Into the Cincoverse - The Cinco de Mayo EU Thread and Wikibox Repository

Good q on cricket. It’s obviously huge in the subcontinent, Australia, etc. might have more of a Canadian following too with Canada staying culturally influenced by Britain for longer
Also worth noting that cricket was big in Argentina - and had sizeable followings in a few other countries (including the US in Philadelphia!) - but countries outside the British Empire were essentially locked out from international competition due to the formation of the Imperial Cricket Conference. The decision to exclude other countries was a controversial one, and only won by a handful of votes.

With a wealthier and more stable Argentina, it seems likely that decision would go the other way. That could have large butterflies, with cricket becoming much more globally popular, or just mean Argentina (and possibly Uruguay) get added to the small list of Test cricket playing countries.

Note that AC Milan is called "AC" because it started out as a cricket club.

Also worth noting that cricket was big in Argentina - and had sizeable followings in a few other countries (including the US in Philadelphia!) - but countries outside the British Empire were essentially locked out from international competition due to the formation of the Imperial Cricket Conference. The decision to exclude other countries was a controversial one, and only won by a handful of votes.

With a wealthier and more stable Argentina, it seems likely that decision would go the other way. That could have large butterflies, with cricket becoming much more globally popular, or just mean Argentina (and possibly Uruguay) get added to the small list of Test cricket playing countries.

Note that AC Milan is called "AC" because it started out as a cricket club.
I think that Cricket's popularity would still be tied to how British-influenced a place was, but still have a broader footprint than OTL's ICC Test countries. So perhaps Guyana and Jamaica have their own teams rather than West Indian outfit, and Argentina/Uruguay/Brazil all play the sport, and so on.

A United India probably makes international cricket competitions pretty hard to make work, though, lol

I think that Cricket's popularity would still be tied to how British-influenced a place was, but still have a broader footprint than OTL's ICC Test countries. So perhaps Guyana and Jamaica have their own teams rather than West Indian outfit, and Argentina/Uruguay/Brazil all play the sport, and so on.

A United India probably makes international cricket competitions pretty hard to make work, though, lol
It is entirely possible that United India may have more people than all of the other Nations likely to participate in an international cricket tournament. Is there any possibility of sub-national groups (by state) participating? (Unfortunately, Uttar Pradesh is likely to have more people by 2023 than any independent nation that would have a team)

I think the idea of a united India dominating all international cricket is a bit of red herring: after all, OTL India is still demographically massive but has historically punched well below its weight for a whole bunch of reasons (although that looks like it's changing). One the other hand, if international cricket does become a competition to see who can be the second best after India, there are a couple of ways out of this:
  • International cricket is just an uncompetitive global tournament but there are bilateral series which have their own histories and rivalries (i.e. a bit like OTL);
  • The domestic game retains primacy over international tournaments (which was the case OTL until about the 1970s anyway, at least in terms of quality); or
  • There are several "Indian" national teams representing different regions (Bengal, Punjab, Carnatic, Deccan etc.) or major princely states depending on what happens to them, much like how the people from the OTL UK can play for the England, Scotland and Ireland national teams.
More so than with many other sports, cricket really could have developed in so many radically different directions from OTL so it's an interesting thing to explore in a TL.

2023-24 Hockey League - sportsnet.us
Takeaways one month in

One month in to the Hockey League's run to the Stanley Cup Finals, we have our first takeaways of the season - and they may surprise you.

Cleveland Barons Stay Hot - The defending Champions have not missed a bit in the first month of play, quietly winning ten of twelve games and leading the Hockey League in scoring. They haven't entered the meat of their schedule yet, but so far, the same group that hoisted Cleveland's first Stanley Cup last spring and partnered with the Rams to end the city's twenty-two year sports drought are looking just as good as they did then, if not better.
Quakers For Real - It would be remiss not to point out, though, that the Barons are not the best team in their own conference. After missing the playoffs five straight seasons, Philadelphia has won their first thirteen games, accumulated full points, and if the playoffs started today would be far and away leaders for the President's Cup. They are the first team since the 1996 Red Wings to open a season with thirteen wins and are closing in on the 2006 Red Wings' record of sixteen straight wins. How are they doing it? By playing tough, defensive hockey and winning on breakaways and steals. That dependence on opportunities rather than scoring power is likely not sustainable, but what a start to the season nonetheless, a run that so far augurs two of the best squads in the history of the modern sport. That being said, there are plenty of cases that urge caution; Montreal opened with eleven straight wins in 2019-20 and won sixteen of seventeen to begin their campaign, and they failed to advance to the Playoff.
Canucks Back? - The Vancouver Canucks of the early 2010s are one of the few groups that can make a reasonable challenge to second place in the Hockey League of the last 30 years behind the Red Wings dynasty of 1995-08. Winning back-to-back Presidents' Trophies and Stanley Cups - the only team to ever do so, considering that the Trophy is generally regarded as a curse - the Canucks blasted their way to consecutive 120 point seasons and in 2011 did not lose a Playoff game until the seven-game classic Finals against Boston. The current group looks eerily reminiscent, already having raced out to 24 points - just one behind the Quakers - and a head and shoulders lead in the West with nobody else even close. This promising start looks balanced enough to carry the day, and at least build a strong points bank ahead of the Playoff.
What's Wrong in Edmonton? - In sharp contrast, last year's first seed (indeed, first seed the last four years) in the West is mired in seventh place and does not look ready to attempt to avenge its heartbreaking loss in Game Seven of the Stanley Cup Finals to Cleveland last spring. Connor McDavid has suffered numerous injuries, and the defense cannot stop anything. The only consolation is that other Playoff teams from the West from last year like Seattle and Los Angeles are similarly struggling early, suggesting a conference-wide shakeup, but Oilers had high ambitions to win the club's first Stanley Cup after coming so close to the silverware. What a hangover.
First to Worst? - What a difference eighteen months make. In late May of 2022, the Totems were hoisting their fourth Stanley Cup since 2007 and fifth in club history, sending Henrik Lundqvist off with one last championship in his remarkable but uneven swansong season. Today, they are in last place in the West, having won a single game and unable to stop anyone after making the Western Semis last year. While Sidney Crosby is still a solid scorer, even he is showing his age, and it may be time to cashier some of the veterans of this decorated squad that is up there with the Red Wings, Canucks and Sabres of the world as 21st century powerhouses and start from scratch.

The Vancouver Canucks of the early 2010s are one of the few groups that can make a reasonable challenge to second place in the Hockey League of the last 30 years behind the Red Wings dynasty of 1995-08. Winning back-to-back Presidents' Trophies and Stanley Cups - the only team to ever do so, considering that the Trophy is generally regarded as a curse - the Canucks blasted their way to consecutive 120 point seasons and in 2011 did not lose a Playoff game until the seven-game classic Finals against Boston
Can this thread please be relocated to ASB? :closedeyesmile:

Can this thread please be relocated to ASB? :closedeyesmile:
Ha!
In this timeline this guy is rioting for a happy reason!

Signed, a Chicago Blackhawks fan (who apparently has gotten completely fucked over ITTL)
Funny enough my friends and I almost drove up to Vancouver to be in the city during Game 7 and watched in bafflement as that shitshow unfolded on TV afterwards

Knowing Vancouver they’d probably still riot after a win

I think the idea of a united India dominating all international cricket is a bit of red herring: after all, OTL India is still demographically massive but has historically punched well below its weight for a whole bunch of reasons (although that looks like it's changing). One the other hand, if international cricket does become a competition to see who can be the second best after India, there are a couple of ways out of this:
  • International cricket is just an uncompetitive global tournament but there are bilateral series which have their own histories and rivalries (i.e. a bit like OTL);
  • The domestic game retains primacy over international tournaments (which was the case OTL until about the 1970s anyway, at least in terms of quality); or
  • There are several "Indian" national teams representing different regions (Bengal, Punjab, Carnatic, Deccan etc.) or major princely states depending on what happens to them, much like how the people from the OTL UK can play for the England, Scotland and Ireland national teams.
More so than with many other sports, cricket really could have developed in so many radically different directions from OTL so it's an interesting thing to explore in a TL.
There may be teams like the OTL Indian Premier League based on certain cities/regions.

God I hope Wisconsin gets an NHL team in this ATL - the fact that we don't have one in OTL is a travesty!
Far be it for me to defend the honor of the great state of Wisconsin but you aren't wrong here. Only like a dozen states actually care about hockey and Wisconsin certainly is one of them. Whenever the saga of the Phoenix/Arizona Coyotes ends they should move to Milwaukee.

Far be it from me to defend the honor of the great state of Wisconsin but you aren't wrong here. Only like a dozen states actually care about hockey and Wisconsin certainly is one of them. Whenever the saga of the Phoenix/Arizona Coyotes ends they should move to Milwaukee.
When I was organizing my plans for the Hockey League, and to keep it at 24 clubs, Wisco unfortunately got the shaft in my endeavor to A) avoid some Sun Belt relos and B) have Chicago and Detroit in the West
Regarding the Totems: Hey, it's only a month into the season. Plenty of time to get their asses in gear.
True!

When I was organizing my plans for the Hockey League, and to keep it at 24 clubs, Wisco unfortunately got the shaft in my endeavor to A) avoid some Sun Belt relos and B) have Chicago and Detroit in the West

*Screams in Wisconsinite Rage*

That's it! I demand at least ONE Presidency to make up for this slight! One Presidency and Four Super Bowl wins (or, whatever the top Rugby Cup is called).

*Screams in Wisconsinite Rage*

That's it! I demand at least ONE Presidency to make up for this slight! One Presidency and Four Super Bowl wins (or, whatever the top Rugby Cup is called).
Wisconsin Badgers will be a college power, incidentally, and in more than one sport
Will hockey be just as big in Eastern Europe ITTL? There would be a huge talent hole in the league without it.
To an extent, I’d say? Probably similar in Sweden/Finland, maybe bigger in Norway with longer Swedish influence, probably bigger in Germany (not saying much), probably way smaller in Bohemia/OTL Czech without the Soviet influence

That said it might actually be bigger in Russia since the conditions that make Russia culturally and geographically ideal for ice hockey are still there but it can grow organically rather than the more top down introduction in the 1940s USSR. And it being way bigger in the US adds to the talent piece, too.