Keynes' Cruisers Volume 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Story 2837
East of Brandenburg, April 15, 1945

Slim Williamson sipped his coffee even as his stomach was unsettled. The rumble of artillery that he had barely heard for a week of exploitation had started up again in the morning when the cavalry ran into roadblocks and hard points that they could not just bum rush. A few burning jeeps and half tracks later, the forward infantry companies had started to deploy fixing forces as other companies from the lead battalion of two of his regiments began to look for ways to go around whatever positions shattered German remnants had held. They had done this a few times in the past week, and usually the Germans broke once they were flanked. The one time that they had to fight French volunteers, they had fought to death or incapacitation. He had spent more time in a field hospital that night than he had in a month visiting the freshly wounded boys.

The first flanking attack failed. There was a thick minefield covered by mortars and machine guns. The divisional artillery had taken most of the morning to get sited and situated even as a deliberate attack was being planned for late afternoon. The guns had started to fire ten minutes ago. A battalion was demonstrating while two other battalions supported by all the tanks attached to the division were moving to hit the other flank of the German position. Even as they advanced, a few anti-tank shells screamed out of the German lines. Forward controllers soon moved mortar shells onto the likely dugouts of the heavy anti-tank guns. Soon the artillery ceased and the crack of rifle shots and the thump of grenades began.

Story 2838
Newport News Naval Shipyard, April 16, 1945

The mighty carrier slowly left her moorings under her own power for the first time. Half a dozen tugs were assisting her to the channel. Soon, USS Wake Island was past her still under construction sisters. As she cleared the harbor defenses, two destroyers, one fresh from her shake down cruise and another built a decade ago and had only come back to the East Coast after taking damage supporting the landings in France. The massive ship nimbly followed the bouys until she and her companions cleared the Capes where her initial sea trials could begin.

Newport News Naval Shipyard, April 16, 1945

The mighty carrier slowly left her moorings under her own power for the first time. Half a dozen tugs were assisting her to the channel. Soon, USS Wake Island was past her still under construction sisters. As she cleared the harbor defenses, two destroyers, one fresh from her shake down cruise and another built a decade ago and had only come back to the East Coast after taking damage supporting the landings in France. The massive ship nimbly followed the bouys until she and her companions cleared the Capes where her initial sea trials could begin.
Is she a Essex? the OTL Wake Island was a Casablanca class CVE launched in 1943.

Who's closer to Berlin? The Western Allies or the Soviets?
Well, Seelow and Brandenburg are both about 70km from Berlin. Both the Soviet corps commander and Slim are probably resting in recently captured territory, so I think the Wallies and the Soviets meet up in Berlin, especially given that the fighting of whatever dregs Germany can muster in an urban environment will take some time to resolve.

Watches are small, portable and valuable. So Soldiers would often loot them, and transport them by, well, wearing them.

More specifically, it's likely referencing the 'Soviets raising the Soviet Flag over the Reichstag' photo... Which was edited by censors to hide the bevy of watches on display.

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
Watches are small, portable and valuable. So Soldiers would often loot them, and transport them by, well, wearing them.

More specifically, it's likely referencing the 'Soviets raising the Soviet Flag over the Reichstag' photo... Which was edited by censors to hide the bevy of watches on display.
I don't think we appreciate the value of a watch anywhere near as much as they did back in the day. You took the time of day from clock towers, factory and shops clocks, the clock in your home, and your wrist watch or fob watch. The others were all static, on the move, you only had the wrist/fob watch. Work times were very regulated, being late meant pay being docked, you would miss trains, and buses, appointments not kept, and in the orderly way of those times, it was heavily frowned upon. A wrist watch with a good mechanism, hand wound, was a need, and in a world of multi currencies, the watch was an easy item to sell on if crossed borders.

Now, battery operated, or mains powered, time is on all our digital devices, most people only wear a watch as jewellery, something big and gadgetry, for guys, heavy, requiring a strong forearm, while for women, something with a brand name on it, regardless of whether they actually make watches. Personally, other than when I ran, I stopped wearing a watch about twenty years ago, the moblie phone does the job. Otherwise, I can always, as the Victorina Music hall song goes "If you want to know the time, ask a Policeman! "

While writing this, it struck me that there was always a ready market for wrist watches in the armed forces, all officers needed one as a matter of course, and probably had a couple of spare in their kit bags, I bet more than a few were happy to buy a nice foreign one off the black market operating within their units!

I recall meeting someone who visited New Zealand in the late 70s-early 80s as a young man, for work. Anyway at the time NZ had tight import barriers and currency controls.
So as he stopped over in Singapore he bought a load of cheap Japanese digital watches (presumably rare / expensive at the time in NZ) and strapped them around his arms, under his shirt. He said he was able to pay for his entertainment/tickets with the money he made selling them at pubs.

The battle for the Seelowe Heights went much better for the Soviets this time around. Was Gothard Hernrici not in command for the Germans? He stalled the Soviets for a few days and made them pay quite a butcher's bill.

While writing this, it struck me that there was always a ready market for wrist watches in the armed forces, all officers needed one as a matter of course, and probably had a couple of spare in their kit bags, I bet more than a few were happy to buy a nice foreign one off the black market operating within their units!
If I remember correctly, the proliforation of Wristwatches amongst men came from WWI, and particularly Trench Warfare. Before that they were seen as a 'Feminine' thing, with men using Pocket Watches.

The battle for the Seelowe Heights went much better for the Soviets this time around. Was Gothard Hernrici not in command for the Germans? He stalled the Soviets for a few days and made them pay quite a butcher's bill.
The Germans are more depleted and getting pressured from more sides. The 1st Echelon of the Red Army was still hit hard but the Germans did not have the gasoline nor the artillery shells to hold as hard or as long OTL

I wonder about the Indian half hour time zone. An analog watch set to Indian time, viewed upside down, shows GMT. Coincidence? Or a clever hack to save impecunious junior officers of the Raj from needing to buy (and wear) two watches?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.