Map Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Further, you've named a country after a region it doesn't control (India-Indus).

Any special reason you've used that base? It looks a bit like the Wikipedia one, but isn't exactly the same. It also doesn't make sense in-TL, and isn't a commonly used one on this site.

Also, why does Japan want the 'acres of snow' so much more then Sweden, China, Canada, or the natives?

I can't think of anything else to call India than India. I was under the impression that it's been a generic name for the region dating back to the spice trade.

I don't remember where I found the map originally, but I have a mess of blank maps on the hard drive, but most of those would take up several screens.

Why wouldn't Japan want it? It has more minerals and timber than the Japanese know what to do with.

Why not? It’s a coincidence, but not really an earth-shaking one. Unless the Manchu are stronger, and Japanese Korea seems to argue against that.

As late as that? Well, if they last till the 1840s the French colonies should have enough inhabitants that the British will be less than eager to swallow them, but whether they are independent, still ruled by France, or a separate kingdom (s) depends on various things, such as how well do local elites do with respect to those from the home country (the British were always rather condescending to the Colonials, and the top jobs in the Spanish colonies were reserved for Spaniards born in Spain), whether the king makes it out of France alive and whether he goes to, say, Austria or to the Americas, and what degree of sympathy there is for republican principles in the colonies. If the Canadiens are as OTL a conservative bunch, if things get bloody and aristocrat-killy, if Britain still is dickish towards France…I think Quebec, at least, is probably not going to end up as an overseas territory of a Republican France.

Well, L has already commented on that, but in any case when did the Japanese expand onto the mainland? After all, OTL Russians reached the pacific by 1647 OTL.

(Speaking of which, Russo-Swedish Empire is kinda cool, but would it work without at least one kingdom accepting a “heretic” king? Would the Swedes be cooler with an Orthodox king than the Russians with a Protestant one?)

Well, they invaded OTL, but that was to impose a French-backed monarch: making it into a French colony strikes me as rather more difficult…

Couple other thoughts:
Pol-Lithuania: so huge, must be strong enough to hold off the Russo-Swedes: why does Germany have its 1914 eastern border, a product of the partitions?
Brazilian west coast? Building the roads through the jungle and over the Andes must have been a bitch…
That straight line on the bottom of French west Africa is unlikely: it’s not cutting through empty desert or impenetrable jungle, after all.
Why have the Ottomans given up Mecca and Medina?

Bruce

Russo-Sweden was a product of the Romanovs being removed from power in the early 18th Century. A Swedish dynasty ruling Russia... that sounds like loads of fun. As for heretic, well I came up with the idea of a Swedish Orthodox Church as a means for the king to unite all his people. Yes, I know that the Swedes themselves wouldn't be thrilled, but they aren't even a majority of the population.

Brazillian Manifest Destiny. I haven't worked out the transcontinental railroad there yet, but I'm well aware of the geographic pain in the neck it'll be to build.

The reason I wonder about French Indochina is because it's a long ways from West Africa (or their 'protectorate' in Mexico) to SE Asia.

Yeah, the borders do need work.

Ah, Poland-Lithuania (and the Ottoman Empire). With the Swedes putting so much effort into ruling Russia, those two other states aren't going to get nickled-and-dimed to death like they did by a Romanov Russia.

I've shown this map before, but I'm having problems thinking of how to improve it. Or make it more realistic. (It's 1913 in case anybody wonders.)
Should France even be in Indochina?
Should Lousiana and Quebec be independent?
Or should they be a dual kingdom with the Bourbons-in-exile as their king?
France and Spain both have their monarchies toppled in the 1840s (and Spanish colonies are either independent or gobbled up by other European powers).
The Swerusso-Japanese border is sort of an undefined thing given the remote nature of the wilderness.
Would Republican France even be in a position to invade Mexico to get backs its loans?

It's good to see you revising the horrendously convergent (if very entertaining) mess that was AHN v1. Still, a few nitpicks and suggestions:
- Finland shouldn't be separate from Sweden. Without Russia taking them over, the sense of Finland as separate from Sweden likely wouldn't develop, since while Russia tacitly encouraged this (as long as it didn't involve breaking with the Tsar altogether), Sweden would propagate the idea of Finland as an integral part of Sweden, and Finnish would go the way of, say, Welsh at best or Occitan at worst.
- The Church of Sweden is never, ever going to agree to become Orthodox all of a sudden. Breaking with the Church, even if it was only a single peasant and his family doing it (as happens with Danjel in The Emigrants), was considered heresy at best and treason at worst, and was punished by deportation. Most Church officials held the deep belief that Lutheranism was the only true form of Christianity, and no Archbishop of Uppsala would ever place the crown on a head that didn't follow it.
- As you say, the French aren't likely to invade Mexico ITTL; even if they did, I fail to see them actually annexing the country. Even Napoleon III only wanted to put a loyal emperor in charge, and without his megalomaniac foreign meddling, the expedition is likely to stop at shelling Veracruz and extracting a promise to pay (IOTL, the Spanish and British pulled out at that point).
- There's no real need for Brazil to build a railway across the entire Amazon Basin; reasonably large ships (Wikipedia says 3,000-9,000 tonnes) can get as far upstream as Iquitos. After that, however, they do need to build rail across the Andes to Peru. Going to Trujillo or Chiclayo through Jaén seems like the best way of doing this.
- How do the British get to Canada if the French retain Louisiana and Quebec? I'd think at least Ontario would be French, and for that matter, so should much of the Midwest. I'd think a Wabash-Maumee line would be a far more reasonable border for the New Netherlands, especially since rapid expansion wasn't their style (they were far more mercantilistic in their colonial dealings than either the British or the French, and would likely be content with OTL New Jersey and the Hudson valley).
- Sweden should go all the way to the Pacific, since Russia had trading posts all the way across before Poltava IOTL; for borders (in Siberia and generally) you should look at geographical lines; the Stanovoi Mountains formed the border between Russia and China pre-Aigun IOTL, so they'd make sense as the TTL border. Unless, you know, you'd want Sweden to actually be able to use its coastline (Okhotsk isn't much to use in the winter).
- How does China do so well? Did they pull a Meiji?
- Same for the Mughals (which, by the way, would be awesome).
- Transvaal shouldn't be called that, since it holds land on both sides of the Vaal ITTL; the name Nieuw-Oranje makes a good deal more sense for them than it does for the state you call that, for which Zambezia might work.
- Borders in the Balkans are way too convergent. Vojvodina, in particular, should be within Austria.
- Austria would never be able to colonise. They don't have sea access except to the Mediterranean, and the British control both outlets (I can't see Gibraltar, so that may be Spanish, but it's still not likely to be Austrian).
- Moving to Worlda would also do you good. If not otherwise, then because that map is rather ugly.

it was map-excercise-time, or how i call it mapcercise-time:

Belgium in a Alternate-WW2-Nazi-Victory-Scenario:

France was beaten in WW2 but leaned after the war stronger towards Italy and southern europe, that to the nazi-dominated northern europe.
Now the time for WW3 came and the Belgian puppet state will probably annex some land in the south ... if Berlin's plans succeed.

In red the annexation-plan, in green Belgium in 1939:
1BAyk.png

EDIT: Charleroi/Karolingen now shown as capital

Last edited:
Hey, another interesting Belgium map. :)

(But I have some trouble imagining a victorious Nazi Germany ever letting France get up off its knees to the extent of becoming a threat).

Bruce

Hey, another interesting Belgium map. :)

(But I have some trouble imagining a victorious Nazi Germany ever letting France get up off its knees to the extent of becoming a threat).

Bruce

thanks, thought that they maybe would have so many problems in the east that they would give the french some freedoms ;)

The Reichskommissariat of Ukraine and its subdivisions (Generalbezirke). Volhynia-Podolia, East Volhynia, Polesia, Upper Neper (Dniepr), Lower Neper and Greuthungland were to be settled with Germans as part of the Lebensraum concept. The eastern part of Volgaland-North had already been settled by Germans in the 1700 and 1800s. They were allowed to stay to secure the border with Russia (Soviet Union). Wolgaburg (Volga Fortress) is a city on the opposite shore of where Stalingrad once stood. This city of roughly 400 000 inhabitants (all Germans) were to secure the southern part of the border. It was also constructed as a major shoe-in-the-face to the Russians.

The major cities in the east (Wolgaburg, Saratau, Astrachan etc) were connected to the Reich by enormous Autobahns and a railwork network with the German gaige width. Along the way of these roads and railroads smaller German villages and towns were constructed such as Georghalden, Gremsdorf, Neukassel, Büznow, Bachten and Weißkirchen.

The Ukrainian nationals who were not deported to Siberia or forced to serve on German farms were herded to the east. They were to reside in the Generalbezirke of Severia, Donezland, Blackland, Donland, Volgaland-South and eastern Volgaland-North. These areas were not to be Germanised, except for the capitals and other major Autobahn hubs.

Circa 1955-1960.

The next map in this universe will be one of the whole European continent, showing the current state of affairs.

reichskommissariat_ukraine_by_1blomma-d5ewf4j.jpg

Well it looks like my map is suffering from end of page syndrome.

The Prusso-French-Austrian-modern Spanish wank is now a French-Austrian-Russian wank! :) Still cool. But I would really love a version of this map with some descriptive labels: a who's who for the Americas, at least.

(How come the Ottomans don't have the Hejaz?)

Bruce

The Reichskommissariat of Ukraine and its subdivisions (Generalbezirke). Volhynia-Podolia, East Volhynia, Polesia, Upper Neper (Dniepr), Lower Neper and Greuthungland were to be settled with Germans as part of the Lebensraum concept. The eastern part of Volgaland-North had already been settled by Germans in the 1700 and 1800s. They were allowed to stay to secure the border with Russia (Soviet Union). Wolgaburg (Volga Fortress) is a city on the opposite shore of where Stalingrad once stood. This city of roughly 400 000 inhabitants (all Germans) were to secure the southern part of the border. It was also constructed as a major shoe-in-the-face to the Russians.

The major cities in the east (Wolgaburg, Saratau, Astrachan etc) were connected to the Reich by enormous Autobahns and a railwork network with the German gaige width. Along the way of these roads and railroads smaller German villages and towns were constructed such as Georghalden, Gremsdorf, Neukassel, Büznow, Bachten and Weißkirchen.

The Ukrainian nationals who were not deported to Siberia or forced to serve on German farms were herded to the east. They were to reside in the Generalbezirke of Severia, Donezland, Blackland, Donland, Volgaland-South and eastern Volgaland-North. These areas were not to be Germanised, except for the capitals and other major Autobahn hubs.

Circa 1955-1960.

The next map in this universe will be one of the whole European continent, showing the current state of affairs.

Fantastic. Might I ask how you get the hashed texture at the borders? Inkscape glitches up its pattern fills when I try to do that sort of effect.

The Prusso-French-Austrian-modern Spanish wank is now a French-Austrian-Russian wank! :) Still cool. But I would really love a version of this map with some descriptive labels: a who's who for the Americas, at least.

(How come the Ottomans don't have the Hejaz?)

Bruce

Thanks for the compliments. I don't reckon its too wanked though.

That isn't the Ottoman Empire. Its the Confederacy of Osmanlia, a republican experiment which is turning nasty fascist.

- Finland shouldn't be separate from Sweden. Without Russia taking them over, the sense of Finland as separate from Sweden likely wouldn't develop, since while Russia tacitly encouraged this (as long as it didn't involve breaking with the Tsar altogether), Sweden would propagate the idea of Finland as an integral part of Sweden, and Finnish would go the way of, say, Welsh at best or Occitan at worst.

- The Church of Sweden is never, ever going to agree to become Orthodox all of a sudden. Breaking with the Church, even if it was only a single peasant and his family doing it (as happens with Danjel in The Emigrants), was considered heresy at best and treason at worst, and was punished by deportation. Most Church officials held the deep belief that Lutheranism was the only true form of Christianity, and no Archbishop of Uppsala would ever place the crown on a head that didn't follow it.

- As you say, the French aren't likely to invade Mexico ITTL; even if they did, I fail to see them actually annexing the country. Even Napoleon III only wanted to put a loyal emperor in charge, and without his megalomaniac foreign meddling, the expedition is likely to stop at shelling Veracruz and extracting a promise to pay (IOTL, the Spanish and British pulled out at that point).

- There's no real need for Brazil to build a railway across the entire Amazon Basin; reasonably large ships (Wikipedia says 3,000-9,000 tonnes) can get as far upstream as Iquitos. After that, however, they do need to build rail across the Andes to Peru. Going to Trujillo or Chiclayo through Jaén seems like the best way of doing this.

- How do the British get to Canada if the French retain Louisiana and Quebec? I'd think at least Ontario would be French, and for that matter, so should much of the Midwest. I'd think a Wabash-Maumee line would be a far more reasonable border for the New Netherlands, especially since rapid expansion wasn't their style (they were far more mercantilistic in their colonial dealings than either the British or the French, and would likely be content with OTL New Jersey and the Hudson valley).

- Sweden should go all the way to the Pacific, since Russia had trading posts all the way across before Poltava IOTL; for borders (in Siberia and generally) you should look at geographical lines; the Stanovoi Mountains formed the border between Russia and China pre-Aigun IOTL, so they'd make sense as the TTL border. Unless, you know, you'd want Sweden to actually be able to use its coastline (Okhotsk isn't much to use in the winter).

- How does China do so well? Did they pull a Meiji?

- Same for the Mughals (which, by the way, would be awesome).

- Transvaal shouldn't be called that, since it holds land on both sides of the Vaal ITTL; the name Nieuw-Oranje makes a good deal more sense for them than it does for the state you call that, for which Zambezia might work.

- Borders in the Balkans are way too convergent. Vojvodina, in particular, should be within Austria.

- Austria would never be able to colonise. They don't have sea access except to the Mediterranean, and the British control both outlets (I can't see Gibraltar, so that may be Spanish, but it's still not likely to be Austrian).

- Moving to Worlda would also do you good. If not otherwise, then because that map is rather ugly.

I'll change Finland right now.

Sweden's church didn't abruptly change. The Swedish Orthodox Church was more than a century in the making. Since the alternate history is about the Dutch, I don't go into too much detail about that.

Sweden's got its hands full keeping the Russians in line, so I figure that their grip on eastern Siberia and the Far East wouldn't be nearly as strong as Russia's.

I guess I should come up with a way to differentiate colony from protectorate from dominion/personal union.

The Mughals continue on because I can't think of many reasons that the Dutch would continue to encroach upon them. Mineral wealth perhaps. As for the Manchu; they just haven't fallen apart yet. As I said, it's about the Dutch, so I don't go into detail. If I did, it's be a ten thousand page encyclopedia instead of a 300 page ebook that I'm aiming at.

Austria has a little help from their neighbors. The Germans propping them up isn't anything out of the ordinary.

I guess I could switch those two Boer Republics' names around.

Brazil would have a much easier time with a transcontinental railroad (at least in northern Brazil) than the U.S. thanks to the fat Amazon. Of course that would require building a large port city much closer to the Andean foothills.

Circa 1955-1960.

WOW
What other maps do you plan upon making in this series of maps of yours?

Sweden's got its hands full keeping the Russians in line, so I figure that their grip on eastern Siberia and the Far East wouldn't be nearly as strong as Russia's.

If they have trouble keeping the Russians in line, they're probably going to lose the Russians: too much of a numerical disparity. So Japan conquers the place from a distracted Sweden-Russia?

The Mughals continue on because I can't think of many reasons that the Dutch would continue to encroach upon them. Mineral wealth perhaps..

Mughals pretty much fell apart on their own before the Europeans OTL started seriously pushing into India: the Brits had to pick apart the Marathas, not the Mughals. The change needs to be about the Mughals, not the Dutch. But eh, butterflies and knock-ons. :)

Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.