If the UK became a Republic, what would happen to the armed forces?

If the British monarchy were to be abolished, what would the various sectors of the Armed Forces (The Royal Navy and the Royal Airforce) become? And what would naval ships be called instead of "HMS"?

My initial thoughts is that it would probably weigh quite heavily on how and why the monarchy went away.

If the British monarchy were to be abolished, what would the various sectors of the Armed Forces (The Royal Navy and the Royal Airforce) become? And what would naval ships be called instead of "HMS"?

British Republic Ship (BRS) Invicible
British Air Force (BAF)
British Navy (BN)
British Army (BA)

Not much to do here, tbh. Unless the Uk becomes a comunits country, in which case simply add "People's" to the mix: BPAF.

I understand that the EU has a secret plan to demand this of the U.K. in the event of a remain vote, by next week the Queen will be arrested and the armed forces disbanded. The French and German army will then take responsibility for the defence of the U.K. and for internal security operations. :)

British Republic Ship (BRS) Invicible
British Air Force (BAF)
British Navy (BN)
British Army (BA)

Not much to do here, tbh. Unless the Uk becomes a comunits country, in which case simply add "People's" to the mix: BPAF.

The Army would remain the British Army, it isnt royal to begin with, though I guess that demonstrates the model which would be followed with the other armed forces.

Deleted member 94680

The Army would remain the British Army, it isnt royal to begin with, though I guess that demonstrates the model which would be followed with the other armed forces.

Well the Army is just "The Army" in British references, it's only "the British Army" when mentioned by foreigners.

Note, however, that many Regiments in the Army have "Royal" titles. They'd all have to change.

It might depend how and why UK becomes republic.

But perhaps Royal Air Forces would be Red Air Forces if there is communist revolution.

Deleted member 94680

It might depend how and why UK becomes republic.

But perhaps Royal Air Forces would be Red Air Forces if there is communist revolution.

Was there ever an actual "Red Air Force" or was that just an euphemism in propaganda for the Soviet Air Force(s)?

Otherwise it's just going to be a proliferation of "People's this" and "People's that"

Was there ever an actual "Red Air Force" or was that just an euphemism in propaganda for the Soviet Air Force(s)?

Otherwise it's just going to be a proliferation of "People's this" and "People's that"

Nope, though the army was the "Workers' and Peasants' Red Army". The Air Forces were disappointincly prosaic things like Military Air Forces and Air Defence Troops.

We kept the title Defender of the Faith and the Armed forces do have a lot of connections with the Monarchy so tbh I would not be surprised if the RN and RAF and Army just maintain their traditions with some hasty edits to things like the Oath.

The Queen will take her Navy and her Airforce and move to Canada. They'll then be divided between the remaining Commonwealth Realms.

All the corps of regiments of the Army have with the honorific title "Royal" discarded. E.g., The Royal Regiment of Artillery becomes, The Regiment of Artillery and The Royal Tank Regiment becomes, The Tank Regiment. There were several regiments with names prefixed Queen's Own and King's Own, they would have to be dropped. E.g. The Kings Own Border Regiment becomes the Border Regiment.

There used to be King's and Queen's Regiments, these presumably become the President's regiments or get new names based on their recruiting areas. Similarly regiments named after members of the Royal Family, e.g. Prince of Wales Regiment, are renamed after their recruiting regiments. Or they are renamed after republican heroes, e.g. Oliver Cromwell's Regiment.

The two new aircraft carriers probably get renamed Oliver Cromwell and Republic respectively. As it happens Churchill when he was First Lord of the Admiralty wanted to name one of the Queen Elisabeth's, Oliver Cromwell.

But it goes further than that...
  • No more Royal Mail and therefore no more Royal Mail Ships (RMS) so the RMS Titanic becomes the Consignia Ship Titanic.
  • The Royal Research Ship Boaty McBoatface becomes the Research Ship Boaty McBoatface.
  • The Royal Shakespeare Company becomes the Shakespeare Company.
  • The Royal National Lifeboat Service becomes the National Lifeboat Service.
To name but a few.

Of course all members of the armed forces will need to re-attest the oath of allegiance to a new formula. Embarrassing if they all say 'no thank you' and go home.

The existing attestation: I, [serviceperson's name], swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, her heirs and successors and that I will as in duty bound honestly and faithfully defend Her Majesty, her heirs and successors in person, crown and dignity against all enemies and will observe and obey all orders of Her Majesty, her heirs and successors and of the generals and officers set over me.

Allegedly many have sworn on the Oxford English Dictionary when a Bible was not to hand and the recruit has it snatched away before they find out. Before anyone asks; there are forms to cope with various faiths and aetheists but 'Almighty God' covers all the monotheists. Just change the book.

Tovarich

Banned
"........and you join us here on the BBC for coverage of the Republic's newest aircraft carrier's launching.
No longer to be called Queen Elizabeth, of course, but still HMS or Huge Muthafuckin' Ship."

Of course all members of the armed forces will need to re-attest the oath of allegiance to a new formula. Embarrassing if they all say 'no thank you' and go home.

The existing attestation: I, [serviceperson's name], swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, her heirs and successors and that I will as in duty bound honestly and faithfully defend Her Majesty, her heirs and successors in person, crown and dignity against all enemies and will observe and obey all orders of Her Majesty, her heirs and successors and of the generals and officers set over me.

Allegedly many have sworn on the Oxford English Dictionary when a Bible was not to hand and the recruit has it snatched away before they find out. Before anyone asks; there are forms to cope with various faiths and aetheists but 'Almighty God' covers all the monotheists. Just change the book.

Wouldn't the Republic be considered a "successor"?