Maid of Norway, Queen of Scotland: A Plantagenet Britain Timeline

Family Tree - Plantagenets
King Edward of England (June 1239-) m. a) Eleanor of Castile (1241-1291); b) Yolande of Aragon (1273-)
  1. a) A short lived unnamed daughter (1254);
  2. a) Katherine (1261);
  3. a) Joan (1265–1265);
  4. a) John (1266–1271);
  5. a) Henry (May 1268– October 1274);
  6. a) Eleanor, Queen of Aragon (June 1269–) m. Alfonso III of Aragon (November 1265-);
    1. Eduardo of Aragon (November 1293-);
    2. Maria of Aragon (February 1295-);
    3. Jaime of Aragon (June 1296-);
    4. Elionor of Aragon (September 1298- );
  7. a) Unnamed daughter (1272);
  8. a) Joan of Acre (April 1272–) m. Gilbert de Clare, 7th Earl of Gloucester (September 1243-December 1295);
    1. Gilbert de Clare, 7th Earl of Hertford (May 1291-);
    2. Eleanor de Clare (October 1292-);
    3. Margaret de Clare (October 1293- );
    4. Elizabeth de Clare (September 1295-);
  9. a) Alphonso, Earl of Chester (November 1273–August 1284);
  10. a) Margaret (March 1275–) m. John II, Duke of Brabant (September 1275-);
  11. a) Berengaria (1276–1277);
  12. a) Unnamed son (1277);
  13. a) Mary of Woodstock (March 1278– ). A nun;
  14. a) Elizabeth of Rhuddland (1282–) m. John I, Count of Holland (1284-);
  15. a) Edward, Prince of Wales (April 1284–) b. Margaret, Queen of Scots (March 1283-);
  16. b) Constance of Windsor (August 1293-);
  17. b) Henry of Kings Langley (July 1294-);
  18. b) Catherine of Bordeaux (May 1297-)

Last edited:
King Edward of England (June 1239-) m. a) Eleanor of Castile (1241-1291); b) Yolande of Aragon (1273-)
  1. a) A short lived unnamed daughter (1254);
  2. a) Katherine (1261);
  3. a) Joan (1265–1265);
  4. a) John (1266–1271);
  5. a) Henry (May 1268– October 1274);
  6. a) Eleanor, Queen of Aragon (June 1269–) m. Alfonso III of Aragon (November 1465-);
    1. Eduardo of Aragon (November 1293-);
    2. Maria of Aragon (February 1295-);
    3. Jaime of Aragon (June 1296-);
    4. Elionor of Aragon (September 1298- );
  7. a) Unnamed daughter (1272);
  8. a) Joan of Acre (April 1272–) m. Gilbert de Clare, 7th Earl of Gloucester (September 1243-December 1295);
    1. Gilbert de Clare, 7th Earl of Hertford (May 1291-);
    2. Eleanor de Clare (October 1292-);
    3. Margaret de Clare (October 1293- );
    4. Elizabeth de Clare (September 1295-);
  9. a) Alphonso, Earl of Chester (November 1273–August 1284);
  10. a) Margaret (March 1275–) m. John II, Duke of Brabant (September 1275-);
  11. a) Berengaria (1276–1277);
  12. a) Unnamed son (1277);
  13. a) Mary of Woodstock (March 1278– ). A nun;
  14. a) Elizabeth of Rhuddland (1282–) m. John I, Count of Holland (1284-);
  15. a) Edward, Prince of Wales (April 1284–) b. Margaret, Queen of Scots (March 1283-);
  16. b) Constance of Windsor (August 1293-);
  17. b) Henry of Kings Langley (July 1294-);
  18. b) Catherine of Bordeaux (May 1297-)
LOVE your family trees! can't wait to see Edward and margaret's later in the future!

So Charles of Valois is captured; that’s new, right? Does he still have a young son* at this point? Speaking of, does Phillip the Fair OTL three sons if his own at this point; is that still the case here? And what of Louis of Evreux?

*the boy who OTL became Phillip VI

So Charles of Valois is captured; that’s new, right? Does he still have a young son* at this point? Speaking of, does Phillip the Fair OTL three sons if his own at this point; is that still the case here? And what of Louis of Evreux?

*the boy who OTL became Phillip VI
Yes. All of Philip the Fair's sons that become kings are still alive. As is Charles of Valois' son. And Louis of Evreux. We're going to be seeing them soon, because I decided to add some French povs in preparation for a French plotline centered around the daughter-in-law of Philip the Fair (who may or may not be Lady Constance.)

Yes. All of Philip the Fair's sons that become kings are still alive. As is Charles of Valois' son. And Louis of Evreux. We're going to be seeing them soon, because I decided to add some French povs in preparation for a French plotline centered around the daughter-in-law of Philip the Fair (who may or may not be Lady Constance.)
sounds great

b) Catherine of Bordeaux (May 1297-)
Well, she definitely spent time in her kingdom (or the other way around if you wanna be crass)
Very interesting. Hopefully the Valois won’t end up ruling France

Chapter XXXIV - A New Dawn New
February 1299. Bordeaux, Gascony.

The land stretched before him, the earth so flat beneath his feet that he could see for miles ahead. He could see the Garonne estuary and the many vineyards that the wealthiest Gascons owned. The stone and brick houses from the city just beside them, the people going out and about, moving on with their lives. The children that played on the streets, too young to learn a trade.

They stood inside his rooms in the Château de Blanquefort, looking out from the window at the world that didn’t seem to realise they were at a war. It fascinated him to no end. Édouard enjoyed watching the common folk mingle about. They didn’t care whether it was an English king or a French king that ruled over them. Only that their babies were fat and healthy, that they reap a blessed harvest and that winter came gently. That was what they cared about.

He crossed his arms and sighed. When he became king, Édouard knew that he would have to take care of these people. And the English, the Welsh, the Scottish as well. God trusted him with many lives. He could only hope to care for them fairly and justly.

“I hear my father is suing for peace,” said Édouard, turning slightly to look at the young man sitting by the fire, preparing a game of chess. “We have what we want.” They had the King’s brother in custody still and enough leeway within the country to demand the return of their lands and the betrothal of his sister Constance to the French heir.

“What makes the Prince think King Philip will accept the offer?” Piers asked in a soft voice. Édouard walked to him and sat down in front of him, eyes going to the game before them.

“He has to,” said Édouard. “The new pope is putting pressure on my father and him to have peace.”

Piers had the white pieces, so he started. Édouard looked at his friend as he pondered before taking hold of one of his pawns and moving it forward. He had hardly removed his fingers from the piece when Édouard moved his own pawn, two spaces forward. Piers smiled.

“Plus, there is something else,” the Prince of Wales said.

“What?” Piers moved another of his pieces and Édouard moved his own, taking one of his pawns. Piers smiled again.

“My father wants me to get married,” Édouard said. “I’ll be fifteen in two months. Best get on with a treaty so we can all return home.” Him, his father and his stepmother, and Édouard’s newest little sister Catherine, who had been born only some days after they retook Bordeaux. “He wants me to father legitimate children.”

“As opposed to all the illegitimate children you’ve been fathering, my prince?” Piers asked in a teasing tone. Édouard rolled his eyes.

When he turned fourteen, his father had instructed his minder to procure a female companion for him. To be certain that Édouard knew how to consummate the marriage and produce children with his bride. But after that, he hadn’t bothered to do it again, possibly because he still thought of himself as young. And Piers knew he hadn’t experimented since then, which was why he made that joke.

“Shut up,” Édouard mumbled weakly. “You know what I mean.”

“I do,” Piers said as they continued to play. “Who is the lucky lady?”

“Margaret,” Édouard answered. “The Queen of Scotland. I've mentioned her before.”

Piers nodded. “What is she like?”

“Pretty,” Édouard said, though that probably changed now. Everyone said Margaret would grow to be a great beauty. She was likely even more beautiful in her adolescent years. “Determined, I think. She liked to spend time with me and said no when my father told her to bring her men to France for the war. Not every girl is like that.”

“So she is not like other girls?” Piers asked with a laugh.

“I guess,” said Édouard, not having realised his friend was mocking him. “But she was actually the first girl I met that wasn’t one of my sisters. So there is that.” But all his sisters were determined. Eleanor was a queen and Joan had been banished from court because of her words to the Queen. Margaret had moved to another of her husband’s castles to express her discontent at his philandering, and they hadn’t even had a child yet. And Elizabeth still refused to travel to her husband in Holland. Not to mention Mary, constantly ignoring the papal order prohibiting nuns from travelling. He supposed that aspect of Margaret didn’t count. “I remember she liked dresses. And jewellery.”

“Every girl likes dresses and jewellery, my prince,” Piers said. “You have to be better if you wish to conquer her heart and have a good life once the Lord binds you together.”

“Well, how do you do it?” Édouard asked. “Oh, Sir Lancelot. Master Rake. Philanderer. He who speaks to the fair sex.” Piers began laughing.

“I’ll show you, Your Grace,” his friend said. “Stand up. Forget the game.” Édouard frowned, but did as bid. Piers stood up as well and they came to stand next to each other, one in front of the other.

Piers was a head shorter than him, with red hair and green eyes. But he had a sultry smile and a charisma that Édouard could never hope to match with his personality alone. He knew he was handsome, but Piers had an air about him that was attractive.

“First,” Piers began, “You take the woman’s hand with a bow.” He dipped his head as he took his hand and Édouard frowned, not truly knowing where this would go. “Then you drop a kiss to her knuckles.” He pressed his mouth to Édouard’s knuckles, but he raised his eyes to look at him with a heavy, penetrating gaze. “But you look up at her scandalously. Then you stand up,” he straightens himself as he speaks, “And you kiss her.” Piers leaned in as he smacked his lips and Édouard laughed.

“Shut up!” He pushed his friend away, shaking his head. “Is that all you know?”

“I know more,” said Piers with a laugh. He adjusted his posture, looking at Édouard. “You have to cherish women, Your Grace. Tell me I look beautiful.”

“Why would I do that?” Édouard asked, blushing.

“Because I’m Queen Margaret.” Piers preened as he placed his hands at his sides, as if holding up the skirts of a dress, and curtsied softly. “Oh, Prince Édouard, what do you think of my new dress?”

“Ah.” Édouard didn’t know what to say. “You look beautiful, my lady.”

At once, Piers’ facial expression changed. He frowned, twisting his mouth in a stern pout. “Oh, is that so? Do you believe a woman can only be beautiful? Should I remind you I am queen? Or must I have my guards beat you until you acknowledge my title?”

“Where did that come from?” Édouard asked, baffled at the developments in their conversation.

“Queen Yolande said that to me today at mass,” Piers answered with a laugh. “Except for the threat. That was just me. I thought the narrative needed some drama.”

“Clearly,” said Édouard. “I don’t think Margaret will have her guards beat me if I happen to say the wrong thing.” He hoped not, at least. “Give me another chance.”

“Well,” Piers said. “What do you think of my hair?”

“Tricky,” Édouard answered. “Most women cover their hair.”

Piers smiled and bowed. “I have nothing left to teach you, my prince,” he said.

“You’re an idiot,” said Édouard with a smile. “I can only hope that when we leave for England, you won’t make such jokes in front of the Queen.”

Piers pressed a hand to his chest in mock offence and Édouard laughed again. His friend was too funny.

Please know that from now on everything French-related has been approved and accepted by @Wings so if you have any hate mail or death threats, feel free to direct that towards him.

(Also thank you, Wings.)