessed the, albeit temporary, “resurrection” of a frog thanks to the power of transferable pneuma he got himself (strictly metaphorically speaking) hooked. In fact he made it his life’s mission to study and master the art of pneuma transfer.

His obsession, his genius, his success and his failures captured the imagination of his contemporaries as well as those who would follow in his footsteps.

One of the most artful, if very critical tributes was made by the Roman poet and playwright Ennius: “Hateful day when I received life!' I exclaimed in agony. 'Accursed creator! Why did you form a monster so hideous that even you turned from me in disgust? Prometheus, out of clay, made man beautiful and alluring, after his own image; but my form is a filthy type of yours, more horrid even from the very resemblance. Even Eurynomos has the Empusae to admire and comfort him; but I am solitary in my abhorrence. [Et Fulmines (The Thunderbolt) by Quintus Ennius]." (1).

Indeed as soon as he began his work in earnest Bacchius encountered resistance by other doctors and natural philosophers. After all Aristotle had proclaimed that "When the soul departs [from the body], what is left is no longer an animal, and that none of the parts remain what they were before, excepting in mere configuration [De Partibus Animalium by Aristotle]."

However now Bacchius set out to fill an empty soulless vessel in its entierty entirely with foreign pneuma. Bacchius wasn’t particularly impressed with this line of reasoning pointing to Herophilos discovery of residual pneuma as well as the importance of the calamus scriptorius were in his medical oppionion the pneuma psyche, the pattern of the soul still resides.

Unimpressed and undeterred by his critics he began to systematically study all known occurrences of pneuma activity.

A Brief Summary of Bacchius Work

The first, and best documented phenomenon was obviously the pneuma topere of electric fish. Indeed he didn’t add anything much to his mentors body of work. A bit more interesting was the list of inorganic pneuma sources. First there were the aforementioned lodestone. But Thales also described an interesting property of amber. Around 585 BC, he discovered that if he rubbed amber (ilektron) with a piece of fur, that amber could attract lightweight objects (like feathers) to itself. Then there was Theophrastus who in his book De Lapidibus noted that the mineral tourmaline becomes charged when heated.

Last but not least came the unexpected addition of another source of the weather. Being a diligent worker not even an upcoming storm, prevented him from preparing his newest experiment. As it seems Fortuna smiles on the sedulous. "Whenever lightning flashed, all the [prepared frogs’s] muscles simultaneously fell into numerous violent contractions. These contractions preceded and as it were gave warning of the thunder to follow, just as the flash and illumination of lightning is won’t to do. [De Peuma Topere Artificialis by Bacchius]"

Once again, Bacchius increased the number of tests while varying their parameters. He noted in particular that a threatening sky, even without the presence of a lightning storm, sometimes led to the same effect. He concluded that as Thales "think(s) that the soul pervades the whole universe, whence perhaps came (his) view that everything is full of gods' [De Anima by Aristotle]” The universe it seemed to Bacchius was indeed saturated in pneuma.

As for the other sources of observable pneuma torpere, all of them could be shown to work on prepared frogs, with the annoying exception of magnets. To his great disappointment it proved impossible to excite lodestones in order to release their pneuma in a useful form. The only and very weak satisfaction he got, was that the magnets seemed to “yearn for the potent, freely flowing pneuma topere” of electric fish. Or to put it in less poetic words, a magnetic needle always orients itself in the direction of a nearby electric current.

His magnum opus however would be his invention of the Bacchius pile (Volta pile). Having exhausted all possible combination of frogs, and other animals he began to investigate the properties of different plants. He soon found that lemons made for the best non-animal source of pneuma (electricity). The device to harvest it functioned basically on the same principal as a frog’s pneumatic chain (electrical circuit).

This discovery together with the observation of atmospheric pneuma motivated Bacchius to a bold, new move. He began to question the need of biomass in the process of generating pneuma topere. Instead he speculated that this phenomenon was caused by two different metals joined together by a moist intermediary.

Just in accordance with Thales who declared all water as the basic building block of all matter, it seemed also be a great reservoir for “inorganic” water based pneuma topere was sufficient. Although if one follows Thales idea’s consequently all organic matter is merely a temporary arrangement of water and heat.

"Most of the first philosophers thought that principles in the form of matter were the only principles of all things; for the original source of all existing things, that from which a thing first comes-into-being and into which it is finally destroyed, the substance persisting but changing in its qualities, this they declare is the element and first principle of existing things, and for this reason they consider that there is no absolute coming-to-be or passing away, on the ground that such a nature is always preserved... for there must be some natural substance, either one or more than one, from which the other things come-into-being, while it is preserved.

Over the number, however, and the form of this kind of principle they do not all agree; but Thales, the founder of this type of philosophy, says that it is water (and therefore declared that the earth is on water), perhaps taking this supposition from seeing the nature of all things to be moist, and the warm itself coming-to-be from this and living by this (that from which they come-to-be being the principle of all things) -- taking the supposition both from this and from the seeds of all things having a moist nature, water being the natural principle of moist things [Metaphysics by Aristotle].

Thus by constructing his titular Bacchius pile, not only revolutionized the medical world but also the philosophical thought.

Notes

(1) In our timeline he wrote at least one works, the Euhemerus, about the philosophy of Euhemerus of Messene. The philosophical doctrine named after him euhemerism, holds that many mythological tales can be attributed to historical persons and events, the accounts of which have become altered and exaggerated over time. The gods of Olympus were not supernatural powers still actively intervening in the affairs of men, but great generals, statesmen and inventors of olden times commemorated after death in extraordinary ways. With his play he envisions how such a fate could befall the recently deceased Bacchius.

People

Herophilos of Chalcedon (335 BCE –280 BCE)
Bacchius of Tanagra (275 BCE –199 BCE) in OTL (275 BCE –??? BCE)
Theophrastus of Eresos (371 BCE – 287 BCE)
Quintus Ennius (239 BCE – 169 BCE)
Theophrastos von Eresos (371 BCE – 287 BCE)

Sources

wikipedia (several)
Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus by Mary Shelly
On the Parts of Animals/ De Partibus Animalium by Aristotle
On the Soul/ De Anima by Aristotle

Last edited:
Roman industrialization is always interesting and I wait to see how you do think overcoming Roman's traditional reluctance over technological progress.
On electromagnetism, I don't think it was hard to find the principles such as discovered IOTL by Faraday, but I doubt it would advance much beyond empiric knowledge; the progress made with Maxwell's theory was possible only with mathematical tools that needed almost two centuries of maturation, especially with differential calculus and vectorial analysis.

Alcsentre Calanice

Gone Fishin'
Roman industrialization is always interesting and I wait to see how you do think overcoming Roman's traditional reluctance over technological progress.

Trust me, Roman industrialization is impossible. Most importantly, metallurgy needs to progress to produce really good steel, as well as fine mechanics and mathematics. Hell, they even haven't the printing press to spread knowledge quickly or paper to print on.
The life of the persons in these times is still characterized by short of food supply (before the Agricultural revolution, even before the agricultural progress of the Middle Ages) and by wars about the scarce farmland.

Trust me, Roman industrialization is impossible. Most importantly, metallurgy needs to progress to produce really good steel, as well as fine mechanics and mathematics. Hell, they even haven't the printing press to spread knowledge quickly or paper to print on.
The life of the persons in these times is still characterized by short of food supply (before the Agricultural revolution, even before the agricultural progress of the Middle Ages) and by wars about the scarce farmland.
Demonstrate that it is impossible. As far as I can see, those challenges you mentioned can be overcome.

I would say that these various hurdles are exactly why the POD is so far in the past, relative to the Romans' rise to prominence.

More room for butterflies should do well to allow for different techniques in these areas to develop and mature so as to arrive at the original premise with a level of plausibility. Have faith people, the guy seems to have an idea where he wants this to go and I'm certainly interested in seeing where it goes.

The Discovery of Electricity IV
Well, I am no longer sure I chose the best possible title for this timeline. Yes, at the end of the timeline we are going to see an industrialized Roman empire, however the focus will be on the path getting there. The basic premise behind this timeline is to explore a possible "technology tree" very different looking from OTL. This doesn't mean that important building blocks such as the printing press will be skipped, but some will happen much later then people will expect. I might have better gone with something like an alternate industrialization in ancient Greek/Rome, as the title but anything I could come up with was way to long, or clunky to be used. I am open to suggestion, if somebody has a good, catchy idea. If any of you read one of my other timelines you will know what to expect. In short, this is basically a best of weird anachronistic technologies ComradeHuxley can come up with plus some occasional political/social/economic stuff in between.

Edit: Additional Chapter was inserted here for a better flow. ;-)

The Discovery of Electricity IV

The Bacchius Pile

Bacchius invented the first true battery, which came to be known as the Bacchius pile. The Bacchius pile consisted of pairs of copper and zinc discs piled on top of each other, separated by a layer of cloth or cardboard soaked in brine (i.e., the electrolyte). The pile produced a continuous electricity and stable current, and lost little charge over time when not in use. He experimented with various metals and found that zinc and silver gave the best results. Bacchius believed the current was the result of two different materials simply touching each other and not the result of chemical reactions. As a consequence, he regarded the corrosion of the zinc plates as an unrelated flaw that could perhaps be fixed by changing the materials somehow. However, he never succeeded in preventing this corrosion. But even if his understanding of his own creation was a bit flawed Bacchius achieved some amazing feats. Now with his pile it was possible to generate pneuma topere at will, making it as visible and useful to the medical profession. Obviously his first instinct was to use this new tool to stimulate the seat of cognition, of the soul soul, in animals and criminals, alive or dead.

The Soul, Cognition and Body Movement

But Bacchius first objective was to settle and old argument among physicians and philosopher alike, the nature of the soul. As mentioned earlier his teacher Herophilus rejected cardiocentrism, introduced by his teacher Praxagoras into the medical school of Cos, and returned to Hippocratic encephalocentrism. The goal was to find a way to to make the activity of the soul visible. As Polybus, the son of Hippocrates already proclaimed:

"Whoever has been accustomed to listening to speakers who discuss the nature of man beyond the scope, which pertains to medicine, is not suitable for listening to my present lecture. For I do not insist at all that a human being is air or fire or water or earth, or anything else that does not appear to the senses to be existing in the human being."

In this passage, Polybus criticizes philosophical theories ascribed to those who hold that a single one of the four elements (i.e. fire, air, water and earth) is the essential constituent of the human being. According to the physician, their anthropology is obviously beyond the scope of medical discussion, because, he claims, each one of these elements is not confirmed by the senses to be existent in the human body. While he still couldn’t see pneuma topere the battery allowed him to stimulate parts of the body, including the brain without needing to rely on any type of electric fish (1).

Ptolemy III Euergetes

The invention of the battery happened during the reign of Ptolemy III Euergetes, the "Benefactor". True to his name, he was willing and capable to finance Bacchius experiments. After all under his reign Ptolemaic Egypt had arguably reached its zenith. A prosperous, military successful and internally stable country, with liberated attitude towards the native religion.

All this meant that that Ptolemy III Euergetes was willing and capable living up to his name in regards to Bacchius. After having demonstrated the potential of his battery and also eloquently explained the limits of his current research he was granted the means necessary to construct the Pharaonic Pile, consisting of 5000 copper and zinc discs, a true masterpiece of art and science (2).

Et Fulminis – The First Work of Science Fiction

Quintus Ennius was a writer during the period of the Roman Republic, and is often considered the father of Roman poetry. He was an Oscan, a linguistic group of peoples who lived in parts of central and southern Italy. Ennius was born at Rudiae, a predominantly Oscan town historically founded by the Messapians. Here Oscan, Greek, and Latin languages were in contact with one another. Thus Ennius referred to this heritage by saying he had "three hearts," Greek, Oscan and Latin (Quintus Ennius tria corda habere sese dicebat, quod loqui Graece et Osce et Latine sciret). Ennius was well, read and interested in cosmology, Gods but also in the recent discoveries made in Alexandria. Specifically he mused about their theological implications of Bacchius’ findings. The story has two inspirations the mythological story of Asclepius and the work and ultimate “failure” of Bacchius.

The Myth of Asclepius

He was a hero and god of medicine in ancient Greek religion and mythology. Asclepius represents the healing aspect of the medical arts. He was the son of Apollo and, according to the earliest accounts, a mortal woman named Coronis. His mother was killed for being unfaithful to Apollo and was laid out on a funeral pyre to be consumed, but the unborn child was rescued from her womb. Apollo carried the baby to the centaur Chiron who raised Asclepius and instructed him in the art of medicine. It is said that in return for some kindness rendered by Asclepius, a snake licked Asclepius’ ears clean and taught him secret knowledge. Snakes were and are after all beings of wisdom, healing, and resurrection. Asclepius became so proficient as a healer that he surpassed both Chiron and his father, Apollo. Asclepius was therefore able to evade death and to bring others back to life from the brink of death and beyond. Hades thought that no more dead spirits would come to the underworld, so he asked his brother Zeus to stop him. Thus Zeus killed Asclepius with a thunderbolt Asclepius was later resurrected as a god by Zeus to prevent any further feuds with Apollo. But Asclepius was instructed by Zeus to never revive the dead without his approval again.

The Story of Bacchius

The Pharaonic Pile was a powerful tool in the hand of Bacchius. His dream, that he and Ptolemy III shared was, of a pile sufficiently powerful to reanimate the dead. While this is evidently known to be impossible to us, things looked different at the time. Not only could he make severed frog legs dance, he demonstrated that when for example applied to executed criminal, “the jaws of the deceased criminal began to quiver, and the adjoining muscles were horribly contorted, and one eye was actually opened. In the subsequent part of the process the right hand was raised and clenched, and the legs and thighs were set in motion. (3)”
But despite throwing himself whole heartily into these experiments in the end he never managed to resurrecting the dead. From Ptolemy III standpoint his faith in Bacchius was still rewarded, although in an unexpected way. During his experiments with the Pharanoic pile he managed to create an electric arc, or as he himself described it an artificial lightning bolt.

As for the reason it didn’t work. Bacchius consulted his late teacher on the question. Herophilus differentiated between the faculties of the soul (psyche) and the ones attributed to the nature (physis). According to his anatomical physiology of the human being, faculties responsible for sense perceptions and for voluntary motions of the body were classified as the ones peculiar to the soul, while those which produce involuntary movements of the body, such as the pulse and respiration, were classified as “natural” faculties.

From his own investigation into these matters Bacchius came to a similar dualistic but more complex conclusion. The psyche did rest in the brain and generated its own pneuma topere to control the physis of the body. He pointed to an analogy to bring his point across. The psyche was the leader of the body, sending out its messengers.

Without a proper leader the messenger, the pneuma topere could bring movement into the body but not purpose. All that more refinement of the method might accomplish was to build an abdominal flesh automaton but nothing more.

Et Fulminis by Ennius

Somebody who took Bacchius up on that idea was Ennius. The hideoas description of the hideous creature such a hypothetical flesh automaton would be really wormed its way into his highly prolific mind. The story depicts Caeso Vipstanus Paetus who young roman patrician who travels abroad to Alexandria to study at the great University and to overcome his grief about the death of his first love and fiancee Verecundia Olennia. Instead of finding piece and getting over he begins to obsess over her death even more. After learning about Bacchius resurrection attempts, he begins experiments of his own. Several times he gets warnings, by his friends, even by the gods themselves, but he continues. In the end he manages to revive a condemned criminal, but the man is merely a flesh automaton kept alive by a battery implanted in his body. After going completely mad, hallucinating and having a “dialogue” with creature, the mindless beast rips his head of and consumes his brain in the vain search for direction, for a working psyche. Without ever realizing it, Ennius wrote the first archetypical science fiction story.

Notes

The actual cardiocentrism versus encephalocentrism debate is too big for this part of the story. But there will be and addendum chapter, explaining the intricacies of the controversy.

(1) Scribonius Largo, physician of the Roman emperor Claudius, in his text “Compositiones medicamentorum” (46 AD) suggested the application of electric ray (Torpedo torpedo and Torpedo nobiliana) on the cranial surface as a remedy for the headache. So at least some crude version was suggested even in our timeline.

(2) Description of Aldini's most famous public demonstration of the electro-stimulation technique of deceased limbs was performed on the executed criminal George forster at Newgate in London 1803.

(3) This is based on the real discoveries done in 1802 by Vasily Vladimirovich Petrov. He worked with a the most powerful Voltaic pile at the time, which consisted of around 4,200 copper and zinc discs. In “News of Galvanic-Voltaic Experiments,” 1803 (Russian: Izvestie o galvani-voltovskikh opytakh), Petrov described experiments performed using the pile.

People
Herophilos of Chalcedon (335 BCE –280 BCE)
Bacchius of Tanagra (275 BCE –199 BCE) in OTL (275 BCE –??? BCE)
Quintus Ennius (239 BCE – 169 BCE)
Ptolemy III Euergetes (246–222 BCE)

Sources

The History and Future of Deep Brain Stimulation -Jason M. Schwalb and Clement Hamani
wikipedia - Giovanni Aldini
The Electric Arc by von Hertha Ayrton

Last edited:
One big difference between this and Ex Oriente Lux: Song China had high incomes for a preindustrial society; Ancient Rome did not, and was hamstrung by a social structure that made sure it would never have any incentive to invest in labor-saving technology.

Ironically, in a TL where Song China industrialized, I can totes see the backward Europeans fantasize about an ASB intervention in which the Roman Empire industrialized, just as today there's steampunk that posits the same about late-19c Qing China.

Well, I am no longer sure I chose the best possible title for this timeline. Yes, at the end of the timeline we are going to see an industrialized Roman empire, however the focus will be on the path getting there. The basic premise behind this timeline is to explore a possible "technology tree" very different looking from OTL. This doesn't mean that important building blocks such as the printing press will be skipped, but some will happen much later then people will expect. I might have better gone with something like an alternate industrialization in ancient Greek/Rome, as the title but anything I could come up with was way to long, or clunky to be used. I am open to suggestion, if somebody has a good, catchy idea. If any of you read one of my other timelines you will know what to expect. In short, this is basically a best of weird anachronistic technologies ComradeHuxley can come up with plus some occasional political/social/economic stuff in between.

Why not sticking to Latin, so that the final result is guaranteed not to be too long or too clunky? My humble proposal is Video meliora ac sequor, "I see the better way and follow it", a slight ateration of Ovid's well-known maxim which instead ended with him preferring to follow the worse way. But after years of reading your TL's, that's not how it usually ends up in your works, right Comrade?

The Discovery of Electricity V
One big difference between this and Ex Oriente Lux: Song China had high incomes for a preindustrial society; Ancient Rome did not, and was hamstrung by a social structure that made sure it would never have any incentive to invest in labor-saving technology.

Thats acutally why I am looking at technoloy that can't be simply substituted by slave labour, but requires machine/electrical power to work.

Why not sticking to Latin, so that the final result is guaranteed not to be too long or too clunky? My humble proposal is Video meliora ac sequor, "I see the better way and follow it", a slight ateration of Ovid's well-known maxim which instead ended with him preferring to follow the worse way. But after years of reading your TL's, that's not how it usually ends up in your works, right Comrade?

Pretty nice motto. If I can come up with a fitting poster design I'll might consider it as an alternative title. Also thanks for your continued support :)

Edit: Additional chapters inserted here.

The Discovery of Electricity V

“The first generation builds the business, the second makes it a success, and the third wrecks it ”This old piece of wisdom can be applied to businessmen as well as kingdoms. In the case of Egypt it has to be adjusted a bit. All first three generation did not only well but good. Ptolemy I Soter, Ptolemy II Philadelphus,Ptolemy III Euergetes. In this final chapter we don’t concern ourselves a less with the discovery of electricity, but more how its knowledge was almost completely erased from Egypt.

The Long Decline

The first began to show under Ptolemy IV Philopator (221–204 BCE), under his reign the fortunes of the Ptolemaic dynasty began to decline. Ptolemy IV's reign was inaugurated by the murder of his mother, and he was always under the dominion of favorites, male and female, who indulged his vices and conducted the government as they pleased.

Self-interest led his ministers to make serious preparations to meet the attacks of Antiochus III the Great on Coele-Syria including Judea, and Ptolemy himself was present at the great Egyptian victory of Raphia (217 BCE) which secured the northern borders of the kingdom for the remainder of his reign. The arming of Egyptians in this campaign had a disturbing effect upon the native population of Egypt, leading to the secession of Upper Egypt under pharaohs Harmachis and Ankmachis, thus creating a kingdom that occupied much of the country and lasted nearly twenty years. Philopator was devoted to orgiastic forms of religion and literary dilettantism. He built a temple to Homer and composed a tragedy, to which his favorite Agathocles added a commentary.

Ptolemy Epiphanes (204–181 BCE) was only a small boy when his father, Ptolemy Philopator, died. Philopator's two leading favorites, Agathocles and Sosibius, fearing that Arsinoe would secure the regency, had her murdered before she heard of her husband's death, thereby securing the regency for themselves. However, in 202 BCE, Tlepolemus, the general in charge of Pelusium, put himself at the head of a revolt. Once Epiphanes was in the hands of Tlepolemus he was persuaded to give a sign that his mother's killers should be killed. The child king gave his consent, it is thought more from fear than anything else, and Agathocles along with several of his supporters were killed by the Alexandrian mob Great cruelty and treachery were displayed in the suppression of the native rebellions, and some accounts represent Epiphanes as personally tyrannical. In 183 BCE/184 BCE, the rebels in Lower Egypt surrendered on the basis of terms that Epiphanes had personally promised to honor. However, showing himself treacherous and vindictive, he had them put to death in a cruel manner.

Ptolemy VI Philometor (ca. 186–145 BC) reigned from 180 to 145 BCE, starting at the age of 6. In 170 BC Antiochus IV Epiphanes of the Seleucid Empire invaded and captured King Ptolemy VI Philometor and all of Egypt, with the exception of the city of Alexandria. Antiochus allowed Ptolemy VI to continue as a puppet monarch. Meanwhile, the people of Alexandria chose Ptolemy VIII Euergetes (182 BCE – June 26, 116 BCE), his younger brother, as king. Euergetes was popularly known as "Physkōn", Latinized as Physcon, meaning sausage, potbelly or bladder, due to his obesity.

After Antiochus withdrew from the area in 168 BC due to threats from Rome, Physcon agreed to jointly rule Egypt in a triumvirate with Philometor and Cleopatra II (Philometor's wife and their sister). This arrangement led to continuous intrigues, lasting until October 164 BCE, when Philometor traveled to Rome to appear before the Senate, who were somewhat agreeable with the arrangement. However, areas under Physcon's sole rule were not satisfied with the arrangement, and in May 163 BCE the two brothers agreed to an altering of the original partition. This left Physcon in charge of Cyrenaica. Although the arrangement lasted until Philometor's death in 145 BCE, it did not end the power struggles.

The Purge of Alexandria

When Philometor died on a campaign in 145 BCE, Cleopatra II (Philometer’s wife) quickly had her son proclaimed King Ptolemy VII. Physcon, however, returned from battle and proposed joint rule and marriage with Cleopatra II, both of which she accepted. He had the younger Ptolemy assassinated during the wedding feast and claimed the throne himself, as "Ptolemy VIII Euergetes II" (a name deliberately recalling his ancestor Ptolemy III Euergetes), and had himself proclaimed pharaoh in 144 BCE. But he could be further from his ancestor.

In 145 BCE, Physcon took his revenge on the intellectuals of Alexandria who had opposed him, including Aristarchus of Samothrace and Apollodorus of Athens. He engaged in mass purges and expulsions, leaving Alexandria a changed city [Menecles of Barca]

Most of them escaped with their lives. However it were Bacchius disciple that faced the brunt of his ire. Believing their experiments were responsible for the hubris, of the intellectual class, he had all his followers rounded up and killed, their works destroyed (1)

Physcon seduced and married Cleopatra III (his wife's daughter) without divorcing Cleopatra II, who became infuriated. Many speculate that Physcon only married Cleopatra II because he was plotting to marry Cleopatra III when she became of marrying age. By 132 or 131 BCE, the people of Alexandria had rioted and set fire to the royal palace. Physcon, Cleopatra III, and their children escaped to Cyprus; while Cleopatra II had their twelve-year-old son, Ptolemy Memphitis, acclaimed as king. Physcon was able to get hold of the boy, killed him, and sent the dismembered pieces back to Cleopatra. The ensuing civil war pitted Cleopatra's city of Alexandria against the rest of the country, who supported Physcon. But the damage was already done.

A Renaissance ?

While the political turmoils ebbed and flowed, after Ptolemy VIII Physcon death theMusaeum of Alexandria slowly but steadily recovered. But it seemed that some of the suspicion against the art of pneuma topere generation still lingered in the minds of Egypt’s rulers. Nevertheless the great Abdaraxus Didaskalos overcame these obsticles and returned Alexandria to its scientific glory.

Notes

(1) He did expel many scholars in OTL but in this timeline he goes a bit further adopting a similar but even more drastic policy of "Burning books and burying of scholars" than Qin Shi Huang (246–210 BCE), the first Emperor of China.

People

Ptolemy I Soter (303–282 BCE)
Ptolemy II Philadelphus (285–246 BCE)
Ptolemy III Euergetes (246–221 BCE)
Ptolemy IV Philopator(221–203 BCE)
Ptolemy V Epiphanes (203–181 BCE)
Ptolemy VI Philometor (181–164 BCE, 163–145 BCE)
Ptolemy VIII Physcon (170–163 BCE, 145–116 BCE)
Abdaraxus Didaskalos (127 BCE – 58 BCE)

Sources

Wikipedia

Last edited: