Status
Not open for further replies.
2000.png

just a few more little minor changes to this map

Very thorough explanation of grammar
Initially I was imagining the relationship possibly being disgusting due to some agreement between the two which disgusts the rest of the world. Now, however, I'm imagining the delegates to the alt-UN from Great Albion and Highfolland making out all the time and making all the rest of the delegates uncomfortable and unsure what to make of it.

Initially I was imagining the relationship possibly being disgusting due to some agreement between the two which disgusts the rest of the world. Now, however, I'm imagining the delegates to the alt-UN from Great Albion and Highfolland making out all the time and making all the rest of the delegates uncomfortable and unsure what to make of it.

AKA Hetalia and/or Scandinavia and the World.

I realize that people will take zoomed-in snips of larger world maps as a short cut, which often distorts north-south lines -- sometimes by quite a bit. As a map geek, this bothers me somewhat, but I usually shrug it off.

But, dude. Wyoming is a rectangle, not a slanted parallelogram.

As other people have pointed out this is from a QBAM- I don't want to totally create my own map given the difficulty of transferring original borders from one type of may to another.

View attachment 302503
just a few more little minor changes to this map
Nice map. Central American Philipines, special autonomy status for regions of Canada and the US, German dominated Europe and Vichey France*,a very bulkanzed Russia and a huge China. Plus of course the surviving Ottoman Empire? Can't wait to learn the backstory for this.

Edit: didint you upload a QBam version of this zomin essay in on America exclusively?

Last edited:
Damn non-Euclidean geometries, they'll drive you mad, I tell you!
Fun fact: in positively curved space, the sum of the angles in a triangle will always exceed 180 degrees. (and less than 180 in negatively curved space, like reality when you take time into account :D )

EDIT: Ignore the previous edit; but to be clear: reality is negatively curved but it is 4 dimensional, so only the 4 dimensional equivalent of a triangle (a "4 simplex" or "pentachoron") will have the sum-of-angles-being-smaller thing necessarily. But the triangle thing still works if you have it on a 2 dimensional thingy with negative curvature. Think about a triangle drawn on top of a saddle, for example.

Last edited:
A commission by TenaciousVulpine over on DeviantArt, who provided most of the backstory, for the world of Dr. Who's "Inferno" circa 1974, shortly before the surface of the planet is rendered molten by uncontrolled and uncontrollable release of Stahlman's gas from beneath the Earth's crust. Kudos to The Gunslinger, who inspired the GEACPS in this map.

This is a world where various forms of right-wing authoritarianism has become the dominant mode of government, with the Russian Whites winning out in the Civil War, the US going Technocratic in the Great Depression and Britain going Fascist (they don't call it that, "Fascism" is an _Italian_ thing) and eventually liquidating the Royals. Japan never invaded China proper but simply played off the factions of a more fragmented Kuomintang against eachother and managed to establish it's Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere on a more voluntary basis.

Adolph Hitler arose as OTL, but the better relations between Fascist Britain and White Russia meant that he never got a chance to overrun Europe: he ran out of Cunning Plans at a critical point and was taken down by Britain, Russia, and Italy. Germany was broken up into smaller states, but it is slowly reforming as a loose federation under British protection, which is souring British-Russian relations.

There was something of a British-Russian-American-Japanese cold war by the late 1950s, all powers having developed atomic weapons and their own spheres of interest, but the fear of nuclear destruction eventually led to the formation of an international "super cabinet" called the Conclave to prevent another world war from breaking out. The British alliance system, the American Confederation (the US, after a "rational, scientific" reformation, which really wasn't) and Japan with the GEACPS tend to dominate: India is still relatively weak militarily and economically, and Russia has lagged behind of late (the legacy of Stalin, who went into right-wing rather than left-wing politics in this world: Russia is good at repression but also frightfully corrupt and a mismanaged economy).

Conclave members all accept the need for unity to prevent atomic war in the face of unrest and an increasingly unmanageable colonial and ex-colonial world, but that doesn't mean they _like_ each other, and a certain amount of competition and points-scoring goes on all the time (Japan and the North Americans particularly dislike eachother).

It's a more authoritarian and repressive world than OTL (admittedly, much of Japanese-dominated Asia is better off than the Mao-dominated China of our 1974), with even democratic neutrals in Europe such as Switzerland and the Low Countries tending to be dominated by reactionary, right-wing parties. (At least in part due to the intolerance of the major powers for left wing democracy.). On the (small) positive side, the air is generally a bit cleaner and less radioactive than OTL 1974: both British and Russian forms of authoritarianism have a pro-wilderness streak, and no major power is as insanely unconcerned about putting crap into the environment as OTL's USSR. The nuclear arms race didn't run out of control as long as OTL, and underground nuclear testing was universally adopted early on.

The existence of Free Africa (a result of the French, in one of their revolutionary periods, dumping much of their Empire, and a cash-strapped Britain dropping some of their more troublesome colonies) is a bit of a thorn in the sides of the major powers, along with Australia's stubborn support of old-fashioned democracy: although, lacking superpower protectors, the independent Africans and Arabs generally stick to rhetorical denunciations of Conclave colonial and semi-colonial practices, they still form, like Haiti to slave states in the 1800s, an ideological threat by simply existing. Talk arises now and again about bringing Free Africa firmly under Conclave control, but this would be bloody, expensive, and nobody can agree as to who gets what bit.

Fortunately, the Africans and others struggling against repression will not need to struggle much longer. Britain's power comes from being the leader of a coalition rather than individual national size and population like Russia or the American Confederation or even India (heck, Japan alone is rather a lot more populous than GB) and that coalition is always at risk of fraying. It's leadership plans to leap ahead with the White Heat of Technology, with alien tech it has kept secret, and with an unlimited new power source draw from beneath the planetary crust. And what of those who warn of uncertain risks? Well, if they get too annoying there are always the camps or the simple bullet to the back of the head.

In some ways this world is more technologically advanced than OTL, notably in space travel, thanks to the capture of three alien space ships in Wales, 1959. As part of the formation of the Conclave, a united space program was formed, and the latest ships, equipped with antigravity and atomic drives, can reach the Moon in hours and Mars in weeks: the shaky little bases thereupon will have very little time to become self-sufficient, if any humans are to survive at all.

Inferno1974.png

Isnt wyoming smaller across on the northern border than its southern border since the world is a globe? in that case it isnt a rectangle.

It's a rectangle in elliptic geometry.

Yep, I almost included something like that in my original post, but I thought: "Nah, they'll know what I mean."

That said, I did specifically and purposefully include the word 'slanted' to describe the parallelogram, because had I not, someone would have definitely said "But a rectangle *is* a parallelogram."

That's a nice sentiment and all, but Q-BAMs exist, and I'm not going to force people to make their own maps from scratch when in EBR's case they're simply supplemental.

As other people have pointed out this is from a QBAM- I don't want to totally create my own map given the difficulty of transferring original borders from one type of may to another.

I completely understand. Life is busy, priorities are chosen. To make all the maps we want, short cuts are often taken. And I'm totally good with that.

But I like to encourage quality map making, including choosing a proper projection. So, on occasion, such as a significantly slanted Wyoming, I will politely declare "But, dude..."

This also goes for Colorado. ...And short, stubby Greenlands.

Status
Not open for further replies.