Marshall Plan extended to Latin America?

Yes, ES makes one of his rare forays into post-1900.

So, I've been reading a history of Mexico and it got me wondering about how Mexico could be a major player in the post-war world. Then I recalled that Mexico, as well as Brazil and several other Latin American nations, fought with the Allies in WW2.

The Marshall Plan, of course, was designed to keep as much of Europe as possible in the US sphere, and away from the Soviets. Latin America, however, had its own problems with Cold War power struggles. So, how about an equivalent for those countries south of the Rio Grande. I can't imagine it drawing as much funding as Western Europe, but perhaps just enough to keep the lives of the poorest from being as quite as shit as they've typically been.

Also, said money would probably be focused on those countries considered most important to the US, such as Mexico, Cuba, Panama, Brazil and Argentina.

Any thoughts?

IIRC, this was the general plan for JFK's 'Alliance for Progress'. Unfortunately, it didn't get anywhere near the amount of resources that the Marshall Plan did, and it was eventually discontinued as supporting Latin American strongmen became both less expensive and more lucrative for American interests in the region.

The Alliance policy had been reversed by 1963 due to the lack of talented leaders in Latin America. Don't let mythology promulgated by RFK and his entourage (who knew they were lying through their teeth) against LBJ after the Dominican intervention let you think otherwise. ;)

Have the Nazis take over continental Europe after WWII and engage a cold war with the US so the Americans will have all the money that wasn't used on Europe and could use it to build up Latin American economies instead. I think there would be less Anti-Americanism in Latin America and overall better public perception of the USA.