Keynes' Cruisers Volume 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fester: I know you have very important real-life business to devote your future efforts to, but have you given thought to shifting your two epics over to the completed Timeline thread? Or even to a published for sale editions? :biggrin:
Seconded. I would love to read them as an Amazon ebook and would be happy to pay a reasonable amount ($5 or so) for the privilege. I can think of at least three other TL authors on the board who have gone that route.

Someone Sam Rayburn (TTL President) could trust for the delicate diplomacy. It might/might not even be the same post-war foreign affairs in general back in Washnington and Europe for the US.

Having written that: Admiral Nimitz? He'd have credibility with surviving Japanese leadership, but he might prefer his OTL post-war responsibiliities of winding down the US fleet and changing its mission. If not Nimitz, I haven't a real clue.

*Edit* Maybe Admiral Spruance? He's another leader who the Japanese would respect and he was under-used in the post-war Navy
Would Admiral Hart or General Wainwright (Who took over the Philippines command in this timeline) be suitable candidates?

Fester: I know you have very important real-life business to devote your future efforts to, but have you given thought to shifting your two epics over to the completed Timeline thread? Or even to a published for sale editions? :biggrin:
Once I complete it, it will move .... as far as for sale version.... ask me next spring

Since the Pacific is mainly a Navy operation, CINCPAC has a naval commander, I would see Spruance getting the job if Nimitz has anything to say.

Would Admiral Hart or General Wainwright (Who took over the Philippines command in this timeline) be suitable candidates?
Admiral Hart would be about 69 years old. He was granted special dispensation in late 1940 to stay on until relieved. OTL he retired in 1944 to become Senator for Connecticut.

Story 2957
Hungnam, Korea July 31, 1945

The 7th Marines landed at the small port. There was no fire. The only Japanese soldiers present were unarmed and they had long flag poles to guide the American landing craft into the docks. Soon the Marines were assembling. First platoons formed, and then companies. Infantrymen boarded jeeps and DUKWS and two and a half ton trucks before heading inland and to the north. By nightfall, the Marines were encountering, as expected, Red Army checkpoints near a large reservoir.

It will be very interesting to see where the new lines of contact are. It looks like the Russians are trying to grab what they can, for looting and/or diplomatic purposes. This lets them grab some diplomatic chips to be played elsewhere, or space to try to set up some puppets/vassals. It will be particularly interesting to see the borders of "North Korea".

ITTL was there any deal encouraging the Russians to join in the war on Japan, similar to the OTL arrangements?

Story 2958
Near Strasbourg, France August 1, 1945

Wednesdays could not start better than this....

Anna Marie stretched her toes and arched her back, driving her shoulder into the naked chest of her new found lover. He had come to her a week ago, and even within that time, his French had improved dramatically. She told him last night what she desired in French and he was, with only a minimal amount of guidance, able to accomplish what she wanted and needed. Her movements were slow and methodical as she slid out of bed and tucked her lover back under the thin cover. She paused and debated if there was enough time for another rapid round. She shook her head and moved to her morning absolutions.

She paused as she heard her brother attempt to boil water. He was newly demobilized and had invited his friend and comrade in arms into their home. An American soldier staying with her, an unmarried and suspect woman with a very short hair cut would have at least raised hackles and whispers, but an American soldier staying for a week with a fellow liberator who just happened to have a younger sister in the house would be seen as nothing remarkable. It might prompt an older woman to buy the man a small glass of wine, as someone's mamere had done on Monday night. But no more, and no less.

She smiled as she looked at the alarm clock. She had at least another twenty minutes before she needed to get ready for work. A warm bed and a happy man awaited her.

It will be very interesting to see where the new lines of contact are. It looks like the Russians are trying to grab what they can, for looting and/or diplomatic purposes. This lets them grab some diplomatic chips to be played elsewhere, or space to try to set up some puppets/vassals. It will be particularly interesting to see the borders of "North Korea".

ITTL was there any deal encouraging the Russians to join in the war on Japan, similar to the OTL arrangements?
There was an agreement of a September 1st Russian entry into the Far East. Post-war borders and the Far East post-war general settlement had broad contours of agreements ( Soviet buffer zones in Mongolia, Manchuria and Korea) but details as to where stop lines would be had been left up in the air.

Being an American soldier staying with a French friend might get him a glass of wine bought by a grandmother
I’m not sure the French would be as careful of propriety as your first post indicated. But it depends on the town and locality I guess.

A glass of wine seems reasonable though for Liberation from Les Boches.

I’m not sure the French would be as careful of propriety as your first post indicated. But it depends on the town and locality I guess.

A glass of wine seems reasonable though for Liberation from Les Boches.
Given that Anna Marie had a very short hair cut, drawing attention to herself as a social transgressor, even with an American, might not be the wisest decision from her point of view. She had little social capital to lean on. Her brother is fine with this. He might not appreciate hearing his sister getting plowed like a spring field in the next room over but far worse things have happened.

Story 2959
Lowell, Massachusetts, August 2, 1945

"Mr. and Mrs. Donohue, the house is now yours." Patrick smiled as the banker handed him the key to the triplex. His wife loosely gripped his arm and smiled. The entire process had gone quickly. It helped that the seller was a family friend who was anxious to get rid of the property. The only hang-up was that the seller's grandparents did not want to leave their second floor apartment which the Donoghues wanted for themselves. The dispute was resolved over a meal. They would move the older couple to the rear apartment on the first floor and guaranteed a rent freeze for five years. The couple had taken out a small mortgage, it was less than the cash that they still had in their bank accounts, but the mortgage gave them a cushion.

"Thank you. We really appreciate the time you spent getting us into our house. Now I have to carry my bride over our threshold... see you at South Common on Saturday for the ball game?"

"See you then"

Story 2960
Otago, New Zealand August 3, 1945

Half a dozen ewes baa'hhed in horror as somehow they felt the last boot of the 2nd New Zealand Division board a trooper that was due to take the division home for demobilization.

Otago, New Zealand August 3, 1945

Half a dozen ewes baa'hhed in horror as somehow they felt the last boot of the 2nd New Zealand Division board a trooper that was due to take the division home for demobilization.
fester??? What are you implying?? Shame on you!!!

Fester, Did the Donohue's get a VA loan under the provisions of the GI Bill? He was certainly entitled.
No, a mortgage from a local ethnic/religious based credit union where the combination of a 70% cash down payment, and the loan officers having known both families for 2+ generations made things go easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.