Ireland if sealion was sucessful

One cannot know what the Unmentionable Sea Mammal is, for it is the bane of Alternative History incarnate.
However, the base for it, and what we really mean by this term is the never attempted ((for VERY good reason)) Operation Sealion, a planned German Invasion of Great Britain during 1940. The reason that we call it the Unmentionable Sea Mammal is because of the sheer number of AH NOOBZ that always use this nearly impossible invasion as the reason the the Nazis win WWII, which IMHO is utterly impossible.

Thanks for the information.

If the island of Britain was invaded, wouldn't you find a lot of British troops (English, Welsh, Scottish) being moved to NI before the Germans launched an invasion of NI too?

Sealion being ludicruous makes a simultaneous invasion of both Britain and NI even more implausible.

I'm imagining that as the Germans fight their way up England, plans are made to evacuate as many troops and equipment to NI as possible, fortifying Ulster so that it can be used to threaten the Germans in Britain.

Would you then see Ireland being courted to join the Axis or Ireland being invaded too?

Either way, surely you'd see the US involved, either helping the Brits defend against the Irish, or helping the Brits/Irish defend against the Germans?

:)

NIK PARMEN

Banned
The actual plans for the invasion of Britain

invasion-f-england-1940.jpg

We also have to consider this:

The NAZIs were quite keen on 'recruiting' the Duke of Windsor (formerly Edward VIII) and installing him as a puppet ruling over 'free' Britain (basically, minus London and SE) in opposition to George VI (who would have been removed to Canada early on.)

I couldn't see the Americans getting involved in 1940. There wasn't much support for direct American involvement up until 1941. Ireland, although important to a lot of Irish-Americans, the US wouldn't have risked Americans lives over it. I think America would've have seen how the 'Battle for Ireland' would've panned out. Then they would have weighed up their options.

If they didnt help the Brits at that stage IOTL, why would they just because Ireland was involved?

I think it would prove to be a now or never moment, if Britain was about to fall then America would surely take the opportunity to 'save' the Allies before that chance was taken away from them once and for all. I think that if the islands of Britain, Ireland (with or without the South), Iceland and Greenland were all in German hands, Washington would have to do something. If they didn't make a move then, they'd know they would be fucked in the long term, so I think they'd become involved.

:)

MacCaulay

Banned
I think we're all overlooking the great battle that's been set up here: the giant drinking contest that is the Irish and the Germans.

Mano a Mano, a drink to the death for the freedom of Eire!

If the Germans manage to pull a flukey sea lion they'd then have to do the same again only worse to invade Northern Ireland.

Assuming a ASB total British collapse and everything though...I'd imagine the Germans never touch Ireland. N.Ireland is taken by Eire and Eire remains as a sort of Finland only less so- German friendly but not allied and certainly not a puppet. And non-fascist.

If the Germans manage to pull a flukey sea lion they'd then have to do the same again only worse to invade Northern Ireland.

Assuming a ASB total British collapse and everything though...I'd imagine the Germans never touch Ireland. N.Ireland is taken by Eire and Eire remains as a sort of Finland only less so- German friendly but not allied and certainly not a puppet. And non-fascist.

The Germans actually devised a plan to invade Ireland called 'Operation Green'. This involved the initial landing of motorised infantry and commandos on the south coast. So, Hitler and his cronies must have certainly seriously thought about it. Whether this plan was to be carried out after the fall of the UK or carried out alongside 'Sealion' I'm not sure, but a plan there definately was.

DeValera, despite his anti-British stance and Ireland's official neutrality, privately acknowledged to London that the Free State's security was reliant on a Britain free and outside German influence and that an attack on Britain would give Britain and the Free State a 'common cause' in the defeat of the common enemy. This view, although never went as far as to make Ireland an active participant alongside the British Empire, did allow it to consistantly pass any information on Nazi Germany that fell into Dublin's hands direct to London. It also allowed Dublin to turn a blind eye to the amount of Irish citizens that joined the British Army between 1939-45.

Politically, the Irish Government were aware that they may come under attack if Britain did. Also, London was aware of the strategic importance of Ireland in any potential invasion of Britain Consequently, Dublin and London devised a plan of operation called Plan W, which would be Britain and Ireland's response to a German invasion of the Free State. Thankfully, 'Plan W' never had to be implimented.

Last edited: