- I understand his administration(s) was obviously shrouded in scandal.... But the man was a 'once-in-a-generation" retail politican, at least in his own state.

His first administration from 1972-1980, is likely when he would 'launch' his national career. Could this manifest into a Senate run, a run for the Presidency in '76?

Well, Ed-wanh served in the House before being elected Governor. I could see him running for the Senate after the retirement of Russell Long. I don't think he'd translate well nationally though.

Chapman

Donor
His success in Louisiana was largely based on the runoff election system the state had at the time. With all the Democratic and Republican candidates running against each other in the first round, Edwards was typically able to make sure he took the biggest share of the Democrat vote with a support base centered on Cajun, Creole and African American voters. From there it was usually easy to defeat a Republican opponent given the political dynamics of the time.

In a Presidential Election, Edwards wouldn’t have that benefit. Not in the system we have now anyways. With that having been said, had he decided to keep his House seat and plan a path to the Speakership, he might’ve held more national power and influence. I think that would be as far as he could go though; I don’t see him ever getting POTUS even before taking his “ethical concerns” into question. I suppose if somehow he strong-armed his way into the nomination, and went up against a Republican candidate who was exposed as having committed some kind of truly awful crime or some such, it could happen. Edwards did have the most ridiculous kind of luck, particularly looking at his final re-election as Governor against David Duke. So the perfect storm of events isn’t totally out of the question but it seems improbable.

Last edited:
His success in Louisiana was largely based on the runoff election system the state had at the time. With all the Democratic and Republican candidates running against each other in the first round, Edwards was typically able to make sure he took the biggest share of the Democrat vote with a support base centered on Cajun, Creole and African American voters. From there it was usually easy to defeat a Republican opponent given the political dynamics of the time.

In a Presidential Election, Edwards wouldn’t have that benefit. Not in the system we have now anyways. With that having been said, had he decided to keep his House seat and plan a path to the Speakership, he might’ve held more national power and influence. I think that would be as far as he could go though; I don’t see him ever getting POTUS even before taking his “ethical concerns” into question. I suppose if somehow he strong-armed his way into the nomination, and went up against a Republican candidate who was exposed as having committed some kind of truly awful crime or some such, it could happen. Edwards did have the most ridiculous kind of luck, particularly looking at his final re-election as Governor against David Duke. So the perfect storm of events isn’t totally out of the question but it seems improbable.
But he would already be Governor by the time he's running for President, or Senate, my friend. Your paragraph about the jungle system just doesn't make sense, as to justify why he wouldn't have national success.

Chapman

Donor
But he would already be Governor by the time he's running for President, or Senate, my friend. Your paragraph about the jungle system just doesn't make sense, as to justify why he wouldn't have national success.
My point is that Edwards had such success in Louisiana based on very specific conditions in the state of Louisiana. In his time, being the sole Democratic candidate was tantamount to election given how weak the Republican Party was on a state level. This would not be the case in a Presidential Election. If Edwards managed to secure the Democratic nomination for POTUS, it would not be without serious controversy. Hell Jerry Brown is usually considered an eccentric weirdo and an unlikely contender for 1976 - as much as I love Edwin Edwards, he makes Brown look like George Washington. Edwards would divide his party in the name of getting the nomination and then probably drive a number of Democrats to support Ford instead. He had also already been involved in (comparatively minor) corruption scandals by OTL 1976, so his unorthodox style isn’t the only issue. Of course there is the possibility that such a chaotic primary on the Democrats’ part also results in the Republicans swinging further right in reaction - that is to say, if Edwards is the Democrat, Reagan could be the Republican. Talk about a debate I would pay through the nose to see.

as much as I love Edwin Edwards, he makes Brown look like George Washington.
I like Edwin as well, he was certainly a lot more fun than a lot of Louisiana governors....the suggestion that he stay in the House and work his way up the leadership ladder is a good one...as POTUS, he'd be a disaster.

Louisiana's own Eddie the Eagle. He was a unique character with a unique background from a unique area of a unique state. 4 Uniques does not a POTUS make. I guarraanntee it.

Edwin Edwards as a one term flop in 1976 would have the salutory effect of discrediting southern conservadems in a way that sticks enough to kill Clinton's chances.

Yes, Carter failed OTL but Edwards? Big enoguh flop that the national dems would just give up on trying to appeal to New South types and stop fielding conservatives like Clinton/Gore.

Chapman

Donor
Edwin Edwards as a one term flop in 1976 would have the salutory effect of discrediting southern conservadems in a way that sticks enough to kill Clinton's chances.

Yes, Carter failed OTL but Edwards? Big enoguh flop that the national dems would just give up on trying to appeal to New South types and stop fielding conservatives like Clinton/Gore.
Edwards actually wasn’t all that conservative from what I know. He was often considered “the last of the New Deal Southern Democrats.” With that said, if he did win in 1976 and flopped bad enough, he could still impact Clinton specifically - by the time Clinton would be making a name for himself, the comparisons between him and Edwards might hurt him. Being slick and charismatic might end up backfiring as it reminds people of Edwards even in spite of their political differences. Ironically that might make someone more wooden, like Al Gore, the better candidate.

His persona was why I assumed he'd discredit charismatic, slick New South democrats.

I suspect 1992 has an informal "no southerners run" policy in place. POTUS Cuomo, maybe.

His persona was why I assumed he'd discredit charismatic, slick New South democrats.

I suspect 1992 has an informal "no southerners run" policy in place. POTUS Cuomo, maybe.
Why? After 1984 and 1988 sees northern liberals lose a middle-of-the-way southerner will seem like a good bet. What it may do is give Democrats a complex about making sure their candidates are relatively scandal-free, from that POV Gore '92 seems as likely as not.