Let's develop a language (Take 2)

Using the past thread as a guideline, we will develop a language.

There will be a couple differences that we will definitely have with this one. For one, no completely made up words. They have to have a real basis in some language. Secondly, we will develop it in this order:

- What languages we base it on

- Alphabet

- Rules and grammar rules, tiny amount of vocabulary just to make examples, or: **
---- rules (adjective before noun? Adjective after noun?) stressing of syllables (how to denote it, and how is it done when there's no denotation of it? etc.)
---- grammar rules (target before or after verb? Is the doer of the verb embedded into the verb? Reflexive? What are the tenses? etc.)

- Vocabulary
---- Pronouns
---- Tenses, prefixes, suffixes
---- Nouns, verbs, adjectives

- Other stuff. Should the language have a different script? What culture do the speakers have? Where are they? etc.

When we get to the vocabulary stage, one must describe the origin of the words. From what real word in which language does it derive from? For example, "Altra = Tall (Spanish Alto/Alta)"

** We may actually not develop the vocabulary until we are completely done with rules and grammar, for example: (I) (it eats) (monster) (blue), showing that adjectives go after nouns, and the target goes before the doer and verb. If you guys think that's a bad idea, say so and, as I said, we'll sort of develop the alphabet and make a miniscule vocabulary so that we can make examples for grammar.

So, first thing: What languages do we base it on?

Last edited:
You're allowed to suggest multiple languages. Then we will do a vote (not with a poll though) of which group of languages is most desired. (after a lot of people have suggested ones though)

I suggest Spanish and Breton. And Greek.

Last edited:
You're allowed to suggest multiple languages. Then we will do a vote (not with a poll though) of which group of languages is most desired. (after a lot of people have suggested ones though)

I suggest Spanish and Breton. And Greek.
Yeah, I think including a Celtic language would be interesting.

The most interesting thing to do would be an Eastern Med/Balkans language. Perhaps with a Magyar style into a traditional Greco-Slavik region to give a mixture of Greek and Serbian with Hungarian loanwords/influences.

The most interesting thing to do would be an Eastern Med/Balkans language. Perhaps with a Magyar style into a traditional Greco-Slavik region to give a mixture of Greek and Serbian with Hungarian loanwords/influences.

It ought to have a large amount of Latin influence, probably through Spanish. I suggest against any South Slavic influences, unless they're minor.

I say the language with the most influence should be Spanish, then Greek, then Breton, then Hindi, then tiny bits of Russian. The Hindi, Breton, and Russian words are Spanicized though.

EDIT: Should we put 'weight' on the 3 languages we want the most? giving more "points", and then we add all the points up to decide which languages to use?

I would say:

Spanish - 3
Breton - 2
Greek - 1

Last edited:
For the primary language base I suggest Nahuatl, with Tamil coming in second and Hittite being third.

:D

So the total points are (this only counts the people who posted three that they would want the most; so there's not really a point in making a list already but...)

Spanish - 3
Nahuatl - 3
Breton - 2
Tamil - 2
Greek - 1
Hittite - 1

I second Nahuatl, but may I also suggest Sumerian? I tihnk it has a nice sound, and that it would be fun to base the language off of a non-European language.

Sumerian-3
Nahuatl-2
Yucatec Maya-1

Also would suggest checking out this as a guideline for a good way to conlang.

Last edited:
You have to say it in a 'point' format out of three languages. The one you want most gets 3, the one you want 2nd most gets 2, the one you want least gets 1.

Greek (2), Nahuatl (3) and Gaelic (1). Just cause that would be so bizarre :).

I'm dissapointed I didn't see the old language thread earlier. I've always wanted to do my on conlag, but I don't think I have the knowledge...

Current points (no one wants Spanish? fooey. That's the only language besides English I know anything about)

Nahuatl - 8
Breton - 5
Greek - 5
Spanish - 3
Sumerian - 3
Tamil - 2
Hittite - 1
Romansch - 1
Gaelic - 1
Yucatec Maya - 1

You've missed out the oh so important "chose what sounds to use in your language" part of conlanging in your steps. What use is a writing system (why restrict yourself simply to alphabets when there are abugidas and abjads and what not out there to chose from as well?) if you don't know what sounds you are making symbols for?

You've missed out the oh so important "chose what sounds to use in your language" part of conlanging in your steps. What use is a writing system (why restrict yourself simply to alphabets when there are abugidas and abjads and what not out there to chose from as well?) if you don't know what sounds you are making symbols for?

Sounds is part of the alphabet.

We are using alphabets for ease and because denoting vowels with dots or dashes or nothing at all simply convolutes things, at least in my opinion. Alphabets represent all the sounds that are used. Abjads and abugidas only represent a few, and do the rest with dots or dashes.

After we have most of the stuff done, then is when we may or may not make a unique script for the language. The unique script might be an abjad or abugida.