Status
Not open for further replies.
Something small I felt compelled to throw together for my Map TL Bring Me Men To Match My Mountains.

Wyoming.png

comparison.png

#2k16BestDrawingSkillz

(Same projection, btw)

Anyways, moar Anschluss images:
subdivisions_teaser1.png

((Drowning in self-deprecacy and self-mocking skillz))
Yah,Yah...

Last edited:
I'll never say that Russians lack humor ever again.
Deal. We will monitor the implementation of your promises.

I found it quite easy to read! The only confusing bit was Highfolland's 'disgusting' relationship with Great Albion. Does this mean that the two are disgusted with each other or that the relationship itself is disgusting?

Great work on this map series! It was very well thought out and great fun to follow.
Thank you! I am very pleased that the text is easy to read.
I do not quite understand your question. Highfolland and Albion do not get along with each other due to Land of Vancouver. Their attitude mutually bad.

Last edited:

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
comparison.png

#2k16BestDrawingSkillz

(Same projection, btw)

Anyways, moar Anschluss images:
subdivisions_teaser1.png

((Could this guy stop disturbing us by posting unfinished versions of his shitty map? I hate it, please only post it one more time, and that's when you're finished, you f0kin idiot.))
Yah,Yah...
Oops, wrong.

If someone is actually violating the Board's policies, report it.

Otherwise, deal with it or walk away.

Deal. We will monitor the implementation of your promises.

Thank you! I am very pleased that the text is easy to read.
I do not quite understand your question. Highfolland and Albion do not get along with each other due to Land of Vancouver. Their attitude mutually bad.

Let's start with the sentence you wrote.

"The disgusting relationship with the Great Albion due to land of Vancouver."

In the first place, this is a sentence fragment. In English you must never, EVER have a sentence without a verb. In this case, you would use a conjugation of "to be," like "is," "was," or "has been." here are some suggestions:

"The relationship between it and Great Albion is disgusting due to the land of Vancouver."
"There is a disgusting relationship between it and Great Albion due to the land of Vancouver."
"It has a disgusting relationship with Great Albion due to the land of Vancouver"

(Since we are talking about countries, you can use either "it" or "them" as the pronoun. Until the early 20th century, you would often read articles referring to countries as "she" or "her," but this is now considered an old manner of speech.)

Now, these example sentences are both grammatical, but they are still awkward from a native speaker's perspective. Let's break down the original sentence:

"The disgusting relationship with the Great Albion due to land of Vancouver"

The topic of the sentence is "relationship." The sentence is talking about a relationship, and all the things in this sentence are describing the relationship.

The first modifier to "relationship" is "disgusting," which is an awkward way to put it. In English, the only way a relationship could be disgusting if there were two people at a party kissing too passionately and slobbering over each other so that everyone else is uncomfortable. You need to use a different word, like "hostile," "unfriendly," or "antagonistic."

The second modifier is "the," which lets the reader know that there is only one relationship. The rules over whether to use the definite article "the" or the indefinite "a" are complex, but in this type of construction you have two main choices:

"the relationship is hostile"
"a hostile relationship [exists between them]"

The brackets in the second one are added because by itself it's a sentence fragment.

The third modifier is "with the Great Albion." In English some country names have "the" in front of it while others don't. You say "The United Kingdom" or you say "Great Britain." You say "France" or you say "The French Republic." You say "Russia" or you say "The Russian Federation." The long form of country names usually has the form of government as the topic and the name of the country itself as the descriptor, so you have to use "the," while the short form of country names are just names so you wouldn't use "the." There are weird exceptions like The Bahamas and The Gambia, and in the early '90s you would sometimes hear "The Ukraine" instead of just "Ukraine," but let's ignore those for now because they're confusing.

Firstly, whenever you use "The" in a country's name, you have to capitalize it, because it is part of the name itself. Same thing for book titles, (unusual) people's names, and other proper nouns. In most cases, though, people probably won't notice if you break this rule.

Secondly, the construction only makes sense if "Albion" is a type of government and "Great" is the description of that particular Albion. Since I don't think that's what you're going for, the proper phrasing is "with Great Albion" with no "the."

You can use "with" or "between" in this construction, but I prefer "between" because "with" has a mildly positive connotation in my mind.

Now, the fourth modifier is the phrase "due to land of Vancouver." In this case, if you say "land of," you need to use "the," since "land" is the topic and "of Vancouver" is the descriptor. However, if you say "land of [country name]" it sounds overly fancy and kind of old-fashioned. You never use it in real life unless speaking to someone who has never, ever heard of it. Instead, you would use a more technical term, like "territory" or "island." It would also help to use "disputed," since that clarifies why this territory causes two countries to be hostile to one another. So you have something like:

"due to the disputed territory of Vancouver"
"over the disputed territory of Vancouver"
"due to the disputed Vancouver Territory"
"over (the) Vancouver Territory, which is disputed"

"due to" and "over" in this sentence construction can be used interchangeably, as in "fighting over something" or "fighting due to something." "Over" sounds more natural, but there's nothing really wrong with "due to."

So when you put all these together, you have a sentence like this:

"A hostile relationship exists between it and Great Albion over the disputed territory of Vancouver."

Personally, I would remove the word "relationship" and simplify:

"There is hostility between it and Great Albion due to the disputed territory of Vancouver."

I changed "over" to "due to" because the topic has changed from "relationship" and "hostility," and "due to" sounds better in my mind when that is the case. Again, there is nothing wrong with using "over" instead.

I hope you found this explanation helpful!

Let's start with the sentence you wrote.

In the first place, this is a sentence fragment. In English you must never, EVER have a sentence without a verb. In this case, you would use a conjugation of "to be," like "is," "was," or "has been." here are some suggestions:

"The relationship between it and Great Albion is disgusting due to the land of Vancouver."
"There is a disgusting relationship between it and Great Albion due to the land of Vancouver."
"It has a disgusting relationship with Great Albion due to the land of Vancouver"

(Since we are talking about countries, you can use either "it" or "them" as the pronoun. Until the early 20th century, you would often read articles referring to countries as "she" or "her," but this is now considered an old manner of speech.)

Now, these example sentences are both grammatical, but they are still awkward from a native speaker's perspective. Let's break down the original sentence:

"The disgusting relationship with the Great Albion due to land of Vancouver"

The topic of the sentence is "relationship." The sentence is talking about a relationship, and all the things in this sentence are describing the relationship.

The first modifier to "relationship" is "disgusting," which is an awkward way to put it. In English, the only way a relationship could be disgusting if there were two people at a party kissing too passionately and slobbering over each other so that everyone else is uncomfortable. You need to use a different word, like "hostile," "unfriendly," or "antagonistic."

The second modifier is "the," which lets the reader know that there is only one relationship. The rules over whether to use the definite article "the" or the indefinite "a" are complex, but in this type of construction you have two main choices:

"the relationship is hostile"
"a hostile relationship [exists between them]"

The brackets in the second one are added because by itself it's a sentence fragment.

The third modifier is "with the Great Albion." In English some country names have "the" in front of it while others don't. You say "The United Kingdom" or you say "Great Britain." You say "France" or you say "The French Republic." You say "Russia" or you say "The Russian Federation." The long form of country names usually has the form of government as the topic and the name of the country itself as the descriptor, so you have to use "the," while the short form of country names are just names so you wouldn't use "the." There are weird exceptions like The Bahamas and The Gambia, and in the early '90s you would sometimes hear "The Ukraine" instead of just "Ukraine," but let's ignore those for now because they're confusing.

Firstly, whenever you use "The" in a country's name, you have to capitalize it, because it is part of the name itself. Same thing for book titles, (unusual) people's names, and other proper nouns. In most cases, though, people probably won't notice if you break this rule.

Secondly, the construction only makes sense if "Albion" is a type of government and "Great" is the description of that particular Albion. Since I don't think that's what you're going for, the proper phrasing is "with Great Albion" with no "the."

You can use "with" or "between" in this construction, but I prefer "between" because "with" has a mildly positive connotation in my mind.

Now, the fourth modifier is the phrase "due to land of Vancouver." In this case, if you say "land of," you need to use "the," since "land" is the topic and "of Vancouver" is the descriptor. However, if you say "land of [country name]" it sounds overly fancy and kind of old-fashioned. You never use it in real life unless speaking to someone who has never, ever heard of it. Instead, you would use a more technical term, like "territory" or "island." It would also help to use "disputed," since that clarifies why this territory causes two countries to be hostile to one another. So you have something like:

"due to the disputed territory of Vancouver"
"over the disputed territory of Vancouver"
"due to the disputed Vancouver Territory"
"over (the) Vancouver Territory, which is disputed"

"due to" and "over" in this sentence construction can be used interchangeably, as in "fighting over something" or "fighting due to something." "Over" sounds more natural, but there's nothing really wrong with "due to."

So when you put all these together, you have a sentence like this:

"A hostile relationship exists between it and Great Albion over the disputed territory of Vancouver."

Personally, I would remove the word "relationship" and simplify:

"There is hostility between it and Great Albion due to the disputed territory of Vancouver."

I changed "over" to "due to" because the topic has changed from "relationship" and "hostility," and "due to" sounds better in my mind when that is the case. Again, there is nothing wrong with using "over" instead.

I hope you found this explanation helpful!

Thank you very much for the detailed answer! I shall try to follow these rules in the future.

I realize that people will take zoomed-in snips of larger world maps as a short cut, which often distorts north-south lines -- sometimes by quite a bit. As a map geek, this bothers me somewhat, but I usually shrug it off.

But, dude. Wyoming is a rectangle, not a slanted parallelogram.

Not in the Q-BAM's projection it isn't.

Not in the Q-BAM's projection it isn't.

In real life, Wyoming is a rectangle. Maps should try to accurately reflect that. When dealing with large scale maps, distortion is inevitable. Thus, in QBAMs (and the like) it will slant. And that's fine for worldwide maps.

But when zooming in, a decent map should try to eliminate that distortion. In many cases, it's not as noticeable and I understand the need for short cuts.

But Wyoming is a rectangle with right angles. And a parallelogram looks *weird*.

In real life, Wyoming is a rectangle. Maps should try to accurately reflect that. When dealing with large scale maps, distortion is inevitable. Thus, in QBAMs (and the like) it will slant. And that's fine for worldwide maps.

But when zooming in, a decent map should try to eliminate that distortion. In many cases, it's not as noticeable and I understand the need for short cuts.

But Wyoming is a rectangle with right angles. And a parallelogram looks *weird*.
That's a nice sentiment and all, but Q-BAMs exist, and I'm not going to force people to make their own maps from scratch when in EBR's case they're simply supplemental.

Status
Not open for further replies.