Lands of Red and Gold, Act II

Oh?

OTL, cotton was a very niche market until the invention of the Cotton Gin, which won't have happened yet ITTL at this point of the story.

The sheer amount of effort required to pick out the seeds meant that it was very, very expensive.

Linen/flax was the main plant fiber until then. IIRC.

I dunno if it was that niche or expensive: cotton was widely worn in China and India, and in England cheap cotton cloth from India by the 1700s was being used by the middle class as well as the rich. Sure, the majority was still woolens and linens until the 19th century, but it wasn't insignificant as a trade item. And wasn't most world trade before the age of mass manufactures luxury goods? :)

Bruce

OTL, cotton was a very niche market until the invention of the Cotton Gin, which won't have happened yet ITTL at this point of the story.

The sheer amount of effort required to pick out the seeds meant that it was very, very expensive.

Picking the seeds out of Indian cotton required manual labour, but not enough to price it out of the market. For the species of cotton native to the Old World, the cotton fibres were not attached as securely to the seeds as they were in short-staple cotton (aka Mexican or upland cotton). Nor, for that matter, were they so securely attached in the long-staple cotton species (aka Sea Island cotton) grown in more tropical regions of the New World.

Seed extraction was only a really serious problem with short-staple cotton, where the amount of manual labour required to remove the seeds meant that it was pretty much unviable as a cash crop until the invention of the cotton gin. (Short-staple cotton was easier to grow, though, which was why it became the dominant crop during the nineteenth century; it could be grown in so many more places.)

Cotton was in sufficient demand that in Britain alone, the EIC imported a quarter of a million pieces of woven cotton textiles by 1664. By the 1690s, imported cotton textiles (from India) were deemed such a threat to wool manufactures that the British Parliament passed a series of acts (the Calico Acts) banning their importation, although thread and raw cotton could still be brought in. In the 1720s, Britain was importing ~680 tonnes of cotton a year.

Cotton wasn't yet the biggest fibre being used in textiles, but it was widespread enough that it couldn't really be classified as niche. I expect that Aururia will have a similar interest in cotton textiles, particularly when compared to linen. (Wool might be somewhat more competitive.)

Linen/flax was the main plant fiber until then. IIRC.

Linen was certainly used a great deal in Europe, though if I remember right wool was the main competitor to imported cotton. Wool and silk textile manufacturing were the main industries which the Calico Acts were aimed at protecting (together with a desire to stem the trade imbalance with India, which led to fears of loss of bullion to there).

I dunno if it was that niche or expensive: cotton was widely worn in China and India, and in England cheap cotton cloth from India by the 1700s was being used by the middle class as well as the rich. Sure, the majority was still woolens and linens until the 19th century, but it wasn't insignificant as a trade item. And wasn't most world trade before the age of mass manufactures luxury goods? :)

Cotton textiles were certainly extremely desireable to both the wealthy and middle classes. And by the standards of the time, it would count as a luxury good (though much bulkier than traditional spices).

Jared has asked me to post this, since the map is done but post 100 is still in the works, as something to hold everyone’s interest.

South East Aururia and Aotearoa in the year 1700, showing the struggle of colonising powers.

96csqkm.png

Good maps, Scarecrow!:) TTL future Aururia will be a collection of colonies (and later nations) with very different external influences.

Jared has asked me to post this, since the map is done but post 100 is still in the works, as something to hold everyone’s interest.

South East Aururia and Aotearoa in the year 1700, showing the struggle of colonising powers.

Thanks again for creating this; 'tis a very good map.

EDIT: A couple of Maori states haven't been labelled - is this deliberate? (i.e. they haven't been consolidated into proper kingdoms, or gobbled up by someone else)

Scarecrow has already amended the map to show this, but essentially these are the areas that are uninhabitable in human terms. The one in the centre of the South Island is the highest parts of the Southern Alps; icy and rugged enough that a mountain goat would fall off most of it. The southwest corner is Fiordland; just as rugged if not quite as high, and where they measure the rainfall in terms of metres per year. This is not good for Aururian crops even if the would-be farmers can find a patch of flat ground there to try to plant crops anyway.

Good maps, Scarecrow!:) TTL future Aururia will be a collection of colonies (and later nations) with very different external influences.

It's also worth noting that this map also represents the European interpretation of who's a colony/client of who. The peoples in question may not necessarily always think of themselves the same way. For instance, the Yadji believe that the English are their allies, not their masters, and if the Tjibarri were told that they were Dutch clients, they would just grin.

Sorry if I couldn't find them, but are there Portuguese on the map?

Ah, the eternal mystery.

Ninja Portuguese: not only invisible, but their very existence unknown.

It's the most cunning sort of colonial empire, where they have influence without even needing to appear on a map...

I noticed that as well and wondered if there was a follow in map showing the rest of the continent. Maybe some Portuguese outposts up in the north?

Pretty much. The next map in the works shows broader European colonial expansion throughout India, East Asia, SE Asia and Aururia. The same colour scheme is used for both, so the Portuguese would naturally have Timor, Goa, Macau etc.

And yes, there are Portuguese in northern Aururia. Those outposts are more Catholic missions than anything else, though. For with one small but valuable exception, they don't find much worth trading for in northern Aururia, unless they acquire a sudden fondness for sea cucumbers.

More generally, the delay in creating a second map (and post #100) is due to an unexpected university course getting in the way, and a few other life matters. Hopefully there will be an update soon.

Looking at this map reminds me of something I've been curious about.
You've made some statements about the population of Aururia, but what kind of population can Aotearoa boast?

Looking at this map reminds me of something I've been curious about.
You've made some statements about the population of Aururia, but what kind of population can Aotearoa boast?

Before European diseases started hitting c.1630, somewhere between 3-4 million. The population was still growing at that point, too; the Māori had not yet reached the carrying capacity of the islands.

Since then, with plagues and worsening warfare, the population is of course considerably lower.

What's happened to the Fauna of New Zealand?:(:confused:

Very little that's good, unfortunately. Much higher population density, leading to considerable habitat destruction, together with the earlier introduction of mammalian carnivores (quolls), has done much the same thing as happened after Europeans arrived in OTL, only earlier.

mojojojo

Gone Fishin'
Very little that's good, unfortunately. Much higher population density, leading to considerable habitat destruction, together with the earlier introduction of mammalian carnivores (quolls), has done much the same thing as happened after Europeans arrived in OTL, only earlier.

So it is pretty much a given that the kiwis are gone before the Europeans get there

So it is pretty much a given that the kiwis are gone before the Europeans get there

Depends on which species of kiwi you're talking about.

The little spotted kiwi nearly went extinct in OTL, saved only by a significant conservation effort by relocating some of them to a predator-free offshore island. That won't have happened in OTL, so the little spotted kiwi will be gone.

The great spotted kiwi will probably survive; in OTL, it has survived on the mainland of Aotearoa in upland areas where mammalian predators are fewer.

The various species/subspecies of brown kiwi (researchers differ how to classify it) may or may not survive. They've coped in OTL, to a certain extent. At the very least, the population on Stewart Island would survive; there are no quolls there.

mojojojo

Gone Fishin'
Depends on which species of kiwi you're talking about.

The little spotted kiwi nearly went extinct in OTL, saved only by a significant conservation effort by relocating some of them to a predator-free offshore island. That won't have happened in OTL, so the little spotted kiwi will be gone.

The great spotted kiwi will probably survive; in OTL, it has survived on the mainland of Aotearoa in upland areas where mammalian predators are fewer.

The various species/subspecies of brown kiwi (researchers differ how to classify it) may or may not survive. They've coped in OTL, to a certain extent. At the very least, the population on Stewart Island would survive; there are no quolls there.

Other than quolls have any other Australian marsupials been introduced to NZ in this TL?