Merrily We Roll Along: A Post-1969 History of Looney Tunes

Yes. I even have an idea for Chuck Jones going full Katzenberg on Warner Animation and founding Ruby Spears with the eponymous HB Veterans. Cause honestly, there could be some folk who think that the punishment for Penny's accusations was a little too extreme.
I'm afraid that would result in another retcon for the timeline, as it was already established that the extra competition from WB, Universal, Columbia, and even Disney meant that Hanna-Barbera had to cut down their quantity and make what remains of Ruby-Spears into HB properties.

I'm afraid that would result in another retcon for the timeline, as it was already established that the extra competition from WB, Universal, Columbia, and even Disney meant that Hanna-Barbera had to cut down their quantity and make what remains of Ruby-Spears into HB properties.
That's a chance I'm looking to take! Maybe we have Mariott get into the broadcast business to give this matrix marketing idea a whirl.

What year are we at right now ITTL?

Because I feel like WB would still be repackaging older cartoons for network TV or doing occasional specials with the LT gang by now. Right?

I ask because I feel like they'd still update the intro to their anthology package for network TV at least once every few years.

60's OTL

80's OTL

90's OTL

We're just finishing up 1978 RN. And yes, they would be updated on occasion.

Check into reader mode and catch up if you wish.

I have a feeling that the character designs that WB used on merchandise in the 70s and 80s IOTL were closer to Friz Freleng's style. Or maybe McKimson's.

I grew up more with the character designs they've used since the early 90's IOTL. I'm pretty sure it was Darrel van Citters who did the update at the time. But I'm sure someone who worked with him at WB would know for sure.

1978/1979 - Bill Cosby Leaves WB

Bill Cosby and Warner Part Ways - The New York Times, January 1979​

In a significant development today, Bill Cosby is set to part ways with Warner Bros. by quarter's end. The decision to sever ties with Cosby following a wave of allegations leveled against the actor and comedian by numerous women. Among those speaking out against Cosby is Penelope Koshkin, a former victim of sexual harassment under Chuck Jones, who has been a vocal critic of Cosby's alleged actions.

"I cannot in good conscience continue to be associated with someone who has been accused of such heinous acts," said Koshkin, reflecting the sentiments of many within Warner Bros. "It is incumbent upon all of us to stand against sexual violence in all its forms."

Cosby has vehemently denied the allegations against him and has gone so far as to accuse his accusers, many of whom are white, of targeting him because of his race. “It’s a witch hunt,” he stated bluntly. “They wanna tear the black man down.” As of now, the courts have thrown out the case due to the lack of evidence, and the uncertainty in motives as raised by Cosby.

One immediate consequence of this situation is the cancellation of Cosby's long-running animated series under Warner Bros., "Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids.” However, this will not spell the end for the junkyard clique, as Cosby has retained the rights to the characters and intends to shop them around to other producers.

~~~

I finally got this done after three months. The bombshell to end 1978, even if this is technically 1979. Thanks to @Spooner The Trinity for helping me to de-AI the article, and I added some of my own contributions as well.

And for a TLDR, Cosby is out at WB, largely because his heinous acts come to light a lot earlier than IOTL, with sexual assault also being a much more hot-button issue thanks to the Jones fiasco. However, Cosby plays the race card to get himself out of trouble, and in the process has manage to muddy the waters in a previously black and white situation. “Support Cosby? Then clearly you support sexual assault! Support WB? Then clearly you’re a racist!” For a time there’s no winner here, though- spoiler alert- this fortunately doesn’t last long.

Also, one last major retcon- instead of starting at Filmation before switching to WB, Fat Albert is a WB show the whole way through, thanks to Cosby’s existing prior relationship to WB even IOTL with his records. However, the upcoming SECOND Fat Albert series that Cosby’s making with his characters that he owns WILL be made at Filmation, to compensate.​

Bill Cosby and Warner Part Ways - The New York Times, January 1979​

In a significant development today, Bill Cosby is set to part ways with Warner Bros. by quarter's end. The decision to sever ties with Cosby following a wave of allegations leveled against the actor and comedian by numerous women. Among those speaking out against Cosby is Penelope Koshkin, a former victim of sexual harassment under Chuck Jones, who has been a vocal critic of Cosby's alleged actions.

"I cannot in good conscience continue to be associated with someone who has been accused of such heinous acts," said Koshkin, reflecting the sentiments of many within Warner Bros. "It is incumbent upon all of us to stand against sexual violence in all its forms."

Cosby has vehemently denied the allegations against him and has gone so far as to accuse his accusers, many of whom are white, of targeting him because of his race. “It’s a witch hunt,” he stated bluntly. “They wanna tear the black man down.” As of now, the courts have thrown out the case due to the lack of evidence, and the uncertainty in motives as raised by Cosby.

One immediate consequence of this situation is the cancellation of Cosby's long-running animated series under Warner Bros., "Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids.” However, this will not spell the end for the junkyard clique, as Cosby has retained the rights to the characters and intends to shop them around to other producers.
Question: Is Fat Albert pulled from CBS in midseason, at the end of the season, or does it still air after the 1979 season begins like IOTL, albeit in reruns?
Also, this is my first post on the site, hi!

Last edited:
Question: Is Fat Albert pulled from CBS in midseason, at the end of the season, or does it still air after the 1979 season begins like IOTL, albeit in reruns?
Pulled at the end and replaced with the Filmation show, may air reruns after the Filmation show ends its run of new episodes, alternating between repeats of the last WB season and the Filmation show. But come the 1980 season, no more.
Also, this is my first post on the site, hi!
Hello!