Map Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's always good to see an Estonian AH! A few corrections to your text:

"The Üdassi" should be "Üdassid", as ethnic groups are always in plural.

"extinct people" should be "väljasurnud rahvas" (the word "inimene" is closer in usage to the word "human").

"in twenty years" should be "kahekümne aasta pärast" (literally "twenty years after")

The end is pretty decent, but in this kind of sentences "you" is moved after the predicate for emphasis. So "mida teed sina, et aidata" ("sina" is a longer form of "sa", also more appropriate in this case).
Considering I literally pulled a Google Translate, I expected to be wrong. Thank you for correcting me! And if your wondering, Imma flesh this out into a murnoesque Worlda, since I am much better with them than I am with maps like the one I made ^^

So it should say "Üdassi on väljasurnud rahvas kahekümne aasta pärast; mida teen sina, et adiata" or "The Udasi People will be an extinct people in twenty years; this is happening, what will you do?"

Deleted member 67076

How about Hudson Bay drainage basin and Greenland is taken by Denmark, the French take much of the East Coast running up to Newfoundland, the English taking it south to the tribes, which they have sway over, someone makes a stake on the Mississippi Drainage basin. With Africa, more exploration going south of the Congo Delta.

I love the Denmark idea. Definitely working that.

I'll see if I can work in English expansion in the south while still tying it into greater Mexico (and there is a reason for having the colonies so clustered together; the Valois Empire has an incredibly huge fleet that the Royal Navy simply can't keep up with, thus the closer things are the more secure the region is).

Unfortunately I can't see the French and the rest of the Valois family compact taking most of the east coast at this time. Small trading posts based on fur and whaling sure, but for things like tobacco and cotton they've got the big prizes of the Greater Antilles and Brazil, with all that prime land. Plus, its closer to their markets and other trading posts in the Indian Ocean basin.

Here's a snippet from a WIP map I'm doing, showing part of the North Central Coast; the original map I hand drew and am now in the process of manually digitizing it and making changes as I go (since I was'nt happy with the Alpha version).

Sh'teth North Coast WIP.png

Sans Entente:

Everyone loves some good old fashioned ASB's, so heres parts 1 and 2 of a new one I did on the ASB map forum.

A particularly nasty event occurs around 1905. The Entente for the most part dissappear, or at least all the directly controlled regions do. Areas of autonomy such as dominions, protectorates or duchies are not affected, but nevertheless have to adapt to a new world order.

5yBzjNQ.png

Part 2 of Sans Entente, set about 20 years later, or at least a prototype of it. So far, I'm not satisfied with the situation in Europe, and I'm really not sure what to do with China besides the territory grabs of its now defunct neighbours. Any suggestions for a redo?
cPMqmHb.png

Part 3 is upcoming, though adjustments will be made if/when any feedback is given for the last one.

Reagant's post wasn't criticism, and it was made after I sent Reagant a PM asking about better river names; a fix made because of Martin's post. I didn't ignore his post, I just didn't like how it was worded as it seemed to me to be overly-hostile and lacking in constructive criticism.

ITTL, the British settle the area around the Mississippi watershed in North America, starting near OTL New Orleans. This is due to the fact that England gaining Brazil early gave them more incentive to colonize North America, particularly a region rich for trading and close enough to keep contact with Brazil. Since the name "Mississippi" IOTL is a French rendering of the Anishinaabe (Ojibwe or Algonquin) name for the river, Misi-ziibi (Great River), the name isn't set in stone, and English settlers eventually bastardize it into a more Anglicized and pseudo-classical kind of name. Messipia, being in a good position and gaining a number of colonists with a high birth rate, quickly grows and they take over the Florida peninsula from Spain to better secure their growing control over the Caribbean Sea and Gulf of Mexico. Most of the peninsula was unsettled anyway so it was easy to take, and remains so for some time, though there are trading outposts around the outer edge and St. Augustine (renamed St. James by the Brits) remains the primary town in the peninsula.

It's a shame you won't be posting anymore, I always look forward to your maps. Well at least you'll have them in their own thread. I wish you the best in your endeavors, and only regret that I didn't give more positive and nice comments.

And hey, your under no obligation to make your maps please everyone. If everyone else is gonna make a big deal over a few rivers, well, so much the worse for them. Pickers gonna pick, what you gonna do, eh?

It is good to see progress is being made, and I look forward to seeing the final product. Say, I'm thinking of featuring some favorite maps on my blog, mind if I share yours. You'll be given full credit.

WIP of the setting of the game 80 Days in 1872. Steampunk? Vernepunk? Colonial-punk? Something like that. Mostly the same as OTL (especially because there are big stretches of the world that we have no info about), but with some differences.

80Days.png

WIP of the setting of the game 80 Days in 1872. Steampunk? Vernepunk? Colonial-punk? Something like that. Mostly the same as OTL (especially because there are big stretches of the world that we have no info about), but with some differences.
While it seems to be an interesting scenario, the map you're using is one that's out of date on here. If you head over to this thread, you'll find newer and much nicer versions of that basemap that allow for a greater amount of detail. :)

While it seems to be an interesting scenario, the map you're using is one that's out of date on here. If you head over to this thread, you'll find newer and much nicer versions of that basemap that allow for a greater amount of detail. :)

Those are indeed nicer and more detailed. Thank you!

Although I can only imagine what it'll be like to draw out all the member states of the Zulu Federation...

Considering I literally pulled a Google Translate, I expected to be wrong. Thank you for correcting me! And if your wondering, Imma flesh this out into a murnoesque Worlda, since I am much better with them than I am with maps like the one I made ^^

So it should say "Üdassi on väljasurnud rahvas kahekümne aasta pärast; mida teen sina, et adiata" or "The Udasi People will be an extinct people in twenty years; this is happening, what will you do?"

A few typoes, here's the corrected version: "Üdassid on väljasurnud rahvas kahekümne aasta pärast; mida teed sina, et aidata?"

Good luck with the Worlda!

So I've finished the Beta version of a map I've been doing for a Science fiction project I've been working on and off again for several years; the final version will include some more islands and lakes.

Rather than posting the full thing before it's done I figured it'd be more interesting to post a partial version of it like this.

Sh'teth North Hemisphere Globe Map Beta.png

Status
Not open for further replies.