Magical Steampunk: yeah or nay?

Magical Steampunk: do you approve?

• But of course

Votes: 53 63.1%
  • Not really my cup of tea

Votes: 31 36.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
To clarify: I have no problem with a _certain_ amount of magic in steampunk, as long as it is genre-appropriate. Ghosts and some sort psychic powers, fine, given the Victorian fascination with spiritualism: magic as occasional wierdness somewhere in Darkest Africa or the Mysterious East, OK. But when magic becomes absolutely necessary for the setting, I balk.

I was reading a collection called "Steampunked", back to front (for reasons I shan't go into), and of the first three I read, two were basically magic-dependent: in one the steampunk tech was essentially powered by Wizard, and the other one is a magic-science conflict [1]. Now, one can argue that steampunk technology is magic anyway (you can't really run an advanced AI on gears, [3], and personal dirigible is a really inconvenient form of travel), but the setting is basically one centered on science, technology and progress (as well as the drawbacks of same and human, social, class etc. conflict if they take the "Punk" bit seriously): if it is explicitly magical, if its about werewolves and vampires or fairies with actual steam tech just a background element, isn't it just fantasy with brass fittings?

So, your opinion...?

Bruce

[1] Which hits other annoyance buttons by being a story in which the magical aristocrats are the Good 'uns, while the middle class scientists are the bad 'uns (which lose), and the whole thing is hidden history [2] as well.
[2] Anyone who writes steampunk in which steampunk is hidden history that comes within nut-punching range will be punched in the nuts. And this means you, Stephen Baxter.
[3] Well, maybe with nanotech...

Krall

Banned
if it is explicitly magical, if its about werewolves and vampires or fairies with actual steam tech just a background element, isn't it just fantasy with brass fittings?

Yes, that's called "magitech". It shares some themes and styles with steampunk, but it's own thing for the most part.

Considering the D&D world I designed for my campaign is meant to be transitioning from a standard low fantasy world into a magitech/clockpunk world, and one of my favourite D&D settings is Eberron, I think I'll have to vote "Yea".

There was an old computer game called Arcanum which did this quite well.

Actually, while Arcanum had a lot of magic, it was at war with steampunk tech users and the steampunk tech itself couldn't stand explicit magic (flintlocks exploded in the hands of wizards and magic users couldn't even travel aboard trains).

One of my first introductions into steampunk was through the setting for the Castle Falkenstein roleplaying game, which included magic, dragons, and Faerie. So I've always seen steampunk and fantasy as being basically complementary.

Arcanum! Orcs working in factories demanding equality, Elves in the woods fighting the gnome merchants and their human soldiers who needed the timber.

i prefer calling it alchemic steampunk myself (as it blends sciene and mysticism), but yush..is fun

One of my first introductions into steampunk was through the setting for the Castle Falkenstein roleplaying game, which included magic, dragons, and Faerie. So I've always seen steampunk and fantasy as being basically complementary.

Absolutely one of my favourite RPGs. Loved the Castle Falkenstein universe!

There was an old computer game called Arcanum which did this quite well.
I would say that taking a fantasy setting and applying the steampunk treatment to it works better than taking a steampunk setting and adding magical elements.

Last edited:
I would say that taking a fantasy setting and applying the steampunk treatment to it works better than taking a steampunk setting and adding magical elements.

Hmm. I wouldn't mind a standard fantasy setting which is having an industrial revolution, but I wouldn't call it steampunk...

Bruce

I've been playing around with a "Legend of Zelda meets the Industrial Age" scenario for a while, so I obviously like it.

I like magitech/tek things, and I'm not a big stickler. If the story sucks, yeah, I'll take it out on the writer not knowing how to handle the material.
If it entertains, diverts me, and tells a good tale, with a thought out setting, I don't give a care if magic and steam/clock/diesel/atom punk mix.

Recently reading the Grimoire Chronicles where magic and diesel/steampunk mix in 1930's America (well, second book actually, couldn't find the first one...). I like it.

Also, the Onyx Hall series is pretty good (though I've only read the Victorian story...)

So, if I voted, Yea.

It depends on the rigor & consistancy of the magical system (since steampunk is after all a rigorous and consistancy magic system), and if it fits with the greater aesthetic or not. Harry Potter, Vancian or Tolkien magic can gtfo of my steampunk but many other magical effects can come right on in (Golems for example!)