Map Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking we need a ATL Map Tut stickied somewhere...

There's a subliminal rule on these that if you make your map graphically beautiful with Photoshop, the content might not be criticized as much, whereas some excellent maps using the default basemap are criticized as being bland.

The whole point of making ATL maps isn't just aesthetics of a map. It's the content. So I perfectly understand if a map looks like crap, and has an amateur-ish ATL illustration. Just don't get all commercialized and wowed by the pretty Photoshop maps (Again, not saying they're even close to bad- people who spend that much effort into their look of a map has obviously spent that effort researching).

-DireSituation

Indeed, there is a notable circle of us who don't care what the map looks like (well, as long as it isn't overly horrible) as long as the map conveys the point.

I'm thinking we need a ATL Map Tut stickied somewhere...

There's a subliminal rule on these that if you make your map graphically beautiful with Photoshop, the content might not be criticized as much, whereas some excellent maps using the default basemap are criticized as being bland.

The whole point of making ATL maps isn't just aesthetics of a map. It's the content. So I perfectly understand if a map looks like crap, and has an amateur-ish ATL illustration. Just don't get all commercialized and wowed by the pretty Photoshop maps (Again, not saying they're even close to bad- people who spend that much effort into their look of a map has obviously spent that effort researching).

-DireSituation

Indeed, there is a notable circle of us who don't care what the map looks like (well, as long as it isn't overly horrible) as long as the map conveys the point.

I agree whole heartedly. Barring some scribbled out lines, even the simplest map can be interesting here. Some people just don't have the skill, time, or patients to do the suped-upped maps that we see.

Here's a quick Francowank map.

Francowank.PNG

I'm a little hesitant to post this, as I've never made a major map seriously before, but this is for a timeline.

This is the end of World War One with different alliance chains.

PoD is Ruthford B. Hayes being assassinated during his time as Ohio governor.

Union Powers:
Britain
Germany
Austria-Hungary
United States
Italy
Portugal

Coalition Powers:

Russia
France
Ottoman Empire
Japan
Greece
Serbia

French and British relations are ruined by Fashoda, and different alliances form.

Russian revolutionaries decide to abandon their country and head south early in the war, they overthrow a weak Persia and make their own nation.

Anything else you find weird I'll gladly explain.

!23.PNG

Now, may I have one more link to the Great B_munro's base map? I'm trying to make a similar type of map, but I can't find his great blank one.

Britain in control of Mecca? I know which nation is getting the ire of the Muslim fundamentalists. Hint: Not the USA.

Britain in control of Mecca? I know which nation is getting the ire of the Muslim fundamentalists. Hint: Not the USA.

The British won't hold onto Mecca for long and it will end up part of The Persian USSR, like most of the middle east, making a Communist quasi-caliphate. Complete with Islamic Stalin!

I'm a little hesitant to post this, as I've never made a major map seriously before, but this is for a timeline.
Anything else you find weird I'll gladly explain.

How'd you come up with Morocco's border?
I'm making my own WWI map right now as a matter of fact. (I've made about 50 maps, but I haven't posted any of them (outside map games.))

How'd you come up with Morocco's border?
I'm making my own WWI map right now as a matter of fact. (I've made about 50 maps, but I haven't posted any of them (outside map games.))

Didn't put a ton of though into African borders minus the one large independant nation but I figured since Europeans were masters of creating random borders (especially in Africa) that I could always say " The Europeans set up the borders for that small independent nation".

The below is a map of Brazil from an idea I had yesterday, which I'm not gonna continue with until I get some of my other works done.

The map shows Brazil and its States and Districts in the present day.

Rather than writing up a long history before the map, anything you want to know about, just ask.

Also, 10,000th post in this thread.

Hy-Brasilia.png

Last edited:
The below is a map of Brazil from an idea I had yesterday, which I'm not gonna continue with until I get some of my other works done.

The map shows Brazil and its States and Districts in the present day.

Rather than writing up a long history before the map, anything you want to know about, just ask.

I like it. Nice and simple, good inclusion of the flag and coat of arms. It would be interesting to see how Brazil kicked the Netherlands though.

Status
Not open for further replies.