Keynes' Cruisers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering if you are planning any changes to the Tizard Mission. I have seen comments on this board that Britain did not negotiate any royalty payments or other financial arrangement for the post war period. It is my understanding that this was driven by high material losses from the Battle of France and the need for large quantities of military equipment. Since Britain is in better shape, will they negotiate better terms for the post war period?

"The objective of the mission was to cooperate in science and technology with the U.S., which was neutral and, in many quarters, unwilling to become involved in the war. The U.S. had greater resources for development and production, which Britain desperately wanted to use. The information provided by the British delegation was subject to carefully vetted security procedures, and contained some of the greatest scientific advances made during the war. The shared technology included radar (in particular the greatly improved cavity magnetron which the American historian James Phinney Baxter III later called "the most valuable cargo ever brought to our shores"),[1] the design for the VT fuse, details of Frank Whittle's jet engine and the Frisch–Peierls memorandum describing the feasibility of an atomic bomb. Though these may be considered the most significant, many other items were also transported, including designs for rockets, superchargers, gyroscopic gunsights, submarine detection devices, self-sealing fuel tanks and plastic explosives.

The American Congress had many proponents of neutrality for the USA and so there were further barriers to co-operation. Tizard decided that the most productive approach would be simply to give the information and use America's productive capacity. Neither Winston Churchill nor the radar pioneer, Robert Watson-Watt, were initially in agreement with these tactics for the mission. Nevertheless, Tizard first arranged for Archibald Hill, another scientific member of the committee, to go to Washington to explore the possibilities. Hill's report to Tizard was optimistic."

Thank you

Stubear1012

Well if that was the zenith of the BoB, Germany will once again see its unability to conquer the UK by air power alone.

Maybe something can happen to Leigh-Mallory and his cronies and allow Park to get a posting that gives him full recognition.

Story 0346
September 7, 1940 east of Vilpuri, Finland

Five hundred volunteers were in the wood line just east of the industrial city. They had spent every Saturday since the truce digging trenches, digging bunkers and digging anti-tank ditches. Today they were mainly focused on pouring concrete over steel rebar that the contracted crews and the Army conscripts had set up over the work week. Two thousand tons of concrete would be poured. Three more bunkers would be complete and a dozen more would be closer to completion. Over the next week, a dozen anti-tank guns from Germany, Poland and America would be wheeled into place. Half a dozen captured Belgian guns had been bought from Germany and they already commanded the likeliest approach from the new Soviet frontier.

Concrete was an amazing substitute for blood. It was the second most common import from the United States behind gasoline. A better and stronger line would be built than the line that had stopped the Red Army for months. It would not keep them out forever, but it would make them bleed for every inch. The lessons of the first war would be used if a second had to be fought.

Last edited:
Story 0347
September 10, 1940 just east of the Libyan/Egyptian border

The section leader looked one more time at the long column of trucks and tankettes stretching out in front of him. The Morris CS9 armored car was hidden behind a dune and then underneath well placed netting. His car carried both a Boys anti-tank rifle and a Bren gun but these weapons were not his main weapon. Instead it was the radio. He called his platoon leader and informed him of what he saw beneath him. He was told to hold his section firm and keep quiet. The young officer used his more powerful radio to request a bombing raid.

Three hours later, half a dozen bomber-transports attacked the Italian invasion columns. Most of the bombs missed and the few that landed near the Italian columns did little damage as the soft sand blunted most of the explosive force of the small general purpose bombs. The Hussar scouts maintained their watch as the Italians paused before the border as the warm day turned into a cool night. Section commanders agitated with their platoon leaders and the platoon leaders pestered their squadron commanders for permission to attack the Italian positions and outposts. It was denied. Their mission was to observe and report while allowing the RAF and the artillery to harass the Italian army.

Story 0348
September 10,1940 1645 303 Squadron RAF Northolt

Cribbage pegs scattered as the station klaxon sounded for the first time in two days. Ground crews spun the propellers of the Hawks as the twelve pilots on alert scampered into their mounts. Information was filtering in over the radio net. Half a dozen fast photo birds were incoming. The Germans had started to shift their attacks from day light raids to night time raids. The Polish pilots were incapable of defending London at night. A few dozen crews were responsible for that special mission in their aircraft.

Within seven minutes, all twelve planes were in the air. Thirty five minutes, three kills were claimed, and one ME-110 was trailing smoke as the pilot found friendly cloud cover.

Later that night as the pilots slept underground in an impromptu bunker, the London was bombed. Historians would mark tonight as the start of the London Blitz.

The Blitz is now on and the long wait will lead to thousands of deaths. Both sides will send bombers by night and sleep by day. To the South the UK will face off the Italian armies and maybe do better ITTL. If Malta get get more supplies and planes they may be able to more damage to Axis convoys.

With the extra losses so far by the Germans and the better situation for the British the Africa Korps may never happen. It is possible Italy may lose in Africa before the Germans get involved or Hitler decides he can not afford to send those troops. Crete will not be falling i.t.t.l. due to the destruction of the German paratroopers in Norway. The butterflies are flapping hard at this point.

With the extra losses so far by the Germans and the better situation for the British the Africa Korps may never happen. It is possible Italy may lose in Africa before the Germans get involved or Hitler decides he can not afford to send those troops. Crete will not be falling i.t.t.l. due to the destruction of the German paratroopers in Norway. The butterflies are flapping hard at this point.
There will be a different Sunflower to say the least as I have some discretion for October, November and December to figure out which direction I want to take some things.

There will be a different Sunflower to say the least as I have some discretion for October, November and December to figure out which direction I want to take some things.
By the way, any good German corps commanders available for mid-winter 1941 now that Rommel is out of the way? I know where I want my British commanders to be, but I don't have a good sense of my German commanders.

By the way, any good German corps commanders available for mid-winter 1941 now that Rommel is out of the way? I know where I want my British commanders to be, but I don't have a good sense of my German commanders.
Ludwig Crüwell was the actual commander of the Afrika Corps from end July 1941 ( Rommel became commander Panzer Army Afrika ) , Walther Nehring replaced him when Cruwell's pilot mistook British troops for Italian in march 1942 and landed next to them leading to the Generals capture.

Great story.
I'm curently on your 0251 story post on the french gold and there is some few problems

So what did germany use the polish and french gold reserves to buy OTL? Romanian oil?

Oil, mineral ores, swedish ball bearings etc.

French (and polish) gold was never capture by the germans in WW2. Here a link to a french article : http://archives.investir.fr/2007/jd...e-la-france-sont-sauvees-in-extremis-en-.php#
In may 1940, 800 tons of french gold are already in the US, 299 more tons arrives the 29th in Halifax. At the Armistice, the Emile-Bertin was in Halifax with 254 tons of gold, she escaped the british and canadians and went to the Martinique. The rest (1 260 tons of french and belgian gold) were evacued from Brest and Lorient to Casablanca then to Dakar. The gold was stored in Kaynes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayes in now Mali for the rest of the war
The belgian gold (57 tons) and 10 tons from Luxembourg, Tchecoslovakia, Norway and the 3 Balts states will later come back from Africa on orders from the Vichy "government" and will end up in germans hands.
After the war, the provisional french government paid back the Belgian (I don't know about the others but i think Luxembourg, Tchecoslovakia and Norway were paid back too).

Just some other typo and little problems on the french organisation :
- the french air force is "Armée de l'air" not Amee d'Aire,
- it's Marseille with no s, Marseilles was a German pilot ace of WW2. I'm also certain that no Battleships were based in the city, the french fleet was based in Toulon before the Armistice, then went to Mers-El-Kébir, and after the British attack, they went back to Toulon where they scutled themself in November 1942.
- one last thing, you have a french bomber, from the Armée de l'air patrol the Gulf of Biscay. It's far more probable that it's Marine Nationale floatplane.

Please keep up the good work!

Great story.
I'm curently on your 0251 story post on the french gold and there is some few problems

French (and polish) gold was never capture by the germans in WW2. Here a link to a french article : http://archives.investir.fr/2007/jd...e-la-france-sont-sauvees-in-extremis-en-.php#
In may 1940, 800 tons of french gold are already in the US, 299 more tons arrives the 29th in Halifax. At the Armistice, the Emile-Bertin was in Halifax with 254 tons of gold, she escaped the british and canadians and went to the Martinique. The rest (1 260 tons of french and belgian gold) were evacued from Brest and Lorient to Casablanca then to Dakar. The gold was stored in Kaynes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayes in now Mali for the rest of the war
The belgian gold (57 tons) and 10 tons from Luxembourg, Tchecoslovakia, Norway and the 3 Balts states will later come back from Africa on orders from the Vichy "government" and will end up in germans hands.
After the war, the provisional french government paid back the Belgian (I don't know about the others but i think Luxembourg, Tchecoslovakia and Norway were paid back too).

Just some other typo and little problems on the french organisation :
- the french air force is "Armée de l'air" not Amee d'Aire,
- it's Marseille with no s, Marseilles was a German pilot ace of WW2. I'm also certain that no Battleships were based in the city, the french fleet was based in Toulon before the Armistice, then went to Mers-El-Kébir, and after the British attack, they went back to Toulon where they scutled themself in November 1942.
- one last thing, you have a french bomber, from the Armée de l'air patrol the Gulf of Biscay. It's far more probable that it's Marine Nationale floatplane.

Please keep up the good work!
Thanks

Allways happy to help.
Has a frenchman and alsacian, i'm glad to see that your timeline don't describe 1940 french soldiers as "surender monkeys" just as people with a really poor leadership. So if you have question on France or french sources, don't hesitate to ask.
I saw other little twists (but not that problematic) :
- the young girl who lives near Strasbourg (in french) or Straßburg (in German) has a french name and lives in a little town. After 1919, french public servants came back in Alsace (especialy in the cities), but nearly all the inhabitants of the region had a germanic surname like Meyer or Straumann (or more complicated). Plus, the government evacuate every inhabitant who lived near the German border (including my grand father) into south-western France (they came back during summer 1940) so the area is pretty empty of civilans (including Strasbourg). http://www.tampow3945.com/l-evacuation-septembre-1939.php#1123
- the 1st DCr was equiped in B1 bis and H 39 tanks, not S-35 who equiped the three DLMs
- the french and polish land forces in Norway was far better equiped than their british counterparts. There were assembled, at first, to fight in Finland via Narvik and Sweden, most were mountain forces and they were landed with their equipment (not like some british units). The 13th Demi-Brigade de la Légion Etrangère was the only constitued regiment to join de Gaulle, possibly because there was many former spanish republicans in the unit. It will become one of the best free french unit, participate in the Dakar expedition and notably fight at Bir-Hakeim https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bir_Hakeim

Allways happy to help.
Has a frenchman and alsacian, i'm glad to see that your timeline don't describe 1940 french soldiers as "surender monkeys" just as people with a really poor leadership. So if you have question on France or french sources, don't hesitate to ask.
I saw other little twists (but not that problematic) :
- the young girl who lives near Strasbourg (in french) or Straßburg (in German) has a french name and lives in a little town. After 1919, french public servants came back in Alsace (especialy in the cities), but nearly all the inhabitants of the region had a germanic surname like Meyer or Straumann (or more complicated). Plus, the government evacuate every inhabitant who lived near the German border (including my grand father) into south-western France (they came back during summer 1940) so the area is pretty empty of civilans (including Strasbourg). http://www.tampow3945.com/l-evacuation-septembre-1939.php#1123
- the 1st DCr was equiped in B1 bis and H 39 tanks, not S-35 who equiped the three DLMs
- the french and polish land forces in Norway was far better equiped than their british counterparts. There were assembled, at first, to fight in Finland via Narvik and Sweden, most were mountain forces and they were landed with their equipment (not like some british units). The 13th Demi-Brigade de la Légion Etrangère was the only constitued regiment to join de Gaulle, possibly because there was many former spanish republicans in the unit. It will become one of the best free french unit, participate in the Dakar expedition and notably fight at Bir-Hakeim https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bir_Hakeim

My daughters in laws live in Alsace, and have since before Franco Prussian War. They have a French name. They live not to far East of Selestat.

Allways happy to help.

The units that had the most problems were the least trained reservists (as would be expected) who did not have full kit and who were asked to fight a battle that they were not intended to fight against the best forces and the most supported enemy spearpoint. 3rd line units against 1st rate units are usually in trouble. Everything I have read says the French in Belgium were doing reasonably well on a tactical level but had been beaten on a strategic and operational level. No fault of anyone below the Army Group if not the General HQ level. And once Case Red kicked into play, the French units fought and fought hard. They were outnumbered and beaten once their lines could be breached as the Germans had a better armor doctrine and less fear of the air shooting up their supply trucks than the French counter-attack units. Again, this is a command level problem not a grunt level problem.

That is how I'm telling the story -- does that jive with you?

I've updated the 1st DCR post. I'll have something interesting for the Legionaires to do... not sure when or where yet, though

Last edited:
My daughters in laws live in Alsace, and have since before Franco Prussian War. They have a French name. They live not to far East of Selestat.

I'm basing the Anna Marie character off of a former teacher of mine. That individual had a very French sounding name and lived between 10 and 20 kilometers west or southwest of Strausburg from 1932 to 1948.

Regarding the original source of this discussion, it seems the evacuation zone if 4 to 6 kilometers from the German border so my Anna Marie lives west of the evacuation zone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.