List of monarchs III

Crystal

Banned
Okay I read this but I still do not understand it. What are the rules here?
The aim of the game is to create a fictional list of monarchs. There can be no more then 2 lists at the same time in the thread, but after 3 days of inactivity a game is considered dead and you can start a new list. The person who posted the last update on the dead list gets to post the new list, but if they haven't within 24hrs, its fair game for everyone.
Everyone takes turns in posting entries to the list, no one can post two consecutive entries to the same list; you must wait for someone else to post.
Each entry must be logical and realistic, so no Aliens, Time travel, or Wizards.
One list can be split into two lists, but I believe it counts as two, not one.

Formatting has to follow a simple formula, like this:
Year Reign begins - Year Reign ends: Name of ruler (Name of House/Dynasty) [Update number]
Each update must have a footnote of their reign. You can look at previous lists to observe how this works.

Those are the basic rules, now let me give you some advice:
  1. You can write short or long posts, but try not to go into excessively long walls of text about things that aren't important. It will make people lose interest.
  2. Don't make the family tree or plot convoluted
  3. If someone is trying to take the plot in a certain direction, don't radically change it. It's a very selfish thing to do, and it frustrating for the players.
  4. If you're starting your list in somewhere like Ancient Egypt, Ancient Babylon, or the Roman Empire, please put a time limit on it, or otherwise it will be impossible to keep track off, and will go on forever.
  5. If a popular and successful list is going on, don't start a list about the same country. I've seen many thriving England lists get suddenly eclipsed because someone started another England list, and instantly became more popular.
The only current list right now is my Flanders list, but because there's less then two, you are welcome to start another list.
I think that's just about everything, just ask if there's something you still don't understand.

The aim of the game is to create a fictional list of monarchs. There can be no more then 2 lists at the same time in the thread, but after 3 days of inactivity a game is considered dead and you can start a new list. The person who posted the last update on the dead list gets to post the new list, but if they haven't within 24hrs, its fair game for everyone.
Everyone takes turns in posting entries to the list, no one can post two consecutive entries to the same list; you must wait for someone else to post.
Each entry must be logical and realistic, so no Aliens, Time travel, or Wizards.
One list can be split into two lists, but I believe it counts as two, not one.

Formatting has to follow a simple formula, like this:
Year Reign begins - Year Reign ends: Name of ruler (Name of House/Dynasty) [Update number]
Each update must have a footnote of their reign. You can look at previous lists to observe how this works.

Those are the basic rules, now let me give you some advice:

1. You can write short or long posts, but try not to go into excessively long walls of text about things that aren't important. It will make people lose interest.
  2. Don't make the family tree or plot convoluted
  3. If someone is trying to take the plot in a certain direction, don't radically change it. It's a very selfish thing to do, and it frustrating for the players.
  4. If you're starting your list in somewhere like Ancient Egypt, Ancient Babylon, or the Roman Empire, please put a time limit on it, or otherwise it will be impossible to keep track off, and will go on forever.
  5. If a popular and successful list is going on, don't start a list about the same country. I've seen many thriving England lists get suddenly eclipsed because someone started another England list, and instantly became more popular.
The only current list right now is my Flanders list, but because there's less then two, you are welcome to start another list.
I think that's just about everything, just ask if there's something you still don't understand.
Thank you. This sounds interesting...

What if Peter II did not die in 1730?

1727 - 1761: Peter II (House of Romanov) [1]
Louis+XVI+%282%29.jpg

[1] Peter II, Grandson of Peter I (the Great), became Czar of Russia after the death of Peter the Greats wife Czarina Catherine I. Becoming Czar at the age of 12, Peter II did not have to face the threats his grandfather had dealt with thus starting a relatively quiet rule.

The young Czar was advised by Princess Anna Ivanovna to marry Charlotte Albertine of Prussia, to strengthen ties between Russia and the West. The marriage was concluded in 1731. The fruit of this alliance was the joint back up for August III with Prussia against Stanislaw I in the Polish War of Succession. By 1736 however, Peter II retreated from the war by French ambassadors persuading Peter II to end hostilities with Stanislaw and in return get the vassal of Courland as compensation.

In 1738 a war broke out between Russia and Austria against the Ottoman Empire. Initial success of Russia led to capture of Azov, Chotyn and Bender but the war ended quick in 1741 when the Austrians peaced out due to the loss of Belgrade and Banja Luka to the Ottomans. Peter II enforced moderate yet beneficial terms: return of Azov, Bender and Chotyn. Crimean Khans will no longer be appointed by the Ottoman Sultans. Azov Trade Company gets rights to operate under Russian protection in Azov, Khadibey (Odessa) and Akthiar (Sevastopol). There was eventually an ending alliance with Nader Shah.

Peter II last major war was against Maria Theresa in an attempt to restrengthen ties with the country of his wife. The war resulted in Austria losing Hungary to Maria Theresa whom recognised her as the rightful ruler of Hungary. Prussia was however refrained from taking more than Silesia. In this success Russia had now taken the position of the most dominant state in Eastern Europe.

In 1756 a new war broke out in Europe in which Peter II changed his side against France and Prussia. With the death of his wife Charlotte, Peter II sided with Britain. In 12 January 1761, Peter II died after falling of his horse and falling in coma, dying soon afterwards.

Edit 2: I added a picture and changed the colour. It should be good now :)

Last edited:

Crystal

Banned
What if Peter II did not die in 1730?

1727 - 1761: Peter II (House of Romanov) [1]

[1]
Peter II, Grandson of Peter I (the Great), became Czar of Russia after the death of Peter the Greats wife Czarina Catherine I. Becoming Czar at the age of 12, Peter II did not have to face the threats his grandfather had dealt with thus starting a relatively quiet rule.

The young Czar was advised by Princess Anna Ivanovna to marry Charlotte Albertine of Prussia, to strengthen ties between Russia and the West. The marriage was concluded in 1731. The fruit of this alliance was the joint back up for August III with Prussia against Stanislaw I in the Polish War of Succession. By 1736 however, Peter II retreated from the war by French ambassadors persuading Peter II to end hostilities with Stanislaw and in return get the vassal of Courland as compensation.

In 1738 a war broke out between Russia and Austria against the Ottoman Empire. Initial success of Russia led to capture of Azov, Chotyn and Bender but the war ended quick in 1741 when the Austrians peaced out due to the loss of Belgrade and Banja Luka to the Ottomans. Peter II enforced moderate yet beneficial terms: return of Azov, Bender and Chotyn. Crimean Khans will no longer be appointed by the Ottoman Sultans. Azov Trade Company gets rights to operate under Russian protection in Azov, Khadibey (Odessa) and Akthiar (Sevastopol). There was eventually an ending alliance with Nader Shah.

Peter II last major war was against Maria Theresa in an attempt to restrengthen ties with the country of his wife. The war resulted in Austria losing Hungary to Maria Theresa whom recognised her as the rightful ruler of Hungary. Prussia was however refrained from taking more than Silesia. In this success Russia had now taken the position of the most dominant state in Eastern Europe.

In 1756 a new war broke out in Europe in which Peter II changed his side against France and Prussia. With the death of his wife Charlotte, Peter II sided with Britain. In 12 January 1761, Peter II died after falling of his horse and falling in coma.

Peter II had 10 children of whom two of them died in infancy and one before Peter II, all with Empress Charlotte.

List of children of Peter II whom outlived him:
- Ivan (1732)
- Constantine (1734)
- Catherine (1737)
- Anna (1739)
- Paul (1741)
- Michael (1744)
- Elizabeth (1749)

Edit: am I doing it right?
Yes, but generally people like to colour the Monarchs name and house according to their house colours and add pictures. Other then that, it's pretty spot on.

Crystal

Banned
What if there was a Second Carolingian War in which Flanders became independent?

Counts and Countesses of Flanders:
862 - 879: Baldwin I the Brave (House of Flanders) [1]
879 - 920: Baldwin II (House of Flanders) [2]
920 - 963: Charles I the Wise (House of Flanders) [3]

[1] Not much was known about Baldwin I before he became Count of Flanders, although it is thought he was a regional noble. He was selected by Charles the Bald to govern the Count of Flanders, but little did he know that he would later regret that decision. After Baldwin I eloped with his daughter Judith, Charles tried to capture Baldwin but could not.

Instead, Charles brought Pope Nicholas I into it, making him excommunicate the couple immediately. The Pope agreed, and the couple soon came to Rome to make their case to the Pope. Nicholas I sided with Baldwin. The marriage was found legitimate, and the couple was recommunicated. Charles was humiliated, and soon became vengeful towards Baldwin.

After a drunken fistfight broke out between a Flemish sergeant and a Frankish petty noble escalated to a small riot, Charles tried to appoint his son Carloman as Count of Flanders. Baldwin knew Charles would stop at nothing to remove him from power, and asked Louis the German of East Francia to fight with him against Charles the Bald if he invaded. Louis agreed, and when Charles invaded Flanders, East Francia invaded the West. Lothair II of Lothargia sided with East Francia, beginning the Second Carolingian War.

The war lasted 2 years, and ended in the defeat of West Francia. Large reparations were payed to the victors, and much territory was ceded to Lothargia and East Francia. Carloman was forced to renounce his claim to the crown of Flanders, and Flanders was made independent.

Baldwin's tale of triumph became a defining part of a Flemish man's identity, bravery, heroism and fighting for freedom against forces much bigger then ones self. Baldwin became known as "Baldwin the Brave" for his heroic stand leading 3,000 knights to victory against 15,000 Franks at the battle of Saint Omer.

Baldwin passed away in 879, and was succeeded by his son, Baldwin.

[2]
After his father's death, a 14 year old Baldwin was left to the throne. His mother ruled for him for the next 2 years, making him anxious to prove himself once he ascended. His Kingdom had been under much attack from Viking raiders, and he quickly proved himself just as skilled as his father when it came to dealing with Vikings.

In 888, there was a coup against Charles III of united Francia. Baldwin fought for Arnulf of Carinthia, who successfully became King of Italy and King of East Francia. Baldwin gained much land from the war, such as Namur, Lille and Ostend. As reward for his loyalty, Arnulf married his daughter Hedwig to Baldwin. Hedwig bore Baldwin two daughters and a son, but died in childbirth birthing the son.

Baldwin then married Princess Gisela, sister of Charles the Simple, the new King of West Francia. They had many children, including 3 sons.
Baldwin died peacefully age 55, leaving the throne to his son, Charles

[3] Charles I was the second son of Count and Countess Baldwin II and Gisela, his older brother (also named Charles) died in infancy. He was 19 when he came to the throne, and faced a rebellion from his half brother, Louis. Charles could have crushed the pretender, but instead he tried to reason with him. For the next year, Charles would fight for his throne against Louis, eventually cornering him in the village of Spiennes. Louis surrendered, and Charles executed him the following day.

In his early reign, Charles struggled with dealing with Viking raids along the coast, but got better at it as he matured.

Charles was never much of a commander, but he was a very skilled diplomat, creating closer ties to both East and West Francia; he was the only Flemish King so far to not go to war with either Kingdom. He supported Otto the Great in his quest to unify Germany, and was considered a valuable member of his court. Charles married Otto's daughter Liutgarde in 950, and had three daughters and a son. Charles attended the coronation of Otto as Holy Roman Emperor. Otto had often tried to Convince Charles to become subservient to him, but each time Charles had swiftly moved the conversation onward. By the time Otto was Emperor, he saw Charles more as an equal then a lesser. Many royal marriages were arranged between the two houses in the time they knew each other.

Charles was a thinker and theologian, very much a man of the Ottonian renaissance. He wrote books in his spare time, and enriched both the pockets and minds of his people. His magnum opus "The Humble Man's Duty to Himself" is considered to a work of art, still studied today by historians in a similar fashion to books such as Beowulf.

Charles died just a year after his friend Otto became Emperor, leaving the throne to his -,-.

What if Charles the Younger had been the son to outlive Charlemagne and then had only one heir so the Empire was never divided?

Emperors of the Western Holy Roman Empire

800 - 814: Charlemagne AKA Charles I (Carolingian)
814 - 849: Charles II the Younger (Carolingian) [1]

aachen.jpg

Charlemagne
blutgericht012.jpg

Charles the Younger
[1] Charles was the second son of Charlemagne to live to adulthood and became his prime heir when his older brother, Pippin the Hunchback, led a rebellion that failed in 792 when Charles was 20. In 796 a treaty was made between the Franks and Merica and Charles married Ælfflæd, the daughter of Offa. On Christmas Day 800 when his father was crowned Emperor of the Western Roman Empire (after 324 years of no Western Emperors), Charlemagne had Charles crowned King of the Franks; he was 28. His younger brother Pepin of Italy died of disease in 810 and then his youngest and only other surviving heir, Louis of Aquitane, died in 811 of a stroke. At the age of 41 he became the Emperor of the Western Holy Roman Empire and Ælfflæd was crowned Empress.

Charles did not expand the Empire except in Spain, where he reclaimed Barcelona from the Moors. He died at the age of 77. He broke tradition by having named only one heir to inherit the entire Empire and had had his _____________, ___________, crowned as co-Emperor in 830 so there was no doubt who would succeed him.

Carolingian 849.jpg

What if Charles the Younger had been the son to outlive Charlemagne and then had only one heir so the Empire was never divided?

849 - 855: Lothair (Carolingian) [2]

aachen.jpg

Charlemagne
blutgericht012.jpg

Charles the Younger
[1] Charles was the second son of Charlemagne to live to adulthood and became his prime heir when his older brother, Pippin the Hunchback, led a rebellion that failed in 792 when Charles was 20. In 796 a treaty was made between the Franks and Merica and Charles married Ælfflæd, the daughter of Offa. On Christmas Day 800 when his father was crowned Emperor of the Western Roman Empire (after 324 years of no Western Emperors), Charlemagne had Charles crowned King of the Franks; he was 28. His younger brother Pepin of Italy died of disease in 810 and then his youngest and only other surviving heir, Louis of Aquitane, died in 811 of a stroke. At the age of 41 he became the Emperor of the Western Holy Roman Empire and Ælfflæd was crowned Empress.

Charles did not expand the Empire except in Spain, where he reclaimed Barcelona from the Moors. He died at the age of 77. He broke tradition by having named only one heir to inherit the entire Empire and had had his son, Lothair, crowned as co-Emperor in 830 so there was no doubt who would succeed him.

[2]
Lothair was Charles the Younger's only son, and only heir. Made Co-Emperor at the age of 35 in 830, he married Ingeltrude of Madrie and she swiftly provided three sons, the youngest of whom was shipped off to join the priesthood when it became clear the elder two would live to adulthood, marry and provide heirs. Lothair, however, had a very short reign of only six years - with his wife passing away after only two years as Empress. A mission to find a second wife for Lothair commenced, and Waldrada of Worms, daughter of Waldraith (whose father had been Charles I's brother-in-law) and Robert III of Worms, was pushed forward by her brother, Robert IV of Worms. But before the marriage could be consummated, the Emperor died of a sweating sickness and the new Empress was left widowed - so the imperial court began to maneuvere her as a bride for Lothairs unmarried second son, but he was resistant to the idea.

Lothair was replaced by his .........., .........

What if Aethelred II had won at the Battle of Conwy in ?

Kings of Mercia

879 - 911: Aethelred II The Long Haired (House of Mercia) [1]

tumblr_p6tty5NuL51s3sllco1_1280.jpg

[1]
Aethelred led Mercia to victory at the Battle of Conwy (in which he was afforded the honorific of Aethelred the Long Haired by the Welsh) in 881, subjugating the forces of Rhodri Mawr and rejecting the overtures of Alfred the Great to marry his daughter Aethelflaed. Aethelred instead married Angharad of Aberffraw, eldest daughter of Rhodri Mawrs eldest son, Anarawd, in order to placate his Welsh subjects. Historians would later stipulate that a marriage between Aethelred and Aethelflaed was unlikely as Aethelreds mother was Alfred the Greats eldest sister, Aethelswith, and the Pope would have likely excommunicated the Mercian royals if a marriage had occured. Aethelred further cemented Mercian succession as under Welsh laws, his territory would need to be split equally between any sons. Mercian succession would be to the eldest son only, and taking a note from the Salian Franks, succession could not pass through the female line or to a woman - the production of a male heir was now critical.

Angharad produced Aethelred two sons, raised by Mercian Ealdormen whilst King Aethelred was busy prevaricating in his support for his relatives in Wessex. Even though Mercia had supported Wessex at the Battle of Edington in 879, they found themselves varying between out and out support, out and out neutrality and covert provision of soldiers from Mercias Welsh troops. Aethelred was playing a dangerous game, that eventually resulted in Alfred having to recognise Aethelred as his High King after his daughters abduction and subsequent death in the Battle of Baemfleot in 891 - Alfred was no longer King of Wessex but Lord of Wessex.

Alfreds son, Edward, became an important player in Aethelreds expanded Greater Angleland (incorporating North Wales, Western Mercia and Wessex) and briefly attempted to overthrow his cousin, but found himself caught and executed. The lordship of Wessex passed to Aethrleweard, Alfreds second son who had been until then simply a wealthy noble, showed no pretensions to usurp his cousins throne.

When Aethelred died in 911, he was then succeeded by ...

What if Aethelred II had won at the Battle of Conwy in ?

Kings of Mercia

879 - 911: Aethelred II "The Long Haired" (House of Mercia) [1]
911 - 933: Wulfferd I "The Merciless" (House of Mercia) [2]

tumblr_p6tty5NuL51s3sllco1_1280.jpg

[1]
Aethelred led Mercia to victory at the Battle of Conwy (in which he was afforded the honorific of Aethelred the Long Haired by the Welsh) in 881, subjugating the forces of Rhodri Mawr and rejecting the overtures of Alfred the Great to marry his daughter Aethelflaed. Aethelred instead married Angharad of Aberffraw, eldest daughter of Rhodri Mawrs eldest son, Anarawd, in order to placate his Welsh subjects. Historians would later stipulate that a marriage between Aethelred and Aethelflaed was unlikely as Aethelreds mother was Alfred the Greats eldest sister, Aethelswith, and the Pope would have likely excommunicated the Mercian royals if a marriage had occured. Aethelred further cemented Mercian succession as under Welsh laws, his territory would need to be split equally between any sons. Mercian succession would be to the eldest son only, and taking a note from the Salian Franks, succession could not pass through the female line or to a woman - the production of a male heir was now critical.

Angharad produced Aethelred two sons, raised by Mercian Ealdormen whilst King Aethelred was busy prevaricating in his support for his relatives in Wessex. Even though Mercia had supported Wessex at the Battle of Edington in 879, they found themselves varying between out and out support, out and out neutrality and covert provision of soldiers from Mercias Welsh troops. Aethelred was playing a dangerous game, that eventually resulted in Alfred having to recognise Aethelred as his High King after his daughters abduction and subsequent death in the Battle of Baemfleot in 891 - Alfred was no longer King of Wessex but Lord of Wessex.

Alfreds son, Edward, became an important player in Aethelreds expanded Greater Angleland (incorporating North Wales, Western Mercia and Wessex) and briefly attempted to overthrow his cousin, but found himself caught and executed. The lordship of Wessex passed to Aethrleweard, Alfreds second son who had been until then simply a wealthy noble, showed no pretensions to usurp his cousins throne.

When Aethelred died in 911, he was then succeeded by Wulfferd.

latest

[2] Wulfferd would inherit a kingdom greatly expanded, and newly powerful, but on the brim of chaos. The rapid expansion of his father meant that there were a great many new lords that chaffed under the yolk of their masters in Tamworth. Wulfferd would face the first of, what would become, the 3 Welsh Uprisings, in 913. Under Tudwal Gloff "the Black Knight", youngest son of Rhodri Mawr. For two years Tudwal would rampage across the Mercian domain, avoiding open battle with Wulfferd and gathering more support to his cause. However, in 915 Wulfferd caught up to Tudwal at the battle of Bloxwich. Here Tudwals force would be destroyed, and when Tudwal was brought before Wulfferd, the King executed the 'Black Knight' by his own hand. for the next six years there would be relative peace, & wulfferd would convey the estates of Tudwal upon his newly born fourth son. Then, in 921 a second army, this time led by a landed knight by the name of Brynmor Bithel. for a full year Bithels forces would openly attack the armies of King Wulfferd, with his eldest son, Aethelweard, and his second son Heorurd, being slain at the battles of Leicester & Merthyr Tydfil respectively. Wulfferd would never actually defeat Bithel in open battle, however at a faux peace talk Wulfferd ambushed Bithel and slew him, upon which his army collapsed. The final uprising would begin in 929, the largest welsh army yet assembled, numbering some 12,000 men, led by lord Morgan Broderick, would engage in a serious bid to overthrow the mercian monarchy. this army would range the farthest, reaching Sherborne where Wulfferds third son, Morcar, would be slain. The armies would clash for the final time at the battle of London in april of 933. Though the welsh army would be destroyed, Wulfferd was mortally wounded and would die two months later, in june of 933, passing the throne to his only remaining son, ___________

855 - 886: Henry (Arnulfingian) [3]

aachen.jpg

Charlemagne
blutgericht012.jpg

Charles the Younger

Charles did not expand the Empire except in Spain, where he reclaimed Barcelona from the Moors. He died at the age of 77. He broke tradition by having named only one heir to inherit the entire Empire and had had his son, Lothair, crowned as co-Emperor in 830 so there was no doubt who would succeed him.

[2]
Lothair was Charles the Younger's only son, and only heir. Made Co-Emperor at the age of 35 in 830, he married Ingeltrude of Madrie and she swiftly provided three sons, the youngest of whom was shipped off to join the priesthood when it became clear the elder two would live to adulthood, marry and provide heirs. Lothair, however, had a very short reign of only six years - with his wife passing away after only two years as Empress. A mission to find a second wife for Lothair commenced, and Waldrada of Worms, daughter of Waldraith (whose father had been Charles I's brother-in-law) and Robert III of Worms, was pushed forward by her brother, Robert IV of Worms. But before the marriage could be consummated, the Emperor died of a sweating sickness and the new Empress was left widowed - so the imperial court began to maneuvere her as a bride for Lothairs unmarried second son, but he was resistant to the idea.

Lothair was replaced by his distant relative, Henry.

[3] Henry was a ruler from another Arnulfing line, from which the Karolings also came from. He was son of Dagobert, Count of Metz, married Ethelgarda, the daughter of Count Anjou, with whom he had three sons and four daughters. He was elected King of the Franks (855) and Western Roman Emperor (856). As an emperor, he led the Frankish troops to capture Zaragoza, leading further fights in Spain.

855 - 886: Henry (Arnulfingian) [3]
886 - 897: Pepin IV (Carolingian) [4]

aachen.jpg

Charlemagne
blutgericht012.jpg

Charles the Younger
[1]
Charles was the second son of Charlemagne to live to adulthood and became his prime heir when his older brother, Pippin the Hunchback, led a rebellion that failed in 792 when Charles was 20. In 796 a treaty was made between the Franks and Merica and Charles married Ælfflæd, the daughter of Offa. On Christmas Day 800 when his father was crowned Emperor of the Western Roman Empire (after 324 years of no Western Emperors), Charlemagne had Charles crowned King of the Franks; he was 28. His younger brother Pepin of Italy died of disease in 810 and then his youngest and only other surviving heir, Louis of Aquitane, died in 811 of a stroke. At the age of 41 he became the Emperor of the Western Holy Roman Empire and Ælfflæd was crowned Empress.

View attachment 416992

[2]

[3] Henry was a ruler from another Arnulfing line, from which the Karolings also came from. He was son of Dagobert, Count of Metz, married Ethelgarda, the daughter of Count Anjou, with whom he had three sons and four daughters. He was elected King of the Franks (855) and Western Roman Emperor (856). As an emperor, he led the Frankish troops to capture Zaragoza, leading further fights in Spain.

[4] After the death of Henry, many saw that his eldest son would become the next Holy Roman Emperor. However, Pepin, descending from Carloman, younger brother of Charlemagne, would plan to claim the throne. In the night, Henry's heir would be dead in his chambers, supposedly assassinated. Fearing that they would be next, Henry's surviving sons would flee from the realm and seek allies to fight for their claim. While the sons fled, Pepin would make a power-grab, grabbing the roles of Holy Roman Emperor and King of the Franks on the same week, leaving much distaste from the nobles . While in throne, Pepin would marry Hiltrude, a daughter of Henry to strengthen his claim. With Hiltrude, he would be cursed with only daughters. A son would not come. While many questioned Pepin's rule, he would try to gain the populace's favor, he led a major campaign in Spain, taking much land. He would plan to continue his invasion of Spain, until death befell the man. Viking raiders began sacking in the northern realm, and when Pepin came to face this threat at the Battle of Rouen.

In the beginning, the fight favored the Emperor. However, a contingent of soldiers led by Rollo The Walker would flank the Emperor's forces, and as he ordered his troops to hold their position, a spear was pierced into Pepin's chest. His men broke and the sight, and as the Viking army chased the Franks, Pepin died alone in the rot-filled battlefield. After his sudden death, many people wished to stake their claim on the Holy Roman Empire. Sons of Henry had made allies and wished to gain their birthright as Emperor. Nobles married to Pepin's daughters wished to have one of them be crowned Empress and have their dynasty rule afterwards. Even without any legal claim to the throne, many lords wished to wipe away current claims and place their houses at the throne.

Soon, Robert, third son of Henry, landed on the shores of where the rivers of Dordogne and Garonne split. William, spouse to Gisela, first daughter of Pepin IV, would have his wife crowned as Empress. The nobles of Austerasia would soon revolt after Gisela's coronation, saying a woman shouldn't rule the realm and naming Theuderic as the true Holy Roman Emperor, claiming he is descended from Childeric III, the last Merovingian king of the Franks, however with little truth to back it up. There is truly chaos in the realm under the reign of Empress Gisela.

849 - 855: Lothair I (Carolingian) [2]
855 - 886: Henry I (Arnulfingian) [3]

Years of many Emperors (897-922) [5]

897 - 911:
Gisela (Carolingian)
898 - 904: Lothair II (Carolingian)
897 - 936: Theudric V (Merovingian)
898 - 922: Henry II (Arnulfingian)
897 - 899: Robert (Arnulfingian)

Emperors of the Reformed Holy Roman Empire

aachen.jpg

Charlemagne
blutgericht012.jpg

Charles the Younger
[1]
Charles was the second son of Charlemagne to live to adulthood and became his prime heir when his older brother, Pippin the Hunchback, led a rebellion that failed in 792 when Charles was 20. In 796 a treaty was made between the Franks and Merica and Charles married Ælfflæd, the daughter of Offa. On Christmas Day 800 when his father was crowned Emperor of the Western Roman Empire (after 324 years of no Western Emperors), Charlemagne had Charles crowned King of the Franks; he was 28. His younger brother Pepin of Italy died of disease in 810 and then his youngest and only other surviving heir, Louis of Aquitane, died in 811 of a stroke. At the age of 41 he became the Emperor of the Western Holy Roman Empire and Ælfflæd was crowned Empress.

View attachment 416992

[2]

[4] After the death of Henry, many saw that his eldest son would become the next Holy Roman Emperor. However, Pepin, descending from Carloman, younger brother of Charlemagne, would plan to claim the throne. In the night, Henry's heir would be dead in his chambers, supposedly assassinated. Fearing that they would be next, Henry's surviving sons would flee from the realm and seek allies to fight for their claim. While the sons fled, Pepin would make a power-grab, grabbing the roles of Holy Roman Emperor and King of the Franks on the same week, leaving much distaste from the nobles . While in throne, Pepin would marry Hiltrude, a daughter of Henry to strengthen his claim. With Hiltrude, he would be cursed with only daughters. A son would not come. While many questioned Pepin's rule, he would try to gain the populace's favor, he led a major campaign in Spain, taking much land. He would plan to continue his invasion of Spain, until death befell the man. Viking raiders began sacking in the northern realm, and when Pepin came to face this threat at the Battle of Rouen.

In the beginning, the fight favored the Emperor. However, a contingent of soldiers led by Rollo The Walker would flank the Emperor's forces, and as he ordered his troops to hold their position, a spear was pierced into Pepin's chest. His men broke and the sight, and as the Viking army chased the Franks, Pepin died alone in the rot-filled battlefield. After his sudden death, many people wished to stake their claim on the Holy Roman Empire. Sons of Henry had made allies and wished to gain their birthright as Emperor. Nobles married to Pepin's daughters wished to have one of them be crowned Empress and have their dynasty rule afterwards. Even without any legal claim to the throne, many lords wished to wipe away current claims and place their houses at the throne.

Soon, Robert, third son of Henry, landed on the shores of where the rivers of Dordogne and Garonne split. William, spouse to Gisela, first daughter of Pepin IV, would have his wife crowned as Empress. The nobles of Austerasia would soon revolt after Gisela's coronation, saying a woman shouldn't rule the realm and naming Theuderic as the true Holy Roman Emperor, claiming he is descended from Childeric III, the last Merovingian king of the Franks, however with little truth to back it up. There is truly chaos in the realm under the reign of Empress Gisela.

[5] As war erupted across the whole of the HRE, it was split between four emperors. The first split came just after Empress Gisela's coronation, while she held held Aquitaine and Burgundy, Austerasia, Nuestria, and Saxony would declare for the young Theudric the "Merovingian" and spain would declare for Robert the Arnulfingian. the rest of the empire would remain silent on the matter until 898. In this one year, two more pretenders appeared. Lothair II, Pepin's nephew, who took Alemania and Bavaria, and Henry II, a cousin of Roberts, would take the italian holdings and be crowned Holy Roman Emperor by Pope Stephen VII.

With the battle lines drawn, conflict was immediate, but from an unexpected source. The first conflict broke out between the two Arnulfingian branches. Robert and Henry II's armys would clash repeatedly over the next two years, until, at the battle of Toulon in 899, Robert would be slain in battle, turning the spanish dominions over to the Popes Emperor. This would strengthen Henry II, but also made him a target for the other pretenders.

Then in 901, Theudric & Henry would ally to overthrow Lothair, who had just engaged Gisela's forces. within three years Lothair was a prisoner of Theudric's, and Gisela was on the back foot. By 910, Gisela had lost control of Burgundy and Aquitane was crumbling underneath her, she would surrender to Theudric the following year. this left only two claimants, Henry II, chosen man of the pope, and Theudric, chosen son of the northern empire. while a few years of peace would sit between the two emperors, by 913 they were once again at war. for nine years they would clash, until, in 922, Henry II and his lands were excommunicated by the rebellious Pope Theodore III, whom was formerly a cardinal from Theudrics own domains. From here Henry's power base collapsed, and Theudric was able to claim the throne. After he was coronated, Theufric would make the throne a Salic one, preventing any woman from holding the throne.

While he was victorious, Theudric would still have to fend off the other powers that had nibbled away at the empires borders in the quarter century long civil war. for the next fourteen years Theudric would spend time fighting against resurgent moors in spain, Byzantine incursions into italy, and german forces in east. Yet he would not be able to totally restore the empire, and would leave the work unfinished when he passed away in 936, leaving the throne to his son ________.

849 - 855: Lothair I (Carolingian) [2]
855 - 886: Henry I (Arnulfingian) [3]

Years of many Emperors (897-922) [5]

897 - 911:
Gisela (Carolingian)
898 - 904: Lothair II (Carolingian)
898 - 922: Henry II (Arnulfingian)
897 - 899: Robert (Arnulfingian)

Emperors of the Reformed Holy Roman Empire

936 - 973: Clovis V (Merovingian) [6]

aachen.jpg

Charlemagne
blutgericht012.jpg

Charles the Younger

[2]

[5] As war erupted across the whole of the HRE, it was split between four emperors. The first split came just after Empress Gisela's coronation, while she held held Aquitaine and Burgundy, Austerasia, Nuestria, and Saxony would declare for the young Theudric the "Merovingian" and spain would declare for Robert the Arnulfingian. the rest of the empire would remain silent on the matter until 898. In this one year, two more pretenders appeared. Lothair II, Pepin's nephew, who took Alemania and Bavaria, and Henry II, a cousin of Roberts, would take the italian holdings and be crowned Holy Roman Emperor by Pope Stephen VII.

With the battle lines drawn, conflict was immediate, but from an unexpected source. The first conflict broke out between the two Arnulfingian branches. Robert and Henry II's armys would clash repeatedly over the next two years, until, at the battle of Toulon in 899, Robert would be slain in battle, turning the spanish dominions over to the Popes Emperor. This would strengthen Henry II, but also made him a target for the other pretenders.

Then in 901, Theudric & Henry would ally to overthrow Lothair, who had just engaged Gisela's forces. within three years Lothair was a prisoner of Theudric's, and Gisela was on the back foot. By 910, Gisela had lost control of Burgundy and Aquitane was crumbling underneath her, she would surrender to Theudric the following year. this left only two claimants, Henry II, chosen man of the pope, and Theudric, chosen son of the northern empire. while a few years of peace would sit between the two emperors, by 913 they were once again at war. for nine years they would clash, until, in 922, Henry II and his lands were excommunicated by the rebellious Pope Theodore III, whom was formerly a cardinal from Theudrics own domains. From here Henry's power base collapsed, and Theudric was able to claim the throne. After he was coronated, Theufric would make the throne a Salic one, preventing any woman from holding the throne.

While he was victorious, Theudric would still have to fend off the other powers that had nibbled away at the empires borders in the quarter century long civil war. for the next fourteen years Theudric would spend time fighting against resurgent moors in spain, Byzantine incursions into italy, and german forces in east. Yet he would not be able to totally restore the empire, and would leave the work unfinished when he passed away in 936, leaving the throne to his son Clovis.

[6] Born in 912, the first son of Theudric was of course named after his famous forebear. During the years of his father's uncontested reign the foes threatening the Empire to the east were a buffer to the newest threat to Europe, the Maygars. In his first years, Clovis, realized the real threat was to the east of what had ever been part of the Empire and the way to bring the Germans and Italians into the fold, the way for them to realize they needed the Empire, was to pacify the Maygars.

In 937 Imperial forces invaded Pannonia and incorporated the heathens into the Empire. The king of the Maygars converted and bent the knee to the Emperor. Quickly the borders were secure everywhere except Spain. For the rest of his reign, Clovis' battles were expanding into Spain. Meanwhile the German tribes to the east one by one joined the Empire.

The result was that the Empire became the strongest it had been for a century. By the time his son, ___________, became Emperor, the Empire was no longer called "Western" or "Reformed," just "Holy."

Last edited: