Let's develop a language

Is the 'e' in 'pronombre' the same as 'ay' in your 'day'?

I say 'deh-ee', but you appear to say 'deh'.

I'd say it would be, I'll look in the guides to see what they say here in a minute.

Not really on the day pronunciation, theres not eh at all, but more of a dae.

Edit: I found other one for peso, but it pronounces it both your and our ways. Only found one for pronombre, and it pronounces it a third way!

Subscribed to this thread.

OMA47 the way you use r as a vowel is similar to the way you pronounce it in the words girl and bird. The "ir"sound in this word sounds more like a distorted "eh", which would be a vowel, than a combination of "i' and "r".
In this language a word written brd would sound similar to bird and a word written bírd would sound like beard.

Yeah, I've actually done something similer last time I tried to make a language (long story). Was just making sure.

Proposed vowels

Vowels: Aa Ee Ii/Yy Oo Uu/Ww Áá Úú Éé Rr я

Aa = gato
Ee = escribir
Ii/Yy = igualmente
Oo = poner
Uu/Ww = pusimos
Áá = cat
Úú = but
Éé = good
Rr = bird
Яя = Rr with rounded lips

Proposed consonants

Bb Cc Dd Ff Gg Hh Ḩḩ Jj Kk Ll Mm Nn Pp Rr RRrr Ss Şş Tt þÞ Vv Xx Zz

Bb = bath
Cc = 'th' as in 'bath'
Dd = dog
Ff = fizzy
Gg = guatemala
Hh = hat
Ḩḩ = loch/nochmal
Jj = judge
Kk = cake
Ll = lago
Mm = mom
Nn = no
Pp = pop
Rr = escribir
RRrr = perro
Ss = si
Şş = 'sh' as in 'shop'
Tt = tip
þÞ = 'th' as in 'the'
Vv = veinte
Xx = 'ch' as in 'chart'
Zz = zeta

Last edited:
I'd say it would be, I'll look in the guides to see what they say here in a minute.

Not really on the day pronunciation, theres not eh at all, but more of a dae.

Edit: I found other one for peso, but it pronounces it both your and our ways. Only found one for pronombre, and it pronounces it a third way!

What? This changes everything.

I thought Spanish was the one unified, pronounced-the-same-everywhere, one-letter-one-sound language in the world. The only differences being 'vos' 'usted' 'os' etc and slang.

What? This changes everything.

I thought Spanish was the one unified, same-everywhere, one-letter-one-sound language in the world.

No. There are major differences between actual Spanish Spanish, and Latin American Spanish, and even within Latin America, such as c = c in Mexico, but th in Spain. The best instance of this is how the two countries pronounce "Barcelona".

For instance, the Mexican pronounciation guide had my way of saying it, Spain's had it your way, and Agrentina's had it the third way, more of an "ee".

(Also, I believe some people will have trouble seeing that cyrillic x deal you have in there. I've got my font set up to handle pretty much any character, but it won't show that one).

Looks really good though may I suggest we give RRrr its own symbol. Not sure what would be an appropriate and easy to remember one though.

Looks really good though may I suggest we give RRrr its own symbol. Not sure what would be an appropriate and easy to remember one though.

We have plenty of odd symbols already.

No. There are major differences between actual Spanish Spanish, and Latin American Spanish, and even within Latin America, such as c = c in Mexico, but th in Spain. The best instance of this is how the two countries pronounce "Barcelona".

For instance, the Mexican pronounciation guide had my way of saying it, Spain's had it your way, and Agrentina's had it the third way, more of an "ee".

(Also, I believe some people will have trouble seeing that cyrillic x deal you have in there. I've got my font set up to handle pretty much any character, but it won't show that one).

We are using the Royal Academy's Spanish pronunciation then.

Ḩḩ = loch/nochmal

Nice! :) Perfect letter for the German 'ch' sound!

Hey, Xwarq, just a suggestion :), wouldn't it be a good idea to add both an English and a Spanish example whenever it is possible? Perhaps even giving each language its own color? Like "Ss = 'si'/'see'"? (Blue representing Spanish and red English, just an example)

Nice! :) Perfect letter for the German 'ch' sound!

Hey, Xwarq, just a suggestion :), wouldn't it be a good idea to add both an English and a Spanish example whenever it is possible? Perhaps even giving each language its own color? Like "Ss = 'si'/'see'"? (Blue representing Spanish and red English, just an example)
Sometimes only one of those languages has the sound however.

Proposed vowels

Vowels: Aa Ee Ii/Yy Oo Uu/Ww Áá Úú Éé Íí Rr я

Aa = walk/gato
Ee = Ted/escribir
Ii/Yy = bee/igualmente
Oo = poner
Uu/Ww = poo/pusimos
Áá = cat
Úú = but
Éé = good
Íí = kit
Rr = bird
Яя = Rr with rounded lips

Proposed consonants

Bb Cc Dd Ff Gg Hh Ḩḩ Jj Kk Ll Mm Nn Pp Rr RRrr Ss Şş Tt þÞ Vv Xx Zz

Bb = bath/beber
Cc = 'th' as in 'bath'
Dd = dog/decir
Ff = fizzy/elefante
Gg = gong/Guatemala
Hh = hat
Ḩḩ = loch/nochmal/México
Jj = judge
Kk = cake/querer
Ll = lake/lago
Mm = mom/madre
Nn = no/no
Pp = pop/poner
Rr = escribir
RRrr = perro
Ss = see/si
Şş = 'sh' as in 'shop'
Tt = tip/tener
þÞ = 'th' as in 'the' or 'Barcelona'
Vv = village/veinte
Xx = 'ch' as in 'chart' or 'Che'
Zz = ooze/zeta

Last edited:
I really like this thread :) Im subscribed!!!

Y'all really ought to try to use the IPA to avoid confusion over pronunciation.

I like the way we are doing it now. The IPA stuff is basically a new alphabet and I woudnt know what the pronouncation would be if we used only IPA.
The English and Spanish examples are good enough I think, If we try and keep to the Standard Castellano Spanish pronouncation and Received Prounciation for English (I think most people can do an immitation of RP at least ok!)

I really like this thread :) Im subscribed!!!

I like the way we are doing it now. The IPA stuff is basically a new alphabet and I woudnt know what the pronouncation would be if we used only IPA.
The English and Spanish examples are good enough I think, If we try and keep to the Standard Castellano Spanish pronouncation and Received Prounciation for English (I think most people can do an immitation of RP at least ok!)

I think Arizonan/some-of-California/Generic-American English would be best.

Most British accents silence the 'r' if it's before a consonant and that's not good. I'm pretty sure Received Pronunciation does so too.

The Generic-American English accent, in actual phones and phonemes, is similar to Received Pronunciation, it just doesn't sound aw-fully Bri-ish. ;)

Last edited:
Should we start on vocabulary soon, or does anyone have suggestions for the alphabet?

Is there any common sound we missed that could be done by a combination of letters?

Should we start on vocabulary soon, or does anyone have suggestions for the alphabet?

Is there any common sound we missed that could be done by a combination of letters?

Well, perhaps I have one more suggestion: Why don't we use the 'ñ' (nj) as it is used in Spanish? :)

I propose that instead of suffixes, we add modifiers to the start of a word, to add some style.

IE instead of quickly, it would be lyquick, but of couse it would look better when we actually make the modifiers.

We've missed the x sound as in taxi. But that can be done by placing K and S together as in Turkish. So taxi would be written as Táksi.

I propose that instead of suffixes, we add modifiers to the start of a word, to add some style.

IE instead of quickly, it would be lyquick, but of couse it would look better when we actually make the modifiers.

I like this idea. makes it much more interesting.

Should we work on basic grammar or vocabulary first. Probably be best to start off with a set of pronouns and the tenses.

On the note of grammar I suggest we do make a differentiation on gender and number. I am not a fan of the neuter gender but we should keep male female singular and plural. (Although including a limited plural for pairs would be interesting).

Last edited:
What will the vocabulary be based on exactly? Will it be based on a certain language group? Or a combination of more language groups (like Esperanto)? Or completely independent from them (like Klingon)?