In Perpetuity: The War for Hong Kong

Wargame starts off with British forces and carrier group magically in HK already, apparently the PLA held off until the British deploys their forces before attacking.

It took 2 weeks for the British to land troops in Falklands so at -best- you can expect a similar time frame, the Chinese can take the city in a day.

The Chinese were being polite. They wanted a good fight.

HK gets something like 70% of its water supply from the PRC during the time period.

How long do you think your reservoirs are going to last?

The capacity of the resevoirs in hk is a bit less than 500 million cubic metres, while the water usage at that time is around 700 (now 900), so if there is no reduction in consumption or rationing it is around 9 months.

But something could be done.

RousseauX

Donor
The capacity of the resevoirs in hk is a bit less than 500 million cubic metres, while the water usage at that time is around 700 (now 900), so if there is no reduction in consumption or rationing it is around 9 months.

Ok so assuming that the reservoirs are full at the start what's the next move?

The economy crashes overnight, 5 million and a half of Hong Kong citizens suddenly find themselves in a warzone. Mass panic ensues, protests, riots, looting occur across the city, suddenly thousands of refugees begin to jump onto every available plane/boat in sight, others find themselves streaming across the Chinese border.

Thats before the first shot is even fired.

Well fook. I don't think anyone's ever done something like this before, so you obviously have my attention. Subbed.

Think there was a "HK Civil War" scenario once, but yeah a Britain-China war was never done before.
Why were the British going to war with China again if they don't have the troops stationed for it?

Think there was a "HK Civil War" scenario once, but yeah a Britain-China war was never done before.
Why were the British going to war with China again if they don't have the troops stationed for it?

Maybe Taiwan will get involved in the war and aid British troops.

Britain's best hope is that the US navy is there to assist them.

The US navy won't be enough to stop the Chinese from literally walking into Hong Kong. Why would they do that anyways? This was the period of the Sino-American alliance against the "Evil Soviets". Why would the United States sacrifice a key strategic partner over what is a colonial war?

The US navy won't be enough to stop the Chinese from literally walking into Hong Kong. Why would they do that anyways? This was the period of the Sino-American alliance against the "Evil Soviets". Why would the United States sacrifice a key strategic partner over what is a colonial war?

I agree, but if UK wants to retake Hong Kong, there going to need US help, I don't think that the British could beat the Chinese in a limited conventional war scenario.

I agree, but if UK wants to retake Hong Kong, there going to need US help, I don't think that the British could beat the Chinese in a limited conventional war scenario.

How in god's green earth are the British or the Americans going to dislodge the Chinese and retake Hong Kong after they lose it? Probabilty of success is one atom next to impossible.

I'm just surprised the British didn't think this one thoroughly enough and station more troops there.

And they thought they could try an amphibious attack? Against a well-defended garrison???
The urban warfare would just be horrifying.

I'm sure Hong Kong going down Stalingrad style will sit well with the public. The Hong Kong public won't want their city to become a burnt out husk, the UK buisness lobby won't want their investement become a burnt out husk, the "Free world" won't stand by Britain fighting a colonial war, the other half is communist and will milk this to kingdom come. No one will support a war except for the Chinese who are fighting "a war of liberation to reunify the motherland". This is no Falkland where the population is a grand total of 78 people and 140 sheep and the PLA sure isn't a Junta's conscript army.

A better POD is Michael Foot makes a pact with the devil to assure he wins the election but has to fight China to please the Dark Lord.