Map Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Ireland is the name of one of the islands in the Bismarck Archipelago.

It was also the name the people of PEI wanted to give to their colony but I think the Admiralty was only one with the authority to change the names of colonies.

In a way it would have made sense, since at the time there was the New England region, and Nova Scotia ("New Scotland") but no New Brunswick as yet I think.

How can America get more wanked? Annex Sicily? A colony in Africa? How about American France?

Sounds pretty good to me. :D
But if I would considered wanked America (I was joking about further wanking the America in your map, btw), without getting ASB, I would probably give America Upper and Lower Canada, and raise the latitude line.

1568umv.png

after losing the war of 1812 the Americans have grown quite a bit, more than making up for the land that it had lost in the war. North America is a powder kaig of tension as the US secretly prepairs to attack Canada in a light pincer move, while a battered Mexico must decide whether to side with an enemy that it has been at war with and lost several times or fight on the side that isn't even prepared for a war.

Does anyone have a map of the 1940-1945 counties of Romania, without Northern Transylvania? Wiki (which is generally a great source for World War 2-era Europe maps) has got a map of the Romanian counties in 1930, it's got a map of the 1940-1945 Hungarian counties, and it's got a map of the Romanian counties in Transnistria, but this one in particular has totally eluded me.

after losing the war of 1812 the Americans have grown quite a bit, more than making up for the land that it had lost in the war. North America is a powder kaig of tension as the US secretly prepairs to attack Canada in a light pincer move, while a battered Mexico must decide whether to side with an enemy that it has been at war with and lost several times or fight on the side that isn't even prepared for a war.

Nice try mate but I should warn you about such maps - certain people on this site will destroy you for such an (and I mean no offence here), amateurish map.

Just a little advice when doing a map.

• First off, get a decent base map to work from. Have a look through this link and you'll find load of them. https://www.alternatehistory.com/Discussion/showthread.php?t=25312
  • Understand the concept of butterflies, that a change in history will have many far reaching consequences for the world (i'm thinking in this case tha state borders will be changed radically.)
  • Do a little research into the subject matter
  • Clean up a map when finnished i.e remove old borders and internal boundaries
  • And Practice, nothing will get you better like practice.
Russell

how so? are you being sarcastic?

No, I just didn't feel like typing the following. I figured someone would say it eventually.

Nice try mate but I should warn you about such maps - certain people on this site will destroy you for such an (and I mean no offence here), amateurish map.

Just a little advice when doing a map.
First off, get a decent base map to work from. Have a look through this link and you'll find load of them. https://www.alternatehistory.com/Disc...ad.php?t=25312
Understand the concept of butterflies, that a change in history will have many far reaching consequences for the world (i'm thinking in this case tha state borders will be changed radically.)
Do a little research into the subject matter
Clean up a map when finnished i.e remove old borders and internal boundaries
And Practice, nothing will get you better like practice.
Russell

Guys, that map isn't that bad... The base map is OK, if a little blurry, and simply changing the state borders a bit would make it an above average map.

I'm thinking we need a ATL Map Tut stickied somewhere...

There's a subliminal rule on these that if you make your map graphically beautiful with Photoshop, the content might not be criticized as much, whereas some excellent maps using the default basemap are criticized as being bland.

The whole point of making ATL maps isn't just aesthetics of a map. It's the content. So I perfectly understand if a map looks like crap, and has an amateur-ish ATL illustration. Just don't get all commercialized and wowed by the pretty Photoshop maps (Again, not saying they're even close to bad- people who spend that much effort into their look of a map has obviously spent that effort researching).

-DireSituation

I'm thinking we need a ATL Map Tut stickied somewhere...

There's a subliminal rule on these that if you make your map graphically beautiful with Photoshop, the content might not be criticized as much, whereas some excellent maps using the default basemap are criticized as being bland.

The whole point of making ATL maps isn't just aesthetics of a map. It's the content. So I perfectly understand if a map looks like crap, and has an amateur-ish ATL illustration. Just don't get all commercialized and wowed by the pretty Photoshop maps (Again, not saying they're even close to bad- people who spend that much effort into their look of a map has obviously spent that effort researching).

-DireSituation

He has a point! :D:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.