Is there any relatively plausible way to keep the "Indian Empire" together?

For starters, I don't think (nor am I asking) for ideas on how to keep India a part of the British Empire; that takes an ASB post 1857. Perhaps the Indian subcontinent gets its independence and remains a united subcontinent. This could be earlier or later than OTL, but I'm interested in reading people's thoughts and ideas on the subject.

Bonus points if you can have it be a monarchy.

Any TL where Lord Halifax plays more of a role and Winston Churchill less of a one. And where aggressive centralists like Bose and Nehru are kept out of the picture. Jinnah was prepared to settle for an all India Confederation with largely decentralised government. Determination of Congress to push for a powerful centralised (and by default Hindu majority) state appears to have pushed him into partitionism

Any TL where Lord Halifax plays more of a role and Winston Churchill less of a one. And where aggressive centralists like Bose and Nehru are kept out of the picture. Jinnah was prepared to settle for an all India Confederation with largely decentralised government. Determination of Congress to push for a powerful centralised (and by default Hindu majority) state appears to have pushed him into partitionism

In what way could Halifax play more of a role?

A more decentralized India could mean a larger and different India, but I also feel that would be viewed by the populace as a classic "divide and rule" attempt by the British. :/