Independent Chaos Redux: Part 1- The Rise of UKIP

Headline-photo-Headline is a real lacking way to write a timeline. There's no finesse here and it seems to me a timeline where a fringe party drags one of the big ones along with it would require some. Especially when so much in politics isn't decided in front of the cameras.

OK, it's just I cannot write conversations at all.
I was planning to add analytical articles like on the BBC website. Also what I could do is what I did in the original Independent Chaos where I did short updates.

OK, it's just I cannot write conversations at all.
I was planning to add analytical articles like on the BBC website. Also what I could do is what I did in the original Independent Chaos where I did short updates.

As someone who does write using a similar TL style, I'd suggest at least a little more detail and explanation/exposition. Talk about what's actually going on in the race, for instance - don't just handwave it and say "UKIP gaining in Eastleigh", say why. "Analysts believe that the crash of the Tory vote is giving new impetus to the UKIP efforts", for instance.

Seconded. Write some prose and put some time into this, rather than putting this irritating dross up. If I wanted to look at leering fuckwits like George Osborne and Farage, I'd buy a newspaper.

If you struggle with conversations, try talking to yourself outloud. The ear is a fine censor.

Last edited:
Headline-photo-Headline is a real lacking way to write a timeline. There's no finesse here and it seems to me a timeline where a fringe party drags one of the big ones along with it would require some. Especially when so much in politics isn't decided in front of the cameras.

On top of this - the photos don't add anything. Most of us know what Nigel Farage and Boris Johnson look like and, even if we didn't, we can Google them.

I am a big fan of using some illustrations in timelines, but the best ones are always those that have been altered or made from scratch. I know that not everyone can afford to pay £200 for Photoshop (which I am sure that everyone, including me, has totally acquired entirely legitimately) - so you don't have to do them. If you have to use visual aids from real life, they should be in a 500:1 words to picture ratio at most (ideally, just post them in their own thread or at the start of the update to set the scene.)

I have to agree with Japhy here. There is nothing wrong with the idea of a splintered party system timeline (AndyC's SUPERB Fourth Lecture/Maybe the Horse ones being perfect examples) - but that involved extensive research, looking into the effects of how a tiny shift in voting preferences could lead to a massive change in the party standings (or the other way around, which is even more interesting!)

Putting a couple of headlines without commentary is lazy.

As I said, there is a lot of potential here, and I know that I, Japhy or many of the other people on the board would be happy to give you some pointers (hell, I'm always happy to take Photoshop commissions for alternate election posters and the like!) - so don't take this as an insult or me insulting you. I just want to see an interesting idea done properly.