I'm Going to Disney World: An Open Collaborative Sports TL

Fall 1960: Looking for a hook to draw more interest in his expansion team as well as trying to expand his team's initial market, Max Winter asks the AFL to allow his Vikings a fifth exhibition game, which he then schedules a "home/home" agreement with the CFL's Winnipeg Blue Bombers where they will alternate between stadiums and their respective AFL or CFL rules for the next four years.

While the first game ends with his Vikings being blown out by the Blue Bombers 27-3 in Winnipeg due to not getting enough passports for his players in time, a fight breaks out after an off handed remark by a fill in player, Max Stewart is taken as a Canadian slur by a Winnipeg player. The ensuing skirmish, while an embarrassment to both teams' owners and leagues, will see an increased interest in fans for what will become a heated rivalry.

Fall 1960: Looking for a hook to draw more interest in his expansion team as well as trying to expand his team's initial market, Max Winter asks the AFL to allow his Vikings a fifth exhibition game, which he then schedules a "home/home" agreement with the CFL's Winnipeg Blue Bombers where they will alternate between stadiums and their respective AFL or CFL rules for the next four years.

While the first game ends with his Vikings being blown out by the Blue Bombers 27-3 in Winnipeg due to not getting enough passports for his players in time, a fight breaks out after an off handed remark by a fill in player, Max Stewart is taken as a Canadian slur by a Winnipeg player. The ensuing skirmish, while an embarrassment to both teams' owners and leagues, will see an increased interest in fans for what will become a heated rivalry.

Neat. Makes me wonder what CFL rules will appear in the American game. Hello, rouge point?

Neat. Makes me wonder what CFL rules will appear in the American game. Hello, rouge point?

That depends on if the CFL and AFL were to merge. The way I imagine the exhibitions would be along the lines of NL vs AL baseball in terms of using a DH in that they follow the rules of the home team.

At this point of time in the beginning of the AFL, given they only have 8 teams compared to the NFL, I imagine they're glancing towards the CFL every now and then but for the moment it's merely two teams playing in exhibition games.

That depends on if the CFL and AFL were to merge. The way I imagine the exhibitions would be along the lines of NL vs AL baseball in terms of using a DH in that they follow the rules of the home team.

At this point of time in the beginning of the AFL, given they only have 8 teams compared to the NFL, I imagine they're glancing towards the CFL every now and then but for the moment it's merely two teams playing in exhibition games.

Hmm, AFL-CFL in one conference and NFL in the other...add in two expansion teams and we should be at 36.

Other possible CFL-AFL preseason matchups....

Los Angeles (or San Diego?) Chargers vs. BC Lions

Boston Patriots vs Montreal Alouettes

Buffalo Bills vs Toronto Argonauts

New York Titans vs Ottawa Rough Riders

Calgary, Edmonton or Saskatchewan vs Denver Broncos

The issue with an AFL-CFL(the new league would be Called North American Football League?) is how mixed both rules...would canadian push for canadian size fields in exchange of four downs? would america pressure for fair catch in exchange keep the rouge? unlimited field motion? live ball rules?

Possible names for Minnesota's NHL franchise...
- Twins
- Timberwolves
- North Stars
- Lumberjacks
- Loons
- Polars
- Moose
- Muskies

St Louis on the other hand could still be the Blues.

The issue with an AFL-CFL(the new league would be Called North American Football League?) is how mixed both rules...would canadian push for canadian size fields in exchange of four downs? would america pressure for fair catch in exchange keep the rouge? unlimited field motion? live ball rules?

You'd probably see the AFL/CFL exist separately longer than the AFL did by itself, allowing for an analogy to the Grey Cup existing for the AFL to develop. Depending on conference setups for a full merger, there'd probably be even more of an identity between the AFL/CFL and NFL rather than easily sliding to merely the AFC and NFC with greater importance on winning your league and then winning the overall championship.

And how the rules develop would be based on the financial situation for each league. If the AFL really needs the CFL or vice versa, then whoever had the leverage would get the most rule changes. If they joined as equals then it'd really get interesting and there'd probably be a lot of backroom dealing for rule changes vs other benefits or the next expansion team, etc.

An overall merge would probably be closer to NFL football compared to CFL football though, just based on concessions being made first to the AFL and then the NFL.

Who knows, maybe down the line it'll create enough discontent that there'll be a Canadian version of the USFL using the "original" rules. That would likely require a big jump in interest in football in Canada.

You'd probably see the AFL/CFL exist separately longer than the AFL did by itself, allowing for an analogy to the Grey Cup existing for the AFL to develop. Depending on conference setups for a full merger, there'd probably be even more of an identity between the AFL/CFL and NFL rather than easily sliding to merely the AFC and NFC with greater importance on winning your league and then winning the overall championship.

And how the rules develop would be based on the financial situation for each league. If the AFL really needs the CFL or vice versa, then whoever had the leverage would get the most rule changes. If they joined as equals then it'd really get interesting and there'd probably be a lot of backroom dealing for rule changes vs other benefits or the next expansion team, etc.

An overall merge would probably be closer to NFL football compared to CFL football though, just based on concessions being made first to the AFL and then the NFL.

Who knows, maybe down the line it'll create enough discontent that there'll be a Canadian version of the USFL using the "original" rules. That would likely require a big jump in interest in football in Canada.
I would want a Merger of Equals so rules would negotiated..i think canadians would accept american sizes rather loss their motion rules, 4th down, and so on, it would be interesting how that negotiated. As you say, the Grey Cup would be cup both champions want and each won their respective leagues, but still to early how that would unfold.

Winter 1960-61

Calvin Griffith formally announces the move of the Washington Senators to Baltimore, where they will be known as the Orioles.

Coach Frank Clair and quarterback Russ Jackson lead the Ottawa Rough Riders to a blowout win over the Edmonton Eskimos to win the 48th Grey Cup in Vancouver.

Final AFL Standings for 1960

Eastern Division
Boston Patriots 10-4
Baltimore Colts 7-7
Buffalo Bills 5-8-1
New York Titans 5-9

Western Division
Minnesota Vikings 10-4
Los Angeles Chargers 8-6
Denver Broncos 6-8
Kansas City Chiefs 4-9-1

1960 AFL Championship
New Year's Day 1961

George Blanda and the Minnesota Vikings defeat Gino Cappelletti the Boston Patriots 30-24 in front of 43,000 in ice cold, snow covered Metropolitan Stadium. The game was played in the coldest temperature ever for a football game, at -32 degrees, a record that would stand for more than two decades.

Winter 1961 - The newly inaugurated St. Louis Cardinals surge to an 8-4 record but fall short of the title game, as the Philadelphia Eagles defeat the Detroit Lions 27-20 in a game witnessed by over 55 million people.

The AL and NL absorb the eight PCL franchises. The Los Angeles Angels join the American League along with the Vancouver Mounties, Seattle Rainiers, and Portland Beavers; the NL gets the San Francisco Seals, Sacramento Solons, and San Diego Padres along with the Hollywood Stars. Both leagues vote to expand to 14 teams apiece by 1964; the leagues will not split into divisions until that time, and the schedule will remain at 154 games, with each team playing each league opponent 14 times.

Spring 1961 - The New York Yankees open their season with a 4-3 win over the Seattle Rainiers. The Baltimore Orioles open with a loss to the Vancouver Mounties.

The Montreal Canadiens sweep the Detroit Red Wings for the Stanley Cup.

The Boston Celtics win their third straight NBA championship over the resurgent Lakers, who will rebrand as the Minnesota Lakers for the following season.

The Portland NFL franchise will be called the Lumberjacks and will play in the Delta Dome starting in 1961.

1961 Pro Football Drafts: In the AFL Draft, the Chiefs take Tommy Mason in Round 1, and the Cardinals take QB Norm Snead #1 overall in the NFL Draft.

The Portland NFL franchise will be called the Lumberjacks and will play in the Delta Dome starting in 1961.

I don't know if they would get the Delta Dome built that soon. They may have to play in Memorial Stadium (I think that's what it's called) for a couple years before they finalize the location. The Delta Dome location (Vanport) was the site of a flood in 1948. They may build the stadium somewhere else in the city instead.

I don't know if they would get the Delta Dome built that soon. They may have to play in Memorial Stadium (I think that's what it's called) for a couple years before they finalize the location. The Delta Dome location (Vanport) was the site of a flood in 1948. They may build the stadium somewhere else in the city instead.

If there are issues with the stadium, the team could make other arrangements for a year or two. Crap happens.

Actually it sounds like that's the reason why the site was chosen. It was originally a housing development that was flooded in 1948 but afterward was a park and now it's a municipal park with sports and racing.

Actually it sounds like that's the reason why the site was chosen. It was originally a housing development that was flooded in 1948 but afterward was a park and now it's a municipal park with sports and racing.
Plus the Dome was to build early but politicking killed it a long term, seems they got with first idea and pulled it.

So AFL future? will merge? who? or will stand on his way?

Plus the Dome was to build early but politicking killed it a long term, seems they got with first idea and pulled it.

So AFL future? will merge? who? or will stand on his way?

We might be roping the CFL into this, so the merger (which probably will happen) will be bigger but delayed and under different circumstances. Also if the WFL does better, some of their franchises could be absorbed.

We might be roping the CFL into this, so the merger (which probably will happen) will be bigger but delayed and under different circumstances. Also if the WFL does better, some of their franchises could be absorbed.
Yeah slowly and we could discuss how the rules evolved in a merger(i knew canadian will pressure their rules as AFL was pretty pass happy, but would add a 4th down to add more ground game who is more like in the US, stadium will be the big issue, will stadium adapt to canadian standards? or might get into americans one exchanges time managment and motion rules be used?).

About WFL... maybe earlier souther team? A CFL-AFL merger can easily add an extra team to chicago.