Minarets of Atlantis

01d068649ea533149a346ecf45eb920c.jpg

Les Grands Caciques mahométans de l'Amérique septentrionale

The Cacique Nizam, or Cacique Order was the first dervish state on the steppes of North America, established in the year 1153 (1740 A.D.) At its origin was an alliance formed between the cacique of the Iron Confederacy and an octogenarian marabout, Sidi Moulay Idriss ben Abdesalam ben Hassan Jilani, a Sufi murshid and hermit, in order to establish a religious and political absolute lordship, in the name of the Saadian sultan, to purge the North American steppes of modernist practices and deviations from folkloric Islam as they understood it. Historians of North America concur that, aside from the hostility of Bayouk’s republican experiment, the steppes during the mid-18th century were facing an increasing wave of Moorish settlers beyond the traditional domains of Bayouk, following the establishment of the first republic in 1717. A marriage between the elderly marabout and the daughter of the Guardian of the Covenant of the Iron Confederacy would seal the pact between the Confederacy and the marabout, as well as mark the appearance of the Jilanid, or Dhahirid dynasty on the North American steppes.

Dervishists see this joint effort as the restoration of the natural belief in the ancient Sufi orders through the silsilas, or lineages of sheikhs, tracing back to the Prophet through the progeny of the fourth caliph, Ali. The appearance of the Cacique Nizam marks the beginning of the folkloric revivalist movement that swept not only the Muslim, and syncrtic tribes of the steppes outside of the domains of the Republic, but also within Bayouk, primarily in the northern emirates, where the cult of the Saadian sultan and the Malikite rites remained strong; as well as amongst the syncretic tribes loosely tied to the Husseinid sultanate of the Kadwani Confederacy. Together with unresolved sociopolitical complaints of the rural, traditional northerners with the urban, republican elite of the southern emirates; the rise of the first dervish state, as well as the Dervish conquest of Kahoqiya in 1768 would eventually result in the Moorish Civil War, and dissolution of political ties of the northern emirates from the Republic.

Assumption of lordship over the steppes
The Iron Confederacy and its allies quickly rose to become the dominant lords over the steppes by first allying various Adite tribes of the steppes against common enemies, namely: Anglo and Métis fur-traders, the advance of the Haudenosaunee-allied Sioux, and the armed Moorish settlers following the establishment of the Republic. While individual caravans of Moors, other Muslim Adite tribes and Marabouts had existed within the world of the steppes since the early 17th century, none had attempted to exert domination over the steppe tribes until the jihads of the great plaines during the early years of the republic which saw Mahdia eagerly seek to secure and expand its domains in the lawless steppes. The Iron Confederacy first rose to prominence during the heigh of the fur trade, acting as middlemen between Europeans and other Adite tribes, Muslim and non-Muslim, later adopting the horse and arms, becoming a major actor in the bison hunt.

After many conquests and ascent to lordship over the tribes of the steppes, in 1757, the daughter of the Marabout, Lalla Fatima-Wabigwani (known by Moorish contemporaries as the “Kahina of the New World,”) began writing letters on behalf of the Iron Confederacy and her father, known simply as “the Marabout,” in the name of the Cacique Nizam of His Sacredness the Sultan and Miramolinus in Arabic to citizens of the republic in the northern province of Bayouk, encouraging the Muslims to remove elements of modernism and republicanism from their practices, and to return to the “natural orders” of the Sufis and marabouts.

Referring to an indigenous governance-concept – the Cacique Nizam, or Order – as “order of orders,” the letters of Lalla Fatima-Wabigwani reflect an atypical literacy on the part of her father, this mystic marabout about whom little historical facts are clear. Traditionally seen as an ageing mad medicineman by Moorish historiographers, much evidence points to the likelihood of his being a Mudéjar judge from the north that fell from favour following the establishment of the republic, subsequently joining up with the remaining Baywani zawiyas in the steppes before the gradual dominance of the modernists in the Umayyad Madrassa over New World Islam at the end of the 17th century.

After many military campaigns, the Marabout died in 1759, and military control over the Nizam was given to Lalla Fatima-Wabigwani’s maternal grandfather, who had since become the cacique, and was proclaimed “Wali” over the Cacique Nizam, as the women of the Adite tribes were much less politically involved than their eastern and southern counterparts. The Lalla continued, however, to act as the spiritual mother of the dervish state, enjoying much popularity amongst the religiously illiterate, folkloric and syncretic tribal societies of the steppes as a sort of reincarnation of the daughter of the prophet, the Lalla sharing the same name as the venerated daughter, as well as being the only child, and mother of the grandsons of the Marabout.

The death of the wali a year later in1760 would see Sheikh Abbes, the Lalla’s son by a chieftain of the Iron Confederacy, assume his grandfather’s political role as Wali, or deputy of the Saadian sultan, as well as his mother’s role as spiritual leader of the Jilani order of the Nizam. While the Lalla maintained immense popularity, historians often see the assumption of religious authority of Sheikh Abbes from his mother as the result of careful negotiations to ally with the traditionalist Malikites of Kahoqiya and the Saadian dynasty’s supporters, who would demand the soothsaying “sorceress” retreat into purdah, and allowing her son, Sheikh Abbes ben Yasin bin Mistawasis Al Dhahri (the dynasty, known as “Jilanid” due to Sheikh Abbes’s maternal grandfather being a shariffan descendant of the Jilanis, is also known as “Dhahrid,” often by Moorish historians, who sought to debate Sheikh Abbes’s claim to the title “moulay” and other shariffan honours due to his mother, and not his father, being a descendant of the Prophet – “dhahriya,” or progeny, being the Arabic term used to compensate those descants of the Prophet through their mothers, but not their fathers, and those excluded from the titles shariff, sayyid and moulay, or shariffa, sayyida and lalla) to be recognised by the Saadian sultan, who had fled his confinement in Mahdia, to be proclaimed the Shaykh al-Islam and as his deputy in the established sultanate at Kahoqiya.

Seven years later in 1767, the dervish forces of Sheikh Abbes of the Cacique Nizam invaded the Republic of Bayouk, going so far as to destroy the provincial capital of the emirate of Baduqa in the northeast of Bayouk. Sheikh Abbes’s forces attempted to push further into Bayouk, however were dealt a timely defeat by the republican armies in upper Bayouk at the Battle of Dioun in in 1769. As they controlled Kahoqiya, Sheikh Abbes reinstituted and enforced practices such as use of the calumet in syncretic meditations of dhikr, offering prayers to saintly figures, making pilgrimages to tombs and special mosques, venerating groves, trees and other natural phenomena, and burned entire librairies of Zahirid and secular sciences, shutting down the Atlantean schools, as well as famously destroying the great printing press of Kahoqiya.

Decline of absolute lordship
The end of the Ottoman Revolution and the Sultanic Wars in the Old World in 1770 would allow the Republic to focus its full efforts on the dervish invasion and northern mutiny. The task of weakening the grip of the Cacique Nizam was given to the powerful Chief Eunuch of the Diwan, Allayaton (his neo-Carthaginian name chosen especially by the first shophet himself) Pasha Yaaqoub, who had been the chief confidante of the first shophet of the republic, Seifeddine bin Ahmed bin Soufiane Al Hafsi. A subsaharan slave born in Bornu, bought by a Virginian on Somers Isle and resold in New York and a native anglophone, he had entered into the Diwan of the first shophet, and commanded an extensive network of spies throughout the republic. He had been responsible for significant diplomatic and spy victories in the Meditteranean campagins of Bayouk during the Ottoman Revolution, and, in 1771, successfully carried out the assassination of Sheikh Abbas, dealing a significant blow to the dervishists, resulting two years later in the collapse of the Cacique Nizam in 1773.

The leader of the Cacique Nizam’s brother, Sheikh Ali, seeing his days numbered, kidnapped the Saadian sultan’s son and, along with other senior advisors and leaders of the Cacique Nizam, fled Kahoqiya to the Far North, before the forces of Allayaton Pasha expelled the dervish warriors, commencing the Moorish Civil War between the republican armies of Mahdia, and the Moors of Kahoqiya sympathetic to the pro-Saadian cause of the Cacique Nizam. In the Far North, the remnants of the Nizam gathered with their allies amongst the syncretic tribes near Methye Portage (known as Al Dioloqos Al Kibra Methiyya, or just Dioloqos in Arabic hence the name “Grand Dioloqos”) in 1776 and established the Second Cacique Nizam, where they would come into contact with British expeditions of Peter Pond from the Hudson Bay Company two years later in 1778. From the end of the 18th century, the Cacique Nizam would both challenge British expeditions into the Far North and northwest of the continent, as well as serve as useful bargaining positions as relations between the Anglo-Dutch and Moors continued to decline due to Anglo-Moorish rivalry in the Meditteranean and on the high seas.

The first Cacique Nizam, however, after its failure, played the important role in securing northern independence of Kahoqiya from Bayouk, as the Peace of Hassinay, held in the inland city of the neutral Kadwani Confederacy in 1781 (which opted to remain in the Republic, seeing the removal of the northerners as greatly influencing their ability to extract a special status) saw the end of the Moorish Civil War and the establishment of the Sultanate of Kahoqiya in the provinces of Kahoqiya, Kofitashekiya, Kaliza and Meshemal, as well as to the steppes north of the Ghofaina and Northern Ghofaina rivers (the northern traditional boundary of the Kadwani confederacy) and east and north of the Great Basin, effectively forming a buffer between the Republic and dervishism of the Cacique Nizam, and turning the one-time allies of the Saadian sultanate and and the dervish state into bitter enemies when the descendants of the kidnapped Saadian prince, raised in the wildness of the forests and portages of the Far North amongst the syncretic tribes and senior dervish leaders, would attempt to reassert his rights to Kahoqiya, beginning a little over half a century later.

TheFirstDervishState.png

Wow! and Wow! I can't believe I missed this TL when it started...I supposed the reference to "Atlantis" stopped me from reading the first post to see what this was really about.

This is one of the most detailed, varied, and fully realized TLs regarding an alternate history of both the old and new worlds on this board. Essam, please accept my belated congratulations! I might quibble about some of the Arabic transliterations of Native American names and sites (Cahokia is one, since we have no idea what the actual inhabitants of the city called it) but these are minor. I particularly love the way you are writing the TL entirely from the perspective of people from the TL, and not getting all hung-up on spoon feeding people with the exact PoDs or a 30,000 foot view as an all-knowing writer. Also, in my opinion, the juxtaposition of novelistic vignettes with faux-historical accounts is the best way any alternate history is told. Frankly, the thing becomes an even more fascinating mystery for the reader if you'd not included the footnotes to clarify your some of your place names in OTL terms, but I suppose we need that to some extent. This is really worth being published...and I mean really published by a real publisher and sold in a real bookstore, not just on line or self produced.

I am most definitely a follower.

Wow.

A syncretic Order arising as a backlash to emerging New World republicanism Islam? And actually winning a state of their own!? (well, sort of..) :eek:

North America, how different have you become. Wonder what shall happen to the Sioux now though, and the Pacific Northwest; With the newly emerging rivalry between Bayouk and the Dervishes, I wouldn't be surprised to see more westward/northward expansion to check each other's paths.

Love the language diversity and its evolution in Bayouk. That, and along with the evolution of republican institutions, state-formation, and religious and Atlantean cultural influences is really getting interesting, especially now that Bayouk has went from an oversea colony to basically having their own. The split between Western and Eastern Islam is going to be fascinating since it won't be so cut and dry given Bayouk's Pacific access to *Indonesia. Great work again Essam.:)

I think there are some things that pass on within civilisationally speaking, no matter how far removed they are from the culture of origin. Despite their geographic and increasing sociopolitical and cultural differences, the Moorish New World remains an Arabic-language dominated Muslim society and I feel, as such, minority ethnolinguistic groups and identities (despite linguistic Arabization, i.e. Atlanteans) would be maintained. Bayouk's overseas adventures will be merely just a phase of history, but with serious "right time, right place" impacts as the Egypt update highlights.

Zireael said:
Uh, I'm not good on the Ottomans/Sublime Porte so I'll skip commenting on that.

I like the Atlantean calligraphy, though!

I've noticed there is no French Revolution in this TL, judging by the fact that Louis XVI still lives in 1805. Trying to figure out how the British monarchs fit... I guess Anne lived longer than in OTL, then was succeeded by her sister Mary, who married William of Orange as in OTL, then they had kids (which they didn't have IOTL...). Right?

I love the language map!

No French Revolution yet, correct; and the British monarchy has evolved through Anne having a daughter (Mary III) who marries Prince John William Friso of Orange-Nassau, Stadtholder of Friesland in 1709.

Thank you for the compliments! I wish I was artistic enough to bring such calligraphy to life, but alas. Perhaps this is part of TTL's literary charm, the imagination each reader can have in his or her mind :eek:

Can'tRememberUsername said:
This is such a great History you have created. Just finished reading the whole thing, start to finish. Keep up the good work.

Oh and if you could somehow create Muslim Maori, that'd be great.

Very glad to have gotten new members of the community even a year and a half after it started! The Maori may go the way of the Tavantine Empire ITTL, actually

Jonathan Edelstein said:
It actually looks like there will be a more-or-less continuous belt of Islamic culture, at least if the Muslim-ruled Indian states are counted. In the long run, this will mean that, despite the split into East and West, the conflicts between traditional and emerging politics and theology will play out everywhere. Persia won't be able to insulate itself, but then again, neither will Egypt or Bayouk. I expect that the balance between republicanism and anti-republicanism will be fluid for some time, as will the various theological doctrines and definitions of lordship that develop within and around the republics.

This is really amazing stuff as always. A question about language: Is the Arabic dialect of the Jewish Marches similar to OTL Judeo-Arabic with Hebrew and Ladino elements?

There has been the circumambulation of the globe by Muslim societies at this point ITTL, yes, so a more fluid exchange is likely to take place/be taking place as we see already. Republicanism as any ideology or concept will develop itself, not only in Bayouk, but mean something slightly different in every society. At its core, it will remain a modernist challenge to traditional Dynastic Autocrat+Ivory Tower Ulema method of rule. This will play out great for some, interesting for others, and probably poor for yet others.

RE: Arabic in the Jewish Marches, I see why not. Perhaps you could explore it with a guest update on the Marches circa the dawn of the 19th century? I already imagining the Marches expanding either formally, or informally via Jewish westward migration into Pimeria and reaching the Sea of Cortes rather early on. Will we see a Jewish Hawaii?

zoomar said:
Wow! and Wow! I can't believe I missed this TL when it started...I supposed the reference to "Atlantis" stopped me from reading the first post to see what this was really about.

This is one of the most detailed, varied, and fully realized TLs regarding an alternate history of both the old and new worlds on this board. Essam, please accept my belated congratulations! I might quibble about some of the Arabic transliterations of Native American names and sites (Cahokia is one, since we have no idea what the actual inhabitants of the city called it) but these are minor. I particularly love the way you are writing the TL entirely from the perspective of people from the TL, and not getting all hung-up on spoon feeding people with the exact PoDs or a 30,000 foot view as an all-knowing writer. Also, in my opinion, the juxtaposition of novelistic vignettes with faux-historical accounts is the best way any alternate history is told. Frankly, the thing becomes an even more fascinating mystery for the reader if you'd not included the footnotes to clarify your some of your place names in OTL terms, but I suppose we need that to some extent. This is really worth being published...and I mean really published by a real publisher and sold in a real bookstore, not just on line or self produced.

I am most definitely a follower.

At the end of the day, AH is literature first and foremost and so I like to focus on developing and watching the TL grow (I'll admit, this TL still has no end-point or goal in my mind or my drafts, and I've never written more than 2 updates in advance of the ones I post. I think my pauses in writing reflect this natural "writer's bloc.") I'm glad this doesn't take away from your literary pleasure in the TL. Your appreciation really means a lot.

Welcome :)

sketchdoodle said:
Wow.

A syncretic Order arising as a backlash to emerging New World republicanism Islam? And actually winning a state of their own!? (well, sort of..)

North America, how different have you become. Wonder what shall happen to the Sioux now though, and the Pacific Northwest; With the newly emerging rivalry between Bayouk and the Dervishes, I wouldn't be surprised to see more westward/northward expansion to check each other's paths.

I would say the Cacique Order is more of an anti-state emergence than a state. Although, that's not to say they won't transform into a state in their eternal quest to be a bane in modernism and republicanism and "states'" existence in the Muslim New World.

I think the Cacique Nizam and the emergence of the Sultanate of Kahoqiya as a separate state limit northern and western expansion mainly to the Cacique Nizam, Kahoqiya and the British (and the Russians?) It will be interesting how those powers develop relative to other Pacific Northwest indigenous nations, as well as the Muslim societies in the Californias that are more and more distinct from the rest of Bayouk due to a different immigrant source. With so many distractions in the Old World and the northern rebellion, it really depends on which tendency takes hold of the Republic following the Moorish Civil War to decide where and what will be the Republic's focus to decide the fate and futures of Moorish California.

Soverihn said:
Essam you never fail to disappoint

Massive appreciation to you, one of my first readers. Its more motivation than I could ask for. Merci beaucoup.

Bonne lecture !